Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33642046)

SRF 25-11-2008 20:23

Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

My Sky+ Box will not turn on. I have spoken to Sky and they are suggesting that an engineer should come to my house, but that costs £65! There must be a way to fix it without resorting to that! Could you please give me any suggestions! Even suggestions of what I can say to Sky in response. Thank you very much! x

Turkey Machine 26-11-2008 05:19

Re: Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

Genuine first response from technical support: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Otherwise, have you switched it off at the mains for a minute or so and switched it back on? Have you made sure all the cables are connected up properly? Does the remote not work? Are there fresh batteries in the remote? Is there a clear line of sight from the remote to the box? Have you tried the power button on the Sky+ box? If all these responses lead you to this last point, you'd need to call technical support, who will most likely go through what I've said, but may also have a few suggestions of their own.

Paul K 26-11-2008 06:33

How old is the box and are you out of the 12 month contract yet? If so try telling them you refuse to pay the £65 and will take your money elsewhere. Unless the agent is having a bad day you stand a god chance of getting the engineer for free.

SRF 26-11-2008 09:47

I bought the box in Nov 2006. I'm going to try calling Sky again. Thanks for your advice. :)

I have already tried all those things...and called a technician. They made me reboot the box by turning it off by the mains, and whilst holding down the back up button turn it back on. That hasn't worked. The box has worked completely fine for 2 years...and then it just refused to turn on one morning.

BiggerDavey 10-01-2009 10:57

Is anyone still having this problem? Have a solution, so post here if you need it.

Hom3r 13-01-2009 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiggerDavey (Post 34712670)
Is anyone still having this problem? Have a solution, so post here if you need it.

Post anyway, even if the OP has solved it others might encounter the problem

darren smith 03-10-2010 22:23

did anyone solve this problem? i can not get my box out of standby mode at all, tried everything, left it of for half the day, spoken to sky and gone through there suggsetions but nothing!! i have seen hard drives for sale on ebay would this work?

Paul K 04-10-2010 06:16

It may not be the drive and it may actually be the power supply.

Corpy 05-10-2010 23:31

Hi !! This happen to me on my old sky + box as same day i had a 2nd hd one fitted !

They said it just needed a hard reset and they pressed lots of buttons lol ! I dont know what they were but it worked ! But you will loose every program you have on the sky+/HD box ! thats the only down side

Paul K 06-10-2010 06:16

A hard reset only works for planner or software corruptions, unfortunately some models are known to suffer failed power supplies which mean that the only way to get them working is to get the supply replaced.