Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   They're at it again! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686472)

Anonymouse 20-03-2012 15:38

They're at it again!

The banks, that is. Link:

Don't they ever learn?! How many more times is this going to come up?

For me, the issue is very, very simple:

I AM NOT PAYING TO GAIN ACCESS TO MY OWN BLOODY MONEY!!!

End of! If I have to, I'll just go into my local branch and go to the counter - and I suggest you all do the same. The counter staff will soon get tired of dealing with little else in a day, I imagine!

Unless they start charging us for that, too!

martyh 20-03-2012 15:48

Re: They're at it again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35402767)
The banks, that is. Link:

Don't they ever learn?! How many more times is this going to come up?

For me, the issue is very, very simple:

I AM NOT PAYING TO GAIN ACCESS TO MY OWN BLOODY MONEY!!!

End of! If I have to, I'll just go into my local branch and go to the counter - and I suggest you all do the same. The counter staff will soon get tired of dealing with little else in a day, I imagine!

Unless they start charging us for that, too!

going to the branch for your money is always an option ,not the most convenient one but still an option .Using a cash machine is convenient that is what you pay for not accessing your money .Personally i'm surprised that it has not happened before .It is not unreasonable for a business to charge for a 24hr service so in that respect it's not unreasonable for banks to charge for 24hr access .Having said that given the profit that banks make it is not adversely affecting their profits having cash machines so it does smack of greed

richard1960 20-03-2012 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35402772)
going to the branch for your money is always an option ,not the most convenient one but still an option .Using a cash machine is convenient that is what you pay for not accessing your money .Personally i'm surprised that it has not happened before .It is not unreasonable for a business to charge for a 24hr service so in that respect it's not unreasonable for banks to charge for 24hr access .Having said that given the profit that banks make it is not adversely affecting their profits having cash machines so it does smack of greed

Indeed Martyh if i could i would choose to have my wages paid to me in cash IE i would not need a bank acccount to access my money,but as companies pay directly into bank accounts now, employees have no choice to start mass charging to access what is after all your cash is simply extracting the ur--e.:(

As it is Banks make lot of cash on money deposited overnight by many people who get paid straight in their accounts,considering interest rates are so pathetic not a lot is given back in my view.:mad:

danielf 20-03-2012 16:25

Quote:

Ermm. That's the principle of charging you for something because they can. Banks already make obscene amount of profit from the money the store for us. I would also imagine cash points are cheaper for the banks to run than staff at the branch, so I doubt the banks would be pleased to see an influx of customers when they start charging for cash points. I don't see it happening. A flat monthly banking fee would seem far more likely.

Jinxey 20-03-2012 16:30

This article is from November 2009? Im guessing the whole idea has been dropped? or is it back in the news again? :S

danielf 20-03-2012 16:31

Oh dear :D

Graham M 20-03-2012 16:51

D'oh.

TheDaddy 20-03-2012 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxey (Post 35402815)
This article is from November 2009? Im guessing the whole idea has been dropped? or is it back in the news again? :S

It is back in the news

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ree-cashpoints

Anonymouse 20-03-2012 17:11

Yes, the link is current. :) The idea was dropped; perhaps someone had a brief attack of common sense. But now they're at it again...hence the thread title. :p:

And it is not a service per se; we are doing the banks a favour by putting our money in there. The whole thing is - or should be - paid for by the staggering amount of interest they earn on our money. As far as I'm concerned, the "service" has been paid for, and is still being paid for - it is not free and never has been; like the NHS, it is only free at the point of delivery. This is capitalism out of control; the already obscene bonuses they're still getting are clearly not enough for them!

I wonder, though: if the OFT loses the case, are they all going to do it? It occurs to me that it would be good business sense for one bank to hold off on charging customers (if they can restrain their greed for just long enough...unlikely but possible) until all the others are doing it...then announce that they're not, and watch as the lemming rush of new customers begins. That's how I'd do it, anyway. Of course, the end result of that would be that they'd all jump on the bandwagon, and before they know where we are, we're back at the start again.

It's almost funny. Almost.

Maggy 20-03-2012 18:56

I'll just use cashback instead...There are enough 24/7 Tescos and Asdas and open late Co-ops around.;)

mertle 20-03-2012 20:02

although maggy you would not be suprised cashback to be charged too. Infact would not be shocked to see levy charge on ALL transactions from shops to cash withdrawals.

Anyway did anyone spot this nugget

Quote:

Charges could even be levied for setting up standing orders and direct debits.
Anybody think this revenge because the hatred to there bonuses.

danielf 20-03-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35402938)
although maggy you would not be suprised cashback to be charged too. Infact would not be shocked to see levy charge on ALL transactions from shops to cash withdrawals.

Supermarkets like giving cash back. It means they have less cash floating around. Less cash = less risk.

mertle 20-03-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35402943)
Supermarkets like giving cash back. It means they have less cash floating around. Less cash = less risk.

well it would depend if they can cushion vast charges though. At moment dont think many do it but once everyone does it could be issue. Would they do a limit to how much they could draw. Look the other situation once all do it there disposable cash for cash transaction would be curtailed badly.

if it escelates to alsort charges which that second link suggests we could be heap trouble.

Does anybody know if this fixed charge one fee or will escelate the more you get out.

Say if you get £90 would it be £2.50 per £10 to speek.

Now give you example on another thread I said got put in wrong account. I got charged for everything I did absolute everything.

I would assume the following will happen

Cheque Transaction charged
cashpoint withdrawal charged
direct debit transaction charged

The bank charges ended upto £100 a month

How many out there can afford that out of there money because this is the sort fees we will be facing. Thats not forgetting the going into red even having authorised overdraft.

Maggy 20-03-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertle (Post 35402938)

Anybody think this revenge because the hatred to there bonuses.

Any charges on cash back are accepted by the retailer because it means they have less cash on the premises and they need less use of security to transport that cash.However you must use a debit card.There are charges if using a credit card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card_cashback

idi banashapan 20-03-2012 22:41

Quote:

going to the branch for your money is always an option ,not the most convenient one but still an option .Using a cash machine is convenient that is what you pay for not accessing your money

what about those who bank with internet banks such as Cahoot or Egg?