Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703981)

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 14:51

Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money?

Calling all streaming experts!

I am planning on buying a streaming box/stick that can be moved around easily between rooms.

My thoughts are either Roku 3, Roku stick, Amazon TV, Amazon TV stick, they don't need to support 4K TV but i want the latest Plex app and Now TV installed on them as well as Netflix and Amazon Video also can Kodi be loaded on to them all?

The boxes are currently £75 which is too much and i am kicking myself as the Roku 3 box was £56 last week so not sure whether to wait for Black Friday hoping they will drop in price or just grab a £30 stick?

What do you guys think i should go for?

martyh 19-11-2016 16:01

Re: Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money?

I just bought a £34 amazon fire stick mainly because it's impossible to watch Amazon tv on anything apart from one of those or a playstation 3/4 ,i already had a chromecast which does just about everything else .One thing to watch with the fire stick is it will need a separate wall socket for power ,mine wouldn't use the tv's USB for power like the Chromecast

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35870445)
I just bought a £34 amazon fire stick mainly because it's impossible to watch Amazon tv on anything apart from one of those or a playstation 3/4 ,i already had a chromecast which does just about everything else .One thing to watch with the fire stick is it will need a separate wall socket for power ,mine wouldn't use the tv's USB for power like the Chromecast

Have you tried installing Kodi on it from the various guides that're available?

martyh 19-11-2016 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35870447)
Have you tried installing Kodi on it from the various guides that're available?

no not yet only got today and waiting for the wife to go to work so i can have a play :)

Jimmy-J 19-11-2016 16:23

I have a Nexbox A95X Android OS / A good few people swear by the Amazon Firestick though.

I got the wireless keyboard too which is a must because it saves time messing with the remote control that comes with the box.

I got the A95X because it has 2gb/16gb and also has dual band wireless.

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35870452)
I have a Nexbox A95X Android OS / A good few people swear by the Amazon Firestick though.

I got the wireless keyboard too which is a must because it saves time messing with the remote control that comes with the box.

I got the A95X because it has 2gb/16gb and also has dual band wireless.

I was going to get an android box but just want 1 of the regular devices available now.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35870451)
no not yet only got today and waiting for the wife to go to work so i can have a play :)

Let me know if it supports NOW TV as i forgot about that!

martyh 19-11-2016 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35870456)

Let me know if it supports NOW TV as i forgot about that!

No it doesn't ,Chromecast does though

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35870461)
No it doesn't ,Chromecast does though

I think if we can get Kodi onto the stick then Now TV will work through that.

pip08456 19-11-2016 17:05

Why do you need NowTV? Most stuff on there is available via Kodi anyway.

martyh 19-11-2016 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35870469)
I think if we can get Kodi onto the stick then Now TV will work through that.

I don't think it will ,i heard of people trying to get it to work ,they get it to load but not play any video.

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35870472)
Why do you need NowTV? Most stuff on there is available via Kodi anyway.

Well i may not use Kodi right away as that is just an after thought, so as long as i can have Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime i am good to go, so it looks like an Amazon Fire Stick is the way to go for me as a Roku doesn't allow Kodi if i decide to give it a try and i can still use a Now TV box in the bedroom. :)

Kabaal 19-11-2016 17:40

If you're going to use Kodi don't use the stick, buy the Fire TV instead. Kodi does work on the stick but it's a bit underpowered.

Chad 19-11-2016 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35870487)
Well i may not use Kodi right away as that is just an after thought, so as long as i can have Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime i am good to go, so it looks like an Amazon Fire Stick is the way to go for me as a Roku doesn't allow Kodi if i decide to give it a try and i can still use a Now TV box in the bedroom. :)

Amazon is also pretty good for other apps like Hayu for the Mrs. and Boxnation if your a sports fan. I've got Roku and Now TV too. Use the Amazon stick more than the other 2.

SnoopZ 19-11-2016 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35870488)
If you're going to use Kodi don't use the stick, buy the Fire TV instead. Kodi does work on the stick but it's a bit underpowered.

Thanks for the info, Kodi was an after thought when i realised it works on the Amazon stick and not on the Roku.

My plan is to hold out until Black Friday to see if they drop the price again, as it was £56 last week and now it is £75 everywhere.

pip08456 19-11-2016 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35870499)
Thanks for the info, Kodi was an after thought when i realised it works on the Amazon stick and not on the Roku.

My plan is to hold out until Black Friday to see if they drop the price again, as it was £56 last week and now it is £75 everywhere.

If you need help setting up Kodi there's a guide I did here.

http://www.uncovered.name/forum/view...p?f=75&t=16615

Any problems just give me a shout.