Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Application Throttling/Management (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33634787)

TraxData 20-06-2008 23:13

Application Throttling/Management

Ok,

As a certain someone has nagged me about this...and others wanting to know where the future holds for VM as far as this goes.

As i have mentioned a few weeks or so back VM have been trialling application throttling/management in lab 3 (for those interested, this is just a name to represent the area where the trial is going on, not an actual lab)

Currently through the trial Usenet ports (including SSL) are throttled (reducing speeds down to 512k)

This, is, as far as one is aware going to be used for both in and out of peak hours for whoever they see "fit" as a heavy user.

I'm sure some of you noticed "Allot" was mentioned in another thread on here and i've had a few people asking me what this is.

It's currently what VM are using to trial application/throttling/management and is to be deployed across the VM network fully sometime either third quarter 2008 or first quarter 2009, the dates are unknown/rough ideas right now as things are being kept quiet over @ VM headquarters.

Now before any of you shout at me or anything i wasnt going to release this information until *certain people within VM* thought it would be amusing to try and release information about me on certain sites, and no this is not revenge on them, but i have had a few people asking me to release this information.

Anyway...you can view more about Allot over at http://www.allot.com/index.php?optio...&id=2&Itemid=4

I would note there is ALSO a seperate trial going on while controls ports speciifcally for games (Wow etc) which affect the pings for said games.

I will add more information to this thread over the coming weeks (i have ALOT going on right now, so dont moan about lack of info just yet)

Just to add, this will be a part of their FUP and completely seperate to STM.

Angry@VMedia 20-06-2008 23:22

Re: Application Throttling/Management

God with all this crap that VM & alex BROWN are doing, will they have ANY customers at all by the end of this year / begining of next??

If I find out they are throttling ANY port or application on my "unlimited" broadband, I will tell them exactly WHAT i think of them and the way they are screwing customers, and tell them quite plainly and clearly to stick their rubbish (I'm sure everyone knows the word that would come next) and cancel straight away, and if they dare to chagre, i'll take them to the small claims court!

THEY(vm) are in my eyes the criminals here, ripping people off, stealing back most of what is been sold, then there is the blatant lies, treating its customers like dog chod etc...

Looks like I just like many here will soon be an ex-virgin media customer!!!

peanut 20-06-2008 23:26

When this does happen then it'll be the end of VM broadband as a whole. There's not a lot else you can say really.

whydoIneedatech 20-06-2008 23:31

The main problem is that Virgin are the only player in the cable market as everything else is via the BT phonelines, and it is only a relative few people who come on these forums out of over 3.5 million Virgin customers, so the answer is that regardless how much you personally will Virgin to fail, I cannot see that many people going elsewhere for their services as the vast majority are satisfied with their services.

Ignitionnet 20-06-2008 23:31

This thread has the potential to be quite impressively large...

Quote:

Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech (Post 34580523)
The main problem is that Virgin are the only player in the cable market as everything else is via the BT phonelines, and it is only a relative few people who come on these forums out of over 3.5 million Virgin customers, so the answer is that regardless how much you personally will Virgin to fail, I cannot see that many people going elsewhere for their services as the vast majority are satisfied with their services.

Have you been taking PR lessons from the news groups? ;) This is being tested, and no they wouldn't tell tech support about it.

Not about wishing Virgin or anyone else to fail the man is simply stating the facts as they stand right now. If you object to your customers being told what's presently on the drawing board for their services that's your prerogative.

zing_deleted 20-06-2008 23:31

Yeah I will be off to the land of crappy adsl as even the 4/5 meg I can get off them is better than 512

peanut 20-06-2008 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech (Post 34580523)

I'm happy with my phone and TV service from VM, but if I can't use the main service I pay top whack for then I'll gladly cancel the lot and go back to BT or whoever. Do you think people will still pay £37 a month for something they can't use?

Still, there'll always mugs who'll say "well done virgin, my emails come through so much quicker now, that's well worth £37".

zing_deleted 20-06-2008 23:41

The BT Total or whatever looks quite tempting at the moment will even take my mobile from o2 as they supply a HTC pocket pc phone for £30 quid a month inclusive of voip package internet and home hub add the 30 quid a month call package in dump vm phone and tv and ill have slower net but actually save a few quid

whydoIneedatech 20-06-2008 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34580524)
This thread has the potential to be quite impressively large...

Have you been taking PR lessons from the news groups? ;) This is being tested, and no they wouldn't tell tech support about it.

Not about wishing Virgin or anyone else to fail the man is simply stating the facts as they stand right now. If you object to your customers being told what's presently on the drawing board for their services that's your prerogative.

No just stating the facts that we the people who post on here are in the minority and the average person who has services from Virgin are unaware that these forums even exist, if its not MSN or Facebook they do not care but we do in different ways thats why we are here, I expect you will agree on that point.

zing_deleted 20-06-2008 23:44

But this information will goto press.

There is no defending VM anymore they are screwing their customers over. Ok you can argue Usenet is piracy but even considering throttling gaming ports is just wrong wrong wrong. VM are standing toe to toe to us customers smacking us in the mouth over and over trying to push us as far as they can and so far we are not hitting back

Ignitionnet 20-06-2008 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech (Post 34580533)
No just stating the facts that we the people who post on here are in the minority and the average person who has services from Virgin are unaware that these forums even exist, if its not MSN or Facebook they do not care but we do in different ways thats why we are here, I expect you will agree on that point.

