Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33641036)

Nilrem 05-11-2008 20:34

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

However I've just seen my first VM anti pirate STB advert, at about 20:29 on Virgin 1, complete with free phone number to report dodgy boxes.

Is this a new push by VM to try and get people to stop using the boxes (by making them aware of it being a crime), and by raising awareness of the number to call?

I don't think I've ever seen a VM advert dodgy STB advert, or the number to call before.

BenMcr 05-11-2008 21:48

Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

BIIIIIIIGGGG push ;)

Hom3r 05-11-2008 21:52

Personally anybody who uses illegal boxes should be black listed for life from using any VM service.

Perhaps from using Sky.

with the exception of a phone only service

Dai 05-11-2008 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 34669453)
BIIIIIIIGGGG push ;)

Last time I heard that I had fingernails embedded in the back of my hand..

Boabyboy 06-11-2008 14:34

I wonder if the advert is on youtube?

piggy 06-11-2008 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaiNasty (Post 34669474)

:D:D:D

LondonRoad 06-11-2008 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaiNasty (Post 34669474)

:D Was there bad language involved too?

whydoIneedatech 06-11-2008 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmitage (Post 34669953)
:D Was there bad language involved too?

The was probably a mention of some nuts getting removed from...........I cannot quite remember as my voice seems to go higher at the memory.:D

Maggy 06-11-2008 17:52

Topic?I believe there is one somewhere in this thread.;)

Sirius 06-11-2008 17:56

About bloody time

saabmania2 06-11-2008 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34670032)
About bloody time

yeah but were not allowed to talk about dodgy boxes :shocked:

BenMcr 06-11-2008 19:02

I think we can talk about efforts being made to stop them. We just can't talk about how to get them/where to get them/what they are called

Stuart 06-11-2008 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by saabmania2 (Post 34670057)
yeah but were not allowed to talk about dodgy boxes :shocked:

I'll say it again.

You are allowed to talk about dodgy boxes. You are NOT allowed to discuss specifics of how to obtain services illegally, such as methods/codes used, or where to obtain the boxes.

Help!!! 06-11-2008 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 34669458)
Personally anybody who uses illegal boxes should be black listed for life from using any VM service.

Perhaps from using Sky.

with the exception of a phone only service

Whats Sky got to do with Virgin?

Ignitionnet 06-11-2008 22:07

Hopefully they'll ensure that any homes found using dubious equipment are disconnected, the cable serving the home cut or removed, and suitably flagged so that unless they demonstrably change ownership or rental status of the home they will not have cable repulled.

1 strike and you're out. There's no tolerance for this in the US, should be none here. People who use this kit should be sent to prison and their homes blacklisted from ever receiving cable.

That said VM should also invest in a more robust encryption system with it. The present one doesn't cut in. Perhaps with the recent thaw in relations between them and News Corp / Sky they'll start using the same system as Sky :)

sollp 06-11-2008 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Help!!! (Post 34670128)
Whats Sky got to do with Virgin?

The point being, if your caught obtaining services fraudulantly you will not only be disconnected from VM ,but as an added deterent you would also be blacklisted from obtaining services from another provider. As they would also be doing it to another provider, so would make sense to make it difficult for these people to get a service from whatever provider.

jdw 06-11-2008 23:04

Yeh they are getting serious on dodgy boxes.

there will be letters sent to people who have been caught with them, also there will be a message that appears on there tv that says, that it is an unathorised box and to cease using it ! :)

Bonglet 07-11-2008 11:38

They have been saying this since time began and its still hasnt done much good
still just as much as ever going on, ****es you off when you find information from such sites and you see them trading mac codes on YOUR ubr.

BarFly 07-11-2008 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw (Post 34670264)
Yeh they are getting serious on dodgy boxes.

there will be letters sent to people who have been caught with them, also there will be a message that appears on there tv that says, that it is an unathorised box and to cease using it ! :)

I dont think its people who have been caught with them, from looking at *other* forums, lots of people who recieved the letters bought them from suppliers who had been raided & closed down by the police, so it looks like VM have gained access to those business's sales list

The message is a waste of time, they know they are getting goods for free, so seeing a message on a channel wont mean anything to them.. Just delete the channel its been attached to, & move on..

