Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Flashed by a speed camera (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33602709)

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 16:21

Flashed by a speed camera

Afternoon,

This morning on the way to work, I was flashed by a speed camera.

It was going up the West Cross Route towards the A40 in London - if you know it!

I'm sure there is a sign just before it that says 50mph.

My satnav warned me it was there.

I've been past it about 6 times in the last two weeks.

What speed was I doing? Between 39mph - 41mph.

There was no other cars near me at the time.

What do you think will happen??

Mick 26-10-2006 16:25

Re: Flashed by a speed camera

There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

Aragorn 26-10-2006 16:26

A driving ban for driving too slowly :D
Seriously, iirc (not an expert) the stills are checked by hand before being sent out - hopefully that will show your correct speed (against the road markings).

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34145045)
There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

For doing 39 - 41mph in a 50mph?

I'm going to get a photo of the camera and sign tomorrow!

But - why did it flash me? I thought they were only set-off when a speed is exceded?

Mick 26-10-2006 16:34

Are you sure there are no temporary speed restrictions in force?

Did the camera flash twice in quick succession did you notice this?

superbiatch 26-10-2006 16:36

In my experience - nothing will happen. I've been flashed by static speed cameras a few times (whilst being under the speed limit) in both North Wales and in Liverpool on the M62. I've yet to receive a ticket. Although I'm not sure why they do this :confused:

swoop101 26-10-2006 16:36

They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.
I was at the end of the M62 yesterday morning in stationary traffic and the camera flashed twice in a minute.

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop101 (Post 34145057)
They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.

Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?

Scarlett 26-10-2006 17:25

I've had this happen to me a number of times, nothing will happen as you were below the speed limit at the time.

Some times they pick up something that makes them think that there is a speeding car. It imght be a bird or reflection off some glass nearby. In any case. They will not take you to court because as mentioned by Aragorn, they are checked before they issue a NIP.

One near us can't cope in the fog. I went passed it about a year ago in the fog and it was firing off every minute or so.

grandmaster 26-10-2006 17:40

I think its 14 days.. after this point they cannot do anything.

scrotnig 26-10-2006 17:45

They have 14 days from the date of the offence to ISSUE a notice of intended prosecution (it may take longer for you to receive it). If you do receive one and you were in fact below the limit, you have an absolute defence and the CPS would drop it immediately if notified. No court would ever convict you.

Cheshire police once told me they often set "empty" cameras to flash below the speed limit to encourage people to go even slower still. What moral right the police have to do this is unclear...if they think the speed limit is too high there are appropriate channels. This sort of behaviour by the police can cause accidents.

swoop101 26-10-2006 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsainsbury (Post 34145060)
Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?

I can't find the info that I saw a couple of years ago now:( I also read that they flash to fool people into thinking they are active when they have no film in them.

injuneer 26-10-2006 18:33

They can sometimes be set off by cars going in the opposite direction as well. We have one near me that has the calibration markings on both sides of the road, one set approaching the camera from the front and the usual set behind the camera. Traffic from both directions trigger it. I know there are some cameras designed to do this but I did read somewhere that is illegal to flash oncoming traffic because it may temporarily blind the driver. I think the markings on the approaching side were put there to frighten people. :erm:

scrotnig 26-10-2006 18:44

Yes, oncoming cameras are a different design, quite distinctive in fact. they don't flash, they use something else.

And then there's SPECS cameras, which are different again...the average speed check ones.

Escapee 26-10-2006 19:05

I wouldn't worry if you were under the limit, the one not far from my house was flashing everyone in the 40MPH limit about 2 weeks ago.

We were all in traffic moving about 15MPH.:rolleyes: