Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : General TiVo Discussion Part 3 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685747)

passingbat 17-06-2012 13:03

Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35442565)
Its one of my fav things about TiVo. Its not a fault its a feature. Also nothing to. Do with adverts. Its so when rewinding or fast forwarding you don't miss any of what you are watching. I've mastered getting it to start in the right place. Best thing is to press okay when the show you are watching has started then it will jump to the start rather than the last advert.

Agreed. I think it's a brilliant feature. As said, you just have to wait until you see the show resume, then press play and you're in exactly the right place.

spiderplant 17-06-2012 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35442569)
If it's a feature then I'd like to have the option to turn it off. I'm not really a big fan of having to master something as basic as fast forward to have it working as I expect. I waste so much time trying to get programmes to play from the correct point it's unbelievable. Not a problem I ever had with my V+ box. Each to their own however for me personally it's not adding anything to my viewing experience:td:

Press pause twice instead of play. Alternatively, if you know how long the ad break is going to be, use skip forward the right number of times instead.

Lew 17-06-2012 13:45

Most commercial breaks these days seem to be either 3½ or 4½ minutes long, so press the skip forwards button 7 times or 9 times depending on the channel and you’ll usually arrive at the end of the break.

Chad 17-06-2012 14:01

Some good tips that'll try later. The wife is hogging the TV at the moment watching back to back Dog The Bounty Hunter of all things :(

Itshim 18-06-2012 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35442565)
Its one of my fav things about TiVo. Its not a fault its a feature. Also nothing to. Do with adverts. Its so when rewinding or fast forwarding you don't miss any of what you are watching. I've mastered getting it to start in the right place. Best thing is to press okay when the show you are watching has started then it will jump to the start rather than the last advert.

That works for me, if you know something is happening work around it

andy_m 18-06-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotmac (Post 35438801)
Tivo Commander App working again.Posted on Vm help and support forum I have downloaded and tried it.You can get it here.

TiVo Commander: https://github.com/arantius/TiVo-Commander/downloads

So what's caused that to work again then? Can we expect the official app soon, or is it not possible to infer that from this development?

Just had another play, really chuffed, great app.

Coffpigeon 20-06-2012 18:51

Hi, will be upgraded soon from v+ box to TiVo.

Is it true the tivo box is programmed to reboot every so often so if your watching or recording something, you'll lose service for 5-10 mins?

andy_m 20-06-2012 18:56

I don't reckon-maybe had two reboots in well over a year.

Stephen 20-06-2012 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffpigeon (Post 35444190)
Hi, will be upgraded soon from v+ box to TiVo.

Is it true the tivo box is programmed to reboot every so often so if your watching or recording something, you'll lose service for 5-10 mins?

No that's not true at all. Not sure where you heard that.

passingbat 20-06-2012 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35444199)
No that's not true at all. Not sure where you heard that.

A jealous Sky user maybe? ;):D:erm:

Coffpigeon 20-06-2012 20:14

I've read a few comments on various forums. Well if it's once in a blue moon that's fine, cheers

borrissey 20-06-2012 22:37

Any news when FW update will drop with reminders etc?

I'd love them to bring out myvirginmedia app.

denphone 27-06-2012 15:43

CBS Action beams aboard new app to Virgin Media’s TiVo service.

http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...-Bow-23d7.aspx

WaxMan 27-06-2012 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35442575)
Agreed. I think it's a brilliant feature. As said, you just have to wait until you see the show resume, then press play and you're in exactly the right place.

It is great if only it had been around since VCRs were introduced, all those years of training in how to identify the end of add breaks so you can start the program at the right place are now being extremely hard to shake off.

Its worse with rewind though if you want to go back 10 seconds (to double check something or just look again) you are constantly finding yourself back at where you started rewinding from, it drives my wife up the walls.

andy_m 27-06-2012 18:30

Use the back button (| <-) to snap back 8 seconds at a time instead.