Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684528)

Andrewcrawford23 07-12-2011 16:28

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

MOD EDIT: To help those in this large thread looking for just details of the upgrade speeds here are the detail:

Quote:

VM's speed upgrades will be as follows:

Broadband Size S: 2Mb will be upgraded to 5Mb
Broadband Size M: 10Mb will be upgraded to 20Mb
Broadband Size L: 10Mb will be upgraded to 20Mb
Broadband Size XL: 20Mb and 30mb will be upgraded to 60Mb
Broadband Size XXL and 100mb: 50Mb will merge with 100mb. 100mb users will get a price reduction to match 50mb. Both will be upgraded to 120mb.

Upstream speeds and traffic management fair usage amounts will be increased in proportion to the increase in downstream speed. All upstream speeds will remain/become 10th of download speed.

To check the timetable please enter your postcode at here

======================original post=======================================
I just got a email from virgin claiming my speed will be double for free but im on 50mb so im getting 100mb? i suspect this is adoggy email jsut wondered anyone knows if it true

Sirius 07-12-2011 16:35

Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 35342074)
I just got a email from virgin claiming my speed will be double for free but im on 50mb so im getting 100mb? i suspect this is adoggy email jsut wondered anyone knows if it true

Why not remove the identifying features and show us the email ?

Andrewcrawford23 07-12-2011 16:39

Great news. You're among a few thousand of our customers we've handpicked to double your broadband speed. And best of all, it won't cost you a penny more. It's a nice extra we're doing to say thanks for being with us. We call these nice extras Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers. They're things to make you smile.

Do all the things you love online, twice as fast

Virgin Media already offers the fastest broadband in the UK. And our commitment to leading the way in broadband download speeds has been proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. But just imagine doing all the things you love doing online twice as fast - like sharing photos or downloading the latest blockbusters and tunes. And, you could say bye-bye to buffering too with super streaming of HD movies.

Your upgrade kicks off in 2012

Your upgrade will take place next year, and will happen by area. But you don’t need to do a thing, we’ll keep you updated and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready. In the meantime, get an idea of when your broadband speed will be doubled.

Connect a friend

Help

My Virgin Media

This email has been sent to the following address: by Virgin Media

Don't miss out on our news and offers! Just add theteam@mailing.virginmedia.com to your address book

For more information about us, or to view our privacy policy, please visit the links below:

Privacy - About Us

Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email

You can unsubscribe from receiving future emails from Virgin Media by clicking here

Fastest broadband download speeds widely available to consumers according to 2011 Ofcom report. EML20955

Sirius 07-12-2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 35342081)
Great news. You're among a few thousand of our customers we've handpicked to double your broadband speed. And best of all, it won't cost you a penny more. It's a nice extra we're doing to say thanks for being with us. We call these nice extras Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers. They're things to make you smile.

Do all the things you love online, twice as fast

Virgin Media already offers the fastest broadband in the UK. And our commitment to leading the way in broadband download speeds has been proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. But just imagine doing all the things you love doing online twice as fast - like sharing photos or downloading the latest blockbusters and tunes. And, you could say bye-bye to buffering too with super streaming of HD movies.

Your upgrade kicks off in 2012

Your upgrade will take place next year, and will happen by area. But you don’t need to do a thing, we’ll keep you updated and will be in touch when your upgrade is ready. In the meantime, get an idea of when your broadband speed will be doubled.

Connect a friend

Help

My Virgin Media

This email has been sent to the following address: by Virgin Media

Don't miss out on our news and offers! Just add theteam@mailing.virginmedia.com to your address book

For more information about us, or to view our privacy policy, please visit the links below:

Privacy - About Us

Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email

You can unsubscribe from receiving future emails from Virgin Media by clicking here

Fastest broadband download speeds widely available to consumers according to 2011 Ofcom report. EML20955

Looks genuine to me, Has not asked for any info and says its next year. If its true it means i get 200 meg :LOL:

BenMcr 07-12-2011 16:47

Only those that get the e-mail get an increase

Sirius 07-12-2011 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342085)

I did not expect it anyway as i am staff we always get things last :LOL:

Tim Deegan 07-12-2011 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35342082)
Looks genuine to me, Has not asked for any info and says its next year. If its true it means i get 200 meg :LOL:

Maybe one of the VM staff on here van verify if the e-mail address shown is genuine??

