Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684528)

badhairday 01-03-2014 07:06

Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Virgin will be soon doubling my d/l speed which is great, sometime in the next or following quarter....BUT I and probably WE all have it already.
I use a VPN and its great for what I need but it does slow down D/L speed a little until now.
I did a speed test while using the VPN and it was double what I have without it.
I was flabbergasted my flabber was truly gasted. Checked again on regular internet and it was back to 30mgs.
So it is obvious to me that my speed is being throttled until the big announcement by VM that they have doubled my speed !
So if you peeps have a vpn try it now see what your speeds are.
Now we can get the use of faster d/ls today than be kept waiting by VM.
I can understand the business strategy of VM in doing this as I am sure they can understand why we want to circumvent it .

General Maximus 01-03-2014 09:17

sorry dude but it doesn't work that way

Qtx 01-03-2014 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhairday (Post 35676632)
I did a speed test while using the VPN and it was double what I have without it.
I was flabbergasted my flabber was truly gasted. Checked again on regular internet and it was back to 30mgs.

You can't trust the reliability of most speed test site results thought a VPN as there are a few factors involved that can totally screw the numbers up. The faster speed you saw was a false result. You won't get faster than the speed VM have sold you.

There are a few exceptions when a faster VPN result can be true, such as when it routes you around a congested peering point for example, but generally you shouldn't believe the usual speed test sites results if you are connected to a VPN.

As an example, I one got an 65Mbit upload speed when connected via a VPN yet I only had 40 down/10 upload from Sky at the time.

qasdfdsaq 01-03-2014 21:02

Compression.

telfordcable 03-03-2014 18:14

I just can't get my head round it. Because peoples say here, they got 152Mb with 8 downstream on the superhub, while other still got 6 downstream on the superhub but both still same max out speed 160Mb?

What's so special about downstream 6 or 8 on the hub?

GrimUpNorth 03-03-2014 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by telfordcable (Post 35677515)
I just can't get my head round it. Because peoples say here, they got 152Mb with 8 downstream on the superhub, while other still got 6 downstream on the superhub but both still same max out speed 160Mb?

It just means some of us are special. If we're getting 152 on 6 channels, then we'll get bumped to 202 (and probably 20 up) when we go to 8. If you're on 8 channels and only getting 152 then maybe it's time to cancel as VM are being evil and ripping you off ;).

Cheers

Grim

roughbeast 03-03-2014 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by telfordcable (Post 35677515)

My response is less grim. It's not very technical either.

My understanding is that those areas that have been re-segmented to alleviate congestion have mostly modems on 8 channels DS rather than 6. You can deliver 152Mb or more in areas that haven't been re-segmented, but users would be more susceptible to the effects of congestion. They will achieve 160Mb in tests at times when their local cabinet or node isn't being heavily used, e.g. just for surfing. There will be times when they are more likely to get less than 152Mb than those on 8 channels.

Somebody add to this or put me right if needs be.

2old4this 15-03-2015 17:10

broadband has been supercharged from up to 60Mb to a whopping up to 100Mb.

i done speed test only getting 40mb do need to give them a call?

jb66 15-03-2015 17:23

No, you need to do a wired speed test