Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   PS3 to surround sound (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33644009)

pabscars 06-01-2009 12:00

PS3 to surround sound

Hi All, just wanted ask if anyone knows a way around this,,,,,

ive got a PS3 which as off last night is hooked up to my denon reciever/amp surround sound system,,

i,m currently connected like this

PS3 to TV via hdmi
PS3 to amp via fibre optic cable

at first i couldnt get any sound out of the ps3 to the amp but it came down the hdmi to the tv fine, so i suspected it needed to be switched over via the PS3 audio settings, and sure enough it did...

in the PS3 audio settings you can select the audio function to go through HDMI or optical cable but not both,,,

i would like to have the sound coming through both ideally to save me having to manually switched the connections over on the PS3 when i want to play through my amp, and back to when i want to listen through my TV.

On my new Tosh TV it has what looks like an optical output but ive tried connecting this to the amp but again no sound is transfered to the amp, so i dont know if i can switch the tv to transmit the sound via optical out....

has anyone overcome this, if so how

any replies welcome

southwell 06-01-2009 12:38

Re: PS3 to surround sound

It sounds as if the audio is switched off on the HDMI then enabled on the fibre optic, unless there is a setting on the PS3's menu to enable both then i can't see how it would work out of both.

pabscars 06-01-2009 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by southwell (Post 34710220)
It sounds as if the audio is switched off on the HDMI then enabled on the fibre optic, unless there is a setting on the PS3's menu to enable both then i can't see how it would work out of both.

Your correct southwell, but i was wondering if there was anyway round this,,, on the PS3 or maybe taking a cable from the TV to the amp so it will give surround sound no matter what media input i,m currently viewing..

eventually i would like to link all my gadgets through my amp ie sky+, V+, xbox 360 and PS3, but before i go out buying loads off cables i thought it would be worth a mention..

southwell 06-01-2009 13:31

Well if you ran a fibre optic cable to the TV and aux cable from the tv to the amp i would expect to get sound from both, but i don't know about these new cables, not used an amp through fibre optic yet....I would expect you will have to go through the aux cable route.

pabscars 06-01-2009 14:14

Now that sounds possible, i will have a look tonight but if what you say is possible i could probably leave the hdmi lead going from the PS3 to the tv and then take an aux cable from the tv to the amp.

i like your thinking cheers,

it would be so much simpler if my amp had hdmi ports on it but alas it doesnt, and i cant see the mrs allowing me to spend a wedge on upgrading....

thanks again for the new direction

southwell 06-01-2009 14:31

No probs, let us know how you get on.

Tezcatlipoca 06-01-2009 23:16

Re. using the TV's optical output -

On the PS3's settings, do you have it set to output audio over HDMI as Linear PCM or Bitstream?

Video Settings > BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI) > LPCM or Bitstream

There's also another section you can change it, which I guess is for all sound overall, not just BD/DVD playback:

Sound Settings > HDMI > Manual > Various choices including DD, DTS, AAC, & a range of LPCM options.

Mine is currently set to Linear PCM for the BD/DVD Audio (HDMI) setting, while the sound setting has been set to Automatic, which also selected LPCM. I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI & the amp via optical. The optical connection is set to Bitstream under the optical audio output setting in Video Settings, and DD/DTS5.1 under the optical audio output setting in Sound Settings.

To carry the digital audio from the TV to the amplifier over an optical connection, it has to be Bitstream, as optical does not have the bandwidth for LPCM.

So you could try changing the above to Bitstream for the BD/DVD HDMI audio option under Video, and manually selecting DD/DTS for the HDMI audio option under Sound.

Dunno if it'll work, never tried outputting from my TV.

pabscars 07-01-2009 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34710712)
Re. using the TV's optical output -

On the PS3's settings, do you have it set to output audio over HDMI as Linear PCM or Bitstream?

Video Settings > BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI) > LPCM or Bitstream

There's also another section you can change it, which I guess is for all sound overall, not just BD/DVD playback:

Sound Settings > HDMI > Manual > Various choices including DD, DTS, AAC, & a range of LPCM options.

Mine is currently set to Linear PCM for the BD/DVD Audio (HDMI) setting, while the sound setting has been set to Automatic, which also selected LPCM. I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI & the amp via optical. The optical connection is set to Bitstream under the optical audio output setting in Video Settings, and DD/DTS5.1 under the optical audio output setting in Sound Settings.

To carry the digital audio from the TV to the amplifier over an optical connection, it has to be Bitstream, as optical does not have the bandwidth for LPCM.

So you could try changing the above to Bitstream for the BD/DVD HDMI audio option under Video, and manually selecting DD/DTS for the HDMI audio option under Sound.

Dunno if it'll work, never tried outputting from my TV.

thanks for the reply, wow it sounds like you know your onions, i will have to re-read this to understand exactly what you mean

regarding HDMI on the PS3 i dont think you can adjust it just select it either for HDMI or optical,

the only other info i have adjusted on the ps3 is when it asks you what type of connection you want i have ticked the box's dolby digital 5.1 i think.

sorry for the lack of understanding but its hard to remember when your not stood in front of it.

i had a look on the back of my TV last night to see if there were any audio outputs and i couldnt see any, it had all kinds of input,s for pc etc, as well as the usual RGB component but i could see anything that said output..

