Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Need advice on laptop problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687369)

andrewstevenson 30-04-2012 21:03

Need advice on laptop problem

A laptop has lines from top to bottom but don't go, reformat fixes problem will problem come back I e graphic card causing it and why does reformat fix it temp

idi banashapan 30-04-2012 22:26

Re: advice laptop

what?

jempalmer 30-04-2012 22:34

I think the OP is asking why a reformat on their laptop temporarily fixes the lines on the screen. Not clear whether these lines are horizontal or vertical from the description. Personally I can't see how reformatting/reinstalling will "temporarily" cure what I'd assume is a graphics driver or hardware issue.

@andrewstevenson. Could we have a little more info please?

andrewstevenson 01-05-2012 00:03

It's vertical lines computer is 5 years old, a reformat worked but I hear this is a temp fix as it is a graphic card issue, how long it take to come back again

jempalmer 01-05-2012 00:19

I've never heard of a reformat temporarily curing a hardware problem. They are two separate issues. When you reformat and reinstall your operating system the only effect you are having on the graphics is reinstalling the drivers for it. I think that this "fix" is very probably a coincidence. It sounds like the graphics hardware is failing. Being a laptop, and quite an old one, I think it's time to buy a replacement machine. The graphics hardware is integrated into the motherboard and so is not really repairable.

andrewstevenson 01-05-2012 00:24

It's my mums laptop, she ordered new laptop but she don't wanna let this one go

jempalmer 01-05-2012 00:29

I'm sorry about that but 5 years is not a bad lifespan for a laptop. I assume that you backed up all her data before you reformatted it? If so then at least you can transfer it all to her new machine.

Jimmy-J 01-05-2012 01:37

What you could do to determine whether it's a problem the hardware or software, is to run a bootable copy of Linux from a CD or a USB pen. If the lines are still there then it's very likely that your video is indeed on it's way out.

Saying that, I think it's just an issue with the drivers your using. Do the lines only return after you've reinstalled the video drivers? Try updating them.

andrewstevenson 01-05-2012 07:35

That's true thank you

Kymmy 01-05-2012 10:13

It's rare but drivers can cause a memory/data issue with the graphics cards.. Most of the time if it vanishes on a format and then re-appears later it's a driver fault (or possibly still a hardware heat related issue as the laptop GFX chipset isn't being stressed on a reinstall)

Also on the reformat you may find that the older drivers work fine but as it gets updated the newer drivers cause the issue. Just set updates to manual and make sure you hide any gfx updates (or roll back to manufacturer/chipset old drivers once updated)

GavChap 01-05-2012 12:09

Could be a heat issue, I'd probably want to try opening up the laptop and blowing all the dust out you can, 5 years worth of accumulated dust can cause issues. I've got a 6 year old laptop that's still running as good as when I bought it, but that's because I usually get a can of air and blow all the dust out about once a year.

Kymmy 01-05-2012 13:45

If it is heat related it would be nothing to do with dust.. More than likely a dry joint on the GFX board or if a sub board possibly corrosion on the connectors. Prolonged heat will cause the joint to move and create problems..

A few question for the OP is are the lines

1#Are the lines on the bios screen or is there any other corruption on the bios screen?
2#Are the line visible from the start of the desktop being loaded 3#or do they appear after a time.

If yes to the 1# then it's hardware problem if though no to that question and yes to 2# then it's probably a driver issue but if part 3# is relevant then it's again hardware..

martyh 01-05-2012 18:23

Sounds just like my old lappy .After about 6 years the screen started having red white and blue verticle lines ,just one to start with then over time more would appear but sometines they weren't there all the time,i could flex the screen to make them disappear then a bit later they may appear again .I think the fact that they disapeared after a format is just coincidence ,i think the screen is knackered

Wallace 02-05-2012 15:10

Chances are at 5 years old, that the ribbon cable that connects the LCD panel to the motherboard has become fatigued and the conductors have fractured and now have an intermittent connection. Do the lines move when you place the screen in a different position?

martyh 02-05-2012 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace (Post 35422286)
Chances are at 5 years old, that the ribbon cable that connects the LCD panel to the motherboard has become fatigued and the conductors have fractured and now have an intermittent connection. Do the lines move when you place the screen in a different position?

mine did ,and i think that's what's wrong with the ops laptop