Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : is there no v+ boxes for new customers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687266)

RobTi 26-04-2012 08:26

is there no v+ boxes for new customers

Hi i was looking to sign up my parents and looking at the new bundles it looks like you only get a V HD box with no recording options unless you upgrade to a tivo.

Is this correct or am i reading it wrong

Thanks

Robert

Stephen 26-04-2012 08:31

Re: is there no v+ boxes for new customers

Yes TiVo is now the standard pvr box on VM.

richard1960 26-04-2012 08:31

No VM stopped giving out V+ boxes to new customers a while ago,if you want a box that records TiVo is now the only option for new customers.:)

RobTi 26-04-2012 08:33

Oh well don't think it will be virgin then, not paying an extra £5 just to record

Thanks for the replies

Robert

spiderplant 26-04-2012 08:40

On the new Collections, you don't pay an extra £5.

RobTi 26-04-2012 09:03

Thanks for that not well laid out on the web page then.

Will go over it again

Robert

BenMcr 26-04-2012 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobTi (Post 35419375)
Oh well don't think it will be virgin then, not paying an extra £5 just to record

Thanks for the replies

Robert

Just to point out as well, the V+HD cost £5 a month on M+ and L, so with the Collections TiVo is likely cheaper than the V+HD was ;)

Itshim 26-04-2012 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35419429)
Just to point out as well, the V+HD cost £5 a month on M+ and L, so with the Collections TiVo is likely cheaper than the V+HD was ;)

The best reason I can think to have one - lower price :D

DJSADERS 27-04-2012 20:24

yep V+ was stopped back in February, we only carry them as replacements (and thats very very rare)

RobTi 27-04-2012 23:41

So what happens when a v+hd is in a second room and breaks will it get replaced with a tivo free of charge

Robert

jempalmer 27-04-2012 23:55

I wondered that too. Not long had Tivo installed and kept V+ for the bedroom. If it dies will I be stuck with a VHD box?

jb66 28-04-2012 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35420131)
I wondered that too. Not long had Tivo installed and kept V+ for the bedroom. If it dies will I be stuck with a VHD box?

No a refurbished v+

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobTi (Post 35420123)
So what happens when a v+hd is in a second room and breaks will it get replaced with a tivo free of charge

Robert

RichardCoulter 28-04-2012 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35419429)

That's true, before the Collections I was thinking of downgrading TV as the main reason I got a XL TV was to avoid the £5 charge, but the Tivo charge is levied regardless of TV package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobTi (Post 35420123)

Robert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35420131)

I wondered that too. I suspect that, as V+ will slowly be made redundant, they will eventually drop Tivo software onto the V Boxes and switch off the V+. As most will be the free 2nd box by this time, VM will argue that customers had been getting it for nothing anyway if/when they complain. Perhaps by then they will sweeten it with offers for 2nd Tivo boxes?.

nstokes 28-04-2012 12:44

VM believe Tivo are the future thats why no V+ Boxes

passingbat 28-04-2012 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35420232)
VM believe Tivo are the future thats why no V+ Boxes

Once the V+ boxes are gone, VM can move to Mpeg4, which will give us more recording capacity and be beneficial for network capacity. They can also move all remaining boxes onto Tivo software, elimiting the need for two different software systems. So you can see why VM have good reasons to do this.

There is a valid argument though, that VM should have kept the V+ as an option until the V+ missing features (full red button and Reminders) were available on tivo. Those missing features don't bother me, but they do others.