Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   sky sports red button (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33673527)

smallclone 01-01-2011 12:30

sky sports red button

Tried search button but to no avail

so............can anybody tell me if there is any plans for the red button function to be added to Virgin Media??

I miss out on so much.

Thanks

spiderplant 01-01-2011 12:58

Re: sky sports red button

I can't believe search didn't find it. Anyway, short answer is "coming soon". :)

smallclone 01-01-2011 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35145799)
I can't believe search didn't find it. Anyway, short answer is "coming soon". :)

Search threw up millions of posts which i havent got time to trawl through

thanks for the info though

Henkesghost 01-01-2011 13:26

Quote:

Think that "coming soon" is a confident one? Hope so.

Digital Fanatic 01-01-2011 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35145809)
Think that "coming soon" is a confident one? Hope so.

It is ;)

Peter_ 01-01-2011 21:28

Quote:

Search does find it in numerous threads all with your answer.;)

wwe 02-01-2011 02:46

I cart see sky ever giving us the red button. Sky wants to keep it all to them selfs. Think we got more chance of pigs flying.

gadge 02-01-2011 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwe (Post 35146162)
I cart see sky ever giving us the red button. Sky wants to keep it all to them selfs. Think we got more chance of pigs flying.

It will come it was part of the vmtv channels sale.

Joedm45 02-01-2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwe (Post 35146162)

Straight from the horses mouth http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/

This link has been posted before, it shows VM will no doubt get a watered down version of interactive this year

Mobes 02-01-2011 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35146220)
Straight from the horses mouth http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/

This link has been posted before, it shows VM will no doubt get a watered down version of interactive this year

Weasle words from Sky. I would bet we get 99-100% of interactive red button type stuff. Sky just want potential customers to think only ALL of it will be on Sky.
I can't imagine even VM going into negotiations and Sky saying yeah you can have interactive but only on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and VM going, cool sounds like a deal...

richard1960 02-01-2011 22:53

I pay for sky sports and the cricket world cup is coming very soon in 2011 amd i notice with match clashes ect coverage will be on sky sports Red Button seeing as we/i pay £22.50 a month for the sky sports,i hope we would be able to see these matches seems we are paying a lot on vm for sky sports only to have large parts of it withheld.:(

Come on 2011 is here lets have the sky sports Red Button function as promised on the sale of the VMTV channels.

lupusargent 03-01-2011 18:23

media boy reports the red button will launch on virgin before april 2011 http://virgintvmediaboy.blogspot.com...on-virgin.html

winkle 03-01-2011 21:37

This month, but only on 1&2 so no Champions League games via the red button.

wwe 04-01-2011 02:33

I still don't belive its coming. Think we got more chance of pigs flying still. Sorry but i woun't belive it untill i can do it.

Joedm45 04-01-2011 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkle (Post 35146906)
This month, but only on 1&2 so no Champions League games via the red button.

Will there even be any more Champions League games on red button this season????

Not that many games left and they seem to be more spread out now. I'm sure they'll just be on the regular channels although perhaps not in HD if you sub to it.

Mobes 04-01-2011 15:04

Could I have something cleared up re: Red Button On Sky Sports....

I appreciate we've been told it will be on Sky sports 1 & 2 However...if i am watching tennis on Sky Sports 3 and they say (as they have in the past) "Coverage continues on the red button" OR
When a match is ONLY available on the red button regardless of the channel does that mean i can go to 1 or 2 push the red button and find the interactive service i need?

I hope I make sense :)

Digital Fanatic 04-01-2011 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35147174)
Could I have something cleared up re: Red Button On Sky Sports....

I appreciate we've been told it will be on Sky sports 1 & 2 However...if i am watching tennis on Sky Sports 3 and they say (as they have in the past) "Coverage continues on the red button" OR
When a match is ONLY available on the red button regardless of the channel does that mean i can go to 1 or 2 push the red button and find the interactive service i need?

