Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Corbyn's kerfuffle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702119)

Osem 15-01-2017 11:13

Re: Corbyn's kerfuffle

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35880695)
Source

Unite have certainly bought their man.

Wasted their money I reckon. The only thing Corbyn will deliver them is ineffectual opposition.

Damien 15-01-2017 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35880482)
Mmmmm.

I think if any of us were really unhappy with the boss of the company we worked for, and knew there wasn't much chance of him being replaced for 3 or 4 years, and within that time we would be likely out of a job (in this case, during the next election), we would be actively "seeking further opportunities elsewhere", rather than waiting for the hammer to fall...

Also Hunt has been one of the targets for Momentum. Not only does he stand to lose his seat anyway but he has to deal with the Corbyn lot giving him abuse for the next 3 years.

Osem 15-01-2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35880708)
Also Hunt has been one of the targets for Momentum. Not only does he stand to lose his seat anyway but he has to deal with the Corbyn lot giving him abuse for the next 3 years.

Yes I heard one of them on LBC on Friday ranting on about purging the party of people like Hunt using the sort of offensive language I recall from my higher education days in a well known hotbed of student lefty lunacy, intimidation and nastiness. These people really are locked in the past so it's no surprise they like Corbyn.

Mr K 15-01-2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35880695)
Source

Unite have certainly bought their man.

Doesn't really compare to the millions the Tories get in funding from their friends in the city...

heero_yuy 15-01-2017 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35880714)
Doesn't really compare to the millions the Tories get in funding from their friends in the city...

Except that is to fund the entire party across the country. Compare to £100,000 just for Corbyn.

rhyds 15-01-2017 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35880713)
Yes I heard one of them on LBC on Friday ranting on about purging the party of people like Hunt using the sort of offensive language I recall from my higher education days in a well known hotbed of student lefty lunacy, intimidation and nastiness. These people really are locked in the past so it's no surprise they like Corbyn.

Or as someone else said:

"Tristram Hunt is giving up his job with a historical re-enactment party to go and work for a museum...

Osem 15-01-2017 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyds (Post 35880718)
Or as someone else said:

"Tristram Hunt is giving up his job with a historical re-enactment party to go and work for a museum...

Quite...
... and to think some folks kid themselves Corbyn's cronies are a breath of fresh air in politics. Some of us have seen and heard it all before.

Of course, they'll come up with excuses for the failures, ineptitude, cronyism and nepotism just like they always did - same old, same old...

Osem 20-01-2017 09:43

Quote:

The Labour Party is "in the hands of urban leftists given to ideological extremes with only fringe appeal".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38677632

Quote:

That isn't an assertion about today's politics. It was the verdict of the US Central Intelligence Agency on Labour back in 1985, in a memo for the agency's director on the early phase of Neil Kinnock's leadership.
This memo is one of millions of the CIA's historical records which have just been made available online. Previously researchers had to actually visit the US National Archives in Maryland in order to access this database of declassified documents.
The records reveal the deep level of concern inside the CIA about the strength of the Left within Labour in the early 1980s, a political force which the agency regarded as anti-American.
Some things never change eh?

Ramrod 20-01-2017 11:40

Quote:

historical re-enactment party
:rofl::clap::D

1andrew1 20-01-2017 11:45

Another apparent U-turn to add to an already large collection. Time will tell how accurate this article is

Jeremy Corbyn backs down on vow to force Labour MPs to vote in favour of Brexit

In an apparent U-turn, sources denied Mr Corbyn will force his MPs to vote with the Government and instead claimed that the leader is still making up his mind.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ticle-50-says/

denphone 20-01-2017 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35881344)
Another apparent U-turn to add to an already large collection. Time will tell how accurate this article is

Jeremy Corbyn backs down on vow to force Labour MPs to vote in favour of Brexit

In an apparent U-turn, sources denied Mr Corbyn will force his MPs to vote with the Government and instead claimed that the leader is still making up his mind.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ticle-50-says/

Good grief l thought the other parties were not that good but these lot seem to be a right rabble...

Chris 20-01-2017 12:02

Nice quip by Piers Morgan (yes I know) on Question Time last night:

Emily Thornberry: We're not in government at the moment ...
Morgan: You're not in opposition either...

1andrew1 20-01-2017 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35881349)

Lol, funniest comment of the year so far! :)

heero_yuy 21-01-2017 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35881349)

Priceless.

More trouble 't mill:

Quote:

SENIOR Labour figures fear their party will come fourth in the crucial Copeland by-election next month.

The disaster prediction came as Jeremy Corbyn was snubbed over his choice for the poll’s candidate.

In an embarrassment for the under fire Opposition Leader, his preferred pick for the poll next month was rejected.

Party members in the Cumbria constituency instead opted for local councillor and former doctor Gillian Troughton on Thursday night, instead of Corbyn-backing union activist Rachel Holliday.

But in what would be a far bigger blow, fears are now growing among party grandees that it could even finish finish behind the Tories, UKIP and the Lib Dems.
Linky

Chris 21-01-2017 10:38

Thursday, 23 February ... by elections in Copeland and Stoke Central. There could be blood on the carpet.