Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33668515)

pistolpete 17-08-2010 17:53

Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-L32D25B LED LCD TV. It requires a Panasonic WiFi Dongle Adaptor DY-WL10E-K to access Viera Cast. I have read elsewhere that the Panasonic service is fairly limited and that the device is not worth the £80 or so that it costs (if you can find a supplier with any stock).

i have also read that other purchasers of this TV are using a router connected to the one of the USB ports on the rear of the TV to access the router connected to a PC. This arrangement apparently enables web access via Twonkymedia (a free download). My PC is in an upstairs bedroom and I am currently using a D-Link DIR-635 router with it.

Has anyone had experience of setting up such a configuation and if so what routers did they attach to the TV and PC. I would appreciate any information whatsoever with regard to the detail of setting up such a system.

Impith 17-08-2010 22:41

Re: Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet.

I have a Panasonic TV and bought a Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter from Amazon, and connected the wired Ethernet port to that. Presto - wireless connection with four ports available. So I also connected my BluRay player to one of the other ports on the converter. Viera cast available twice! Works fine. Not a lot cheaper but far more useful than the Panasonic dongle.

pistolpete 18-08-2010 14:06

Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet.

Many thanks for your reply Impith. I am new to all of this and am not sure on a couple of points. Does your Converter work as a stand alone item or does it require a router. My Vigin broadband modem is in a bedroom whilst the TV is in the lounge downstairs. Sorry for my lack of expertise on this. You say the Converter is more useful than Viera Cast, what additional facilities does it bring?

Impith 18-08-2010 19:40

Search for it on Amazon. It converts wired Ethernet to wireless. So that way your telly can talk to the rest of the world. Should work with your wireless router as far as I know. I didn't say it was more useful than Vieracast - it enables you to get Vieracast, which is the Panasonic Internet service. It is more useful than the Panasonic dongle because you can plug 4 different Ethernet devices into it - eg if you have an X-box next to your telly then you should be able to run X-box live through it as well.

If you have set a computer up to operate using wireless then setting the Buffalo converter up is a breeze.

An alternative to this is to get a pair of "Ethernet over mains" adaptors - I just thought of that 'cos our X-box is connected to the Interwebby thing using a pair of devolo dLAN 200 homeplugs. Work fine and should work for the Panasonic - put one plug next to your telly, the other next to your router, and connect Ethernet cables between the telly and first plug, and the second plug and your router. Disadvantage of this is you only connect one device, and you (supposedly) have to plug the adaptors direct into a wall socket, not an extension cable.
(Our x-box is on a different telly, else it would use the Buffalo converter)

pistolpete 19-08-2010 12:19

I will give the Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter a go.At least using the ethernet port will not tie up the HDMI's and USB on the TV. Many thanks for your tome and assistance.