Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33665832)

kai_mitsurugi 03-06-2010 21:09

Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

Hi. Haven't posted here in ages.

I read somewhere that Virgin Mobile would be offering the HTC Desire on contract. Not sure of exact terms of the contract but existing Virgin customers could have it from £30 a month for 18 months or £25 a month for 2 years.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...eal-yet-680099

It's a phone I really want but I have a few questions about Virgin Mobile
  • How "Unlimited" is their Internet and what about Unlimited Push E-mail?
  • Is signal good? I know they use T-Mobile's stuff
  • What is customer support like.
I have more but that's all I can think of now.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Acidphire21 03-06-2010 21:37

Re: Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

ok i got this last week its an awesome phone :)

ya get 1.02GB data per month under the £25 a month for 2 years deal (Fair useage policy) and Ive barely uses 0.01 of it in a week!

signal seems fine but never had a problem on T- Mobile

Customer support seemed fine but i only phoned up to ask something about the data

but generally a quality phone got for it :)

kai_mitsurugi 03-06-2010 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidphire21 (Post 35033691)
ok i got this last week its an awesome phone :)

ya get 1.02GB data per month under the £25 a month for 2 years deal (Fair useage policy) and Ive barely uses 0.01 of it in a week!

signal seems fine but never had a problem on T- Mobile

Customer support seemed fine but i only phoned up to ask something about the data

but generally a quality phone got for it :)

Thanks

How do you keep track of how much Internet you are using?

TheDon 04-06-2010 00:52

If the data is enough really depends on what you're doing.
If you're streaming from last.fm or spotify all the time you're going to eat through it. If you're just doing normal usage, checking email, browsing the web a bit, it'll be fine.

I'd say I'm pretty heavy on usage in terms of browsing (but I don't stream audio or video much) and I usually do about 15mb a day just with web browsing on the bus, and apps like facebook pulling data down, which is about 500mb a month.

It's really easy to track usage, there's a free app called netcounter which will log your data usage by interface, so wifi is kept seperate to mobile, and you can set alerts on usage levels, so if you're close to your limit it'll alert you.

Signal is fine, excellent in some areas, marginal in others, but about the same as the other networks.

Customer support has been great for me so far, accidently changed my tariff online because there's no confirmation just a click and it's changed and they changed it back immediately for me no hassle.

Acidphire21 04-06-2010 08:43

either that or log onto the virginmobile page and it shows you how much data remaining. :) i tend to connect to mates wi-fi networks if im going to be doing something hefty with the phone. and i love the fact i can have a switch on the front to turn off mobile net and then turn on wi-fi so i know im not accidentily using the data when i dont want to.

kai_mitsurugi 04-06-2010 20:57

Awesome. Thanks guys!

BenMcr 04-06-2010 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidphire21 (Post 35033847)
either that or log onto the virginmobile page and it shows you how much data remaining.

You can now get the same info (data/mins/texts) remaining on the mobile homepage on your handset

Acidphire21 05-06-2010 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35034401)
You can now get the same info (data/mins/texts) remaining on the mobile homepage on your handset

yea i spotted that but i try to avoid using my data as i have mainly used it for Sat nav) and just connect to wi-fi when i want a browse. and when connected to wi-fi it wont show that info

Peter_ 05-06-2010 10:03

The HTC HD2 and the HTC Desire are both out of stock on the Virgin Mobile website at the moment.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/home.do

BenMcr 05-06-2010 10:04

Desire should be back in stock from Monday (unless they've sold out again already!)

Peter_ 05-06-2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35034561)
Desire should be back in stock from Monday (unless they've sold out again already!)

When they were last in stock they starting limiting them to Virginmedia customers only as the uptake on the Desire was so great, I wonder if they will do so again.

BenMcr 05-06-2010 10:19

I think last time there were also some issues with HTC being able to fulfill orders in time - as all the other networks all seems to run out around the same time

Peter_ 05-06-2010 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35034573)
I think last time there were also some issues with HTC being able to fulfill orders in time - as all the other networks all seems to run out around the same time

They are a very popular phone and quite a few of my colleagues have got either the HD2 or the Desire, not me though my contract has 9 months to run.:erm:;)

BenMcr 05-06-2010 10:31

The HD2 won't be back in stock though as it's been discontinued as a handset on VM as far as I know

Peter_ 05-06-2010 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35034588)
The HD2 won't be back in stock though as it's been discontinued as a handset on VM as far as I know

They were the last phones they had in stock in the HTC range, plus they were offering refurbished as new models at a reduced price and even they flew out.

At least when my contract is up the will be something new and exciting to get.;)