Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33691623)

Wild Oscar 20-01-2013 23:11

TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder?

There was a question recently from 'johnemyr' about the possibility of transferring from TIVO to DVD ... I have a slightly different question if I may?

Is it possible to use a TIVO's recording function independently of the tuner?

Obviously I'm aware of the pitfalls and legalities of using an *un-registered* TIVO , but if one had access to a TIVO would this be possible?

I suspect not , but as a subscriber with an ordinary box it would be handy to know!

Curious minds and all that ...

Sirius 20-01-2013 23:16

Re: TIVO as a 'standalone' recorder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Oscar (Post 35525498)
There was a question recently from 'johnemyr' about the possibility of transferring from TIVO to DVD ... I have a slightly different question if I may?

Is it possible to use a TIVO's recording function independently of the tuner?

Obviously I'm aware of the pitfalls and legalities of using an *un-registered* TIVO , but if one had access to a TIVO would this be possible?

I suspect not , but as a subscriber with an ordinary box it would be handy to know!

Curious minds and all that ...

Pretty certain you will find it cannot be used as a stand alone recorder. How would you record on it if it had not be hit to work on the next work.

Itshim 21-01-2013 09:55

Silly question - but is it a "Virgin" TiVo or an older version & if so would it not work ?

Stuart 21-01-2013 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35525541)
Silly question - but is it a "Virgin" TiVo or an older version & if so would it not work ?

Even if it's one of the original Series 1 Tivos, the servers they download the EPG data from were switched off shortly after VM launched the VM tivo so while they might function as a DVR without the guide data, they might not as they would be unable to verify that you have a good Tivo account for encryption purposes.

mark1234 21-01-2013 12:45

I've never had a Tivo, so can't comment on how good it is, but there is a replacement EPG for an old Tivo.

http://www.altepg.com/index.html

Itshim 21-01-2013 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35525570)
Even if it's one of the original Series 1 Tivos, the servers they download the EPG data from were switched off shortly after VM launched the VM tivo so while they might function as a DVR without the guide data, they might not as they would be unable to verify that you have a good Tivo account for encryption purposes.

No point getting the one up from the basement ( if it is even still there!) & trying it out then :D

Stuart 21-01-2013 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35525601)
No point getting the one up from the basement ( if it is even still there!) & trying it out then :D

It's always worth trying. After all, if it works, you have an extra DVR. If it doesn't, you're in the same position you are now, so you lose nothing and have something to gain potentially.

Itshim 21-01-2013 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35525643)
It's always worth trying. After all, if it works, you have an extra DVR. If it doesn't, you're in the same position you are now, so you lose nothing and have something to gain potentially.

Really was "said" in light hearted way. First of all I would need to find it, Bring it over, work out how to set up power ,then connect it . Naa if I ever need a DVR I would opt to buy one :D