Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Bump Starting a Diesel (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32818)

Millay 01-08-2005 02:11

Bump Starting a Diesel

Hi all

My vans starter motor has Died, spins but does not engage, it was making a horrible noise starting, so I guess the teth on the spindle have disintergrated. I was going to fit the starter motor myself, but i gotta jack up parts of the car and disconnect loads of different things, far to much like hardwork, what i want to know is that as the electrics are fine, (pre warming etc) and I live at the top of a hill, can I bump start it. I know people say you cant bump start diesels, but willl I get away with it?

Raistlin 01-08-2005 02:18

Re: Bump Starting a Diesel

I don't think that you can bump start a diesel.....

I'm trying to think back now to how internal combustion engines work.....

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.....

Nope, don't think it will work.

(Actually, I know very little about internal combustion engines, just wanted an excuse to post suck, squeeze, bang, blow :D >

The thing with diesels is that the compression (the squeeze bit) required is a lot higher than it is on a petrol engine. Unless you get sufficient compression the thing simply won't start.

I think you're gonna need to make sure that the batteries in really good nick and that the glow plugs are hot at the moment that you dump the clutch.....otherwise you're gonna find yourself at the bottom of a hill with no way of getting back up ;)

Millay 01-08-2005 02:32

well i am thinking that as the electrics etc are sound that running it though normal start up as i dump the clutch might do it..

AndrewJ 01-08-2005 03:23

Should work we bump started a peugeot 1.9 gld 309 a few years back in similar circumstances took a few goes.

Nidge 01-08-2005 06:30

Course you can bump start a diesel, turn the ignition key, wait for the heater plug lights to go off then go for your life, make sure you are in 2nd. I've bump started many diesels when I was a cabbie.

bopdude 01-08-2005 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge
Course you can bump start a diesel, turn the ignition key, wait for the heater plug lights to go off then go for your life, make sure you are in 2nd. I've bump started many diesels when I was a cabbie.

Thats what I think as well :tu: don't you have to reach a certain speed before it will bump though IIRC 30 m.p.h. ( not sure about that )

:2cents:

Roy MM 01-08-2005 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopdude
Thats what I think as well :tu: don't you have to reach a certain speed before it will bump though IIRC 30 m.p.h. ( not sure about that )

:2cents:

Yep i heard that 30 was the optimum speed, but diesel engines are a bit more refined these days, so it could be lower.

Tuftus 01-08-2005 09:50

You could always try towing it, would certainly save you some breath!

Wicked_and_Crazy 01-08-2005 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge

It will only have heater plugs if its inderect injection. If its direct injection you dont have to wait for the heater plugs.

Anyway, you will struggle to bump start a diesel just by pushing it. The deisel only burns due to the heat created by the high compression. The compression ratio is much higher than with a petrol engine. Therefore you will have two problems, 1 pushing it with the engine turning and 2 getting enough speed to generate the required heat in the combustion chamber.

marky 01-08-2005 10:38

just a question what car is it?

and yes bumping a diesel it not a problem depending who is doing it
get it rolling
give it the heaters
select second gear
throttle flat to the floor
dump the clutch
but if its a very modern car some will not start unless the key is in the sterter motor position :)

Angua 01-08-2005 10:45

Our 330d was bump started the other morning no problem (hubby tends to sit in the car with the lights on listening to music on night shift).

Xaccers 01-08-2005 10:47

Isn't the problem with bump starting a diesel only if it doesn't have enough power to open the fuel solenoid?
Although with enough speed it should turn the engine at least once and hopefully give enough power for the solenoid to open.

Remember, a petrol engine stops because when you turn the ignition off, it stops the sparks.
In a diesel, it cuts the fuel flow.
And after WW3, you'll be grateful for having a diesel ;)

marky 01-08-2005 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers
And after WW3, you'll be grateful for having a diesel ;)

nope modern diesels have ECUs it would have to be old like mine, not a micro chip to be found

Xaccers 01-08-2005 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymoan
nope modern diesels have ECUs it would have to be old like mine, not a micro chip to be found

Yes, I'd be going for a good old PSA diesel :)

marky 01-08-2005 11:02

mines 18 today :birthday: brum brum