Toto 07-11-2008 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34670219)
Hopefully they'll ensure that any homes found using dubious equipment are disconnected, the cable serving the home cut or removed, and suitably flagged so that unless they demonstrably change ownership or rental status of the home they will not have cable repulled.

1 strike and you're out. There's no tolerance for this in the US, should be none here. People who use this kit should be sent to prison and their homes blacklisted from ever receiving cable.

That said VM should also invest in a more robust encryption system with it. The present one doesn't cut in. Perhaps with the recent thaw in relations between them and News Corp / Sky they'll start using the same system as Sky :)

Not sure about putting dodgy STB owning scumbags in prison, but I like your point,its got teeth.

Matth 09-11-2008 22:51

To make a major change in the coding, they would have to replace the boxes, so the only coding changes likely are those which can be done by a firmware update or card reprogramming.

Horace 10-11-2008 02:38

http://www.nds.com/press_releases/Premiere_150408.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDS
During the coming months Premiere and NDS will be working closely to smoothly migrate the operator’s satellite platforms and set-top box (STB) population to VideoGuard, the world’s leading conditional access (CA) system which now protects over 82.7 million active devices worldwide. As part of this process, smart cards currently deployed will be replaced and VideoGuard software will be downloaded to existing STBs. New STBs will be equipped with VideoGuard. Premiere will deploy NDS’ leading edge security technology to its subscribers seamlessly, with no interruption to reception of programming.

I assume that's wrapping Nagra around NDS, so it may be possible with just a card swap-out.

Premiere currently use Nagra albeit version 2 and I suspect their receivers will be more flexible than Virgin's ageing range but you never know.

icestar2 10-11-2008 04:00

What about dodgy modems then ? I find it very annoying that people are stealing bandwidth and forcing the paying users to have such a poor service in some parts !

Would rather here their doing something about that TBH.

Nidge 10-11-2008 05:15

They don't do anything when you phone up anyway, I informed VM that a person was using 3 chipped STB's, they got back to me and said they are on the basic package and no information was coming back off the box to suggest otherwise. I have spoken to some installers over the last few months and they have said, as long as you are signed up to the basic package there's no way they can trace you, one installer said that there were people out there who were running chipped boxes and had been for the last 5 or so years.

Maggy 10-11-2008 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge (Post 34672273)
They don't do anything when you phone up anyway, I informed VM that a person was using 3 chipped STB's, they got back to me and said they are on the basic package and no information was coming back off the box to suggest otherwise. I have spoken to some installers over the last few months and they have said, as long as you are signed up to the basic package there's no way they can trace you, one installer said that there were people out there who were running chipped boxes and had been for the last 5 or so years.

Can anyone confirm that?:erm:

on in an hour! 10-11-2008 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34672282)

i can tell you that as a principal service tech i get mails from fraud with addresses that have been reported as having illegal equipment on the network and they are very specific 'disconnect at node'.but there again youve got to remember that these people who use illegal equipment (be it a modem or a stt) will (as said earlier) be subscribing to a package,also remember it doesnt have to be CATV as a subscription to broadband will keep your co-axial connection going to your property.:(

Nidge 10-11-2008 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34672282)

It was on of the Mods on here who ran the test Maggie, I gave him the house number and post code.

Here's one reply I got back.

Hi Nidge,

ntl have got back to me and have told me that the customer is paying for all three services and has been doing for the last 3 years. Do the people you know about have an additional device that ntl don't know about?

