Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cigarette Lighter Install? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6674)

smicer07 23-01-2004 09:40

Cigarette Lighter Install?

I don't have a cigarette lighter in my Nissan Micra, there is a blocked off space where it should be, right next to the ashtray. Does anyone know how I can get one installed and any idea on the cost?
Cheers
Simon

Popeye 23-01-2004 09:46

Re: Cigarette Lighter Install?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smicer07
I don't have a cigarette lighter in my Nissan Micra, there is a blocked off space where it should be, right next to the ashtray. Does anyone know how I can get one installed and any idea on the cost?
Cheers
Simon

same with my fiesta
got a sort of 'blank' in where the cig lighter should be

it has been "blaired"

so you can't spark up a smoke when you are jammed stationary in blair's traffic jams about to make a phone call on the now banned phones

smicer07 23-01-2004 09:48

I can understand why you're not encouraged to smoke whilst driving, but don't they realise that these lighters are used for CD Players, to charge phones, etc? I don't even smoke but have a new CD player I want to fit using the lighter..

chambece 23-01-2004 10:18

I would have sort you should be able to get one fairly easily, but for how much I've no idea - especially if you want it fitted!

It does seem to be a bit of a theme - I'm getting a new car soon, and it come with a 12v Power Outlet - if you want to use this as a cigarette lighter it's £15 for the 'smokers pack' it also means you loose a cup holder for the ashtry

DrAwesome 23-01-2004 10:20

Quote:

Cheers
Simon

Your local Halfords install them a friend had some fog lights fitted and a c lighter replaced (as the old one was faulty) cant remember the price as it was well over 1yr ago best to go pay them a visit and ask.

altis 23-01-2004 10:37

Mrs A had a 12V outlet installed on the dashboard of her previous van. I supplied the connector but the garage still charged £50!!!

paulyoung666 23-01-2004 10:43

Quote:

Cheers
Simon

is it a removable blank fitted in the hole ????????? , if it is , prise it out and see if there is wiring behind it , from past experience there probably will be as they tend to use a standard wiring loom rather than loads of different ones , if there is then go to halfords or wherever and buy a socket and away you go :)

Julian 23-01-2004 14:31

Exactly as Paul said re: the wiring.To get lighter, go to local scrappies, find similar Micra that has lighter fitted, remove lighter from car, dosh up dodgy looking guy with about 50p, fit lighter to car. :)

paulyoung666 23-01-2004 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian
Exactly as Paul said re: the wiring.To get lighter, go to local scrappies, find similar Micra that has lighter fitted, remove lighter from car, dosh up dodgy looking guy with about 50p, fit lighter to car. :)

never thought about scrap yards , nice one :)

chambece 23-01-2004 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
never thought about scrap yards , nice one :)

Or if you know another no-smoking micra owner ;)

Atomic22 23-01-2004 20:09

fag lighters cost about 2 quid new and come with an inline fuse.......
pop out your blank on dash , attach a piece of wire to a spare +terminal in your fusebox , a peice of wire to a spare -terminal in your fusebox ,feed these through engine bay into car interior through one of many holes around underdash footwell area , poke them through newly acquired hole in dash , connect to new fag lighter , poke fag lighter into hole and hey presto - roberts your dads brother.....
yes it is that easy and would take a total novice about half an hour and cost about £2.50 the shops and garages rip you off all the time