I hope I make sense :)

Who's said it will only be on Sky Sports1 and 2?

mersey70 04-01-2011 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35147270)

That hasn't been said as far as I know, however Sky do say on the link below that VM will only get 'some' red button on Sky Sports (whatever that means) but I don't think we can expect to get the full service.

http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/

Henkesghost 04-01-2011 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35147271)
That hasn't been said as far as I know, however Sky do say on the link below that VM will only get 'some' red button on Sky Sports (whatever that means) but I don't think we can expect to get the full service.

http://www.sky.com/shop/sports/home/...y-virginmedia/

Crumbs from the master's plate:mad:

mersey70 04-01-2011 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35147286)

I guess we will get whatever VM agreed to when they took Sky's cash for VMtv, anything is better than nothing I suppose. We can't expect to get all of Sky's offerings, in fact I don't think that would be fair on Sky personally, they did the investment and took the risks.

I suppose the ultimate answer is if we want all the said services (and it's practical) is to get Sky.

Digital Fanatic 04-01-2011 20:06

Quote:

We'll have to wait and see, but I think the main thing is the extra games/programmes that are behing the Red Button.

Henkesghost 04-01-2011 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35147312)
We'll have to wait and see, but I think the main thing is the extra games/programmes that are behing the Red Button.

If I remember correctly from when I was with sky the red button is also good during the cricket. Lots of stats on match/series etc on red button

pauldavies83 04-01-2011 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35147312)

I'd say this was the main thing too.

Which prompts the question why these streams can't just be crudely broadcast on available channel numbers on the EPG until the "red button" facility is done (in a similar way to the BBCi contact was broadcast on freeview)

jamiec21 04-01-2011 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies83 (Post 35147335)
I'd say this was the main thing too.

Which prompts the question why these streams can't just be crudely broadcast on available channel numbers on the EPG until the "red button" facility is done (in a similar way to the BBCi contact was broadcast on freeview)

Surely that's how the BBC service is done now, hidden video streams with a MHEG (or whatever the DVB-C equivalent is) overlay. I've not used the Sky Red Button service a lot, but I'd love to know what's there that couldn't be done in the same way the BBC service is now. Video content with a data overlay.

Mobes 04-01-2011 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35147270)

I read it here somewhere... cant sodding find it now... was it Spiderplant who said so...

From your response DF Im guessing that was wrong ;)

richard1960 05-01-2011 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35147308)
I guess we will get whatever VM agreed to when they took Sky's cash for VMtv, anything is better than nothing I suppose. We can't expect to get all of Sky's offerings, in fact I don't think that would be fair on Sky personally, they did the investment and took the risks.

I suppose the ultimate answer is if we want all the said services (and it's practical) is to get Sky.

I look at it a bit differently i pay £22.50 a month for sky sports for that i think we should get a full service and why not,sky did invest thats a given but against a background at the time of BT post privatisation being forbidden for a few years launching a tv service so you could say sky has had a leg up.

Also we as taxpayers made an investment in BT which sky now have access to for their broadband offering without ever having made any investment themselves in the telephone network,or indeed laying their own lines.

I cannot have access to sky but after forking out a hefty amount a month i do not see why i should have to start to watch a cricket match,only for it to continue on red button with no access for me.

Sky have invested but they make no bones about using things others have invested in,glass houses and all that.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35147437)
I read it here somewhere... cant sodding find it now... was it Spiderplant who said so...

From your response DF Im guessing that was wrong ;)

Think it was the ofcom pay tv enquirey which said sky sports 1 and 2 red button only.

Unless vm made a different deal at the time of the sale of their channels to sky.

pauldavies83 05-01-2011 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiec21 (Post 35147434)
Surely that's how the BBC service is done now, hidden video streams with a MHEG (or whatever the DVB-C equivalent is) overlay. I've not used the Sky Red Button service a lot, but I'd love to know what's there that couldn't be done in the same way the BBC service is now. Video content with a data overlay.

I'd assume it is how all the "interactive" choice systems work, the pictures broadcast as video streams.

What I was getting at was before the freeview overlay system was ready, BBCi just broadcast the video streams as channels rather than hiding them.