Thanks,

zing_deleted 10-11-2008 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by on in an hour! (Post 34672323)
i can tell you that as a principal service tech i get mails from fraud with addresses that have been reported as having illegal equipment on the network and they are very specific 'disconnect at node'.but there again youve got to remember that these people who use illegal equipment (be it a modem or a stt) will (as said earlier) be subscribing to a package,also remember it doesnt have to be CATV as a subscription to broadband will keep your co-axial connection going to your property.:(

obviously they woudl not disconnect on just the strength of a phone call though ? I mean if someone is paying for service but gets wrongly grassed up

on in an hour! 10-11-2008 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by David F (Post 34672332)
obviously they woudl not disconnect on just the strength of a phone call though ? I mean if someone is paying for service but gets wrongly grassed up

i dont know where they get their info david,but these cases are few and far between anyway,which may suggest they scrutinize the reported peoples acc first, (just guessing at that bit) but i would be loathe to disconnect a customer of mine if what they were paying me would justify leaving them connected.
its a catch22 situation in those circumstances i suppose.:(

TheDaddy 10-11-2008 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif
1 strike and you're out. There's no tolerance for this in the US, should be none here. People who use this kit should be sent to prison and their homes blacklisted from ever receiving cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto (Post 34670606)
Not sure about putting dodgy STB owning scumbags in prison, but I like your point,its got teeth.

No me neither Toto heck we haven't even got the space to put violent offenders behinds bars

XFS03 10-11-2008 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge (Post 34672273)

To be fair, what can VM do about it? If a customer is paying for their services, VM only have your word for it that they are also using chipped boxes. I doubt that VM would spend time, effort & money on getting the police involved & getting search warrents issued on the basis of a phone call.

Nilrem 10-11-2008 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFS03 (Post 34672429)
To be fair, what can VM do about it? If a customer is paying for their services, VM only have your word for it that they are also using chipped boxes. I doubt that VM would spend time, effort & money on getting the police involved & getting search warrents issued on the basis of a phone call.

I would have hoped that in that sort of case a note could be put on the system for any future engineer call outs along the lines of "check box is normal, disconnect any spare lines" or something.

Mind you, you'd have to be pretty silly to call out an engineer if you're using a dodgy box instead of a legitimate one.

Maggy 10-11-2008 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilrem (Post 34672434)
I would have hoped that in that sort of case a note could be put on the system for any future engineer call outs along the lines of "check box is normal, disconnect any spare lines" or something.

Mind you, you'd have to be pretty silly to call out an engineer if you're using a dodgy box instead of a legitimate one.

So what proof exactly would get VM to come out..What actual proof do they actually need from someone phoning in response to these ads?:erm:

McMav 10-11-2008 16:49

A major thing VM could start with is actually disconnecting all the addresses that have no contract with them that would chop a fair few of these dodgy boxes off for a start.

Nilrem 10-11-2008 16:54

What I mean, is if the person who may well be paying for a lower service, but using a dodgy box calls for an engineer due to a problem with say the line.

Not send the engineer out specially, but a note on the account to keep an eye out for signs that there has been any fiddling with the service if he's called out for a routine problem, and a note of exactly what is meant to be in use at the address (how many STB's etc).
For example Knockoff Nigel (not just DVD's any more:p) has VM's 3 most basic services, but he's not very with it and has a dodgy box in addition to his normal one - he has a line problem that requires an engineer to be called out, but not being too bright he leaves it connected in one room with his modem (or leaves the splitter in place).
The engineer calls round, and checks the levels on the lines* and having seen the "services" note logs the discrepency, and informs control when he gets back in case either the notes he got were wrong, or there is a theft of service.

Of course if VM already do give engineers a note of the exact services it's redundant**, and I would hope that the engineers would already keep an eye open for dodgy connections to the grey box etc (in the same way meter readers are, I believe meant to note if the gas/electric meter shows any signs of being tampered with).

*Something the better engineers seem to do for all the lines anyway whenever they deal with a signal problem on one (I guess in case that change affects the other lines).

**I know in the past I've had the odd engineer out who wasn't aware that we had 3 STB's on our account when we've had to call them out, and assumed the third line was just for the cable modem.

Jonnymeg 10-11-2008 17:40

So lets say a customer signs up for a basic package but swaps his box out for a dodgy one to receive all channels.
Surley VM can detect that the original box is no longer connected? It has a modem that has a mac address that will contact the servers for a IP address. If that box fails to connect over time then their should be a major clue.

Am i right?

BenMcr 10-11-2008 18:07

Not really. What happens if someone goes away on holiday for six months and turns the STB off? Should Virgin automatically assume something dodgy is going on?

