Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Explosion in French city of Lyon injures at least 13 people (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707719)

Ramrod 25-05-2019 21:15

Explosion in French city of Lyon injures at least 13 people

Police last night locked down the Victor Hugo area of the French city Lyon while the streets were filled with soldiers and firefighters, local media reported.
Anti-terror cops are hunting a male suspect after 13 people were injured when a parcel bomb filled with “nails, bolts and screws” exploded during rush hour in Lyon yesterday.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/05/te...year-old-girl/

Strangely, nothing in the UK press

[Admin Insert: Now being reported: On Sky News: here : Guardian: here & BBC: here ]

Damien 25-05-2019 22:14

Re: Explosion in French city of Lyon injures at least 13 people

I saw it on Sky: https://news.sky.com/story/french-po...spect-11728050

nomadking 25-05-2019 23:34

Guardian
Quote:

French police are hunting a suspect believed to have deposited a paper bag containing a device that exploded on Friday, wounding 13 people on a busy pedestrian street in the city of Lyon.
BBC
Quote:

French police have made an appeal for information in their hunt for a man suspected of planting a parcel bomb in Lyon, which injured 13 people.

Ramrod 26-05-2019 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35996280)

I stand corrected. It wasn't obviously reported in the Telegraph, Spectator or the Times :(

nomadking 26-05-2019 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35996284)
That's what I was wondering. Perhaps he's intimating that the story is made up? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

I stand corrected. It wasn't obviously reported in the Telegraph, Spectator or the Times :(

Doesn't take much to do a search to see if something has been reported by other sources.
Telegraph

Ramrod 26-05-2019 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35996288)
Doesn't take much to do a search to see if something has been reported by other sources.
Telegraph

As I said, I stand corrected.
It is interesting though that pretty much everyone here has focused on my last throwaway comment rather than the news item that I posted describing a nail bomb and the people injured by it.
Why is that?

Mick 26-05-2019 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35996290)
It is interesting though that pretty much everyone here has focused on my last throwaway comment rather than the news item that I posted describing a nail bomb and the people injured by it.
Why is that?

I know, pathetic isn't it which is why I have deleted such ridiculous posts which bear no relevance to this incident.

There better not be a repeat of this because I am getting pissed off with certain members on here, accusing certain news sources of being far right/left. It's not on topic, so pack it in.

Damien 26-05-2019 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35996290)
Why is that?

I think it's because the changing nature of how the media covers suspected acts of terrorism is interesting. There was a time when this would be rolling news, across the front pages and dominating the news cycle. A couple of years back something changes and now whilst the media reports it they don't give it huge prominence. I think as a result it makes the acts of terror less effective. It's a similar argument to not going overboard on school shootings as it could encourage others.

Maggy 26-05-2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35996300)
I think it's because the changing nature of how the media covers suspected acts of terrorism is interesting. There was a time when this would be rolling news, across the front pages and dominating the news cycle. A couple of years back something changes and now whilst the media reports it they don't give it huge prominence. I think as a result it makes the acts of terror less effective. It's a similar argument to not going overboard on school shootings as it could encourage others.

:tu: