Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : General TiVo Discussion Part 2 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676466)

Stephen 04-04-2011 13:45

General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Please continue discussion of TiVo here please.

Original Thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-page-408.html

clinteastman 04-04-2011 13:48

Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205818)
The green remind me button is used when advertising a coming show , the Never Miss service is online and you can search series and movies , they then email you the week before with a link to set a remote record up. It's quite extensive a list with stuff way off.

I think what they are asking is can you get it to remind you of all Robert De Nero films or TV programs written by Russell T Davies?

PS. Sky Sports red button is useless to me, not a sports type. ;)

passingbat 04-04-2011 13:51

Quote:

It's quite extensive a list with stuff way off.
Wil it allow you to add titles that are currently shown in the US, but no UK broadcaster currently has the rights to broadcast yet?

muppetman11 04-04-2011 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35205829)
I think what they are asking is can you get it to remind you of all Robert De Nero films or TV programs written by Russell T Davies?

PS. Sky Sports red button is useless to me, not a sports type. ;)

No you can't as of yet here is the never miss service

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sky...mytv/nevermiss

Stuart 04-04-2011 13:54

It's swings and roundabouts. Personally, I don't think the green or red button would be any use to me.

The few times a year I watch Sky Sports, it's generally for a major sporting events and happens in the company of friends at a local pub.

As for the green button, I suppose that might be more useful, but TBH, I have season passes set on most of the series I watch regularly. The odd one off programme, I can either watch it or set it using the guide. OK, so the green button might save a few keypresses, but me finding a program is being shown, not watching and setting it to record is so rare that it really wouldn't save much time at all.

mersey70 04-04-2011 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205831)
Wil it allow you to add titles that are currently shown in the US, but no UK broadcaster currently has the rights to broadcast yet?

Can Tivo?

And why would it want to anyway if you cannot watch them. Genuine question as I cannot really see the point of that.

Unless I have misunderstood you.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205831)

Not sure of the timescale for stuff.

mersey70 04-04-2011 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35205837)
It's swings and roundabouts. Personally, I don't think the green or red button would be any use to me.

The few times a year I watch Sky Sports, it's generally for a major sporting events and happens in the company of friends at a local pub.

As for the green button, I suppose that might be more useful, but TBH, I have season passes set on most of the series I watch regularly. The odd one off programme, I can either watch it or set it using the guide. OK, so the green button might save a few keypresses, but me finding a program is being shown, not watching and setting it to record is so rare that it really wouldn't save much time at all.

Green button is a great feature and something I would guess Tivo could easily implement.

I have set several recordings based on the green button promo that I would probably never have noticed in the guide based on the synopsis. It was the video promo that sold it to me.

Stuart 04-04-2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205838)
Can Tivo?

And why would it want to anyway if you cannot watch them. Genuine question as I cannot really see the point of that.

I suspect it's so he or she can set a reminder on a new series and be notified if it is scheduled over here. With hundreds of channels that could show something, it can be difficult to keep track of who has the rights to which programme.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205842)
Green button is a great feature and something I would guess Tivo could easily implement.

I have set several recordings based on the green button promo that I would probably never have noticed in the guide based on the synopsis.

That's just my point. Personally, assuming I see a programme advertised I want to see, I can look it up on the guide. In fact that is how I usually do things. Anything I record regularly enough, I set a season pass on.

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:02

I don't know about Sky+, but Tivo is way better than V+ for series links. With V+, if a season took a break for a few weeks/months (common with Us shows), you'd probably have to set a new Series link when it returned --- another case of keeping an eye out for when it returns. With Tivo, once a series link is set, that's it and you can set if for new episodes only. I know there have been a few issues with the guide data, but they should get sorted.

Big-Ted 04-04-2011 14:04

Quote:

Can Tivo?

Yes it can.

You can set up a wishlist with any words in it so you can add say the name of an actor or director or a show name like csi and it will record anything which match the criteria.

That way you can make sure you don't miss the new primeval series that are on either watch or itv as first runs.

Useful if you hear about a show that you think could be good but have no idea when it will broadcast here

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35205852)
Yes it can.

You can set up a wishlist with any words in it so you can add say the name of an actor or director or a show name like csi and it will record anything which match the criteria.