Stephen 07-12-2011 16:52

Quote:

Are you sure?

BenMcr 07-12-2011 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35342094)
Are you sure?

Yup

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342091)
Maybe one of the VM staff on here van verify if the e-mail address shown is genuine??

It's genuine

Tim Deegan 07-12-2011 16:57

Quote:

So that means that all of us who are already maxed out bet bugger all (except for the sachet of drinking chocolate I received from VM today). :(

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342095)
It's genuine

That's good to hear.

denphone 07-12-2011 16:59

Quote:

What about the customers who pay the biggest bills to VM surely these are the ones that should get it.:(

BenMcr 07-12-2011 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342103)
What about the customers who pay the biggest bills to VM surely these are the ones that should get it.:(

I have no idea about the criteria VM are using for this, but why should it just be cost criteria?

Normally it's 'new customers get better deals than existing customers' and 'I've been with ntl for 20 years and don't get anything' so I would hope that VM are looking to reward customers on more than just who can afford to pay the most

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Also weren't people complaning the other day that the Tickles were just PR uselessness?

Tim Deegan 07-12-2011 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342103)

You will probably get the sachet of drinking chocolate like I did.

denphone 07-12-2011 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342106)
I have no idea about the criteria VM are using for this, but why should it just be cost criteria?

Normally it's 'new customers get better deals than existing customers' and 'I've been with ntl for 20 years and don't get anything' so I would hope that VM are looking to reward customers on more than just who can afford to pay the most

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Also weren't people complaning the other day that the Tickles were just PR uselessness?

So really at the end of the day it is just based on a random selection process.

BenMcr 07-12-2011 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342114)
So really at the end of the day it is just based on a random selection process.

As I said, haven't a clue, but to be honest no matter what criteria they use, it's always going to be 'unfair' and 'rubbish' to those who don't get the one they want

Tim Deegan 07-12-2011 17:05

Quote:

I thought tickles were supposed to be to reward loyalty?

Quote:

Drinking chocolate!!!!!!!!!....need I say any more?

Sirius 07-12-2011 17:05

I think this thread will get interesting :LOL:

BenMcr 07-12-2011 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342117)
I thought tickles were supposed to be to reward loyalty?

Yes but what I was trying to say is the spending the most does not equal loyalty

denphone 07-12-2011 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342112)

l have actually got a sachet of drinking chocolate for later tonight but l bought mine.:D

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:

l did not get that but a silly 08 tickle and in my mind that was just a cheap gimmick.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342121)
Yes but what I was trying to say is the spending the most does not equal loyalty

So what does in your mind then Ben.:)

BenMcr 07-12-2011 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342123)
So what does in your mind then Ben.:)

My personal view? It's also things like length of time you've been with the company, and how many services you have in addition to how much you spend

denphone 07-12-2011 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342134)
My personal view? It's also things like length of time you've been with the company, and how many services you have in addition to how much you spend

Well you are saying you have been with the company since the NTL days so one would hope that you would be awarded good loyalty discounts and l have been a Cable customer for the last 12 years and have got many services so one would hope that myself and many others who have been loyal would be rewarded from time to time accordingly.

BenMcr 07-12-2011 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342137)
so one would hope that myself and many others who have been loyal would be rewarded from time to time accordingly.

And who says you won't be.

This and the other Tickles that people have been getting recently aren't all that Virgin are going to be doing.

denphone 07-12-2011 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342140)

This and the other Tickles that people have been getting recently aren't all that Virgin are going to be doing.