Sure, but I've no idea what the relevance is to testing / planned rollout of application throttling / management so let's discuss that :)

whydoIneedatech 20-06-2008 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34580535)
Sure, but I've no idea what the relevance is to testing / planned rollout of application throttling / management so let's discuss that :)

I cannot wait to see this thread grow as it should, because what you mention above is going to get worse as the rollout of 50Mb gets closer and we once again get stitched up even further.

xspeedyx 20-06-2008 23:57

OMFG i have had it with VM do they wanna exsit as a company if they do STOP THE STUPID IDEAS to screw customers over

Uncle Peter 21-06-2008 01:35

If there are concrete plans to introduce this then I would hope that VM are seriously considering updating their pricing. £38 to be dicated to as to what type of traffic you are allowed to download at 20Mbit/sec is wholly unacceptable. We shall see.

Nemeth 21-06-2008 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34580534)
Ok you can argue Usenet is piracy but even considering throttling gaming ports is just wrong wrong wrong.

He didn't say throttling. Sounds more like QoS type rules to prioritise certain gaming traffic and improve pings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34580605)
If there are concrete plans to introduce this then I would hope that VM are seriously considering updating their pricing. £38 to be dicated to as to what type of traffic you are allowed to download at 20Mbit/sec is wholly unacceptable. We shall see.

Agree. As part of a Sky type package, £10pm or even free I can understand draconian measures like this. But to charge broadband-only customers £38pm for this is disgusting.

Uncle Peter 21-06-2008 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemeth (Post 34580606)
He didn't say throttling. Sounds more like QoS type rules to prioritise certain gaming traffic and improve pings.

No, it's a tool for increasing revenue at your expense. You can't just give something to someone then take it away and expect them to pay the same price.

Angry@VMedia 21-06-2008 01:50

To be quite honnest, these days the internet is just getting more and more full with useless garbage, there are more self-obsessed idiots than ever before, the amount of spam has grown to an unbelievable amount, more profile sites than I can count on 2 hands, too many pricks either conning / offering pointless crap, and then there is phorm....

My online MSN contacts are practically nill (god I remember the good old days when i'd have 6 or 7 chats going at once, not even a second to breath myself) as they have ditched their internet, and to be quite honest, I would not miss it at all, so if virgin DO make this live, i will tell them to stick it and go without!
I could probably do with spending more time with family, and with a library just 10mins away from me offering free wifi, I could use a laptop to download what I want/need and screw the lot of the other rubbish out there!

Really, I think i am out-growing the internet, years ago it was really exciting, now its quite boring and not half as much fun as ot used to be!

Bye bye virgin, you can shove your "services" that you screw us PAYING customers with and i hope you sink faster than the titanic!!!

Toto 21-06-2008 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry@VMedia (Post 34580521)
God with all this crap that VM & alex BROWN are doing, will they have ANY customers at all by the end of this year / begining of next??

If I find out they are throttling ANY port or application on my "unlimited" broadband, I will tell them exactly WHAT i think of them and the way they are screwing customers, and tell them quite plainly and clearly to stick their rubbish (I'm sure everyone knows the word that would come next) and cancel straight away, and if they dare to chagre, i'll take them to the small claims court!

THEY(vm) are in my eyes the criminals here, ripping people off, stealing back most of what is been sold, then there is the blatant lies, treating its customers like dog chod etc...

Looks like I just like many here will soon be an ex-virgin media customer!!!

I think you are over reacting to Traxs' news.

The Allot system is essentially designed to maximise traffic throughput on certain protocols, prioritising certain types of traffic over others.

Essentially it tries to give an even playing field to all users.

As Trax mentioned for example it could help ping times for certain online gaming such as World of Warcraft, or give priority to other data types at different times.

Lets be upfront here, most people think that VM's problems are down to lack of capacity, the pipe. They think that if you increase the flow, or enlarge the pipe - everything will be ticketyboo. WRONG.

It's simple, if people are taking more than they reasonably should, you should not give them a wider door to go through, no sir. You controll the flow, making it fairer for the majority, that is what the Allot DPI system provides. It gives VM mission critical data to help them manage peoples expectations of traffic flow. This is ultimately what people want, the ability to turn on their PC, do what they have to do then get off.

Virgin Media are not criminals just because you're not happy, they have to manage a massively complicated network with a burgening demand from its customers and all the various content out there.

Trust me when I say this, the problem is global. The bigger the ISP, the bigger the problem. Traffic management isn't a nice to have, its a must have and the quicker we accept this the better.

Can I suggest something though? Leave, leave now.....you're not happy, and this system has been in place for months, possibly a couple of years but VM have never used it, its going to happen, so cut your losses and head off to ADSL land. Be Unlimited seem to offer good packages, and there are other ADSL providers who will provide a premium service for a premium price, that is give you priority traffic at peak times if you pay more - oh wait - that wouldn't be fair in your eyes, sorry.

