Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Presenter breaks down live on air after hearing about football racism. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709408)

RichardCoulter 03-10-2020 19:35

Presenter breaks down live on air after hearing about football racism.

On Thursday's 'Steph's Packed Lunch' presenter Steph McGovern broke down in tears after hearing how former footballer Chris Kamara was subjected to racism in his footballing days because of programmes like 'Love Thy Neighbour' and the character Alf Garnett:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUu-ZuA8PU

Russell Kane had to take over to go to an early break whilst she composed herself.

The only other time i've come across someone breaking down with emotion was after seeing the footage of the Hindenburg disaster where the reporter broke down whilst reporting the tragedy of the airship bursting into flames mid air with people on it, but there must have been other occasions.

Mad Max 03-10-2020 20:27

Re: Presenter breaks down live on air after hearing about football racism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36052538)
On Thursday's 'Steph's Packed Lunch' presenter Steph McGovern broke down in tears after hearing how former footballer Chris Kamara was subjected to racism in his footballing days because of programmes like 'Love Thy Neighbour' and the character Alf Garnett:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUu-ZuA8PU

Russell Kane had to take over to go to an early break whilst she composed herself.

The only other time i've come across someone breaking down with emotion was after seeing the footage of the Hindenburg disaster where the reporter broke down whilst reporting the tragedy of the airship bursting into flames mid air with people on it, but there must have been other occasions.

Brilliant show, brilliant actor too.

Julian 03-10-2020 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36052547)
Brilliant show, brilliant actor too.

Indeed.

Of course kamara has no way of knowing whether any alleged racism was as a result of any tv program.

Kamara became the first English player to be convicted of grievous bodily harm for an on-pitch incident, after breaking Shrewsbury Town player Jim Melrose's cheekbone with a punch straight after the final whistle of a game in the 1987–88 season; he was fined £1,200. Which tv show is he blaming for that? :rolleyes:

And the presenter needs a new career if she can't interview someone without blubbing.

Mad Max 03-10-2020 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36052550)
Indeed.

Of course kamara has no way of knowing whether any alleged racism was as a result of any tv program.

Kamara became the first English player to be convicted of grievous bodily harm for an on-pitch incident, after breaking Shrewsbury Town player Jim Melrose's cheekbone with a punch straight after the final whistle of a game in the 1987–88 season; he was fined £1,200. Which tv show is he blaming for that? :rolleyes:

And the presenter needs a new career if she can't interview someone without blubbing.

Spot on, way too many snowflakes!

Hom3r 03-10-2020 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36052550)
Indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36052551)
Spot on, way too many snowflakes!

I totally disagree. Steph herself has no doubt suffered abuse for being a lesbian and had empathy.

Damien 03-10-2020 21:35

Pretty much all black players - even now - will have examples of them being racially abused from the stands. It's less common in major grounds these days although still happens.

I was at an England game many years ago and two guys behind me were saying under their breath some very racist remarks.

nomadking 03-10-2020 21:50

And white, heterosexual players have never been abused?:rolleyes: Or have they simply had to put up with it.
Howard Gayle, a black ex-Liverpool player, said in a documentary that abuse was given to him by Bayern Munich fans, and his response to it was that it spurred him on.

Damien 03-10-2020 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36052557)
And white, heterosexual players have never been abused?:rolleyes: .

Yes but not for the colour of their skin. If they're abused it's because of the football: they are really good, or they dived in a game, or they got away with a tackle, or they switched team, or they said something in an interview, or they're John Terry.

Either way they don't get abused simply for turning up whereas black players didn't/don't have to do anything other than be black and the abuse will come.

Chris 03-10-2020 22:57

Quote:

And white, heterosexual players have never been abused?:rolleyes: Or have they simply had to put up with it.
Howard Gayle, a black ex-Liverpool player, said in a documentary that abuse was given to him by Bayern Munich fans, and his response to it was that it spurred him on.

The fact Gayle felt spurred on by receiving racist abuse is neither here nor there. To imply that an abuse victim is somehow at fault for not being able to shrug it off or learn from the experience is really ignorant.

peanut 03-10-2020 23:16

She probably was crying because she's got no viewers. I wouldn't call it 'breaks down' she just got a bit emotional. A bit pathetic really.

nomadking 03-10-2020 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36052558)
Yes but not for the colour of their skin. If they're abused it's because of the football: they are really good, or they dived in a game, or they got away with a tackle, or they switched team, or they said something in an interview, or they're John Terry.

Either way they don't get abused simply for turning up whereas black players didn't/don't have to do anything other than be black and the abuse will come.

Actually the abuse I had in mind was for none of those things. Although your list emphasises my point that white players also face abuse.

The abuse is aimed at putting the opposition players off their game. What other purpose would there be?

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36052560)
The fact Gayle felt spurred on by receiving racist abuse is neither here nor there. To imply that an abuse victim is somehow at fault for not being able to shrug it off or learn from the experience is really ignorant.

He rose above the attempts of the opposition fans trying to put him off.

Mad Max 04-10-2020 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36052553)
I totally disagree. Steph herself has no doubt suffered abuse for being a lesbian and had empathy.

Is she, what a shame.

Maggy 04-10-2020 10:05

Quote:

A bit of whataboutism there..

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36052560)

:tu:

Chris 04-10-2020 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36052564)
He rose above the attempts of the opposition fans trying to put him off.

He did, and it’s great that he was able to do so.

It is, however, not a personal failing if another abuse victim is unable to do that. Abuse is the abuser’s fault. The consequences of the abuse are the abuser’s fault. Criticising the victim for not rising above it is called “victim shaming”. Implying that the victim is at fault for feeling crushed by the abuse they have received is ridiculous.

RichardCoulter 04-10-2020 15:25

Absolutely and this has recently happened to Sue Perkins. I don't particularly care for the presenting style of Sue Perkins, but she didn't deserve this:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...attack-london/

Oh how times have changed, I can remember the vile healines that The Sun used to make about LGBT people as far back as when I had to deliver this crap as a paper boy! I also didn't know that she was in a lesbian relationship with the presenter of Naked Attraction.