Don't see why VM can't just do this until the overlay is ready. Saves us missing out on the content altogether.

Digital Fanatic 05-01-2011 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies83 (Post 35147496)
I'd assume it is how all the "interactive" choice systems work, the pictures broadcast as video streams.

What I was getting at was before the freeview overlay system was ready, BBCi just broadcast the video streams as channels rather than hiding them.

Don't see why VM can't just do this until the overlay is ready. Saves us missing out on the content altogether.

It's Sky's content, so they will be calling the shots on delivery.

Joedm45 05-01-2011 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35147458)
I look at it a bit differently i pay £22.50 a month for sky sports for that i think we should get a full service and why not,sky did invest thats a given but against a background at the time of BT post privatisation being forbidden for a few years launching a tv service so you could say sky has had a leg up.

Completely agree, it should be a full service. Just checked the Sky website and SD Sports is £20.25 on top of whatever TV Packs you have.

I appreciate VM need to make some profit on each SS sub but we VM customers effectively pay more or less the same as Sky Customers for an inferior service.

Digital Fanatic 05-01-2011 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35147458)

Also we as taxpayers made an investment in BT which sky now have access to for their broadband offering without ever having made any investment themselves in the telephone network,or indeed laying their own lines.

I cannot have access to sky but after forking out a hefty amount a month i do not see why i should have to start to watch a cricket match,only for it to continue on red button with no access for me.

Sky have invested but they make no bones about using things others have invested in,glass houses and all that.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Think it was the ofcom pay tv enquirey which said sky sports 1 and 2 red button only.

Unless vm made a different deal at the time of the sale of their channels to sky

Ofcom agreement was for Sky Sports HD1 & 2 access for fair price to VM, BT.

VM did a seperate deal (as part of the VMtv sale) with Sky for Sky Movies HD, Sky1HD, Sky Arts HD1 & 2, the then Sky Real Lives HD channels and red button access to Sky Sports.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35147570)
Completely agree, it should be a full service. Just checked the Sky website and SD Sports is £20.25 on top of whatever TV Packs you have.

I appreciate VM need to make some profit on each SS sub but we VM customers effectively pay more or less the same as Sky Customers for an inferior service.

This is what VM believe too. The launch of red button will close that gap somewhat.

richard1960 05-01-2011 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35147615)
Ofcom agreement was for Sky Sports HD1 & 2 access for fair price to VM, BT.

VM did a seperate deal (as part of the VMtv sale) with Sky for Sky Movies HD, Sky1HD, Sky Arts HD1 & 2, the then Sky Real Lives HD channels and red button access to Sky Sports.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

This is what VM believe too. The launch of red button will close that gap somewhat.

Thanks for the answers Digital Fanatic appreciate it.:)

Doug P 10-01-2011 13:19

Quote:

Sky Sports 1 and 2 HD and some red button can hardly be described as crumbs. :dozey:

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35147570)

You pays your money and you takes your choice........

Joedm45 10-01-2011 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35150184)

You pays your money and you takes your choice........

When you cannot get Sky it's not much of a choice :rolleyes:

Doug P 10-01-2011 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35150189)
When you cannot get Sky it's not much of a choice :rolleyes:

I think VM's sport selection is excellent considering who provides most of the pictures.

mersey70 10-01-2011 19:30

I am pretty sure I read VM need to do some technical work before SSP Red Button is offered which might explain why it still isn't available.

If you notice on BBC News Multiscreen it only seems able to offer 4 active screens at once, 2 of them are just static placeholders although when you select them they reveal the video stream.

Maybe they are updating this, who knows?

richard1960 10-01-2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35150345)
I am pretty sure I read VM need to do some technical work before SSP Red Button is offered which might explain why it still isn't available.

If you notice on BBC News Multiscreen it only seems able to offer 4 active screens at once, 2 of them are just static placeholders although when you select them they reveal the video stream.

Maybe they are updating this, who knows?