Sirius 21-06-2008 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34580625)

Can I suggest something though? Leave, leave now....

Hopefully they will do as you say by the bucket load

But remember everyone that does leave Pick a none Phorm ISP when you do leave

HSp8 21-06-2008 07:38

I can just about put up with STM - I have a pretty solid service

but if my newsgroup activity starts being affected as stated in the OP, then I'll be off like a shot.

It'll be a shame, but certainly won't miss the tv - I'll be more than happy with Freeview, and hopefully, get an OK speed with ADSL

I think this will hit VM hard - certainly only a tiny fraction of VM users frequent this forum, but I'd bet the majority of 20Mb users out there aren't just browsing/checking e-mails and do actually know what they should be expecting

people are a lot more savvy these days

zing_deleted 21-06-2008 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemeth (Post 34580606)

Agree. As part of a Sky type package, £10pm or even free I can understand draconian measures like this. But to charge broadband-only customers £38pm for this is disgusting.

he didnt say it wont be throttled either

duffman 21-06-2008 08:55

This is disappointing to read. I always thought VM were good value for money in the past for what i got and used. Then STM came in but i stayed out of the problem hours and survived ok. Then STM hours were increased to most of the day (and lets face it the night is just round the corner) and that has made me think about moving. Now i see this and think my time with VM is definatly up as i feel i am going to be paying way over the odds for a service that ADSL can supply just as well for my needs.

Goodbye VM, hello BE*

jamiefrost 21-06-2008 09:21

Is this does come into effect I will probably be going, at the moment we have VIP package, that will be reduced to TV only (can't get SKY) and maybe keep the V+ box.

As far as broadband goes they can forget it, I can just about live with STM but this will be taking it to far.

Unless of course they advertise it as what it will be, a restricted broadband service (but thats a whole other discussion) and price is accordingly.

JJ

Nemeth 21-06-2008 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34580664)
he didnt say it wont be throttled either

To be fair I'm reading the info in that Allot link, not simply what Trax said.

Quote:

To ensure high-quality performance of delay-sensitive applications, Allot solutions classify traffic through Layer 7, monitor network activity...
Ie. prioritising delay-sensitive traffic, which in the case of a consumer ISP is likely to be gaming-related traffic.

And anyway what's the point of throttling traffic that uses a relatively small amount of bandwidth? We're talking bandwidth usage for most games, WoW included, in the single-figures of Kbps.

TraxData 21-06-2008 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemeth (Post 34580676)
To be fair I'm reading the info in that Allot link, not simply what Trax said.

Ie. prioritising delay-sensitive traffic, which in the case of a consumer ISP is likely to be gaming-related traffic.

And anyway what's the point of throttling traffic that uses a relatively small amount of bandwidth? We're talking bandwidth usage for most games, WoW included, in the single-figures of Kbps.

I will just clarify something here.

VM are using this to throttle p2p and usenet for people they class as "heavy" users.

As i said this is in and out of peak hours and in their FUP completely seperate to STM.

And the reason for throttling games is quite simple, the uplink on *some* games affects the network in oversubscribed areas.

AmAtoL 21-06-2008 14:42

I am pretty patient with VM generally, and I can see where they are coming from regarding the heavy downloaders etc (not that I agree with them btw), but.. when they start thinking about blocking/throttling game ports or whatever then that is a bit too much.
I just phoned BT 2 minutes ago, they are coming next Friday to reactivate my line, and hopefully I will be up and running soon with a decent gaming ISP.

Kymmy 21-06-2008 14:43

One slight problem..most news servers allow the usage of port80...surely if they restrict that then they're restricting all web based traffic for the user??

Kymmy

TraxData 21-06-2008 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34580815)
One slight problem..most news servers allow the usage of port80...surely if they restrict that then they're restricting all web based traffic for the user??

Kymmy

Not really, as with ALLOT it has deep packet inspection, they can easily tell if ur using usenet even with SSL.

Uncle Peter 21-06-2008 15:09

The days of gaming traffic (with notable exceptions) using single digit bandwidth figures is a thing of the past unfortunately. The majority of Xbox live games for example are user hosted and rely on peer-to-peer connectivity.A mid double-digit figure is a more realistic estimation in this case depending on the game in question.

HSp8 21-06-2008 15:19

why pick on newsgroups?

I thought it was the P2P users that caused congestion on the network with uploading

bliss 21-06-2008 15:35

Another nail in the coffin for VM hopefully. I forsee Be getting a lot of new customers soon. :D

Nemeth 21-06-2008 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34580842)
The days of gaming traffic (with notable exceptions) using single digit bandwidth figures is a thing of the past unfortunately. The majority of Xbox live games for example are user hosted and rely on peer-to-peer connectivity.A mid double-digit figure is a more realistic estimation in this case depending on the game in question.

Fair point, having only ever gamed on the PC I didn't stop to consider consoles.

|Kippa| 21-06-2008 15:53

Feck, if you throttle newsgroup and p2p ports, then what exactly can you downloadload at 20mbit? Or is that the point, they don't want you to use it. As I have said before I am going to wait till 50mbit comes out and see what happens after that. As for saying that the average user doesn't know about this site and is more likely to use Facebook et al. Why not create a anti stm/phorm/throttling Virgin Media group in Facebook. This way you might significantly raise the profile of what they are doing and at the same time put the 'the average user' in touch with what is happening, also if a lot of people register to it that will create public pressure on VM, it would not cost anything and would be free so there is nothing lost in doing it.