XFS03 10-11-2008 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnymeg (Post 34672574)
So lets say a customer signs up for a basic package but swaps his box out for a dodgy one to receive all channels.
Surley VM can detect that the original box is no longer connected? It has a modem that has a mac address that will contact the servers for a IP address. If that box fails to connect over time then their should be a major clue.

Am i right?

You are right, but that's not how a dodgy box would be connected. ;)

sollp 10-11-2008 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34672421)
No me neither Toto heck we haven't even got the space to put violent offenders behinds bars

Well if Maggie Thatcher was still in charge, she would have sorted them out.;)

Maggy 10-11-2008 21:35

Let's not get too off topic please

I'm still not clear about this..Just what evidence does someone phoning VM on this new telephone number to report a dodgy illegal user have to provide for VM to be able to pursue the matter and gain a prosecution?

dev 10-11-2008 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 34672590)
Not really. What happens if someone goes away on holiday for six months and turns the STB off? Should Virgin automatically assume something dodgy is going on?

well then there would be no activity on their line then :p: He's saying there is activity on the line but not from the STB that they have on record for that one

Jonnymeg 10-11-2008 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFS03 (Post 34672642)
You are right, but that's not how a dodgy box would be connected. ;)

Not in every case but it would back up other evidence such as a report on the phone.

I think really there is little VM can do other than change their encryption system which would be financially prohibitive.
IMHO the ads are merely to show willing to the shareholders.

sollp 10-11-2008 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34672786)
Let's not get too off topic please

I'm still not clear about this..Just what evidence does someone phoning VM on this new telephone number to report a dodgy illegal user have to provide for VM to be able to pursue the matter and gain a prosecution?

Was meant to be a bit of a joke, poking a bit of fun...

SB_07 11-11-2008 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 34670261)
The point being, if your caught obtaining services fraudulantly you will not only be disconnected from VM ,but as an added deterent you would also be blacklisted from obtaining services from another provider. As they would also be doing it to another provider, so would make sense to make it difficult for these people to get a service from whatever provider.

So you're basically saying anyone who gets caught with a dodgy VM box would go on and rip sky off aswell....yeah ok.

eth01 11-11-2008 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 34672845)
Was meant to be a bit of a joke, poking a bit of fun...

:sleep:

icestar2 11-11-2008 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB_07 (Post 34672896)
So you're basically saying anyone who gets caught with a dodgy VM box would go on and rip sky off aswell....yeah ok.

It does not take to much of a leap to assume that someone willing to steal from one service would be willing to steal from another. Especially if their only going to be cut off if caught.

There's no real deterrent there when the only risk is being cut off.

Obvouisly this wouldnt be the case with all offenders but to have a blacklist accross the board would be more of a deterrent I think and be a more reasonable punishment for the crime in the first place.

AndyCambs 11-11-2008 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by icestar2 (Post 34673076)
It does not take to much of a leap to assume that someone willing to steal from one service would be willing to steal from another. Especially if their only going to be cut off if caught.

There's no real deterrent there when the only risk is being cut off.

Obvouisly this wouldnt be the case with all offenders but to have a blacklist accross the board would be more of a deterrent I think and be a more reasonable punishment for the crime in the first place.

Same thing happens with airlines - you get caught causing a disturbance on a flight, and the airline you are flying with will refuse to carry you, and inform all other airlines on the route you have been denied passage and the reasons why.

Maggy 11-11-2008 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34672786)

So nobody has an answer?

I'm wondering what constitutes proof when one considers that in the past the public have reported people doing this and VM have appeared to have done nothing and on some occasions have said there was not enough evidence.Surely they have to go on more than one persons 'hearsay' evidence?

Oh and to the person who seemed to think that I don't support the idea of VM actually getting firm about this what I actually want is that such offenders are to be arrested,placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten food...or even better, with their dodgy chipped boxes.;)

piggy 11-11-2008 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34673227)
So nobody has an answer?

I'm wondering what constitutes proof when one considers that in the past the public have reported people doing this and VM have appeared to have done nothing and on some occasions have said there was not enough evidence.Surely they have to go on more than one persons 'hearsay' evidence?