Thanks for that Mersey70 fingers crossed you are right,it could well be that they may need to do some more technical work for SSP Red Button.

And yes i do notice what you have said about BBC news multiscreen as well.

denphone 11-01-2011 05:52

But they have had 7 months to do this technical work if it is that, they signed their deal with Sky last May and we are stll waiting.

Henkesghost 11-01-2011 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35150461)
But they have had 7 months to do this technical work if it is that, they signed their deal with Sky last May and we are stll waiting.

Maybe virgin are in talks about doing the technical work. :mad:

mersey70 11-01-2011 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35150461)

That was merely something (I think) I read, maybe someone with far more technical knowledge than me could confirm it?. I suppose it could really be all manner of reasons why red button has not started yet.

Hopefully it will be with us soon, fingers crossed!

spiderplant 11-01-2011 09:20

Sky Sports Red Button is a very complex application - much bigger than the BBC sports multiscreen for instance. There is a lot of work for both Virgin and Sky, and it does take months to design, develop and test. As far as I know, it's all going to plan.

mersey70 11-01-2011 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35150489)
Sky Sports Red Button is a very complex application - much bigger than the BBC sports multiscreen for instance. There is a lot of work for both Virgin and Sky, and it does take months to design, develop and test. As far as I know, it's all going to plan.

Thanks for that, actually I think it was a post you made that I was referring to as I recognise what you say now.

Cheers.

pauldavies83 11-01-2011 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35150489)

Thanks for the input.

Does that mean (as far as you know), the full feature set of the application will come over from Sky (i.e. on Champions League goals go in in a different game to the one you are watching, you get a goal flash on the screen and can switch to the stream the goal went in on to watch it)

Because I would have honestly expected just the multiscreen bits - anything more advanced than this would indeed take more time.

whizzard 11-01-2011 11:14

Work is still ongoing from what I hear, but shouldnt be much longer before the wait is over.

Rattus 11-01-2011 12:26

The cynic in me thinks that the tech work will all be finished and the the red button launched some time around the end of may once the current season is over...

winkle 11-01-2011 12:40

Phoned a supervisor in CS, they have told me it will be here this month. Also have been told that a few times before it's heading this way this month.

Full red button service aswell apparently, the reason in delay is because they have been testing it on Tivo

whizzard 11-01-2011 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkle (Post 35150594)
Phoned a supervisor in CS, they have told me it will be here this month. Also have been told that a few times before it's heading this way this month.

Full red button service aswell apparently, the reason in delay is because they have been testing it on Tivo

Obviously such a service would need to be tested on all set-top boxes that VM have "in the wild" that have red button capability, which would certainly have contributed to the length of time it's taken to implement.

bamav 11-01-2011 13:29

BBC had no problem. The difference between wanting and needing to...

Digital Fanatic 11-01-2011 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamav (Post 35150625)
BBC had no problem. The difference between wanting and needing to...

It's completely different technology/interface.

Remember too, that BBC News Multiscreen wasn't available on exNTL until this year due to platform problems.

Sky Sports Red Button has been written from scratch for VM. Launch details will be released in due course.

Media Boy UK 11-01-2011 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35150626)
It's completely different technology/interface.

Remember too, that BBC News Multiscreen wasn't available on exNTL until this year due to platform problems.

Sky Sports Red Button has been written from scratch for VM. Launch details will be released in due course.

Maybe the Sky Sports Red Button has been on hold until after:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35149609)
Media Boy EXCLUSIVE: Virgin to carry out work on their On Demand Network.

Virgin will upgrades up to four sites each morning - usually taking place on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's between 0001-0900.

During that period, customers in the sites being upgraded will have no access to VoD. Should customers attempt to use the service, they will see the following on screen message:

"On Demand is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"

Although no new VoD sessions will be able to be ordered from 0001 on the night of the upgrade, VoD sessions which are already running will be allowed to continue until all have completed (approximately 0200).