I have created an Anti Phorm/STM/Throttling group in Facebook. If you want to join it then here is the link to the group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63826810720

Uncle Peter 21-06-2008 16:16

Well the big problem is that VM can arbitrarily decide what constitutes "heavy" use as they see fit and may arbitrarily apply Class of Service on whatever type of traffic they see fit (potentially to the detriment of their paying customers), just as they have varied the limits of STM and reserve the right to continue to do so.

Unfortunately the more switched on customers who decide that enough is enough and leave will no doubt be replaced by the unsuspecting people who make a grab for the dangling carrot of 50Mbit, which sounds great on paper.

flowrebmit 21-06-2008 17:28

Given the country of origin for this DPI equipment, I do wonder whether these devices were made just for traffic management or something altogether more sinster.

Angry@VMedia 21-06-2008 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34580625)
I think you are over reacting to Traxs' news.

The Allot system is essentially designed to maximise traffic throughput on certain protocols, prioritising certain types of traffic over others.

Essentially it tries to give an even playing field to all users.

As Trax mentioned for example it could help ping times for certain online gaming such as World of Warcraft, or give priority to other data types at different times.

Lets be upfront here, most people think that VM's problems are down to lack of capacity, the pipe. They think that if you increase the flow, or enlarge the pipe - everything will be ticketyboo. WRONG.

It's simple, if people are taking more than they reasonably should, you should not give them a wider door to go through, no sir. You controll the flow, making it fairer for the majority, that is what the Allot DPI system provides. It gives VM mission critical data to help them manage peoples expectations of traffic flow. This is ultimately what people want, the ability to turn on their PC, do what they have to do then get off.

Virgin Media are not criminals just because you're not happy, they have to manage a massively complicated network with a burgening demand from its customers and all the various content out there.

Trust me when I say this, the problem is global. The bigger the ISP, the bigger the problem. Traffic management isn't a nice to have, its a must have and the quicker we accept this the better.

Can I suggest something though? Leave, leave now.....you're not happy, and this system has been in place for months, possibly a couple of years but VM have never used it, its going to happen, so cut your losses and head off to ADSL land. Be Unlimited seem to offer good packages, and there are other ADSL providers who will provide a premium service for a premium price, that is give you priority traffic at peak times if you pay more - oh wait - that wouldn't be fair in your eyes, sorry.

With all due respect Toto, Trax did not say it could / will help ping times for games, he said it will "affect" it, which means they could (knowing what vm are like) throttle it down, I already have problems playing on Halo Multiplayer, even if the ping is low (lowest I have seen is 30-90) then I still get lags (that red disconnected network thing that pops up in the lower right of the screen and cant move or shoot)

What is the point of moving to (A)DSL when the max I can expect is 1.9mb as I am too far from the exchange. WHEN they have all of this going live, as I said earlier, not only will I cancel all of our virgin "services" but I will leave the net for good, I do not see the point in paying virgin to rip me off, not when I can pop into the library and use the net for free for as long as I want (business opening hours of course) if I wanted to, I could wait outside for them to open, and not leave until they close at night, and with a mate living within spitting distance of it, I could even go round their house and use the free internet, not to mention all of my friends that also have wireless, I'm sure they wouldnt mind me sitting in theirs using their connection, but thats beside the point!

This is all I am going to say on the matter as I dont want to get in an arguement, there's enough of that in the world already!

bliss 22-06-2008 02:41

Is it legal to use DPI on SSL encryption?

Toto 22-06-2008 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliss (Post 34581231)
Is it legal to use DPI on SSL encryption?

Assuming that DPI can break the encryption? doubt it, but we are moving away from the point.

VM AND BT both have Allot (or similar) installed within their network edge at the pops, I am not sure about other ISP's.

dev 22-06-2008 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34581250)
Assuming that DPI can break the encryption? doubt it, but we are moving away from the point.

VM AND BT both have Allot (or similar) installed within their network edge at the pops, I am not sure about other ISP's.

an ISP can easilly see SSL traffic, afterall you negotiate the secure connection via your ISP

Toto 22-06-2008 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dev (Post 34581252)
an ISP can easilly see SSL traffic, afterall you negotiate the secure connection via your ISP

I was answering the point as to whether or not D(eep)P(acket)I(nspection) of SSL packets whas legal or not, not whether the ISP can see them, which of course they can.

Ignitionnet 22-06-2008 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dev (Post 34581252)

Not really, this is why there are certification chains for the SSL certificates. If Virgin started trying to proxy SSL connections in order to read the contents it would be very obvious when you noted your bank's secure site having a certificate signed by Virgin Media ;)

They can't 'break' SSL but can certainly monitor the endpoints and implement a policy based on that. If someone has 10 SSL connections to news-europe.giganews.com it doesn't take a huge amount of thinking or analysis to guess what the traffic is.

dave.m 23-06-2008 11:06

If this is about QOS and NOT capping download rates for certain services, I think it would be a good thing. By definition, low latency applications (gamming, VOIP etc) require significantly less bandwidth than your blunt force multiple stream P2P/Newsgroup feed, so prioritising this traffic should not adversely affect download rates imo.

