Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : What happened to Restore Settings on SH2? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705177)

starfish 25-07-2017 17:33

What happened to Restore Settings on SH2?

Hi

I had to reset the Superhub and when I went to restore my settings, the option wasn't there. I looked through all the settings at least three times but I cannot see it. Has there been an update which took it off?

Thanks.

richard s 25-07-2017 20:13

Re: What happened to Restore Settings on SH2?

Power off button should not affect your personal settings unless you restored back to factory default settings.

dave.m 25-07-2017 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfish (Post 35909165)
Hi

I had to reset the Superhub and when I went to restore my settings, the option wasn't there. I looked through all the settings at least three times but I cannot see it. Has there been an update which took it off?

Thanks.

It was removed in the last firmware update. I don't know why though.

starfish 25-07-2017 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave.m (Post 35909192)
It was removed in the last firmware update. I don't know why though.

Thanks, Dave. What a stupid thing to do! It was very useful.

Kushan 26-07-2017 09:06

How often are you restoring the settings from your hub to make it useful? If you're doing it regularly, you either have a faulty hub or something you're restoring is causing it to misbehave down the line.

As for why it was removed, I'd be willing to bet it was a security thing as the restore settings functionality could be abused to modify settings that you weren't supposed to modify.

General Maximus 26-07-2017 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35909215)
How often are you restoring the settings from your hub to make it useful?

Exactly, I went to log in to my Asus router yesterday and I can't remember the flipping password. After 15 attempts I gave up. I set it up in March and haven't logged in since.

starfish 27-07-2017 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35909215)
How often are you restoring the settings from your hub to make it useful? If you're doing it regularly, you either have a faulty hub or something you're restoring is causing it to misbehave down the line.

As for why it was removed, I'd be willing to bet it was a security thing as the restore settings functionality could be abused to modify settings that you weren't supposed to modify.

Not very often (thankfully!), but with so many gadgets connected via wifi, it's a pain to add them one by one, as well as port forwarding and other settings. The backup took a few seconds and it was done.

I don't do a reset myself but if I have to call VM support, as I did on Monday, it's one of the things they ask you to do.

Oh well, I am one of the quite satisfied customers of VM when it comes to broadband, so I guess this is just a small thing. :)

Thank you for your reply.

Kushan 27-07-2017 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfish (Post 35909436)
Not very often (thankfully!), but with so many gadgets connected via wifi, it's a pain to add them one by one, as well as port forwarding and other settings. The backup took a few seconds and it was done.

I don't do a reset myself but if I have to call VM support, as I did on Monday, it's one of the things they ask you to do.

Oh well, I am one of the quite satisfied customers of VM when it comes to broadband, so I guess this is just a small thing. :)

Thank you for your reply.

It's a bit of a broken record on this forum, but you would be much happier/better off with your own separate router. Absolute worst case is you'll have to unplug it and put the hub into router mode (unlikely though), but you'll get much better functionality and a working backup/restore :)