But you are not going to say much are you because of NDA's.;)

Digital Fanatic 07-12-2011 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35342119)
I think this thread will get interesting :LOL:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/12/31.gif

Andrewcrawford23 07-12-2011 17:35

well if it to do with loyality i have been with virgin since blueyonder way back in 2000 so if might be loyality

devilincarnate 07-12-2011 17:56

Quote:

Lucky you mine was empty:D:D:D:D

denphone 07-12-2011 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35342159)

Hows that.:D

Hugh 07-12-2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 35342148)
well if it to do with loyality i have been with virgin since blueyonder way back in 2000 so if might be loyality

I see your 2000/blueyonder, and raise you 1994/Jones Cable/Bell Cablemedia/C&W Comms/NTL/VM...:D

thenry 07-12-2011 18:22

eurobell/telewest/vm.. no tickles as of yet.. I'll sit here patiently waiting for a doubling :)

General Maximus 07-12-2011 18:40

i think it is great that they are rewarding customer loyalty like that. It is nice to get perks when you have been with a company for a long time

Milambar 07-12-2011 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35342137)
Well you are saying you have been with the company since the NTL days so one would hope that you would be awarded good loyalty discounts and l have been a Cable customer for the last 12 years and have got many services so one would hope that myself and many others who have been loyal would be rewarded from time to time accordingly.

I too have been with VM since it was C&W, then NTL... However, I hate to suggest that long term customers probably won't get anything as we've already proven to be loyal customers, and therefore, don't need bribing to be loyal.

Or I'm just paranoid.

Just to add, this comment is meant to be mostly tongue in cheek.

philwhite100 07-12-2011 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342116)
As I said, haven't a clue, but to be honest no matter what criteria they use, it's always going to be 'unfair' and 'rubbish' to those who don't get the one they want

This is very true, perhaps all subscribers will get a free speed increase in time to come.
I am on 50 meg and have thought seriously of getting 100meg but as the 50meg is more than adequate i see no reason to at the moment.

Sirius 07-12-2011 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35342171)
I see your 2000/blueyonder, and raise you 1994/Jones Cable/Bell Cablemedia/C&W Comms/NTL/VM...:D

I see your 1994 and raise you Nynex in June 1993 :)

Tim Deegan 07-12-2011 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342121)

Maybe not. But spending 20 years with the same company, and moving all phone lines, TV and BB (including business services), certainly does constitute loyalty. Especially when I have had no end of problems with CS.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342140)

I see you have been ignoring my comments about the drinking chocolate....apparently that's all my loyalty is worth.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35342159)

Hey, don't complain. At least you got a sachet of nothing as a tickle ;)

Hugh 07-12-2011 19:21

As a businessman, I am sure you didn't move/stay through loyalty, but because it made sense fiscally.....

Digital Fanatic 07-12-2011 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342204)
Maybe not. But spending 20 years with the same company, and moving all phone lines, TV and BB (including business services), certainly does constitute loyalty. Especially when I have had no end of problems with CS.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I see you have been ignoring my comments about the drinking chocolate....apparently that's all my loyalty is worth.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Hey, don't complain. At least you got a sachet of nothing as a tickle ;)

Did it say the drinking chocolate was a tickle? that reminds me of the time my bank (SMILE) sent me some sunflower seeds to sow :)

raging bull 07-12-2011 20:22

I wonder if they will try and entice 10/20Meg customers like myself onto 30/50Meg.
(One way of retiring the Ambit 256 and any others using old technology)
Another user since C&W days, how time has passed?

Ignitionnet 07-12-2011 21:39

Yay it's official.

Yep all 50Mb customers are being upgraded to 100Mb progressively.

Sorry to disappoint but 100Mb customers are not being upgraded to 200Mb, they're having their price dropped to the 50Mb price of £25/month if taken with a phone line.

100Mb will probably be subject to STM with this upgrade / price reduction, details to be confirmed.

I'm being upgraded in March 2012 if they ever get around to doing the ****ing upstream upgrades here.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35342273)
I wonder if they will try and entice 10/20Meg customers like myself onto 30/50Meg.

If you've a Superhub or VMNG 300 you'll be upgraded to 30Mb else if you're a 10Mb customer you'll go to 20Mb, if you're a 20Mb customer you'll go to 30Mb.

For the bored the 30Mb upgrade is to 60Mb.

General Maximus 07-12-2011 22:07

that is going to be their sneaky way of getting round 100mbit not being stm'd. I just hope they set some realistic limits because you can download a tonne of stuff in no time at all without even realising it. I left some uploads going uncapped the other day just to see what I could do and I maxed out just over 1mb/sec and uploaded 3gb before i even realised it. I could never do that on 50mbit.