The planned upgrades will be taking place in multiple regions from 11th January 2011 to 18th February 2011.

denphone 11-01-2011 16:00

In due course is quite vague as it could mean it could be 3, 6, or 9 months away

Digital Fanatic 11-01-2011 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35150756)
In due course is quite vague as it could mean it could be 3, 6, or 9 months away

It's the nature of the business, denphone. Timescales are hard to predict for something like this. Nearly there.

Doug P 17-01-2011 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35150818)
It's the nature of the business, denphone. Timescales are hard to predict for something like this. Nearly there.

Excellent! Keep up the good work!

richard1960 17-01-2011 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35150818)

:clap::clap::beer:Thats good to hear Digital Fanatic.:)

smallclone 22-01-2011 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkle (Post 35150594)

Please god let this be true.

Thanks for info

Henkesghost 22-01-2011 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35156636)

Thanks for info

Surely it would occur to Virgin to advertise this if true. Jeez their commercial dept needs a rocket up it's archie!

whizzard 22-01-2011 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35156636)

Thanks for info

First part is pretty much true, though the bit about TiVo isn't. Obviously the service would need to be tested and implemented on all configurations of STB, not just TiVO

alwaysabear 22-01-2011 13:17

Lets hope we get something official from VM soon. We have been in the dark long enough!

Jameseh 22-01-2011 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by whizzard (Post 35156679)
First part is pretty much true, though the bit about TiVo isn't. Obviously the service would need to be tested and implemented on all configurations of STB, not just TiVO

They meant getting it working on current and TiVo boxes meaning those in trials of the TiVo won't be missing out and that it works when it fully launches.

Doug P 24-01-2011 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35156674)
Surely it would occur to Virgin to advertise this if true. Jeez their commercial dept needs a rocket up it's archie!

As discussed before there is no point advertising something like that as if they were a pseudo-BskyB launching a new channel. Advertise when and if certain. It will come but perhaps a date is not definite yet.

muppetman11 24-01-2011 14:27

Look I knock Virgin for things and sometimes there lack of information is frustrating but cone on credit where it's due this is massive when it comes.

richard1960 24-01-2011 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35157916)
Look I knock Virgin for things and sometimes there lack of information is frustrating but cone on credit where it's due this is massive when it comes.

I agree sky sports Red Button is my last BIG want on vm,as you say the lack of information is frustrating but by all accounts its almost with us.:clap::clap::beer::beer::beer:

atlas15 24-01-2011 18:09

Let,s hope so soon.

medianews 29-01-2011 20:22

The wait goes on and on and on with sky atlantic not available on VM i am seriously thinking of leaving for Sky.

Digital Fanatic 29-01-2011 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by medianews (Post 35161480)
The wait goes on and on and on with sky atlantic not available on VM i am seriously thinking of leaving for Sky.

:welcome: to the forum :waving:

Red Button is nearly ready. The application has been written from scratch with Sky and VM.

Sky Atlantic won't be on VM from launch, Sky want it to be exclusive, at least for a little while.

medianews 29-01-2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35161483)
:welcome: to the forum :waving:

Red Button is nearly ready. The application has been written from scratch with Sky and VM.

Sky Atlantic won't be on VM from launch, Sky want it to be exclusive, at least for a little while.

When is Redders gonna arrive? Honestly i have become frustrated by the wait and am being bombarded by Sky to join them.

tweedie 29-01-2011 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by medianews (Post 35161491)
When is Redders gonna arrive? Honestly i have become frustrated by the wait and am being bombarded by Sky to join them.

soon

DF cant be giving that info out otherwise he will be down the job centre Monday morning

Digital Fanatic 29-01-2011 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by medianews (Post 35161491)

Very soon now.

dcj78 31-01-2011 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by medianews (Post 35161480)

I'm in the same boat. The only thing that can save Virgin are the braodband speeds (50MB+) and TiVO.

Doug P 01-02-2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35161497)
Very soon now.

Hooray!

yorkshireborn 01-02-2011 16:01

you wont see the red button till the start of the new season

richard1960 01-02-2011 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkshireborn (Post 35163744)
you wont see the red button till the start of the new season

Cricket season?