That way you can make sure you don't miss the new primeval series that are on either watch or itv as first runs.

Useful if you hear about a show that you think could be good but have no idea when it will broadcast here

Agree TIVO has some good features and this is the main reason Sky are implementing these new services. TiVo is keeping Sky busy , with improving their user experience.

mersey70 04-04-2011 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Ted (Post 35205852)
Yes it can.

I see, I thought he meant if a new show dosen't broadcast here yet it would look for the content online which didn't seem likely. I get it now.

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:17

Quote:

Can Tivo?

The new season of US shows are announced around May time and the US start to broadcast around September/october. We often don't know if a UK broadcaster will pick up the rights, which broadcaster it will be and when they will show it. It's a case of monitoring the online sites as to if and when a US show will be broadcast in the UK.

Take for example, a show like Fringe; when it was first announced a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted to give it a try because it sounded interesting and was part created by JJ Abrams who, amongst other things, created Alias. It was a case of waiting to find out who would pick it up and when they would broadcast it ---- this information wasn't available until a few months after it had been announced.

As I understand it, you would have been able to enter 'Fringe' into the tivo wishlist and when the tivo guide came across a programme called Fringe, it would automatically record it. Tivo 'remembered' several months later, when I would most likely would have forgotten about it.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:22

Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. Mersey may know is it all channels use the green remind me or just Skys own. I agree Passingbat the wishlist would pick the series up when it appeared on the EPG data automatically.

mersey70 04-04-2011 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35205844)
I suspect it's so he or she can set a reminder on a new series and be notified if it is scheduled over here. With hundreds of channels that could show something, it can be difficult to keep track of who has the rights to which programme.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

That's just my point. Personally, assuming I see a programme advertised I want to see, I can look it up on the guide. In fact that is how I usually do things. Anything I record regularly enough, I set a season pass on.

For me I just set a once only record from the green button promo to see if I like the show. If I do I then i'll set a series link, if not I don't bother.

I usually just use the guide myself to set recordings but the green button promos have highlighted quite a few shows that wouldn't have otherwise struck me as something of interest.

It proves the endless promo's do sometimes work!

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205863)
Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. Mersey may know is it all channels use the green remind me or just Skys own. I agree Passingbat the wishlist would pick the series up when it appeared on the EPG data automatically.

No it's not just Sky's channels, I have seen it on a variety of pay channels in fact the networks implement it too including BBC who seem to use it as much as Sky.

I don't know if smaller budget FTA channels like CBS do though.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205864)
For me I just set a once only record from the green button promo to see if I like the show. If I do I then i'll set a series link, if not I don't bother.

I usually just use the guide myself to set recordings but the green button promos have highlighted quite a few shows that wouldn't have otherwise struck me as something of interest.

It proves the endless promo's do sometimes work!

I've found the iPod touch and iPad sky+ app has thrown some ok suggestions up and the new features coming to it of being able to view your planner , use it as a remote and set series links will make it better still. The TIVO boys on here will enjoy these apps when VM release them for their box.

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205863)
Sky would put a show like Fringe on green button weeks before. .

You could add it to Tivo, the same day it was announced at the US Upfronts for the coming new season TV shedule.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205869)
You could add it to Tivo, the same day it was announced at the US Upfronts for the coming new season TV shedule.

So we've no excuses for missing it LOL :D

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205864)

No it's not just Sky's channels, I have seen it on a variety of pay channels in fact the networks implement it too including BBC who seem to use it as much as Sky.

I don't know if smaller budget FTA channels like CBS do though.

By Sky channels, do you mean Sky owned channels or all channels broadcast on Sky TV?

For eaxample, does it list channels like Watch or Universal?

mersey70 04-04-2011 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205869)

I am quite possibly being thick here but what if the shows are never broadcast here, or on channels that are not available?

I think I am probably misunderstanding what people mean which is my big fear with Tivo for an average punter like me.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205874)
By Sky channels, do you mean Sky owned channels or all channels broadcast on Sky TV?

Actually I have seen it on Universal I think for Rookie Blue.

mersey70 04-04-2011 14:38

Quote:

Not just Sky branded channels.

Green Button is implemented as far as I can see on a wide variety of pay channels and definitely not just Sky's. I cannot say for sure if all pay channels implement it though.