Zee 07-12-2011 22:37

This is interesting. SO how do we know when we'll be upgraded? and what about upload speeds? Im sure this is a war against BT Infinity.

BenMcr 07-12-2011 22:38

For this Tickle you will only get the upgrade if you get an e-mail. You'll then get further details when they do the upgrade next year

adzii_nufc 08-12-2011 07:37

I'd rather pay my current 100mb bill than be subject to STM :(

General Maximus 08-12-2011 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35342413)

very good point dude, I have made a couple of comments over the last week about how it has been blasting away on newsgroups and stuff in the afternoon/evening when 50mbit used to crawl to a halt. Upload speed has been fantastic as well.

I would rather pay the extra £10 a month than be stm'd. VM can put all those extra £10s together and use it for upgrades rather than banging everyone up to 100mbit, killing the network and then we only get 50mbit anyway ;)

Peter_ 08-12-2011 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35342197)
I see your 1994 and raise you Nynex in June 1993 :)

Mine was CableNorthwest in 93 or 94 not exactly sure which but as soon as they laid the cable we got connected.:)

chrisjones 08-12-2011 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35342273)

They won't have to! After speaking to someone in Retentions yesterday, they confirmed to me (after a game of 20 questions) that it had been suggested in various meetings that 10mb will be on the way out at somepoint to make 30mb/50mb and 100mb the only tiers available as its too confusing to customers having all the different options currently.
They also confirmed that at present they have the following connections speeds available

2mb (for as they classes it 'the little old granny in the village'
10mb
20mb
30mb
100mb

So really it does make sense to migrate everyone onto a more simpler grading scale.

Again, this is what the Retentions person told me, dont shoot the messenger lol.

Chrysalis 08-12-2011 08:45

why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill.

When they one of the biggest isps in the uk with significant capacity issues.

I think they quite possibly the most incompetant at capacity management in the country.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the following.

(a) upgrade loyal customers for free who are already paying you a set amount.
(b) give customers who clearly are willing to pay XX amount for 100mbit a discount (presumably when this free upgrade is done to match 50mbit price)
(c) give out free upgrades when the network in place cannot handle it especially when it generates no revenue.

chrisjones 08-12-2011 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35342424)
why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill.

When they one of the biggest isps in the uk with significant capacity issues.

I think they quite possibly the most incompetant at capacity management in the country.

Can someone explain to me the logic of the following.

(a) upgrade loyal customers for free who are already paying you a set amount.
(b) give customers who clearly are willing to pay XX amount for 100mbit a discount (presumably when this free upgrade is done to match 50mbit price)
(c) give out free upgrades when the network in place cannot handle it especially when it generates no revenue.

Because, frankly, the competition at the moment is dire! Most areas in the UK struggle to get close to the advertised ADSL speeds. Cable on the other hand is far more reliable (or so the stats would show) when it comes to delivering close to the advertised speeds. Sure, there will always be those who have a rough experience BUT percentage wise I think VM provides a better product as a whole compared to the bigger ADSL based companies.

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwhite100 (Post 35342191)
This is very true, perhaps all subscribers will get a free speed increase in time to come.
I am on 50 meg and have thought seriously of getting 100meg but as the 50meg is more than adequate i see no reason to at the moment.

You also have to consider that with 50mb you get 24 hour technical support. For some reason when you pay more and get 100mb, you only get support 8am until 12 midnight.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35342213)
As a businessman, I am sure you didn't move/stay through loyalty, but because it made sense fiscally.....

I'm actually right on the verge of leaving VM completely, if they don't sort my current problems out.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35342251)
Did it say the drinking chocolate was a tickle? that reminds me of the time my bank (SMILE) sent me some sunflower seeds to sow :)

Exactly....I think it's a bit of a slap in the face. And it isn't going to do anything to keep me with VM, if they don't sort my current problem.

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35342302)
Yay it's official.

Sorry to disappoint but 100Mb customers are not being upgraded to 200Mb, they're having their price dropped to the 50Mb price of £25/month if taken with a phone line.

100Mb will probably be subject to STM with this upgrade / price reduction, details to be confirmed.

Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do??

In the past you have had to contact VM to get any price reductions, They don't just do it automatically.

Peter_ 08-12-2011 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342431)

Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do??