Rugby season?

Football season? which one is it,? I think nobody here knows for sure unless you know different although i took it to mean a lot sooner then that as DF said very soon,which would imply its not months away,unless you know different.;)

ken1234 01-02-2011 21:24

iwas told the red button wil be comeing is week that was on the coming soon forum on here today ? we have to see.

Digital Fanatic 02-02-2011 19:54

Quote:

We’re giving you more control with Sky Sports red button.Soon it will be even easier to catch your team on telly, thanks to the Sky Sports red button.
If they’re not showing on the main channel, all you need to do is press the red button on your remote control, and Bob’s your uncle, you can scroll through all the games and select your side. It’ll work for all 2011-2012 Barclays Premier League matches, plus any UEFA Champions League match, ATP tennis, US Open, Heineken Cup and more. Plus, your clever red button unlocks loads of news and stats, too. And an extra bonus, from late spring you can use it to track down smaller sports events, games or highlights, too. Just keep an eye out for the red button appearing on your Sky Sports premium channels. Nice one!

alwaysabear 02-02-2011 20:14

Thanks for the heads up Df where is the quote from?

alwaysabear 02-02-2011 22:22

It would appear that red button will not be with us in any shape until May time and will not be fully functional until August, that is a lot longer than I expected to wait, how disappointing!
http://www.virginmediapeople.com/pricingguide/#top

muppetman11 02-02-2011 22:25

Seems crazy at the moment tons want TIVO and the wait goes on , red button seems to get later and there hasn't been a mention of any new HD in ages , on a plus note the XL speed to 30mb is a welcome addition.

Stephen 02-02-2011 22:29

There is actually a lot of work involved in creating the Sky Sports Red button app and I think its taking longer than anticipated due to a few issues.

muppetman11 02-02-2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35165228)
There is actually a lot of work involved in creating the Sky Sports Red button app and I think its taking longer than anticipated due to a few issues.

Agreed but that's just one of the issues I mentioned above

alwaysabear 02-02-2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35165225)
Seems crazy at the moment tons want TIVO and the wait goes on , red button seems to get later and there hasn't been a mention of any new HD in ages , on a plus note the XL speed to 30mb is a welcome addition.

That is the trouble with coming soon ! there is no definite date, even in the article it only says late spring for red button and no date at all for new HD channels. Its no wonder people are getting frustrated with VM.;)

muppetman11 02-02-2011 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35165238)
That is the trouble with coming soon ! there is definite date, even in the article it only says late spring for red button and no date at all for new HD channels. Its no wonder people are getting frustrated with VM.;)

VM do broadband the best by a mile however there Press release dept and customer care training is a joke you can ring 3 seperae people and get a different price off each when upgrading or inquiring about a product and for a communications company they don't communicate new product launches to there staff or customers well.

spiderplant 02-02-2011 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35165238)
it only says late spring for red button

I think you should read it again!

nn012 02-02-2011 22:44

What spiderplant said. It does sound like the launch of red button is imminent with only a certain extra feature being available from Spring.

Dave42 02-02-2011 22:45

seems like no red button this season disappointing was hoping for some this season guess have to wait to next season for football first red button :(

alwaysabear 02-02-2011 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35165262)
seems like no red button this season disappointing was hopmg for some this season guess have to wait to next season for football first red button :(

That is the way I read it.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35165243)
VM do broadband the best by a mile however there Press release dept and customer care training is a joke you can ring 3 seperae people and get a different price off each when upgrading or inquiring about a product and for a communications company they don't communicate new product launches to there staff or customers well.

Agreed absolutely appalling for a communications Company.

Hugh 02-02-2011 22:55

You appear to be confusing Telecommunications with Marketing & Communications - two completely separate things...;)

muppetman11 02-02-2011 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35165285)
You appear to be confusing Telecommunications with Marketing & Communications - two completely separate things...;)

Agreed there marketing is dreadful. They seem to be good at informing you when prices go up LOL

richard1960 02-02-2011 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nn012 (Post 35165257)
What spiderplant said. It does sound like the launch of red button is imminent with only a certain extra feature being available from Spring.

