Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Concern about the speed increase! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686256)

Bentex 12-03-2012 09:45

Concern about the speed increase!

I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm currently on 10Mb and it's more than enough for me! 10 yrs or so ago I used to pay 35quid a month for just 1Mb. So I've been a happy chap for a long time. To have good broadband at a reliable price. My only complaint would be that the upload could be faster.

Reading some threads here and other places I fear the speed increase will come at a cost. Currently my speed gets throttled if I download too much. This very rarely happens though! I get the impression it'll get throttled more often?!?! Is that really what I can expect??

In the future I want to upload movies to my family in Australia and USA. I'm worried that after One or two upload I'll be throttled and it'll be very frustrating. Likewise, after I downloaded a couple I'll be throttled as well. While currently It's 3 or 4 movies before this happens.

Should I look elsewhere? What do you think is the best option for around 15-25 pounds a month? (considering what I need it for).

kwikbreaks 12-03-2012 10:00

Re: Concern about the speed increase!

If you exceed the upload STM limit then upstream gets throttled - assuming you are on the upgraded upstream which is 1Mbps for L.
If you exceed the downstream STM limit then downstream gets throttled.
This all happens now and presumably will in future although there is supposed to be something new coming along but exactly what hasn't been announced.

Assuming you are on L and not a legacy product which I have no idea about you'll get increased STM limits along with the increased speeds.

You'll only get more throttling if you upload or download more than double the current limits. I don't see that light users (which you appear to be) have anything to fear - quite the reverse in fact.

Andrewcrawford23 12-03-2012 10:45

stm limits will increase with the new speed uploads, the onyl really thign you need to be concerned baout is with teh doubling of speed everyone will eb double so ulisation could be higher other than that you dnt need to worry

you cna also uplaod and fdownlaod outside the stm restriciton period without limits as well, i am currently developinga script to run on linux probally macs to but not windows that would liits your conection during stm period so you will not get stmed

qasdfdsaq 12-03-2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentex (Post 35397837)
I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm currently on 10Mb and it's more than enough for me! 10 yrs or so ago I used to pay 35quid a month for just 1Mb. So I've been a happy chap for a long time. To have good broadband at a reliable price. My only complaint would be that the upload could be faster.

Reading some threads here and other places I fear the speed increase will come at a cost. Currently my speed gets throttled if I download too much. This very rarely happens though! I get the impression it'll get throttled more often?!?! Is that really what I can expect??

In the future I want to upload movies to my family in Australia and USA. I'm worried that after One or two upload I'll be throttled and it'll be very frustrating. Likewise, after I downloaded a couple I'll be throttled as well. While currently It's 3 or 4 movies before this happens.

Should I look elsewhere? What do you think is the best option for around 15-25 pounds a month? (considering what I need it for).

You'll be throttled less as the limits before throttling are increasing.

The 50mb and 100mb services from VM will soon both come down to £25. These give you 5mb and 10mb upload respectively, the latter has no STM limit so you can upload as much as you like.

Though if upload is most important to you you're better off with BT, who give 10mb upload on their 40mb download service, soon to increase to 80mb download with 20mb upload - also £25 a month.

thenry 12-03-2012 13:48

how much are you paying for each VM service at the moment?

Bentex 14-03-2012 04:13

It's currently 22.00 a month for Broadband L and phone.

But I just ordered Tivo with M+ TV. It's going up to over 30.00.

So I guess it's a good thing for me? As I can download more before I get throttled.

I wouldn't really say I'm a light user. Is downloading around 10 gig a day regarded as 'light' nowadays? :shocked:

qasdfdsaq, thanks for the BT option you mentioned.

qasdfdsaq 14-03-2012 10:09

No worries. I should mention the upgraded BT option isn't officially confirmed to be at the same price but shouldn't be a lot more if that. But it will become available to BT Wholesale ISPs on 10th April