In the past you have had to contact VM to get any price reductions, They don't just do it automatically.

All tiers can be supported by any agent as they use the same kit so that should not be an issue unless they are fobbing you off.

BenMcr 08-12-2011 10:00

Quote:

Is this a sneaky way of cutting technical support costs, as 100mb don't get 24 hour support, when 50mb do?

Just to point out - ALL broadband customers get 24/7 Technical Support. Has never mattered was speed they are on

It is support for TV and Phone that is currently 8am to midnight 7 days a week

kwikbreaks 08-12-2011 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35342424)
why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill [snip]

I think the poster who saw this as a spoiler for Infinity hit the nail on the head.

Check any TBB chart from an ADSL or Infinity customer and you will see a huge difference in jitter even against fairly lightly loaded VM areas. So along comes Infinity and VM must be saying goodbye to loads of gamers. Then take the areas where there is high congestion - given the lack of any credible traffic management or capacity upgrades in a reasonable timescale and Infinity will grab some more VM customers.

VM could sort out their capacity issues but as the company is run by marketing they are instead offering headline speed upgrades which will in all probability make the reasons people leave for Infinity more widespread although it must be said that it isn't the speed itself that causes congestion but the sustained use of that speed.

It will be interesting to see how much of that 30Mbps I'll be able to get in this supposedly upgraded area which is already showing high levels of congestion less than a month down the line. At least it makes my decision on whether to risk an upgrade to 30Mbps a really easy one to make.

GazCBG 08-12-2011 10:32

Quote:

Yay it's official.

So does that mean anyone with 100Mb now are going to get screwed, on the monthly bill payment of a extra £10 per month till they update the 100Mb price?

Ignitionnet 08-12-2011 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Gaz (Post 35342468)
So does that mean anyone with 100Mb now are going to get screwed, on the monthly bill payment of a extra £10 per month till they update the 100Mb price?

Right now 100Mb is £35. It will stay that way until 50Mb is uplifted to 100Mb when it will be reduced to £25.

There is no 'screwing' involved, both will happen at the same time.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35342413)

Your current bill isn't covering the pain 100Mb customers are causing on the network right now.

Probably won't be downstream management but upstream most definitely.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35342415)
I would rather pay the extra £10 a month than be stm'd. VM can put all those extra £10s together and use it for upgrades rather than banging everyone up to 100mbit, killing the network and then we only get 50mbit anyway ;)

The extra £10s per month wouldn't pay for much upgrade. Torrent fiends seeding 24x7 are causing a fair amount of issues.

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35342447)
All tiers can be supported by any agent as they use the same kit so that should not be an issue unless they are fobbing you off.

It seems like you get a different story depending on who you speak to at VM. But I was told that there was no way that technical support from their call centre in India could help me, because I am on 100mb, and the 100mb team finish at midnight.

If they were fobbing me off, then I will have a very serious complaint.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342449)
Just to point out - ALL broadband customers get 24/7 Technical Support. Has never mattered was speed they are on

It is support for TV and Phone that is currently 8am to midnight 7 days a week

You need to check your companies policies. The 100mb BB team only operates 8am to midnight.

Ignitionnet 08-12-2011 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 35342074)

Perfectly true, I wouldn't mind one of those but given I don't have the upload upgrade yet let alone 100Mb available full stop it's not likely ;)

Peter_ 08-12-2011 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342475)
It seems like you get a different story depending on who you speak to at VM. But I was told that there was no way that technical support from their call centre in India could help me, because I am on 100mb, and the 100mb team finish at midnight.

If they were fobbing me off, then I will have a very serious complaint.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

You need to check your companies policies. The 100mb BB team only operates 8am to midnight.

The dedicated team may close at Midnight but all agents can support 100Mb due to it using the same kit, I am not a 100Mb agent but support 50Mb and have supported 100Mb calls.

They can help if they want to and this has been mailed out quite recently to all agents so regardless of the actual time help can still be offered.

The 100Mb team are all 2nd line agents who only work to Midnight that why it stipulates the hours.

slowcoach 08-12-2011 11:04

Quote:

I really enjoyed the drinking chocolate, anyone know the make?