Dave

PeteTheMusicGuy 23-06-2008 11:28

I think VM are playing with fire

Maybe with all of this coming in VM might offer a "app throttling/STM free" service for a few pounds extra

|Kippa| 23-06-2008 11:29

It would depend on what they would do to achieve what they believe to be a quality of service with regards to throttling SSL connections. For example if they took an SSL connection download going at full pelt 20mbit, then throttled it down to say 15mbit perhaps this might not upset most folk. If on the other hand they throttle it from the full 20mbit to 0.5mbit then that really would be taking the micky.

All ISPs have limitations to what they can deliver, so using throttling to gaurntee quality of service isn't intrinsicly bad. The problem arises when an ISP like Virgin Media don't maintain the basic level of service to their customers, then use traffic management and throttling to offset the costs that are needed to maintain a basic level of service.

Alto 23-06-2008 14:33

Virgin Media rubbishes P2P throttling rumours

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ttling_denial/

Quote:

Contacted by The Reg today, a Virgin Media spokesman described the claims as "absolute rubbish". He sent us this statement:
Our policy does not discriminate internet traffic by application and we have no plans to do so. Whilst we do use equipment from Allot within parts of our cable network, this is used to build usage metrics and does not affect customers' service in any way. It is certainly not used to do any form of packet shaping or change internet traffic priorities.

zing_deleted 23-06-2008 14:38

I must say I do not believe them

Druchii 23-06-2008 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34582132)
I must say I do not believe them

Gotta agree with you here Zing.

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii (Post 34582135)
Gotta agree with you here Zing.

Count me in for that vote

stupid VM

TraxData 23-06-2008 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alto (Post 34582128)
Virgin Media rubbishes P2P throttling rumours

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ttling_denial/

Scrap that, now my name is posted everywhere i might just keep quiet lol.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Infact i'm more interested in who sent this to theregister :p:

NotaVMFan 23-06-2008 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34582145)

I wouldn`t, probably with you coming out with this information may well of sent Virgin (AKA NTL) into reverse mode and just rubbished your name...

I ditched Virgin nearly a Year Ago, Promised discounts etc never came and with the network being dire around here I went with Sky..

8Mb, now going over to their "UPTO" 16mb Package due to them LLU my exchange 2 weeks ago...

I will never Consider Virgin Media (or should we Say a wolf in sheeps clothing) again :mad:

Mick 23-06-2008 15:46

VM have approached us today as well as they appear to have been reading this thread and more or less have said what was quoted to Elreg above.

kryogenik 23-06-2008 15:49

Quote:

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Infact i'm more interested in who sent this to theregister :p:

Haha! Quality!
Go Trax!
:p:

LostintheNW 23-06-2008 16:04

Wouldn't put anything past VM at the moment, I bet they are doing some secret test to throttle P2P and Usenet downloads - this along with STM should take us all back to the dark ages of dial up speeds :D

PeteTheMusicGuy 23-06-2008 16:08

Maybe they should do secret tests so we can have free beer ;)

LostintheNW 23-06-2008 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteTheMusicGuy (Post 34582210)
Maybe they should do secret tests so we can have free beer ;)

Nah as they would only put a limit on how much you can have, as well as sell you a pint but only give you a 1/4 of what you think a pint should be ;)

TraxData 23-06-2008 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34582181)
VM have approached us today as well as they appear to have been reading this thread and more or less have said what was quoted to Elreg above.

One should note VirginMedia also said the exact same thing about the secret STM trials that were originally run on the telewest network before being rolled out.

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 16:15

*Dreams* of a Unlimited,unthrottled connection

Name Telewest come to mind

TraxData 23-06-2008 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34582224)
*Dreams* of a Unlimited,unthrottled connection

Name Telewest come to mind

Telewest were running STM trials long before the merger though...

Infact they were stm'in alot of "heavy users"

It's actually telewests fault you have STM...

EDIT : This has kicked up a big big big fuss over at VM, some people are not happy this has leaked...;)

LostintheNW 23-06-2008 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34582226)

EDIT : This has kicked up a big big big fuss over at VM, some people are not happy this has leaked...;)

This is so funny that they are all up in arms over something they claim isn't going on!

PeteTheMusicGuy 23-06-2008 16:24

Quote:

Telewest were running

Very interesting :)

Sherlock614 23-06-2008 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliss (Post 34580858)
Another nail in the coffin for VM hopefully. I forsee Be getting a lot of new customers soon. :D

Nooo stay away!!! The grass is nice and green over here on Be :p:

NotaVMFan 23-06-2008 16:46

Quote:

Yup, that was my initial thought, they are gutted it`s leaked out..

It`s ok VM, just wait another Year for everyone to forget then sneak it out ;)

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock614 (Post 34582246)
Nooo stay away!!! The grass is nice and green over here on Be :p:

2ND..