Oh and to the person who seemed to think that I don't support the idea of VM actually getting firm about this what I actually want is that such offenders are to be arrested,placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten food...or even better, with their dodgy chipped boxes.;)

the policy as far as i know is to ring the number and let the fraud dept deal with it

DerekRothwell 11-11-2008 22:29

My old grandmother, bless her, had a perfect cure for people who commited ANY crime - she would have people put to death for as much as dropping litter! Using illegal cables boxes would probably have brought back being hung drawn and quartered. :):)

Kaychsea 12-11-2008 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34673227)
So nobody has an answer?

I would have thought that if the name and address of the perp isn't on their billing list then they would be interested in having a closer look.

Ernie_C 12-11-2008 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekRothwell (Post 34673504)
My old grandmother, bless her, had a perfect cure for people who commited ANY crime - she would have people put to death for as much as dropping litter! Using illegal cables boxes would probably have brought back being hung drawn and quartered. :):)

The old values are still the best!

Richy99 12-11-2008 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaychsea (Post 34673706)
I would have thought that if the name and address of the perp isn't on their billing list then they would be interested in having a closer look.

quite a few would probably pay for the least amount of services but use a chipped box to get the whole package

gasdetector 12-11-2008 11:26

i have been given three addresses from the fraud department to check out following information received. All three are suspected of using illegal set top's and all are telephone only customers.So they'd better watch out cos i'm coming to get them:D

Rone 12-11-2008 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekRothwell (Post 34673504)

Agreed, hung drawn and quartering is worse than death. :D

AndyCambs 12-11-2008 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rone (Post 34673793)
Agreed, hung drawn and quartering is worse than death. :D

Sorry to be pedantic - but game is hung, people are hanged.

piggy 12-11-2008 13:03

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/189300.html

XFS03 12-11-2008 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasdetector (Post 34673780)
i have been given three addresses from the fraud department to check out following information received. All three are suspected of using illegal set top's and all are telephone only customers.So they'd better watch out cos i'm coming to get them:D

Interesting.

How do you actually "check out" a customers address for illegal STB's?

nutellajunkie 14-11-2008 11:47

good ad that.

Kymmy 14-11-2008 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 34673824)

Well illegal set-top box users are fair game ;)

supremus 14-11-2008 15:45

Virgin seem to roll out their anti-piracy adds every year around this time. Are there are lot of dodgy boxed being given away as stocking fillers? Either way, I read an article recently saying that no individual user has ever been successfully prosecuted for using a chipped box, only the people who sell them have, so aren't ads like this just a silly waste of money?

piggy 14-11-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremus (Post 34675415)
Virgin seem to roll out their anti-piracy adds every year around this time. Are there are lot of dodgy boxed being given away as stocking fillers? Either way, I read an article recently saying that no individual user has ever been successfully prosecuted for using a chipped box, only the people who sell them have, so aren't ads like this just a silly waste of money?

yes but sky is better!

supremus 14-11-2008 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 34675719)
yes but sky is better!

True. It's virtually piracy safe.

TheDaddy 15-11-2008 14:57

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34675283)
Well illegal set-top box users are fair game ;)

And I am well hung :cool:

Sigh I bring nothing to this thread

piggy 15-11-2008 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremus (Post 34675730)
True. It's virtually piracy safe.

not at all, do your home work...card sharing

Fatec 16-11-2008 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 34676549)

Which is very easy to get caught doing...

piggy 16-11-2008 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatec (Post 34676689)
Which is very easy to get caught doing...

indeed im not condoning any piracy im merely stating all systems have been hacked on one level or another, sky are a lot more proactive at closing the gaps.

BenMcr 16-11-2008 14:00

Thing is, I'm not sure how proactive cable could have been when there 3 different networks and 3 different software platforms

Until they merged and became Virgin Media, neither ntl or telewest seemed to particularly interesting to co-ordinating things

dgardner 22-11-2008 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadbandings (Post 34670219)
People who use this kit should be sent to prison and their homes blacklisted from ever receiving cable.