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35342479)
The dedicated team may close at Midnight but all agents can support 100Mb due to it using the same kit, I am not a 100Mb agent but support 50Mb and have supported 100Mb calls.

They can help if they want to and this has been mailed out quite recently to all agents so regardless of the actual time help can still be offered.

The 100Mb team are all 2nd line agents who only work to Midnight that why it stipulates the hours.

Well all I can say is that VM are in a complete mess, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, because I was refused help because I am on 100mb.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcoach (Post 35342488)

Do you want mine?

Digital Fanatic 08-12-2011 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342492)
Well all I can say is that VM are in a complete mess, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, because I was refused help because I am on 100mb.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Do you want mine?

Was this just the once, Tim? or are you getting refused help out-of-hours continuously?

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcoach (Post 35342488)

Thorntons, I think :)

morley04 08-12-2011 11:39

And there I was hoping it was an upgrade for everyone :( hope I get a tickle ;)

Quote:

Yay it's official.

I'm being upgraded in March 2012 if they ever get around to doing the ****ing upstream upgrades here.

If you've a Superhub or VMNG 300 you'll be upgraded to 30Mb else if you're a 10Mb customer you'll go to 20Mb, if you're a 20Mb customer you'll go to 30Mb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35342348)
For this Tickle you will only get the upgrade if you get an e-mail. You'll then get further details when they do the upgrade next year

greeninferno 08-12-2011 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjones (Post 35342423)
They won't have to! After speaking to someone in Retentions yesterday, they confirmed to me (after a game of 20 questions) that it had been suggested in various meetings that 10mb will be on the way out at somepoint to make 30mb/50mb and 100mb the only tiers available as its too confusing to customers having all the different options currently.
They also confirmed that at present they have the following connections speeds available

2mb (for as they classes it 'the little old granny in the village'
10mb
20mb
30mb
100mb

So really it does make sense to migrate everyone onto a more simpler grading scale.

Again, this is what the Retentions person told me, dont shoot the messenger lol.

but everyone on these lower tiers will require a new modem/hub to move up speed, who is going to pay for that?

jb66 08-12-2011 13:08

More likely 20 60 100

thenry 08-12-2011 13:34

Are SHs now being shipped out left right and centre?

jb66 08-12-2011 13:51

Nope, regular hubs for ten meg and twenty meg customers

thenry 08-12-2011 14:01

you sure? I've seen a few threads now from 10-20Mb customers having the SH sent to them, not sure whether their mistaken or not :shrug:

Hugh 08-12-2011 14:16

Quote:

I'm actually right on the verge of leaving VM completely, if they don't sort my current problems out.

But of course, I was referring to the past re loyalty vs fiscal sense equation.....

Peter_ 08-12-2011 14:33

Quote:

I expect that will be offshore agents as it is out of hours and expect the support to degrade once our office closes.

chrisjones 08-12-2011 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35342596)
I expect that will be offshore agents as it is out of hours and expect the support to degrade once our office closes.

Do you always go through retentions?

I never called the foreign 'tech' lines as its all scripted answers..

WaxMan 08-12-2011 14:56

Now I have to wonder if I will be lucky and have this apply to my current 20Mb connection considering that I am only paying for 10Mb was given the upgrade after having connection issues on and off for couple of weeks quite a while back.

Ignitionnet 08-12-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35342543)
More likely 20 60 100

20 (L, non-DOCSIS 3 modems)
30 (L DOCSIS 3, all non-DOCSIS 3 XL)
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.

morley04 08-12-2011 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35342634)
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.

Is this for everyone or just people who get an email ?

Ignitionnet 08-12-2011 15:32

It's entirely separate from this email.

jb66 08-12-2011 15:35

Quote:

60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.

I hope not, certain folk paying for L getting 30 some paying for xl getting 30, too confusing!

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35342567)
you sure? I've seen a few threads now from 10-20Mb customers having the SH sent to them, not sure whether their mistaken or not :shrug:

Positive, any superhub put in for ten or twenty meg gets investigated, call centers may be able to do what they want

slowcoach 08-12-2011 15:47

Quote:

Do you want mine?