The BBC and Channel 4 frequently use it too.

Big-Ted 04-04-2011 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205875)
I am quite possibly being thick here but what if the shows are never broadcast here, or on channels that are not available?

I think I am probably misunderstanding what people mean which is my big fear with Tivo for an average punter like me.

If you put something in the wishlist it will check the EPG dat,a and as soon as available on a subscribed channel will record it.

It is not like series link which is channel specific but for the whole EPG.

clinteastman 04-04-2011 14:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205835)
No you can't as of yet here is the never miss service

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sky...mytv/nevermiss

Attachment 21988
Woops! :D

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205875)

You don't get to see them! :D

What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK. This saves people a lot of time, and prevents them missing programmes they learneed about months ago and may have forgoten about..

Just check out the digital Spy (DS) Cult forum (US TV shows) and the number of threads asking when this or that show starts in the UK or when a current show resumes after the mid-season break.

DS have a Premier list, but it's not often up to date, misses out shows and can't be relied on.

Tivo makes the time spent checking these these threads and Premier lists redundant.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35205882)

You've broke it for us all now LOL :D

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205883)

What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK. This saves people a lot of time, and prevents them missing programmes they learneed about months ago and may have forgoten about..

Just check out the digital Spy (DS) Cult forum (US TV shows) and the number of threads asking when this or that show starts in the UK or when a current show resumes after the mid-season break.

DS have a Premier list, but it's not often up to date, misses out shows and can't be relied on.

Tivo makes the time spent checking these these threads and Premier lists redundant.

I understand them they are a good idea.

passingbat 04-04-2011 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205887)
You've broke it for us all now LOL :D

It's heard all this discussion on how much better Tivo whishlists are and given up in defeat? :D

muppetman11 04-04-2011 15:01

I don't disagree mate TIVOS functions are clever my theory is that its just a bit to techy for the average person , DF seems to think I'm slating TIVO and he's so wrong , the imminent arrival of TIVO is making Sky look at their offering and make improvements which benefits Sky users as well. The market will tell over the coming year and the 500gb box will shake it up , I just don't see that many dumping Sky , but that's just my opinion.

mersey70 04-04-2011 15:02

Quote:

I get you now. The clue is in the name, I am a dope today!

I suppose it could be useful but with the never ending promotion of programmes weeks before they start I am not convinced it's something that the masses crave though.

We'll see.

Hugh 04-04-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205868)
I've found the iPod touch and iPad sky+ app has thrown some ok suggestions up and the new features coming to it of being able to view your planner , use it as a remote and set series links will make it better still. The TIVO boys on here will enjoy these apps when VM release them for their box.

This isn't an app, but it loads quite happily on my smartphone (HTC Desire) - http://tv.virginmedia.com/vtvapp/epg.do

muppetman11 04-04-2011 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35205896)
This isn't an app, but it loads quite happily on my smartphone (HTC Desire) - http://tv.virginmedia.com/vtvapp/epg.do

The apps are better still Hugh a lot more functional , but yes the end result is still the same it sets a remote record up , I'm sure VM TIVO will get these out pretty quick.

passingbat 04-04-2011 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35205894)

I suppose it could be useful but with the never ending promotion of programmes weeks before they start I am not convinced it's something that the masses crave though.

I think 'the masses' would like it; it's a case of how well the functionality is explained to them so that they understand how usefull it is.

I'm not sure how well that will be done though.

mersey70 04-04-2011 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205909)
I think 'the masses' would like it; it's a case of how well the functionality is explained to them so that they understand how usefull it is.

Maybe, I think they need to more than like features like that and rather find them desirable as of course you have to pay for them.

I must admit I am finding a lot of the discussion on it's features confusing though. I would consider myself one of the masses so hopefully it will be explained in a simple and concise way, if that's possible.

clinteastman 04-04-2011 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205898)
The apps are better still Hugh a lot more functional , but yes the end result is still the same it sets a remote record up , I'm sure VM TIVO will get these out pretty quick.

In the mean time can I recommend TV Guide for the iPad, really great. All it needs is to show the channel numbers too and it would be perfect.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 15:45

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35205915)
In the mean time can I recommend TV Guide for the iPad, really great. All it needs is to show the channel numbers too and it would be perfect.