"Sky is rubbish, don`t bother switching over here, it`s worse than VM"

Stay Away, Stay Awayyyyyyyyy :D:D:D

LostintheNW 23-06-2008 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotaVMFan (Post 34582252)
Yup, that was my initial thought, they are gutted it`s leaked out..

It`s ok VM, just wait another Year for everyone to forget then sneak it out ;)

Has anyone checked the ever changing T&C's which magically appear to update whenever anything like this gets leaked??!?!

Rik 23-06-2008 17:19

Well judging by the letter I received a few weeks ago about the STM and the new daytime STM, im inclined to agree with Traxdata's claims.

As for the port throttling on newsgroups, well that will be me off, I have paid full price for about 4 years. for my broadband and TV.

If VM are reading this, you throttle ports on usenet/p2p, you would be upsetting a lot of customers inc myself.

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 17:21

Quote:

I was downloading loads under Telewest and never got stm'd

TraxData 23-06-2008 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34582278)
I was downloading loads under Telewest and never got stm'd

You wasnt in the trial area.

It was very well known that telewest were running STM trials and it was due to be implemented across the telewest network before the merger took place.

Which is why i laugh at people who think telewest was good :p:

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 17:38

O well atleast the speed was stable unlike my 20Mb speed with bursts of 18Mb and stable speed of 6Mb

Sirius 23-06-2008 18:02

I know who i believe. I seem to be on an over night STM trial which they say they are not doing. Yet i seem to be on one :confused:

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582304)
I know who i believe. I seem to be on an over night STM trial which they say they are not doing yet i seem to be on one :confused:

Have you not rang TS Sirus lol

Sirius 23-06-2008 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthlinux (Post 34582307)
Have you not rang TS Sirus lol

Since when have TS ever been told about trials. I can bet you that they will just say its my connection even when it matches the STM exactly.

Will run tests tonight via a linux machine with MRTG on it and graph the lot.

broadbandbug 23-06-2008 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34582284)
You wasnt in the trial area.

It was very well known that telewest were running STM trials and it was due to be implemented across the telewest network before the merger took place.

Which is why i laugh at people who think telewest was good :p:

We don't agree on very much.. But on this one we do.. STM came out of Telewest.

They were trialling in the Preston Region for almost 18 Months before it say national deployment post merger.

Ruki 23-06-2008 19:29

They say speed limits affect only top 5% which is a lie. It affects everyone who downloads. Why would I have 20mb service just so I could surf webpages? I might as well use dial up then. I played MGS4 online today and after a while my connection was so unstable (because I was being capped) that I had to stop playing.

The only bright side is that I can leave it on overnight but if they start managing traffic during night as well than that would be it.

xspeedyx 23-06-2008 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582323)
Since when have TS ever been told about trials. I can bet you that they will just say its my connection even when it matches the STM exactly.

Will run tests tonight via a linux machine with MRTG on it and graph the lot.

Hence the LOL at the end of my post

Gary L 23-06-2008 21:26

There's 2 things that are going to happen here.

1 is when they do implement application management, whether it be throttling or whatever. they will have proved that they lied. and can't be trusted to ever tell the truth resulting in everyone leaving and the company goes bust.

2 is they change their mind and don't go ahead with implementing application management in any shape or form.

Wonder which one they are gonna go for? :D :LOL:

Sirius 23-06-2008 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruki (Post 34582381)

The only bright side is that I can leave it on overnight but if they start managing traffic during night as well than that would be it.

Will give you an answer to that question by tomorrow morning ;)

NotaVMFan 23-06-2008 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 34582491)
There's 2 things that are going to happen here.

1 is when they do implement application management, whether it be throttling or whatever. they will have proved that they lied. and can't be trusted to ever tell the truth resulting in everyone leaving and the company goes bust.

2 is they change their mind and don't go ahead with implementing application management in any shape or form.

Wonder which one they are gonna go for? :D :LOL:

I choose 1 :D

Angry@VMedia 23-06-2008 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotaVMFan (Post 34582527)

BUT there will still be the not-so-tech savvy, and the users that dont freqent here that will know nothing about it, and IF they do actually call up to complain, they will be force fed the usual bullcrap that their pc is infected with viri / spyware or their network card is buggered, and if its the less tech savvy people, then they will actually believe virgin!!

Gary L 23-06-2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotaVMFan (Post 34582527)

I think this is the first time when they have denied something is happening or is going to happen (I guess you could say officially)
making that (I guess you could say official) statement, and taking into account the fact that they already do the very same thing on their ADSL offering.

The Virgin *we are in a bit of a pickle* team
:ghugs:

peanut 23-06-2008 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry@VMedia (Post 34582531)
BUT there will still be the not-so-tech savvy, and the users that dont freqent here that will know nothing about it, and IF they do actually call up to complain, they will be force fed the usual bullcrap that their pc is infected with viri / spyware or their network card is buggered, and if its the less tech savvy people, then they will actually believe virgin!!

People who are on 20mb use their connection, they don't pay out just to browse and get emails. I'm sure they know's exactly what's going on.

When or if this comes into force, for what real reason is left to stay on 20mb or 50mb, or VM as a whole.

brundles 23-06-2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutkp (Post 34582537)
People who are on 20mb use their connection, they don't pay out just to browse and get emails. I'm sure they know's exactly what's going on.

