Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705434)

1andrew1 24-09-2017 23:03

Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs

Does this show that education and religion should be separated?
Quote:

Girls as young as four are being “forced to wear the hijab” as uniform at state-funded Islamic schools, new research has found.
More than two in five Islamic schools in England that accept girls require them to wear a hijab as school uniform, according to the research.
Some 59 of 142 (42 per cent) of Islamic schools, including 27 primary schools, have a uniform policy which states a head-covering is compulsory, the National Secular Society (NSS) said.
The body has written to Education Secretary Justine Greening to express its concern over the figures, which also showed eight of the secondary schools and three of the primary schools were state-funded.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...-a3642331.html

TheDaddy 24-09-2017 23:09

Re: Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35917825)
Does this show that education and religion should be separated?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...-a3642331.html

I'm confused, why do 4 year olds need a hijab, I'd be interested to see what Islamic text or culture require really little girls to cover up

1andrew1 24-09-2017 23:21

Re: Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35917827)
I'm confused, why do 4 year olds need a hijab, I'd be interested to see what Islamic text or culture require really little girls to cover up

Exactly, I didn't get that email either! If we're trying to integrate people and avoid radicalisation, giving schools this type of freedom is not the way to do it!

pip08456 24-09-2017 23:56

This has nothing whatsoever to do with education per se but more to do with religion and certainly has nothing to do with Tory party policy.

Religious schools have existed in this country for centuries. The problem here is the religion and the interpretation of both those running the school and the parents of the children.

Good luck in changing their views.

1andrew1 25-09-2017 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35917832)
This has nothing whatsoever to do with education per se but more to do with religion and certainly has nothing to do with Tory party policy.

Religious schools have existed in this country for centuries. The problem here is the religion and the interpretation of both those running the school and the parents of the children.

Tory party policy is to encourage and state-fund religious schools in preference to council-run schools. Preferably with light-touch, red-tape-free regulation, And this, as the article explains, is one of the consequences.
You don't need to change extremists' views. Just don't hand over tax-payers' money to them.

pip08456 25-09-2017 00:33

Care to post a link to that policy?

nomadking 25-09-2017 00:46

Here's a clue.
Article from 2007.
Quote:

There are 126 full-time Muslim schools in England, according to the Department for Education and Skills. The vast majority (115) are independent. Just eight Muslim schools are state-funded and another three have been approved to open in the state sector.
The numbers have increased in recent years. In 2003, there were 53 Muslim schools.
2007 was before 2010.

TheDaddy 25-09-2017 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35917832)

What part of the religion says four year olds have to be covered up?

pip08456 25-09-2017 01:26

Quote:

State-funded schools in England are schools in England which provide education to pupils between the ages of 3 and 18 without charge. Approximately 93% of English schoolchildren attend such schools.[1] These include academy schools, community schools, foundation schools, voluntary aided schools and voluntary controlled schools; a small number are state boarding schools and three are City Technology Colleges. A significant minority are faith schools, which are attached to religious groups, most often the Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church.

Free schools, introduced by the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition following the 2010 general election, are newly established schools in England set up by parents, teachers, charities or businesses, where there is a perceived local need for more schools. They are funded by taxpayers, are academically non-selective and free to attend, and like Foundation schools and Academies, are not controlled by a local authority. They are ultimately accountable to the Secretary of State for Education, and are conceptually based on similar schools found in Sweden, Chile, New Zealand, Canada and the United States, where they are known as Charter schools. Free schools are an extension of the existing Academy Programme, and are in fact legally identical to Academies with the term "Free School" being used for Academies that are newly established under the Governments Free School Initiative rather than being an existing school converted to Academy status. The Academies Act 2010 authorises the creation of free schools and allows all existing state schools to become Academy schools. Persons or groups seeking to set up a Free School may obtain assistance from the government supported New Schools Network. This last should not be confused with the Local Schools Network which is a group set up to oppose both Free Schools, and indeed the whole Academy program. The first 24 free schools opened in Autumn 2011.

Link

Of course if anyone has a link to a change in this policy I would gladly bow my head in respect.

RizzyKing 25-09-2017 01:46

I know one of my friends pulled his children out of an islamic school prefering to place them in an ordinary school because of ever strictor interpretations of islam. Being honest I don't like faith schools and in this day and age i think we are nearing the point where it might be time to abolish them and all children just go to ordinary schools and it would certainly aid certain groups in society integrating far better then they have so far. Our liberal approaches whilst laudable are being used against us to continue seperation rather then integration like many other areas we need to adapt to the changes in society.

Osem 25-09-2017 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35917839)
I know one of my friends pulled his children out of an islamic school prefering to place them in an ordinary school because of ever strictor interpretations of islam. Being honest I don't like faith schools and in this day and age i think we are nearing the point where it might be time to abolish them and all children just go to ordinary schools and it would certainly aid certain groups in society integrating far better then they have so far. Our liberal approaches whilst laudable are being used against us to continue seperation rather then integration like many other areas we need to adapt to the changes in society.

If you run a country in a way which effectively encourages religious and cultural difference it hardly makes for an integrated society. In trying to accommodate everyone and everything they want, we've encouraged separation and removed a very large part of that which would have the opposite effect.

BenMcr 25-09-2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35917837)
What part of the religion says four year olds have to be covered up?

It doesn't as far as I'm aware. This debate has been going on for a while:
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-wearing-hijab

Paul 25-09-2017 18:47

I'm pretty sure most 4 year olds have always been told what to wear, whats the difference here ?

TheDaddy 25-09-2017 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917945)
I'm pretty sure most 4 year olds have always been told what to wear, whats the difference here ?

Little thing like the sexualisation of 4 year olds :shrug:

Osem 25-09-2017 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917945)

Nowadays even 3 year olds are starting to tell their parents what sex they want to be... :spin:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...as-quadrupled/