Yeah I've heard that mate.

clinteastman 04-04-2011 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205919)
Yeah I've heard that mate.

Yep great way to bypass slow menus! Free too.

TheDon 04-04-2011 15:56

Still no tivo email for me :(
VM must have forgot about me.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDon (Post 35205924)
Still no tivo email for me :(
VM must have forgot about me.

Are you sure your not TheDean LOL :D

TheDon 04-04-2011 16:13

I think that's the problem, I don't know anyone called Dean so they obviously skipped me.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedon (Post 35205934)
i think that's the problem, i don't know anyone called dean so they obviously skipped me.

lol :d

Gavin-D 04-04-2011 17:06

Not sure if this has been posted or not

Virgin Media Tivo vs Sky HD: which is best for you? Buying Guide: The UK's two biggest Pay TV providers go head to head.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...#ixzz1IZT8CT7V

alwaysabear 04-04-2011 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35205972)
Not sure if this has been posted or not

Virgin Media Tivo vs Sky HD: which is best for you? Buying Guide: The UK's two biggest Pay TV providers go head to head.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...#ixzz1IZT8CT7V

Its a pretty good read and IMO very balanced.

Digital Fanatic 04-04-2011 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35205856)
Agree TIVO has some good features and this is the main reason Sky are implementing these new services. TiVo is keeping Sky busy , with improving their user experience.

Sky has to be careful as TiVo has Patents for a lot of it's features.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35205986)

I'm sure Sky are aware of this DF :D

Digital Fanatic 04-04-2011 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35205909)

VM know they need to "educate" a few customers on the many extra benefits and features of TiVo... the upcoming ad campaign later this year may well have this.

DaBoz 04-04-2011 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinteastman (Post 35205915)

And search EPG function. It's sorely lacking without that. FindMeTv has search EPG, but has other problems, and terrible support.

In short there is no complete TV guide app on iOS, and I really hope the TiVo one hits the spot.

Boz

passingbat 04-04-2011 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35205989)
VM know they need to "educate" a few customers on the many extra benefits and features of TiVo... the upcoming ad campaign later this year may well have this.

What worries me about the promotional team at VM, is that I've read two recent reviews of Tivo (one was What HI-FI) where they described the recording functionality as the same as the V+, i.e. record two and watch a third. If I was sending the Tivo out for Review, I'd make sure these reviewers were aware of one of the massive feature advantages over V+ and Sky in that Tivo records on all three channels. What other Tivo features are the not emphasising?

DaBoz 04-04-2011 17:45

So this "baby TiVo"... What do we know? Same features, smaller drive, out late spring, to be announced on 11 April, possibly £50 to existing customers...

Well, it's enough to put even me off taking the £150 1TB model on launch day knowing something cheaper is coming so soon, and I was dead set on signing up on day 1. Oops.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35206008)
So this "baby TiVo"... What do we know? Same features, smaller drive, out late spring, to be announced on 11 April, possibly £50 to existing customers...

Well, it's enough to put even me off taking the £150 1TB model on launch day knowing something cheaper is coming so soon, and I was dead set on signing up on day 1. Oops.

That will defo arrive sharpish to bring their offerings in line with Sky.

Digital Fanatic 04-04-2011 17:47

Quote:

Depends if you record a lot of HD and need the space I guess... VM will be happy if you choose either TBH... they want everyone on TiVo :)

passingbat 04-04-2011 17:49

Quote:

On the positive side, that's less of an install cue for us 1TB hard disc space junkies. :)

muppetman11 04-04-2011 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35206013)
Depends if you record a lot of HD and need the space I guess... VM will be happy if you choose either TBH... they want everyone on TiVo :)

Will the record time with mpeg 2 on 500gb be around 60 hrs HD around half the TIVO 1 TB ?

DaBoz 04-04-2011 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206019)
On the positive side, that's less of an install que for us 1TB hard disc space junkies. :)

It's knowing I'm being ripped off for the cost of a HDD. I'd happily have 500mb more space, but paying £100 more!?! Thats almost as much a rip off as Sky's.

