Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Ethernet Cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705323)

spiderplant 30-08-2017 17:58

Re: Ethernet Cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35914596)
Buy a couple of cables from a pound shop.

No, don't. VM will provide one with the V6

Gavin-D 30-08-2017 17:58

I have no issue what so ever with 2 V6s which are connected via wifi whilst an Ethernet Cable is recommended it's not essential if you don't want home plugs or extra long cables

Mad Max 30-08-2017 17:59

I'm getting two V6's installed on Monday, I don't want my superhub moved at all, and my main TV is approx 11 metres from where my superhub2 is at present, the other V6 box will be going upstairs into my daughters room, so i'm hoping that with the new superhub3 that they are supplying, the two V6 boxes will connect wirelessly, if not what then?

Gavin-D 30-08-2017 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35914596)
Buy a couple of cables from a pound shop.

You can buy flat ones off Amazon now in black or white they are perfect for laying under carpets or along skirting board

spiderplant 30-08-2017 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35914602)
if not what then?

Powerlines, or hub relocation

mike_gain 03-09-2017 08:25

Surely a hub move should be a last resort as opposed to the deafault option. Even if it is determined that a property's V6 service won't work, due to connectivity, without moving a hub that just shifts the property's Wi-Fi connectivity issue from the tv service to general connectivity throughout the house.

Just seems to be a policy driven by the need for engineers to be in and out as quickly as possible i.e. get the new install working asap as opposed to ensuring the reliability of existing services are maintained. Perhaps it would be better laying out the consequences of moving a hub such as you'll have a v6 service but won't get access to Facebook while on the throne in your ensuite or your kid's bedroom PlayStation won't be able to connect anymore.

Mad Max 03-09-2017 11:59

I have good floor space under my house, i'm hoping that the engineer will run any cables required under the floor.

Ken W 03-09-2017 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35915066)
I have good floor space under my house, i'm hoping that the engineer will run any cables required under the floor.

I very much doubt it

Mad Max 03-09-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35915077)
I very much doubt it

Well an engineer did this a while back when I got an extra box for our spare room, I ain't having cables running along the skirting board, to hell with that!

Joedm45 03-09-2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35915086)
Well an engineer did this a while back when I got an extra box for our spare room, I ain't having cables running along the skirting board, to hell with that!

I'm sure if you prep the cable route the engineer would happily run the cable where you want, all VM engineers I've met have been really good but it can be luck of the draw.

If you want him to lift carpet and floorboards then I very much doubt they'll agree to it.

Mad Max 03-09-2017 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35915106)
I'm sure if you prep the cable route the engineer would happily run the cable where you want, all VM engineers I've met have been really good but it can be luck of the draw.

If you want him to lift carpet and floorboards then I very much doubt they'll agree to it.

I don't need, or want him to do that mate, as I said there's loads of room under our floor.

Ken W 03-09-2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35915106)

How is the engineer going to get under your?

jb66 03-09-2017 20:21

Im sure the technician will be happy to pass the cable down to you under the floor, if you can walk about then they will go under

Joedm45 03-09-2017 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35915118)
I don't need, or want him to do that mate, as I said there's loads of room under our floor.

I really can't picture how you access this space without lifting floorboards but you can only ask the engineer and see what he says. If you think it's a reasonable request then you'll be fine I'm sure.

When I had my VM installed I was lucky enough to be completely renovating my house so loads of floorboards were up upstairs. I knew the cable run I wanted between cable entry point in the living room and bedroom for a second box was unreasonable for them to do so I bought some good quality cable and did it myself (it involved loft access which I'm sure they do not do). The engineer was grateful for the work especially as it was a Saturday install and he could go home early. He did also say he would have given me the cable a few days before if he knew but I'm not sure if CS would arrange this if you ask.

Hopefully all goes well with your install, let us know how you get on.

Mad Max 03-09-2017 20:32

Quote:

I really can't picture how you access this space without lifting floorboards
There's a hatch, and yes thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how things went..