And i thought i was intolerant of criminals. :ninja: :sniper:
Throw away the keys for these bunch of wossnames

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:33

lets face it, it will cost vm millions to change there encryption system and not to mention change all set top boxes, my view is they can't afford to do this because if the hack is closed alot of ppl paying subscription will move to sky, because lets face it sky tv is much better and is worth the mone so vm will lose out. One HD channel on the vm network whats that about??

Kymmy 26-11-2008 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683614)
lets face it, it will cost vm millions to change there encryption system and not to mention change all set top boxes, my view is they can't afford to do this because if the hack is closed alot of ppl paying subscription will move to sky, because lets face it sky tv is much better and is worth the mone so vm will lose out. One HD channel on the vm network whats that about??

The encryption within the boxes is firmware/software so all it would cost them is the development costs of the new firmware, distribution would be as any new online upgrade..

What VM don;t seem to want to do is to pay the licence for the new encryption :(

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:40

Quote:

What VM don;t seem to want to do is to pay the licence for the new encryption :(
Thats a good thing, but they would loose alot of revenue, because ppl with hacked boxes do pay the minimum subscription, but if the hack is closed alot of ppl will cancel their subscription.

cimt 26-11-2008 14:49

It also loses them money... Would you be happy if you owned a company and people where obtaining your services illegaly? This meaning that you're losing profit.

funcard_4 26-11-2008 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34683637)
It also loses them money... Would you be happy if you owned a company and people where obtaining your services illegaly? This meaning that you're losing profit.

I wouldn't be happy but I will do something about it, vm ain't bothred.

VM don't make much profit on there TV service they probably make peanuts, however much of there profit is form there broadband and telephone service.
The reason why I feel vm don't want to invest in a new encryption system is because they feel its not worth the money.

Hugh 26-11-2008 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683642)

VM don't make much profit on there TV service they probably make peanuts, however much of there profit is form there broadband and telephone service.
The reason why I feel vm don't want to invest in a new encryption system is because they feel its not worth the money.

Is this a fact, or an assumption?

AndyCambs 26-11-2008 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34683699)

Or maybe even someone who doesn't want better encryption as they have a hacked box?

cimt 26-11-2008 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683642)

So why do you do it then? You'd hate it if you were losing profit, but you don't care when it's the otherway around?
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34683699)

I always thought it was the TV side that earned them the profit? I think I read it somewhere on here. Broadband in the UK isn't very good for profit or something? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?

funcard_4 26-11-2008 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34683727)
So why do you do it then? You'd hate it if you were losing profit, but you don't care when it's the otherway around?

I always thought it was the TV side that earned them the profit? I think I read it somewhere on here. Broadband in the UK isn't very good for profit or something? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?

I do it for educational purposes only.... If something goes wrong with my tv or broadband I can fix it myself without having to phone those donuts in india who don't have a clue. anything box or modem related i can fix good sence of satisfaction thats why I do it and it saves me a few bob. Andif your thinking I am not a trader.

Its all part of the rat race i'm afraid, VM don't care about you they just want your money.

joglynne 26-11-2008 16:56

Suspected fraud and money laundering ring raided - 25 November 2008

Quote:

The OYO business park in Hindmans Way, Dagenham, and addresses in East Ham, Ilford and Plaistow were raided by 24 officers last week.

Officers seized more than 4,000 set top boxes and £90,000 in cash. Five men were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud. A woman was arrested on suspicion of money laundering.
http://www.bdrecorder.co.uk/content/...A59%3A21%3A587

Chris 26-11-2008 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683732)
I do it for educational purposes only.... If something goes wrong with my tv or broadband I can fix it myself without having to phone those donuts in india who don't have a clue. anything box or modem related i can fix good sence of satisfaction thats why I do it and it saves me a few bob. Andif your thinking I am not a trader.

That's the biggest pile of self-justifying horse manure I've ever read.

Quote:

Its all part of the rat race i'm afraid, VM don't care about you they just want your money.
At least have the decency to admit you're a thief. The man down at the corner shop doesn't care about you either. He just wants your money. Do you nick newspapers and sweets off him?

funcard_4 26-11-2008 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34683751)
That's the biggest pile of self-justifying horse manure I've ever read.

