Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Happy Thought Thread Part 4 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33664294)

gazfan 14-05-2010 01:09

Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak (Post 35021364)
Thomas, I've been dying to ask but was scared of causing offence, now i've got a drink down me...if you are blind how do you manage on a forum? the braille sig threw me when i first joined i didnt know if theres a monitor that shows it you in braille , forgive my ignorance :angel::)

He will correct me if I'm wrong but afaik he relies on two main technologies - screen magnification & various flavours of 'text to speech' -e.g. standard 'touch typing' (voice feedback)

- & lastly the braille keyboard.

dilli-theclaw 14-05-2010 07:15

Quote:

Thomas, I've been dying to ask but was scared of causing offence, now i've got a drink down me...if you are blind how do you manage on a forum? the braille sig threw me when i first joined i didnt know if theres a monitor that shows it you in braille , forgive my ignorance :angel::)

Firstly, I don't mind anyone asking so don't worry about it.

The thing you have to remember about blindness Is it comes in lots of level. Only about %4 of blind people can't see anything at all.

My eyesight is extraordinarily bad and meets the legal definition of blindness.

Luckily that means I can get away with software on my pc / phone that zooms the screen much larger and reads everything out to me (think of a Stephen hawking voice).

I'm learning my braille now before things get too much worse so I can use a braille keyboard like gazfan mentioned. And for books of course as I miss my reading.

I do have a white stick and dark glasses but only need to use them depending on various things including how familiar with my surroundings I am or how bright or dark it is.

Looks like gazfan summed it up better than me though :)

Anyway enough about me.

Hugh 14-05-2010 09:17

But he still kicks our ass on BFBC2......

zing_deleted 14-05-2010 09:51

Quote:

Braille is all about touch mate what use is showing it on a screen except for learning purposes

dilli-theclaw 14-05-2010 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 35021510)
But he still kicks our ass on BFBC2......

Just because my vision is distorted doesn't mean I can't see movement ;)

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 35021527)
Braille is all about touch mate what use is showing it on a screen except for learning purposes

Yup so I put something there under my Sig every now and again for people to work with. My screen reader can't read it as its only a picture. But the more people who are aware of braille the better as far as I'm concerned.

Hom3r 16-05-2010 16:07

I seem to be haunted by the number 7.

This is my 7,777 post, spooky. :D

Maggy 17-05-2010 18:41

Working in the centre of Pompey tomorrow..at a school I swore I'd not go back to but money is money.It's now become an 'Academy' and is probably going to be hell as it's just ending it's first year.:(

On the other hand I've heard that the usual study leave for year 11 has been cancelled at my favourite school(when they thought they were leaving last Friday).It's made the students unhappy and the staff furious because it was decided at the last moment.

However it means that they won't have enough staff to cover absent staff.Should mean more work for me.:)

dilli-theclaw 19-05-2010 18:03

Good stuff - I see you got it ;) :tu:

Turkey Machine 21-05-2010 12:23

Few people are either close to going gold or have done in their reps. I believe punky now has a gold star to his name. :)

TheDaddy 21-05-2010 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey Machine (Post 35025570)
Few people are either close to going gold or have done in their reps. I believe punky now has a gold star to his name. :)

Yes well done Punk, notice Frank has got one to though :scratch:

iFrankie 21-05-2010 13:27

Found out yesterday that my step sister is 6 weeks pregnant!!! im over the moon, but shhh im not suppose to tell anyone :D:tiptoe:

Maggy 21-05-2010 13:57

Still losing weight.Two pounds this week.:)

dilli-theclaw 21-05-2010 14:00

Good stuff :tu:

Maggy 21-05-2010 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas T (Post 35025645)
Good stuff :tu:

Mind after this weekend I'll have to probably work hard at losing next week. :(

Sasha222 21-05-2010 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFrankie (Post 35025629)
Found out yesterday that my step sister is 6 weeks pregnant!!! im over the moon, but shhh im not suppose to tell anyone :D:tiptoe:

Thats so lovely Frankie and we promise we wont tell anyone. :D