When or if this comes into force, for what real reason is left to stay on 20mb or 50mb, or VM as a whole.

A while back now, back in the days of NTL wasn't there some master plan to put everyone on 10meg (as was the top speed back then) and then charge people for usage - similar to the price plans from ADSL providers like BT?

The more we move towards 24/7 STM and this application throttling (OK, they denied throttling applications but that leaves plenty of scope for destinations, ports, etc) the more the drive is for a higher package to get higher bandwidth rather than the speed.

I've said it before, and I still think this is the case, but I believe the end goal here is to "encourage" people like me on 4meg to upgrade to a higher packager just to be able to use my connection now as I was a year ago. They're banking on the fact that just because you give someone faster speeds doesn't mean their usage changes. The more people on the higher packages, the more revenue for the same cost (in theory anyway).

peanut 23-06-2008 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by brundles (Post 34582557)
A while back now, back in the days of NTL wasn't there some master plan to put everyone on 10meg (as was the top speed back then) and then charge people for usage - similar to the price plans from ADSL providers like BT?

The more we move towards 24/7 STM and this application throttling (OK, they denied throttling applications but that leaves plenty of scope for destinations, ports, etc) the more the drive is for a higher package to get higher bandwidth rather than the speed.

I've said it before, and I still think this is the case, but I believe the end goal here is to "encourage" people like me on 4meg to upgrade to a higher packager just to be able to use my connection now as I was a year ago. They're banking on the fact that just because you give someone faster speeds doesn't mean their usage changes. The more people on the higher packages, the more revenue for the same cost (in theory anyway).

I totally agree with what you're saying, but when you're paying £38 for it the fun soon wears off when you can't use what you're paying out for. There are cheaper alternatives out there.

I understand what you're saying, if the 10mb was stm free then I'll gladly down grade. As it stands I do feel like I don't have a choice in the matter as that tier to me is totally pointless as it is now, my only alternative is to look elsewhere and in time all those upgrading will probably feel the same too.

brundles 23-06-2008 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutkp (Post 34582576)
I totally agree with what you're saying, but when you're paying £38 for it the fun soon wears off when you can't use what you're paying out for. There are cheaper alternatives out there.

I understand what you're saying, if the 10mb was stm free then I'll gladly down grade. As it stands I do feel like I don't have a choice in the matter as that tier to me is totally pointless as it is now, my only alternative is to look elsewhere and in time all those upgrading will probably feel the same too.

Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly. I'm wondering if they'll put us all on the top speed (20meg) and then the price gets us an allowance STM/throttling. So instead of BB M being 2 meg unlimited*, it's 20 meg with a 3GB monthly limit (for example).

The thing that's really doing VM no favours is that a number of heavy users here wouldn't object to paying a decent price for a decent service. It's paying a decent price and getting messed around that annoys us.

(* = Except for when VM decide it's limited in some random arbitrary way that results in a phonecall to TS to be told your PC has a virus, etc)

Horizon 23-06-2008 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34580746)
I will just clarify something here.

VM are using this to throttle p2p and usenet for people they class as "heavy" users.

That may be the reason VM give for doing this, but the main reason is to make money out of video downloading. I've said this several times on this site over the last 3 years. To make money out of legal downloads, they have to clamp down on the illegal first.

Quote:

Don't worry about it, VM made this public about 3 weeks ago anyway - at least to the City bods.

Sirius 23-06-2008 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune (Post 34582610)

Don't worry about it, VM made this public about 3 weeks ago anyway - at least to the City bods.

You got a link to that as it will show that VM are lying in there denial today. ???

Horizon 23-06-2008 23:30

They're not lying, the PR people don't know what's coming in the future.

Neil Berkett told City analysts that anti piracy measures would be brought in next year. He mentions it in one of the webcasts. Either the last Merryl Lynch one or Lehman Brothers one available from here:

http://investors.virginmedia.com/pho...onsVirginMedia

You may be asked to register to listen to the webcasts, just use any name and email address.

If I have time tommorow, I'll endure going through each one of them again and I'll post at exactly what time point in the webcast he mentions it.

Ed2020 23-06-2008 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune (Post 34582724)
Neil Berkett told City analysts that anti piracy measures would be brought in next year.

Making your service so cack that everyone leaves is a novel approach to combating piracy! Effective though. No users = no piracy on our network. :)

Ed.

Sirius 24-06-2008 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582516)
Will give you an answer to that question by tomorrow morning ;)

Update.

Just passed 4.8 gig since midnight and as yet no STM, So ether the threshold is higher or the STM the other night was a faulty activation. Will continue to monitor this over the next week.

TraxData 24-06-2008 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582864)
Update.

Just passed 4.8 gig since midnight and as yet no STM, So ether the threshold is higher or the STM the other night was a faulty activation. Will continue to monitor this over the next week.

Threshold is 9GB overnight.

Sirius 24-06-2008 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34582867)
Threshold is 9GB overnight.

Well i have set for a higher download than that so will leave it running and see what happens

BenMcr 24-06-2008 01:27

There isn't suppose to be ANY trigger threshold outside the published hours.