Of coure, speculation at mo... Will wait for announcement

Digital Fanatic 04-04-2011 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206019)
On the positive side, that's less of an install que for us 1TB hard disc space junkies. :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/12/34.gif

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35206024)
It's knowing I'm being ripped off for the cost of a HDD. I'd happily have 500mb more space, but paying £100 more!?! Thats almost as much a rip off as Sky's.

Of coure, speculation at mo... Will wait for announcement

Good idea... I'll advise the bosses to up the price of the Baby TiVo* ;)

* this is not it's name, I made that bit up ;)

DaBoz 04-04-2011 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35206025)
Good idea... I'll advise the bosses to up the price of the Baby TiVo*
* this is not it's name, I made that bit up ;)

I can see Media Boy blog's headline "Cable Forum's Digital Fanatic announces new Virgin Media Baby TiVo for not much less than the standard TiVo"...

Digital Fanatic 04-04-2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35206031)
I can see Media Boy blog's headline "Cable Forum's Digital Fanatic announces new Virgin Media Baby TiVo for not much less than the standard TiVo"...

:D

passingbat 04-04-2011 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35206024)

That was my reaction when the rumours of the price first circualted; I couldn't understand the price differential based on the actual cost of the drives. But then I had to face the fact that the increased charge for the 1TB is an 'extra functionality' charge.

As you say, Sky do it, as the normal HD drive cost is way lower than the 1TB one.

spiderplant 04-04-2011 18:09

Quote:

What whishlists do, is search on your behalf for programmes you want to watch that may or may not be broadcast in the UK.

Or search for programmes you aren't aware of at all. For example, I have wishlists set up for bands I like. I don't need to know the names of the programmes - it records them anyway.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35206013)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35206043)
Or search for programmes you aren't aware of at all. For example, I have wishlists set up for bands I like. I don't need to know the names of the programmes - it records them anyway.

Hope it's not Westlife and Bros LOL :D

passingbat 04-04-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35206046)
Hope it's not Westlife and Bros LOL :D

If you had Tivo, you'd be able to add (now) any of these pilots you think may be good and get to see any that get picked up and make it to a UK channel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/tub...he-pilots.html

a Boston Leagal take on Wonder Woman has to be worth at least a one episode watch! :D

Strangerstill 04-04-2011 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206006)
What worries me about the promotional team at VM, is that I've read two recent reviews of Tivo (one was What HI-FI) where they described the recording functionality as the same as the V+, i.e. record two and watch a third. If I was sending the Tivo out for Review, I'd make sure these reviewers were aware of one of the massive feature advantages over V+ and Sky in that Tivo records on all three channels. What other Tivo features are the not emphasising?

I posted on that review/blog that TiVo would record on 3 channels while watching a previous recording, but you are right, VM should jump on these mistakes, WHF are not the only review sight with incorrect information on important features.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206068)
If you had Tivo, you'd be able to add (now) any of these pilots you think may be good and get to see any that get picked up and make it to a UK channel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/tub...he-pilots.html

a Boston Leagal take on Wonder Woman has to be worth at least a one episode watch! :D

I'll have to wait until a few weeks before and press my green button , the Alcatraz one is in the never miss database.

passingbat 04-04-2011 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35206075)
the Alcatraz one is in the never miss database.

That's interesting. Maybe it's had an early pickup since that list was done and Sky have bought the rights? Or is it a different Alcatraz?

muppetman11 04-04-2011 19:02

When a group of missing Alcatraz prisoners turn up in the present day it is left to the FBI and a female police officer to track them down and solve the mystery surrounding their dissapearance 30 years ago. Produced by JJ Abrams, this spooky series sports an impressive all-star cast and crew.

It says coming 2011/12 you can add to be reminded may just do that so thanks.

passingbat 04-04-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35206082)
When a group of missing Alcatraz prisoners turn up in the present day it is left to the FBI and a female police officer to track them down and solve the mystery surrounding their dissapearance 30 years ago. Produced by JJ Abrams, this spooky series sports an impressive all-star cast and crew.

It says coming 2011/12 you can add to be reminded may just do that so thanks.

Well done Sky.

devilincarnate 04-04-2011 19:08

I do not hope that it is meant to be true to life as only no-one has escaped and lived to say?

http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/escapes1.htm

But who knows?

