Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33641036)

supremus 14-11-2008 15:45

Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Virgin seem to roll out their anti-piracy adds every year around this time. Are there are lot of dodgy boxed being given away as stocking fillers? Either way, I read an article recently saying that no individual user has ever been successfully prosecuted for using a chipped box, only the people who sell them have, so aren't ads like this just a silly waste of money?

piggy 14-11-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremus (Post 34675415)
Virgin seem to roll out their anti-piracy adds every year around this time. Are there are lot of dodgy boxed being given away as stocking fillers? Either way, I read an article recently saying that no individual user has ever been successfully prosecuted for using a chipped box, only the people who sell them have, so aren't ads like this just a silly waste of money?

yes but sky is better!

supremus 14-11-2008 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 34675719)
yes but sky is better!

True. It's virtually piracy safe.

TheDaddy 15-11-2008 14:57

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif
Sorry to be pedantic - but game is hung, people are hanged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34675283)
Well illegal set-top box users are fair game ;)

And I am well hung :cool:

Sigh I bring nothing to this thread

piggy 15-11-2008 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremus (Post 34675730)
True. It's virtually piracy safe.

not at all, do your home work...card sharing

Fatec 16-11-2008 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 34676549)
not at all, do your home work...card sharing

Which is very easy to get caught doing...

piggy 16-11-2008 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatec (Post 34676689)
Which is very easy to get caught doing...

indeed im not condoning any piracy im merely stating all systems have been hacked on one level or another, sky are a lot more proactive at closing the gaps.

BenMcr 16-11-2008 14:00

Thing is, I'm not sure how proactive cable could have been when there 3 different networks and 3 different software platforms

Until they merged and became Virgin Media, neither ntl or telewest seemed to particularly interesting to co-ordinating things

dgardner 22-11-2008 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34670219)
People who use this kit should be sent to prison and their homes blacklisted from ever receiving cable.

And i thought i was intolerant of criminals. :ninja: :sniper:
Throw away the keys for these bunch of wossnames

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:33

lets face it, it will cost vm millions to change there encryption system and not to mention change all set top boxes, my view is they can't afford to do this because if the hack is closed alot of ppl paying subscription will move to sky, because lets face it sky tv is much better and is worth the mone so vm will lose out. One HD channel on the vm network whats that about??

Kymmy 26-11-2008 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683614)
lets face it, it will cost vm millions to change there encryption system and not to mention change all set top boxes, my view is they can't afford to do this because if the hack is closed alot of ppl paying subscription will move to sky, because lets face it sky tv is much better and is worth the mone so vm will lose out. One HD channel on the vm network whats that about??

The encryption within the boxes is firmware/software so all it would cost them is the development costs of the new firmware, distribution would be as any new online upgrade..

What VM don;t seem to want to do is to pay the licence for the new encryption :(

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:40

Quote:

What VM don;t seem to want to do is to pay the licence for the new encryption :(
Thats a good thing, but they would loose alot of revenue, because ppl with hacked boxes do pay the minimum subscription, but if the hack is closed alot of ppl will cancel their subscription.

cimt 26-11-2008 14:49

It also loses them money... Would you be happy if you owned a company and people where obtaining your services illegaly? This meaning that you're losing profit.

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34683637)
It also loses them money... Would you be happy if you owned a company and people where obtaining your services illegaly? This meaning that you're losing profit.

I wouldn't be happy but I will do something about it, vm ain't bothred.

VM don't make much profit on there TV service they probably make peanuts, however much of there profit is form there broadband and telephone service.
The reason why I feel vm don't want to invest in a new encryption system is because they feel its not worth the money.

Hugh 26-11-2008 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683642)
I wouldn't be happy but I will do something about it, vm ain't bothred.

VM don't make much profit on there TV service they probably make peanuts, however much of there profit is form there broadband and telephone service.
The reason why I feel vm don't want to invest in a new encryption system is because they feel its not worth the money.

Is this a fact, or an assumption?