TraxData 24-06-2008 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582875)
Well i have set for a higher download than that so will leave it running and see what happens

Hope you dont get stm'd :)

Ed2020 24-06-2008 01:39

Quote:

Assuming TraxData is right (and I'm betting he is) I'd love to see your evidence sent through to The Register for a follow-up story to VM's denial...

Ed.

TraxData 24-06-2008 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed2020 (Post 34582893)
Assuming TraxData is right (and I'm betting he is) I'd love to see your evidence sent through to The Register for a follow-up story to VM's denial...

Ed.

If he's in the trial area, which changes every few weeks :)

VM havent actually denied using allot for shaping really, very choice words from VM to not really give an answer back ;)

Ed2020 24-06-2008 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraxData (Post 34582894)
If he's in the trial area, which changes every few weeks :)

VM havent actually denied using allot for shaping really, very choice words from VM to not really give an answer back ;)

I've just reread VM's statement and I can certainly see some loopholes but it reads like a firm denial re. Allot. What am I missing?

I'm almost tempted to get a job at VM so I can do my bit towards getting some of this doublespeak out into the public domain.

Ed.

Mox3d 24-06-2008 03:32

More people read these forums than some may give credit for. I've popped in and looked ever since VM took over, ever since Blueyonder took over, in fact since the early days of Telewest broadband. It's taken a long time but there has to come a point at which one has to say `too far, no more'.

VM with me are on a very sticky wicket. Our relationship has spiralled downward ever since the first day I called VM CS. That patronising voice saying how there are now four choices, choosing, waiting, choosing again, the customer service disconnects while you wait, the unintelligible language of at least half of the CS telephone staff, the fact that I was one of the very first to have broadband in my area with Telewest in 1998, the fact that since 2003 I've payed for the top level service from when it was 1mb to the current 20mb, the prospect of throttling just irritates and angers me beyond words.

You can call it what you like, quantize it, divide it, categorize it, diagnose my modem I don't care any more. The fact is this. 20mb connection speed is what I am paying for. If I find so much as once that I am `throttled' back to anything less than the best service you can be assured I will be leaving VM.

Gone are the days where customer service meant one on one conversation with someone who knew your first name. Gone are the days when if you had something to say about service then you would be duly heard, maybe a new policy would be rolled out too. Gone is the time where value means you get exactly what it says on the lid. I have little in the way of positive things to say about Virgin Media. I am in fact appalled at the entire service overall. The gritty TV signal quality, patchy broadband, atrocious phone services etc. In fact I am on the edge of suicide just reading this back to myself.

I'll just say that there are many unhappy customers about to come out of the woodwork, all of whome are equally disillusioned by VM's advertising and service in general. Throttling elite customers will be very much the beginning of the end.

These are my opinions. I'm sorry if I come across angry.

LostintheNW 24-06-2008 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 34582880)
There isn't suppose to be ANY trigger threshold outside the published hours.

Just like there isn't any port throttling going on ;)

STM kicks in when it feels like it for me and a lot of other people who have VM for their ISP. What VM tell you as a CS rep and what some goon does behind the scenes are always two different things it would seem.

Love how someone has mentioned that they are doing this to combat piracy - not everything P2P involves illegal material ya know! Just nice to see how VM tar everyone with the same brush and that all their internet users are nothing but pirates :D

Sirius 24-06-2008 08:26

Quote:

Well i did not get STM'd so i can only assume that the triggering the other night was in error which has now been fixed or that the trial if there was one is over.

LostintheNW 24-06-2008 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582961)
Well i did not get STM'd so i can only assume that the triggering the other night was in error which has now been fixed or that the trial if there was one is over.

Which part of the UK are you in Sirius? I live in the North West and I am STM'd day in day out (love to know how it happens given I am in work from around 8am until gone 7pm some nights and can't possibly be using my VM connection!) with varying limits of what I can download (which is nowhere near gigs of data its demos, and streaming 80meg videos from xbox live)

Sirius 24-06-2008 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostintheNW (Post 34582962)
Which part of the UK are you in Sirius? I live in the North West and I am STM'd day in day out (love to know how it happens given I am in work from around 8am until gone 7pm some nights and can't possibly be using my VM connection!) with varying limits of what I can download (which is nowhere near gigs of data its demos, and streaming 80meg videos from xbox live)

Warrington area.

I know of the day time stm and evening stm however i WAS stm'd after midnight the other week. I knew it was stm as the upload and download was changed at the same time for the STM limits. I have been away and have not had the chance to test until last night. I am worried that it will come in as i see a once great broadband system being changed into a bag of poo.

LostintheNW 24-06-2008 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34582972)
Warrington area.

I know of the day time stm and evening stm however i WAS stm'd after midnight the other week. I knew it was stm as the upload and download was changed at the same time for the STM limits. I have been away and have not had the chance to test until last night. I am worried that it will come in as i see a once great broadband system being changed into a bag of poo.

I agree it was going to be a good internet service, now its just a restricted useless pile of crud. They will bring it in like they do everything else they suddenly claim is a trial when it gets leaked and its just the poor customers who get shafted over and over. Might STM my last payment to them for a laugh and see how they like it ;)