Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704723)

RichardCoulter 08-04-2017 20:13

Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

A Samsung Galaxy iPhone occasionally keeps cutting off the TiVo from being received by my TV!

Is there any way for this to stop? Is it him or me doing something wrong with my TV or TiVo settings? If I ever cast something to my TV, will he or others be able to see my tablet?

My TV is also made by Samsung, if that's relevant.

Many thanks.

paultrademark 09-04-2017 08:45

Re: Someone's mobile phone keeps overiding my TiVo!

No such thing as a Samsung iPhone

arcimedes 09-04-2017 09:19

How do you know what make of phone it is? Only devices known to tvanywhere can communicate with the Tivo and even then only over your local network.

Added after thinking it might be able to interfere with recordings etc. A little more information would be useful.

theone2k10 09-04-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35893872)
How do you know what make of phone it is? Only devices known to tvanywhere can communicate with the Tivo and even then only over your local network.

Added after thinking it might be able to interfere with recordings etc. A little more information would be useful.

Sometimes you can tell if you log into your router my phone shows up in connections as iphone 5s, my android box just says unidentified device and the tv says samsungplc.

RichardCoulter 09-04-2017 14:32

What happens is the sound goes off and the picture is replaced by the home screen of a phone. There's loads of icons like Google, what's app, and some in Polish which is why I think it's a pole that's doing it.

At the top it definitely said Samsung Galaxy as I've heard of these phones and noted it was the same manufacturer of my TV. I'll double check next time it happens to see if it says iPhone afterwards.

It's only happened twice over the year, but happened twice in a row the other night. Nothing ever happens after the home screen, which makes me think that they can't get what they want to do to work. Maybe it isn't casting after all??

I only use the TiVo to watch recordings (not sure if it's actually on the recording or not, I'll have to check next time it happens).

It's also a Smart TV that's connected to the WiFi too.

I'm reluctant to change the password as it's printed beneath the VM WiFi router, but will if I have to. My memory isn't what it was following a fall resulting in a mild brain injury.

Stephen 09-04-2017 14:44

A Samsung iPhone?? that just doesn't exist. It would be a Samsung Galaxy, of which there are many models. But it would be android in that case,.

If they are direct casting to TV, i think you could turn that off in the TV settings?

alwaysabear 09-04-2017 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893885)
What happens is the sound goes off and the picture is replaced by the home screen of a phone. There's loads of icons like Google, what's app, and some in Polish which is why I think it's a pole that's doing it.

At the top it definitely said Samsung Galaxy as I've heard of these phones and noted it was the same manufacturer of my TV. I'll double check next time it happens to see if it says iPhone afterwards.

It's only happened twice over the year, but happened twice in a row the other night. Nothing ever happens after the home screen, which makes me think that they can't get what they want to do to work. Maybe it isn't casting after all??

I only use the TiVo to watch recordings (not sure if it's actually on the recording or not, I'll have to check next time it happens).

I'm reluctant to change the password as it's printed beneath the VM WiFi router, but will if I have to. My memory isn't what it was following a fall resulting in a mild brain injury.

Sounds to me that some one has your password and is playing games with you using phone via tv anywhere.:shocked:

theone2k10 09-04-2017 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893885)

Is your tv a samsung smart tv?
If so from what you're saying it seems like someone has paired their phone up to your tv and you are seeing their phone, go into your smart hub look for samsung cast or whatever it's called now it'll look like the icon on their google play app see here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....samsung&hl=en remove all devices and set a pin that should stop it.

jb66 09-04-2017 17:20

Thats screen mirroring to your tv, nothing to do with Tivo

cheekyangus 09-04-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35893899)
Thats screen mirroring to your tv, nothing to do with Tivo

Yes, I agree.

I keep getting prompted about casting and as such I'm pretty sure one of my neighbours has a Chromecast or similar device. One of these days I'm convinced I'll accidentally cast to it.

Your TV will just have casting built-in and be set to look out for requests. Have a look through your TV settings, you'll probably be able to switch it off or lock it down and de-pair it.

RichardCoulter 10-04-2017 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35893897)
Is your tv a samsung smart tv?
If so from what you're saying it seems like someone has paired their phone up to your tv and you are seeing their phone, go into your smart hub look for samsung cast or whatever it's called now it'll look like the icon on their google play app see here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....samsung&hl=en remove all devices and set a pin that should stop it.

Yes, it's a Samsung Smart TV.

Many thanks​, that worked. There was a Samsung Galaxy marked as a phone in brackets, I'd misread the opening bracket as an 'i' :blush: