Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705186)

buckeye 30-07-2017 15:48

Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909868)
...And don't forget ITV Encore!

Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.

Hom3r 30-07-2017 18:13

No me episodes of The Chase being on 6/7 days a week, :D

OLD BOY 30-07-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35909914)
Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.

I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.

johnathome 02-08-2017 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35909924)
I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.

I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.

OLD BOY 02-08-2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35910301)
I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.

I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.

Gavin-D 16-08-2017 17:11

Any updates on this?

Chris 16-08-2017 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910318)
I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.

You do know what "encore" means, don't you?

denphone 16-08-2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35912878)
Any updates on this?

None thus so far.

muppetman11 16-08-2017 18:52

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.

denphone 16-08-2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35912889)
Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows..

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.

Well MM it might surprise you but you are quite correct as they have a great back catalogue of shows that is for sure.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Well if they showed all the stuff that is not politically correct then that would increase the content quite considerably on some of their lesser channels.

Ignitionnet 16-08-2017 22:01

Quote:

Agreed, but very much doubt that linear TV is the way for people to enjoy them. Far better to put them on video on demand platforms. Linear channels replaying old content, with the exception of +1 channels, can't have too much life left in them and, frankly, no reason to have them.

Mr K 16-08-2017 22:30

Quote:

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows. .

Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment ;)

muppetman11 16-08-2017 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912925)
Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment ;)

I didn't actually say everything they touched was a hit.;)

denphone 17-08-2017 05:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912925)

l have a part just perfect for you in the new remake Mr K.;)

Mr K 17-08-2017 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912938)
l have a part just perfect for you in the new remake Mr K.;)

Ooh you are naughty Den, get them buses out !

I've got a part in mind for you too...
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/08/16.jpg ;)