Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675750)

aliferste 11-03-2011 09:34

Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house.

Hiya - I have a cable that comes in from outside into my study, it then connects to my cable modem.

I have a wee white box downstairs which is then attached to my television cable.

Essentially my study is now turning into a Nursery so want to move my internet cable downstairs - I know I could keep the router in the Nursary however I would rather not have wires hanging around.
How difficult is it to move the internet cable to where the telly cable comes in?

Peter_ 11-03-2011 09:55

Re: Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house.

You will need to call up and ask for it to be moved which will cost you a £99 fixed fee, this is the standard charge and I would not recommend trying to alter the external cabling yourself as you may cause issues on the network with the ingress of noise.

weesteev 11-03-2011 10:30

If you have a socket downstairs already then just a splitter and some extra coax should sort your out. Masque is right though, if you need VM to send someone there is a fixed fee of £99.

Peter_ 11-03-2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35191090)
If you have a socket downstairs already then just a splitter and some extra coax should sort your out. Masque is right though, if you need VM to send someone there is a fixed fee of £99.

I never noticed the white box part, it should work downstairs with the cabling you already have, my bad for that so give it a try and let usknow.

aliferste 11-03-2011 13:16

Yikes £99

Ok - my wee white box has two place to put a cable - one of which is taken up by the TV.

Am I right in thinking all I would need to do is put another cable into the other connection and then Bob's yer Uncle?

If I remember correctly it looks like a different connection to the telly cable one. I do have a spare lengh of cable from the telly with connections on iether end - do I just plug this in or is that a bit simplistic?

What is a splitter?

weesteev 11-03-2011 13:30

It probably is a different connection, probably FM for aerial connections. You can "acquire" a 2 way splitter on ebay and some short lengths of RG6 coax as well for a few pennies and that should solve your problem... your connection would look like this....

Wall socket - coax - splitter - coax x2 - Modem/TV

HTH

Peter_ 11-03-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliferste (Post 35191146)
Yikes £99

Ok - my wee white box has two place to put a cable - one of which is taken up by the TV.

Am I right in thinking all I would need to do is put another cable into the other connection and then Bob's yer Uncle?

If I remember correctly it looks like a different connection to the telly cable one. I do have a spare lengh of cable from the telly with connections on iether end - do I just plug this in or is that a bit simplistic?

What is a splitter?

Here is a splitter on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Aerial-C...item1c1961fe11

aliferste 11-03-2011 19:55

Sweet - that seems simple enough - so I take it having a splitter does not effect the speed or anything like that?

Peter_ 11-03-2011 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliferste (Post 35191357)
Sweet - that seems simple enough - so I take it having a splitter does not effect the speed or anything like that?

No most splitters are behind the television.