The wording is bad such as it mentions the 2011-2012 Barclays premier league matches but nothing to suggest it will be available soon ie this season.

But putting another interpretation on it, it mentions more will be available in spring but it does not mention which spring 2011 or 2012 hopefully though it is imminent as has been said before although the wording of the item leaves a lot of wriggle room.:confused::confused:

3 out of 10 for communication skills i am afraid,must do better.:erm:

If there is a delay why do they not just say sorry guys we had planned it for x y z but we are having a few problems and it will be delayed by a while at least customers would know more info.

denphone 03-02-2011 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35165334)
The wording is bad such as it mentions the 2011-2012 Barclays premier league matches but nothing to suggest it will be available soon ie this season.

But putting another interpretation on it, it mentions more will be available in spring but it does not mention which spring 2011 or 2012 hopefully though it is imminent as has been said before although the wording of the item leaves a lot of wriggle room.:confused::confused:

3 out of 10 for communication skills i am afraid,must do better.:erm:

If there is a delay why do they not just say sorry guys we had planned it for x y z but we are having a few problems and it will be delayed by a while at least customers would know more info.

Typical Virgin again very vague with their dates again and their communication is woeful, you can see why customers get unhappy, they are very quick with their price rises.

Digital Fanatic 03-02-2011 08:50

you know what... I give up!

whizzard 03-02-2011 09:30

Jesus, no pleasing some people. Speaking of which I believe that in terms of whether next season or this one, it will be before the aforementioned almighty Christ gets attached to his sunbeam ;)

Peter_ 03-02-2011 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35165390)
you know what... I give up!

Stop shouting I am trying to sleep down here.:sleep::sleep::D

Digital Fanatic 03-02-2011 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35165432)
Stop shouting I am trying to sleep down here.:sleep::sleep::D

ha ha :D

denphone 03-02-2011 09:45

The fact is if you give a date keep to it not mess the customer around all the time thats all we ask.

Digital Fanatic 03-02-2011 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35165444)
The fact is if you give a date keep to it not mess the customer around all the time thats all we ask.

You have a date, denphone! You've been given a launch window, but you still moan!

whizzard 03-02-2011 09:53

If you fall through the mattress then they'll see you in the Spring. If they don't see you through the week, they'll see you through the window ;)

DaMac 03-02-2011 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35165449)
You have a date, denphone! You've been given a launch window, but you still moan!

All i can see is that it says 2011 - 2012 Barclays premiership matches and UEFA champions league matches will be available, thats **** poor really, add to this that Sky Arts HD was coming soon and it didnt with no explanation why... Well its been said before, for a communications company they are terrible at communicating.

Digital Fanatic 03-02-2011 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMac (Post 35165490)
All i can see is that it says 2011 - 2012 Barclays premiership matches and UEFA champions league matches will be available, thats **** poor really, add to this that Sky Arts HD was coming soon and it didnt with no explanation why... Well its been said before, for a communications company they are terrible at communicating.

you need to read it in full :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35165222)
It would appear that red button will not be with us in any shape until May time and will not be fully functional until August, that is a lot longer than I expected to wait, how disappointing!
http://www.virginmediapeople.com/pricingguide/#top

Not true. it will be fully functional in Late Spring, but the RB launching in a few weeks.

alwaysabear 03-02-2011 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35165510)
you need to read it in full :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Not true. it will be fully functional in Late Spring, but the RB launching in a few weeks.

Thanks for clarifying Df, it is a bit confusing the way it is written. That is good news then.

Digital Fanatic 03-02-2011 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35165543)
Thanks for clarifying Df, it is a bit confusing the way it is written. That is good news then.

I know, you do have to read it twice :)

alwaysabear 03-02-2011 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35165547)
I know, you do have to read it twice :)

Believe me I have,several times, after SP said I should read it again ,but I still came to the same conclusion, you have clarified it now thanks again.:D