Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33621569)

dumbNTW 27-09-2007 19:42

Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

Hi,
I am having tremendous problems to connect my laptop to Virgin media boradband network. My laptop was configured to be used at the university , now i am using it at home [it is mine and the technical support can't assist me in fixing the problem]. Please forgive my ignorance in networking. The laptop seems fine. following some hints which might help you to diagonise the problem.

I have been in touch with Virgin media and they are more than sure there is no problem with their network at my home address but they can't identify my laptop fault. the laptop was configured to retrieve automatically its IP from DHCP server. i did not change anything on the settings, i just installed virgin media cd setup software

Just a note which might be relevant, in my nearby home address there seems to be a free OPEN wireless network so i was trying to get in :erm: was never be able to access it though. Despite that i was not able to get connected to the internet prior to this attempt, the situation got worse since i mess with the wireless card.

as it stands, the "ready led" keeps flashing: ON, OFF when i plug in the modem. the ip address that i am getting seems a local card ip, so i am not allocated any IP by the server! i have taken all the recommended steps by virgin: plug out the modem, wait for 30 sec, etc....to no avail

any help please

cheers

MovedGoalPosts 27-09-2007 19:48

Re: Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Are you are connecting your laptop using ethernet direct to the modem, or do you have a router? If the latter what router and are you trying a wired or wireless setup? If wireless, can the laptop get a wired connection?

Halcyon 27-09-2007 19:54

Look in your internet browser connection settings then LAN settings to make sure there is no proxy server specified which you may have been connecting through at university.

dumbNTW 27-09-2007 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 34404616)
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Are you are connecting your laptop using ethernet direct to the modem, or do you have a router? If the latter what router and are you trying a wired or wireless setup? If wireless, can the laptop get a wired connection?

Many thanks for your welcome;) i have discovered this forum only this afternoon, seems so interesting.

to answer your question i am using a direct ethernet cable to the modem and guess what i am online from home!!! i have called them again, they log on my account to confirm at the end that everything is fine....really weird.

there is no proxy server address in my IE proxy setting

Dai 28-09-2007 01:17

If your laptop has both wired and wireless adaptors available try disabling the wireless adaptor. On a couple of occasions this has fixed it for me. Windows seems to get confused about which adaptor it should be using sometimes.