Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   June 8th General Election (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704776)

Damien 19-04-2017 12:11

Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35895445)
I didn't think that needed saying TBH. Some folks vote nothing else you know. ;)

PapaSmurf commented on the level of support, not the existence of it. I simply provided what I think is the reason for the level of that support, not all of it. Since they're the only pro EU option open to most people in the UK I'd stand by that opinion.

Fair enough. Although I think we've always had a disproportionate level of support for the Conservatives, UKIP and Lib Dems on here than the country at large.

1andrew1 19-04-2017 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35895446)
Fair enough. Although I think we've always had a disproportionate level of support for the Conservatives, UKIP and Lib Dems on here than the country at large.

I think you're right. This is not a representative sample of the UK. For one, that would need to be about 2,000 people and another, it only polls people with internet access who are interested in cable tv or similar.

Julian 19-04-2017 12:50

George Osborne quits.

What apity, what a shame :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39643347

RizzyKing 19-04-2017 12:56

Hope the door hits his backside on his way out totally repulsive individual who will live a life of comfort that he doesn't deserve.

denphone 19-04-2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35895454)
Hope the door hits his backside on his way out totally repulsive individual who will live a life of comfort that he doesn't deserve.

One comment sticks out like a sore thumb and that was his comment of "We are all in this together" which as we know we are not...

Hugh 19-04-2017 13:03

Speaking of the rich, John McDonnell appears to have redefined the word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39640804
Quote:

People earning above £70,000 a year could be asked to pay more tax under a Labour government, shadow chancellor John McDonnell has suggested.

He said he wanted to see a "fair taxation system" with corporations and the rich paying more...

..."The rich will be above £70,000 to £80,000 a year - and that's roughly defined as what people feel is an earning whereby people feel they can pay more."
I'm not sure if £70-80k is "rich" - comfortable, perhaps, but not rich.

I wonder who the "people" are that feel this?

ymmv

1andrew1 19-04-2017 13:07

How will George Osborne survive without an MP's salary and only three other jobs to support him? It's obviously for the better if he's to edit a newspaper.

The other sub-plots include will Nigel Farage, Paul Nuttall or Aaron Banks win a seat? Will Vince Cable return? Will any more Labour moderates follow Alan Johnson and Tom Blenkinsop and resign rather than face more time in opposition?

Damien 19-04-2017 13:11

Aaron Banks is going to stand against Carswell as part of this bizarre vendetta he and Farage over the knighthood.

Ramrod 19-04-2017 13:17

For all those who think that voting labour is a good idea atm: Britain under Corbyn? Just look at Venezuela
Quote:

Corbyn has yet to acknowledge the terrible suffering that Chavez’s ‘social justice’ has inflicted upon his people......Corbyn’s ability to turn a blind eye has been astounding. He must have known, because everybody did, that Chavez allowed left-wing paramilitary groups to terrorise the middle class. He must have seen that after Chavez forcefully nationalised industries their productivity duly crashed.

Yet he is still not prepared to condemn a regime which has presided over an economic disaster that hurts the poor the most. Maduro has turned out to be an economic incompetent of the highest order. Last year imports collapsed by more than 50 per cent and the economy nosedived by 19 per cent. The budget deficit is around 20 per cent of GDP. The minimum wage is now the equivalent of £25 a month. After a Central Bank estimate that suggested that the Venezuelan economy had contracted by 19 per cent last year was leaked to the press, Maduro fired the bank’s president and replaced him with a Marxist loyalist.
......What we can say is that Corbyn has stood by the disastrous hard-left ideology that he has always espoused. So anybody who wants to know what Britain might be like under Corbyn would do well to study the recent history of Venezuela.

denphone 19-04-2017 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35895456)
Speaking of the rich, John McDonnell appears to have redefined the word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39640804

I'm not sure if £70-80k is "rich" - comfortable, perhaps, but not rich.

I wonder who the "people" are that fell this?

ymmv

Yes comfortable perhaps as you say but even then if one was to work out much one has to pay out over a period of a month its surprising how much has to be paid out in bills and everything else plus the income tax on that amount to start with.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895457)
How will George Osborne survive without an MP's salary and only three other jobs to support him? It's obviously for the better if he's to edit a newspaper.

The other sub-plots include will Nigel Farage, Paul Nuttall or Aaron Banks win a seat? Will Vince Cable return? Will any more Labour moderates follow Alan Johnson and Tom Blenkinsop and resign rather than face more time in opposition?

While having my dinner many questions popped into my mind and they are

How many will vote Conservative because of the Brexit issue?

How many remainer's will vote for others parties who are not supportive of Brexit?.

How many will vote for UKIP now at the election or are they finished?

How many who did not vote at the last election will decide to get off their butts and vote now?

Will the Labour vote collapse because of their poor leader?

How will they vote in Scotland?

How much tactical voting will there be?

And l am sure they are many more questions that need to be answered as well Andrew.

papa smurf 19-04-2017 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895460)
Yes comfortable perhaps as you say but even then if one was to work out much one has to pay out over a period of a month its surprising how much has to be paid out in bills and everything else plus the income tax on that amount to start with.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

While having my dinner many questions popped into my mind and they are

How many remainer's will vote for others parties who are not supportive of Brexit?.

How many will vote for UKIP now at the election or are they finished?

How many who did not vote at the last election will decide to get off their butts and vote now?

Will the Labour vote collapse because of their poor leader?

How will they vote in Scotland?

How much tactical voting will there be?

And l am sure they are many more questions that need to be answered as well Andrew.

what did you have for dinner ?

denphone 19-04-2017 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35895464)
what did you have for dinner ?

Greek Moussaka.:)

passingbat 19-04-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895460)

At least one :)

dilli-theclaw 19-04-2017 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35895426)
i just did this for fun and it says democratic unionist then ukip

DU never never never

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

i just had a go and it says labour, but in all honesty I don't know as I don't trust any of them.

Mick 19-04-2017 14:24

Would appear SNP will be voting against a Snap General Election and they are accusing the PM, running scared for not wanting to participate in a TV debate.

And they broke with house traditions again and collectively clapped their deputy leader, Angus Robertson, when he had finished speaking.

The SNP are a bunch of halfwits the lot of them.