Peter_ 04-04-2011 19:10

I could have sworn that the was a topic about TiVo somewhere in here but it appears to be a coming soon thread.:rolleyes:

devilincarnate 04-04-2011 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35206087)
I could have sworn that the was a topic about TiVo somewhere in here but it appears to be a coming soon thread.:rolleyes:

Sorry I apologise:(

Peter_ 04-04-2011 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35206091)
Sorry I apologise:(

I think the mods would have noticed sooner or later.:D

devilincarnate 04-04-2011 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35206092)
I think the mods would have noticed sooner or later.:D

I do not want to get in trouble again as i have been in trouble on another forum recently :erm:

fixerman 04-04-2011 19:19

Quote:

This thread has lost it's way totally! It should not have been given a new lease of life. In the absence of anything new people are going over old ground again and again.

passingbat 04-04-2011 19:20

Quote:

It is about tivo; it's about the wishlist functionality using real world examples of what the wishlist functionality will do.

We're highlighting functionality as the VM PR department sometimes don't seem to (see the post No. 48 on the What HIFI review).

Peter_ 04-04-2011 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206099)
It is about tivo; it's about the wishlist functionality using real world examples of what the wishlist functionality will do.

We're highlighting functionality as the VM PR department sometimes don't seem to (see the post on the What HIFI review).

Yes but it could easily be in another thread such as functionality rather discussing a series link.

passingbat 04-04-2011 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35206101)
Yes but it could easily be in another thread such as functionality rather discussing a series link.

The functionality is tivo functionality; I would have thought it belongs in the tivo thread.

We weren't discussing a series link; you can't add a show that doesn't exist to a series link. But you can (and this is a major Tivo feature and the point being made) add it to a wishlist.

Hugh 04-04-2011 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35206099)

We're highlighting functionality as the VM PR department sometimes don't seem to (see the post No. 48 on the What HIFI review).

Remember, if it's in a magazine, it will have been written over a month ago (probably).....

passingbat 04-04-2011 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35206106)
Remember, if it's in a magazine, it will have been written over a month ago (probably).....

I was reading from the updated review on the website, after they'd just got their Tivo on the 30th March.

Hugh 04-04-2011 19:36

OK - thanks for clarification.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 19:39

I do agree VM really need to make sure they get all the features correct when dealing with the press , but I'm sure they will.

Joedm45 04-04-2011 19:39

Anyone with TiVo noticed that the EPG goes back more than the advertised 7 days?

Mine goes back to install date although I assume the catch up service would not work.

The tech who installed it mentioned that his TiVo EPG went back 5 months as he had his on trial very early on.

devilincarnate 04-04-2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35206114)
Anyone with TiVo noticed that the EPG goes back more than the advertised 7 days?

Mine goes back to install date although I assume the catch up service would not work.

The tech who installed it mentioned that his TiVo EPG went back 5 months as he had his on trial very early on.

Been back a fair while, longer than I have had it installed and been forward to next year ( although it said TBA )

muppetman11 04-04-2011 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35206117)
Been back a fair while, longer than I have had it installed and been forward to next year ( although it said TBA )

It's the DeLorean of set top boxes LOL :D

devilincarnate 04-04-2011 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35206134)
It's the DeLorean of set top boxes LOL :D

I would say that it is a DeLorean breed with a Buggati Veyron :D:D:D:D

HDFootyMan 04-04-2011 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35205986)

Do those apply in the UK?

I thought they were for USA only.

muppetman11 04-04-2011 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35206143)

I thought they were for USA only.

I would imagine Sky check these things out first , they've not got were they are by being bad in business.

spiderplant 04-04-2011 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35206143)

https://register.epo.org/espacenet/s...art&query=tivo

muppetman11 04-04-2011 21:08

All irrelevant so long as your not breaking them.

ntl.wotcha 04-04-2011 21:09

Found another EPG data issue tonight. "How do they do it" Channel 5/5HD @ 19.30.

It had a correct episode description in the Guide/Info, but when you "explore this show" all the meta data is missing. My series link failed to pick it up. No recording hiccup or anything. It's just not associated with the series at all. The previous monday's episode was fine, as is next Mondays.

Strange eh ?

Doz007 04-04-2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntl.wotcha (Post 35206165)
Found another EPG data issue tonight. "How do they do it" Channel 5/5HD @ 19.30.