Thanks for the offer Tim but as Digital Fanatic reckons it's Thorntons, which seems plausible, I'd better not get into a habit which is beyond my modest means. Aldi's drinking chocolate is going to taste even weaker from now on though. :dozey:

thenry 08-12-2011 15:47

Quote:

60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

As far as I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35342650)
I hope not, certain folk paying for L getting 30 some paying for xl getting 30, too confusing![COLOR="Silver"]

yeah I didn't understand that, don't really like the look of it. I thought VM would get rid of everything below 30 shifting everyone onto docsis3 - SHs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35342650)
Positive, any superhub put in for ten or twenty meg gets investigated, call centers may be able to do what they want

call centres :shrug: this guy got a SH - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...3-upgrade.html

not sure whether they charged him or not. Initially I thought as above, everyone getting shifted onto docsis3 reading posts of heads getting SHs for services lower than 30meg.. ready for the upgrades? Can those standard Hubs and modems handle 30meg?

jb66 08-12-2011 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35342659)
yeah I didn't understand that, don't really like the look of it. I thought VM would get rid of everything below 30 shifting everyone onto docsis3 - SHs.

call centres :shrug: this guy got a SH - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...3-upgrade.html

not sure whether they charged him or not. Initially I thought as above, everyone getting shifted onto docsis3 reading posts of heads getting SHs for services lower than 30meg.. ready for the upgrades? Can those standard Hubs and modems handle 30meg?

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadban...s-routers.html

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35342502)
Was this just the once, Tim? or are you getting refused help out-of-hours continuously?

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Thorntons, I think :)

Does it make a difference?

It was both the first operator, and their manager at the call centre. Now it's bad enough the first operator not knowing. But there is no excuse for a manager not knowing.

Looks like huge training needs at VM.

SnoopZ 08-12-2011 16:02

Quote:

Yay it's official.

Is there a link to the official announcement? :)

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35342573)
But of course, I was referring to the past re loyalty vs fiscal sense equation.....

THere comes a stage when you have just had enough I'm afraid,

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35342596)

And that's the whole problem with VM using overseas call centres...they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjones (Post 35342606)
I never called the foreign 'tech' lines as its all scripted answers..

And that's the problem

kwikbreaks 08-12-2011 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35342671)
Is there a link to the official announcement? :)

What makes you think there is any official announcement yet?

This gives XL non-DOCIS3 more incentive to shell out the £30 for a Superhub I suppose. Plus how well is 30Mbps on non-DOCSIS3 going to perform? I'm expecting an answer of badly as sfaik there is only a single downstream.

SnoopZ 08-12-2011 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35342678)
What makes you think there is any official announcement yet?

This gives XL non-DOCIS3 more incentive to shell out the £30 for a Superhub I suppose. Plus how well is 30Mbps on non-DOCSIS3 going to perform? I'm expecting an answer of badly as sfaik there is only a single downstream.

Well Ignition said it was official so it would be nice to find out where that info came from. :)

thenry 08-12-2011 16:17

thanks for clearing that up kwik. apologies for being thick :(

Hugh 08-12-2011 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342673)
THere comes a stage when you have just had enough I'm afraid,

You really are trying hard not to answer my question, aren't you? ;)

I'll try again - did you, before this issue, stay with VM through loyalty or because it was fiscally advantageous to you?

kwikbreaks 08-12-2011 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35342679)
Well Ignition said it was official so it would be nice to find out where that info came from. :)

I'm guessing this is one of those cases where he could tell you but then he'd have to kill you....

I can't see VM keeping it under wraps for long now it's released into the wild though - after all they'll consider it to be good news. I might too if it weren't for the fact that my connection is borked through oversubscription already.

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35342688)
You really are trying hard not to answer my question, aren't you? ;)

I'll try again - did you, before this issue, stay with VM through loyalty or because it was fiscally advantageous to you?

With respect it was a business decision, and none of your business, or any of VM's business as to why we have been loyal to them. But the fact remains that we have (for whatever reason).

Digital Fanatic 08-12-2011 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342668)
Does it make a difference?

It was both the first operator, and their manager at the call centre. Now it's bad enough the first operator not knowing. But there is no excuse for a manager not knowing.

Looks like huge training needs at VM.

Yes it does... Myself and other VM Staff on here have said already, you should have been given help when you called.

