Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Connecting to Broadband using a Belkin Router (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=23269)

tamos123 28-01-2005 21:05

Connecting to Broadband using a Belkin Router

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Belkin Wireless Router and I am trying to configure it so that I can use my ntl Broadband connection and then set-up a wireless network.

However, I am having no luck whatsoever in setting the thing up. Apparently, the WAN light should shine green but it continually shines as amber. Is this a problem with the Router or do I need to set something up on my PC to enable access via my Broadband connection.

Apologies for the vagueness but any help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanx

Scrubbs 28-01-2005 21:08

Re: Connecting to Broadband using a Belkin Router

welcome Tamos123

try the search function while you wait for a clever person,lots of info on wireless routers

homealone 28-01-2005 21:17

hiya :welcome: to Cable Forum - are you connecting to broadband using a cable modem or a set top box?

Tezcatlipoca 28-01-2005 21:24

:welcome:

What model router is it?

What have you tried doing so far?

Expanding on homealone's very relevant question above.... If you use a standalone cable modem (SACM), you need to reboot the modem before 1st connecting the router (see here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tips/swap.html). If you use a digital TV set-top box (STB) for broadband, then you have to either register the router's WAN port's MAC address (see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...r.html#pacereg ) or clone the PC's MAC address onto the router.

tamos123 28-01-2005 21:45

Hi,

Thanx for the quick responses. I connect via a Set top Box.

What model router is it?
It is a Belkin F5D7230-4

Initially I have just been running the Belkin software which will only go so far, when it gets to the part of trying to make an internet connection it falls over with an unhelpful error message.
I have just tried re-booting the STB but am still getting the amber light on the WAN indicator. I am fairly confident that if this was to go green that the problem would be solved. I have had success setting up other networks via ntl STB and think that maybe it is just a question of getting the MAC address into the Router.

JohnHorb 28-01-2005 22:02

Looking at the manual

http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...11g_Manual.pdf

the WAN port seems not to have an 'amber' mode, BUT the LAN ports do (indicates 100M connection). Are you sure you've not connected the STB to a LAN port?

tamos123 28-01-2005 22:09

Hi

No the WAN port is the only one that will take the STB connector size wise...which is why I am confused as you say there is no mention of amber in the manual

JohnHorb 28-01-2005 22:16

1 Attachment(s)
??? Now I'M confused. Surely all the connectors are the same size (RJ45)?

maverick 28-01-2005 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamos123
Hi,

Thanx for the quick responses. I connect via a Set top Box.

What model router is it?
It is a Belkin F5D7230-4

Initially I have just been running the Belkin software which will only go so far, when it gets to the part of trying to make an internet connection it falls over with an unhelpful error message.
I have just tried re-booting the STB but am still getting the amber light on the WAN indicator. I am fairly confident that if this was to go green that the problem would be solved. I have had success setting up other networks via ntl STB and think that maybe it is just a question of getting the MAC address into the Router.

I have this router,your stb ethernet cable will plug into the wlan socket on the router,the wlan light will be green the wan light is always amber.
The Belkin software is failing because it is exspecting to get a full ip and an internet connection,because the stb does not recognise the mac id of the router it will give it a 10 ip address,you will need to browse to the ntl provisioning screen to register the router with stb.Try typing start.ntl in a browser screen.

JohnHorb 28-01-2005 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick
I have this router,your stb ethernet cable will plug into the wlan socket on the router,the wlan light will be green the wan light is always amber.

:shrug:

handyman 28-01-2005 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHorb
:shrug:

wlan = wireless local area network
wan = wide area network though i think he ment lan (local area network)

maverick 29-01-2005 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyman
wlan = wireless local area network
wan = wide area network though i think he ment lan (local area network)

My bad the connection to use from stb to router should be the wan port.

Spike 31-01-2005 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamos123
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Belkin Wireless Router and I am trying to configure it so that I can use my ntl Broadband connection and then set-up a wireless network.

However, I am having no luck whatsoever in setting the thing up. Apparently, the WAN light should shine green but it continually shines as amber. Is this a problem with the Router or do I need to set something up on my PC to enable access via my Broadband connection.

Apologies for the vagueness but any help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanx

Have you managed to set up your router yet as I have and its a belkin4port router I would be willing to help should you need it still
Spike

tamos123 16-02-2005 21:23

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of response, I haven't been around for a while. The problem I have is getting the start.ntl page to appear whilst connected via the router in order for me to add the MAC address of my PC.

Any ideas how I can force this page to appear.

Many thanks in advace

tamos123 16-02-2005 21:54

Dont worry chaps. I've susses it, thanx for all your help

:)