It had a correct episode description in the Guide/Info, but when you "explore this show" all the meta data is missing. My series link failed to pick it up. No recording hiccup or anything. It's just not associated with the series at all. The previous monday's episode was fine, as is next Mondays.

Strange eh ?

Surely this cannot be hard to get right for a company like TiVo with 12 years EPG experience? Eliminating these discrepancies should be their number one priority in my opinion. :(

Blizzard 04-04-2011 21:29

So quick recap to make sure I'm getting this all right:
  • TiVo launches 11th April for existing customers.
  • Low-end model (500 GB?) to be announced on the 11th as well.
  • This Mini TiVo should cost around £89 - £99 for existing customers with install included.
  • Functionality to be identical in all other respects.
  • 500 GBs would be I'm guessing about 70 hours HD recording?

Right?

LexDiamond 04-04-2011 21:30

There was an article in the Evening Standard re Tivo. It was in the business section so not really about functionality and features as such.

It was interesting as it spoke about the capabilities of targeting specific demographics through advertising. I think eventually VM will look at getting the Tivo out to all its customers at much lower prices so that it can maximise its ad revenue.

Also they spoke about the internet connectivity and how getting a year on Youview will probably be a huge advantage.

Skie 04-04-2011 22:01

They have mumbled a few times about rolling out general tivo software to everyone* and we know the Liberate contract is expiring pretty soon (Liberate is the molasses-like software running on non-Tivo boxes currently).

One of the existing boxes running the Liberarte platform can handle the Tivo software, so that is one way for them to migrate people to that software platform without having to give out the premium kit.

*Virgins definition of everyone tends to be nearly most people sometimes perhaps maybe half and a quarter.

cwj2008 04-04-2011 22:20

Firstly sorry if this post is in the wrong section, 2 quick question re tvio

1 do virgin use numbers the show unavaible when the call( had them showing withheld)

2 have the 2 competitions finshed and are virgin still making calls re tvio ,
or is just via emails.

Just asking as just had a call saying i had won a competition. put phone down as i knew i had not enter one . and then i realised about the tvio comps , hope it was not virgin, i have now missed my
chance if the comps are still going

DaBoz 04-04-2011 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 35206095)
This thread has lost it's way totally! It should not have been given a new lease of life. In the absence of anything new people are going over old ground again and again.

A good point, let's discuss

savvychels 04-04-2011 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwj2008 (Post 35206239)
Firstly sorry if this post is in the wrong section, 2 quick question re tvio

1 do virgin use numbers the show unavaible when the call( had them showing withheld)

2 have the 2 competitions finshed and are virgin still making calls re tvio ,
or is just via emails.

Just asking as just had a call saying i had won a competition. put phone down as i knew i had not enter one . and then i realised about the tvio comps , hope it was not virgin, i have now missed my
chance if the comps are still going

Tivo comps been done for a while. Would have heard by 20th March.

DaBoz 04-04-2011 23:20

Quote:

Surprise surprise
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2011/...o-cheaper.html

cwj2008 04-04-2011 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvychels (Post 35206273)
Tivo comps been done for a while. Would have heard by 20th March.

thanks a lot for the info , i only asked on here because there is a fault in my area, and to save ring 150 . many thanks again, any sorry to the any who thinks i am going over old ground

Media Boy UK 05-04-2011 00:50

Quote:

I do not deal with TiVo storys on my Blog unless my insiders has given me info.

Try the following blog for info on TiVo:

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/
http://vmhd.blogspot.com/

denphone 05-04-2011 05:31

Quote:

They do not seem to have the cleverest marketing team at

---------- Post added at 05:31 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Quote:

They do not seem to have the best marketing team at Virgin as we have seen with the Tivo pre-reg fiasco.

Digital Fanatic 05-04-2011 08:29

ok, quick update guys.....

some of you will get an email to book online and some will be directed to a special pre-sales orderline, this is because some of you have complicated billing arrangements! :)

Install is free in April, so you are getting that knocked off.

VIP's (50 & 100 only)are getting the TiVo monthly charge waived. It will appear on the bill, but you will get a bigger discount to cover.

now stop moaning!!!!! :cool: :D

There is also more deals around additonal outlets, but you'll need to speak to sales or see this in the ordering process online :)