I'm trying to find out if it's happening all the time or you got a "bad" agent/Manager when you called the offshore centre.

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35342707)
Yes it does... Myself and other VM Staff on here have said already, you should have been given help when you called.

Please don't think that I am blaming you, or any other member of VM staff on this forum. I know it must be very embarrassing when the company you work for doesn't operate to your standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35342707)
I'm trying to find out if it's happening all the time or you got a "bad" agent/Manager when you called the offshore centre.

Thanks for that.

This is just another example of why VM shouldn't use overseas call centres.

thenry 08-12-2011 17:29

Where have you moved? I'm sure they have offshore call centres too.

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35342724)
Where have you moved? I'm sure they have offshore call centres too.

You haven't been following this thread have you??

thenry 08-12-2011 17:41

To be honest I haven't followed a few things today.

Digital Fanatic 08-12-2011 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35342729)
To be honest I haven't followed a few things today.

lol :D

Hugh 08-12-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342704)
With respect it was a business decision, and none of your business, or any of VM's business as to why we have been loyal to them. But the fact remains that we have (for whatever reason).

With respect, you were the one who raised the topic of spending a long time with a company constituting loyalty in the first place....

Surely they rewarded your loyalty by giving you a better deal than you could get elsewhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342204)

Andrewcrawford23 08-12-2011 18:32

i assume i will need to have the superhub :s and not accept a degraded service with vmg300 as i rather have the vmg300 which i know is stable and not have the superhub which last time i check was still unstable i assume modem mode works fine i dnt want to use the built in rotuer rather use my own network which is a advance

morley04 08-12-2011 18:39

Will we be seeing these increased channels with the new upgraded speeds? from 4 to 5 ? etc

General Maximus 08-12-2011 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 (Post 35342755)
i assume i will need to have the superhub :s and not accept a degraded service with vmg300 as i rather have the vmg300 which i know is stable and not have the superhub which last time i check was still unstable i assume modem mode works fine i dnt want to use the built in rotuer rather use my own network which is a advance

that's exactly what I thought dude. The good news is that I have heard it from the horses mouth this morning that you can defo keep your vmng300 and they'll upgrade you over the phone (no engineer visit :) )

thenry 08-12-2011 19:07

all 8 were being quoted on some tiers.. I think :erm:

Ignitionnet 08-12-2011 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by morley04 (Post 35342758)
Will we be seeing these increased channels with the new upgraded speeds? from 4 to 5 ? etc

Yes, areas will go up to 8 channels as needed, new line cards.

Neo-Tech 08-12-2011 19:42

I just got an extra downstream channel added on Tuesday on my SuperHub. They obviously did something to ruin my upstream too which is now at 31 from 37. Father won't do anything about it with the approach of 'it works'. Really, it's been iffy, but whatever.

Is this part of the upgrade process? Would love to know what they did as it was down for quite a bit. (cpc9-heck-6-2-0)

Tim Deegan 08-12-2011 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35342731)
With respect, you were the one who raised the topic of spending a long time with a company constituting loyalty in the first place....

Surely they rewarded your loyalty by giving you a better deal than you could get elsewhere.

To be honest I think they have taken advantage of the fact that I haven't changed to anyone else despite the very very poor CS.

If things don't improve in the next week I will be taking the whole lot to another provider.

Andrewcrawford23 08-12-2011 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35342822)
To be honest I think they have taken advantage of the fact that I haven't changed to anyone else despite the very very poor CS.

If things don't improve in the next week I will be taking the whole lot to another provider.

why should one week make a difference? if it has been that bad just go it likes your staying hoping to get something better for free or to get it cheaper. the impression i am getting is yoru CS has been crap to put it lightly so i aint sure how one week would change your views

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35342767)
that's exactly what I thought dude. The good news is that I have heard it from the horses mouth this morning that you can defo keep your vmng300 and they'll upgrade you over the phone (no engineer visit :) )

ill happily take teh superhub if i can have garantees the modem mode works perfectly and the rotuer is disable completley no signal coming form it at all, trust me when i say two rotuers close to each other will caue major signal inferences and cause drop out. also i want it to work like the current modem so i log in and it be liek anormal modem only way ll use the piece of ....