Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Illegal Cabling (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687433)

MalcolmBines 03-05-2012 14:01

Illegal Cabling

We are not Virgin Media customers but our next door neighbour had VM install to their premises late Nove/Dec 2011. In Feb 2012 I discovered that VM had installed part of the cabling in our garden, this was done without our knowledge or with our permission and in the process caused some damage to our block paved driveway. I have written to both the MD and the Quality Director to request removal but all I received was a pre-printed letter promising contact but received none. I eventually wrote to their Chief Legal Officer and received a letter from their 3rd Party Claims Office saying the matter would be investigated, after 14 days and no response I wrote again requesting an update and suggested a site meeting to discuss and resolve the issues as I thought that this might help and speed things along. As a result I received a call from someone called Keith, he wouldn't give me a surname, but I did get his mobile number! he said that he would get an engineer to our address that day, this didn't happen and when I rang him back I told him the problems and he said he would try to get someone their that day, but wouldn't be precise. We had to go out for no more than a couple of hours, on our return there was no sign of the cable, being of a suspicious nature I probed our front garden with a garden fork and found that the cable had been buried even further underground thus giving the impression it had been removed. We are now at the point of taking legal action. I have written to ISPA (Internet Servcie Providers Association) and pointed out that one of their members is in breach of the ISPA code of conduct. It appears that I will now have to take legal action.

MovedGoalPosts 03-05-2012 14:17

Re: Illegal Cabling

Unfortunately this type of thing happens from time to time. Often it is because it isn't clear when the installer contractors attend site as to exactly where boundaries lie. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

Let your neighbour know what is going on, simply to maintain good relations with them.

Send VM a formal notice, recorded delivery so they can't deny having it, that the cable is trespassing on your land. State they have 14 days for removal and to arrange full reinstatement of all damage at their cost otherwise you will be seeking legal redress for all costs you incur, plus damages. After that unfortunately you would have to incur the costs and time of your legal action

MalcolmBines 06-05-2012 18:14

Thanks for the response. Definitely no problem with identifying our property, they dug up part of our driveway. I have spoken to our neighbour and he is fully supportive. All our correspondence has been sent recorded delivery and following their last abortibe attempt to hide the cable I have written to them amd told them that they must get our written permission before undertaking any work on our premises. There has been some movement in that I wrote to the ISPA UK (Internet Service Providers Association) with a brief outline of the situation, which on checking breach several ISPA protocols. Apparently they have a fast track into VM and I quickly received a letter from the CEO's office trying to sort out the problem. This might be a useful way forward for anyone having any serious problems with VM. The ISPA website can be found at ispa.org.uk, they will mediate if there are any problems with their members. Engineers are due to visit our premises next Thursday to re-route the cable (if it is possible) but I have yet to receive a promised e-mail to confirm, due to their performance to date I am not holding my breath, when I have further news I will post an update.

v0id 06-05-2012 20:29

It may be a bit tricky if that property has ever had a Virginmedia service installed in the past, as that would mean they have the necessary wayleave in place.

Peter_ 06-05-2012 23:47

Send them a letter informing them that they have 14 days to remove said cabling and if nothing happens cut it and remove it leaving a nice neat coil on the pavement.

MalcolmBines 07-05-2012 12:17

No problem there, we have been in our house since it was built and knowing the previous neighbours know there has never been any Virgin Media service.

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Tempting, but have some respect for our neighbours! But it is a very last option.

DABhand 09-05-2012 13:27

You are in your rights if it is indeed on your own property to do whatever you want with the cable after the 14 days notice, which to be honest you already have given them, so you can either pull out the cable your self and cut out the naughty part that is taken up on your property...

Or make VM pay you a monthly fee for use of your property, set it high... that will get the ball moving :P