Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704666)

Richupton 27-03-2017 11:06

Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

Hello there

Having just moved house and acquired the new TV V6 box I have just learned that I cannot Record directly onto my DVD recorder.

Is there any way around this at all via the use of DVD / Scart splitters ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Richard

BenMcr 27-03-2017 11:15

Re: Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

The only way to do it is to use a HDMI Splitter and a HDMI > SCART converter, but your mileage may vary.

Some people have got it working well and then others haven't been able to get a decent picture.

Also most of these don't support HDCP 2.2 so introducing this into a 4K setup may cause issues.

Richupton 27-03-2017 11:23

Many thanks for your quick reply and help with this

Mobes 27-03-2017 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35891882)
The only way to do it is to use a HDMI Splitter and a HDMI > SCART converter, but your mileage may vary.

Some people have got it working well and then others haven't been able to get a decent picture.

Also most of these don't support HDCP 2.2 so introducing this into a 4K setup may cause issues.

Sadly I'm one of those who converters haven't worked for. I've tried 2 different HDMI to SCART converters on 2 different HDD/DVD recorders and the picture is awful!

So any help you could give Ben would be gratefully received.

BenMcr 27-03-2017 11:43

Unfortunately, I have no direct experience of them, so I haven't got any recommendations above the types of converts required.

Mobes 27-03-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35891888)
Unfortunately, I have no direct experience of them, so I haven't got any recommendations above the types of converts required.

No worries thanks anyway :)

Richupton 27-03-2017 12:21

This is the type of kit I presume that you would need, in theory (i.e. the two items highlighted half down the page as Frequently Bought Together)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-H...vw_txt?ie=UTF8

heero_yuy 27-03-2017 13:36

Remember that SCART can carry the video signal in two different ways: either as RGB component or as composite (PAL) video. The first will give much better results.

It may be that those who have experienced poor picture are running in composite mode?

Mobes 27-03-2017 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35891899)
Remember that SCART can carry the video signal in two different ways: either as RGB component or as composite (PAL) video. The first will give much better results.

It may be that those who have experienced poor picture are running in composite mode?

I did think of that and changed between composite and RGB on my DVD/HDD recorder and it made no difference.

Can you change this on the TIVO? or V6?

I can't help but think I've missed something really simple :(

I only want to record n keep tennis matches hence the reason i need to convert to SCART IN on my dvd/hdd player.

heero_yuy 27-03-2017 14:48

It's the source end that needs to be set correctly, in this case it's the HDMI to SCART convertor that needs to output RGB. AFAIK the receiving end, in your case the DVD recorder, automatically picks up the correct way to interperet the signals if it supports it.

That's the way my Philips matchline TV used to work, the RGB mode was set in the STB and the TV automatically used it. Made a significant improvement of the picture quality.

The SCART connector has a data channel where I think the information is sent.

Mobes 27-03-2017 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35891914)
It's the source end that needs to be set correctly, in this case it's the HDMI to SCART convertor that needs to output RGB. AFAIK the receiving end, in your case the DVD recorder, automatically picks up the correct way to interperet the signals if it supports it.

That's the way my Philips matchline TV used to work, the RGB mode was set in the STB and the TV automatically used it. Made a significant improvement of the picture quality.

The SCART connector has a data channel where I think the information is sent.

Thanks for all this :)

So you're saying I need to make sure the HDMI - SCART converter, outputs
RGB?!

heero_yuy 27-03-2017 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35891916)
Thanks for all this :)

So you're saying I need to make sure the HDMI - SCART converter, outputs
RGB?!

For the best quality, yes. I've not looked at those on offer to see how they are configured. You may need to scrutinise the small print.

Richupton 27-03-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richupton (Post 35891891)
This is the type of kit I presume that you would need, in theory (i.e. the two items highlighted half down the page as Frequently Bought Together)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-H...vw_txt?ie=UTF8

So would the two items highlighted in the link be what I would require in order to potentially make this connection?

BenMcr 27-03-2017 15:28

Yes, but be aware that the HDMI to SCART converter is composite only i.e. low picture quality.

It will not be as good as most direct SCART to SCART connections as these will tend to be RBG.

Richupton 27-03-2017 15:37

Thank you and I presume that there is nothing that I can do about the picture due to the situation we are in here with the new V6 Tivo.

Just so that I can see this in my minds eye, are you able to briefly outline what goes where in terms of connecting this up?