One thing i did notice on the TV was the fact that the optical port was lit up red when the TV was switched on, which i thought may have been an output rather than an input but i dont know, i have tried from TV to amp via optical but nothing happened.

Tezcatlipoca 07-01-2009 23:42

I'd be willing to bet that the optical connection on the back of the TV is an output. I can't think of any reason why a TV would have an optical input, but I know many new ones do have an output.

As for the HDMI audio settings... yep, you can adjust it on the PS3, going to the two different settings I mentioned.

Under Video Settings, you can select either "Linear PCM" or "Bitstream" for "BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI)". To enable the surround sound to be carried from PS3 to TV to amp, I believe you'd need to change it to "Bitstream", so that the PS3 sends it as is (raw DD/DTS bistream) to the TV & the TV then sends it over optical - as is - to the amp.

Under Sound Settings, you get the choice of Optical or HDMI. If you choose Optical, you have various boxes you can tick for DD, DTS, AAC, LPCM etc. If you choose HDMI, you can select Automatic or Manual. If you select Manual, you get the same selection as if you selected Optical, & so can select DD & DTS instead of simply the Automatic choice of LPCM. Again, you'd need DD/DTS so it can be passed as is from PS3 > TV > amp.

[TV > amp cannot carry DD/DTS uncompressed as Linear PCM, as Optical does not have enough bandwidth for more than 2 channels using LPCM].

As I said before though, I don't know if this would actually work - I've not tried it myself as I just put up with changing the settings each time I switch from HDMI (for TV audio) to Optical (for amp audio) & vice versa. But I think it's worth a shot, & trying it out only involves hooking the TV to the amp via Optical & then quickly changing a couple of settings on the PS3.

:)

pabscars 08-01-2009 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34711346)
I'd be willing to bet that the optical connection on the back of the TV is an output. I can't think of any reason why a TV would have an optical input, but I know many new ones do have an output.

As for the HDMI audio settings... yep, you can adjust it on the PS3, going to the two different settings I mentioned.

Under Video Settings, you can select either "Linear PCM" or "Bitstream" for "BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI)". To enable the surround sound to be carried from PS3 to TV to amp, I believe you'd need to change it to "Bitstream", so that the PS3 sends it as is (raw DD/DTS bistream) to the TV & the TV then sends it over optical - as is - to the amp.

Under Sound Settings, you get the choice of Optical or HDMI. If you choose Optical, you have various boxes you can tick for DD, DTS, AAC, LPCM etc. If you choose HDMI, you can select Automatic or Manual. If you select Manual, you get the same selection as if you selected Optical, & so can select DD & DTS instead of simply the Automatic choice of LPCM. Again, you'd need DD/DTS so it can be passed as is from PS3 > TV > amp.

[TV > amp cannot carry DD/DTS uncompressed as Linear PCM, as Optical does not have enough bandwidth for more than 2 channels using LPCM].

As I said before though, I don't know if this would actually work - I've not tried it myself as I just put up with changing the settings each time I switch from HDMI (for TV audio) to Optical (for amp audio) & vice versa. But I think it's worth a shot, & trying it out only involves hooking the TV to the amp via Optical & then quickly changing a couple of settings on the PS3.

:)

Hi Matt i,m definitely going to give this a go, nothing to loose anyway like you said, it certainly sounds plausible. it makes more sence to me now thanks.

i agree that the TV optical looks like an output given the fact that the red light behind the dust cover is lit. Youd think it would specify that on the TV but it doesnt, whilst i,m busy in work today "clear throat" i will try and drag the manual from the tinterweb just to confirm this.

Your reply was very helpfull, so thanks for that :):tu:

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

Hi Matt, just found out it is an optical output so well chuffed

heres the website i read that says it, if you fancy having a look, and it does mention bitstream

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...40in-LCD-TV/p1

pabscars 08-01-2009 14:17

Update;

i tried what was suggested but the only sound that came out of the tv through the optical cable was the V+, and not the ps3. Even though the tv was on the PS3 channel, and no matter what source i set the tv to, the output to the optical cable from the tv never altered

current configuration is

PS3 > hdmi > TV
TV > Optical > Amp

So now the only sound that can be heard through the amp is from the V+ which is connected via HDMI, regardless of what source you are viewing any ideas what to try next.

i cant understand why the audio being transmitted from the TV optical out, doesnt change when you alter the source you want to view, eg switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on the TV

Tezcatlipoca 10-01-2009 01:12

Very weird. I don't get why it would still output the V+ audio when the TV is set to the PS3's input channel :confused:

Sorry it didn't actually work for you :(

pabscars 12-01-2009 09:54

No probs matt, what i can do is get another optical lead and use the tv optical output to at least transmit a signal to my amp, as i have spare optical inputs on my amp, so at least your info has helped me to get 2 sources running through the amp, so cheers matey,,,,

Tezcatlipoca 13-01-2009 00:03

Fair enough :)