At least have the decency to admit you're a thief. The man down at the corner shop doesn't care about you either. He just wants your money. Do you nick newspapers and sweets off him?

LOL, newspaper and sweets come on, VM is a multi million pound company I am not physically stealing anything of them, if VM wanted to put a stop to this they would of done it along time ago, but they are letting this happen, i bet even the vm techs are at it. When i moved into my new place I subscibed with vm the two tech came down and put one line into my house downstairs, I also wanted an extra connection upstairs so i paid them £30 and they happily sorted it out, if I went through the proper channels vm would of charged me alot more. Why pay £87 pm or what ever its is, whilst you can get it for free. I don't make money or anything from doing this, its for my benifit only.

Chris 26-11-2008 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683828)
LOL, newspaper and sweets come on, VM is a multi million pound company I am not physically stealing anything of them, if VM wanted to put a stop to this they would of done it along time ago, but they are letting this happen, i bet even the vm techs are at it. When i moved into my new place I subscibed with vm the two tech came down and put one line into my house downstairs, I also wanted an extra connection upstairs so i paid them £30 and they happily sorted it out, if I went through the proper channels vm would of charged me alot more. Why pay £87 pm or what ever its is, whilst you can get it for free.

Ah, the old 'victimless crime' fallacy. Well, if that's how you live with yourself, you'd best get on with it. Let's hope the company's abuse team don't catch up with you. That would be a real shame.

funcard_4 26-11-2008 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34683831)
Ah, the old 'victimless crime' fallacy. Well, if that's how you live with yourself, you'd best get on with it. Let's hope the company's abuse team don't catch up with you. That would be a real shame.

cheers, off to watch some free telly :p:

Chris 26-11-2008 18:44

Right. And I bet you're surfing with a cloned modem as well.

funcard_4 26-11-2008 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34683847)
Right. And I bet you're surfing with a cloned modem as well.

how you guess??? searching for some macs at the same time...20mb speed loving it, only £4.99pm not bad is it.

Chris 26-11-2008 18:48

Thieving **** are fairly predictable.

cimt 26-11-2008 18:53

These are reasons why prices can be high. If people actually paid for the proper service, they'd be able to lower the prices a bit. I can't see it happening, but it could happen.

funcard_4 26-11-2008 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34683860)
These are reasons why prices can be high. If people actually paid for the proper service, they'd be able to lower the prices a bit. I can't see it happening, but it could happen.

I dn't think this will ever happen, look at sky they have a secure system one that has never been hacked, but there prices are sky high.

Raistlin 26-11-2008 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcard_4 (Post 34683879)
I dn't think this will ever happen, look at sky they have a secure system one that has never been hacked, but there prices are sky high.

Their prices are a reflection of the going market rate for comparable services, which has been artificially inflated by the fact that the providers of those comparable services are being ripped off by theives.

cimt 26-11-2008 19:17

Look who owns Sky... Infact, you could get all the channels for free with Sky. A couple of years ago, a mate of mine had something that gave him the full list of channels for free. So it's not that secure, is it?

funcard_4 26-11-2008 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34683888)
Look who owns Sky... Infact, you could get all the channels for free with Sky. A couple of years ago, a mate of mine had something that gave him the full list of channels for free. So it's not that secure, is it?

I bet that was a dodgy VM box , and something tells me that you probably have one too. :dunce:

cimt 26-11-2008 19:23

Nope, it was a Sky box. And, no. I don't have a dodgy box.

Maggy 26-11-2008 19:26

Oh for goodness sakes will people please avail themselves of the ignore function..:rolleyes:

supremus 27-11-2008 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggy (Post 34676549)

I said "virtually". Do your home work. Card sharing systems are not generally available at your local car boot sale or from the dodgy bloke at the pub, and it requires a great deal of technical knowledge. Final conclusion: Sky is virtually piracy safe.

Back on topic: I heard the cable pirates took a bit of a hit today. Have VM finally sorted their piracy problems, or will this just be another 2-3 day break, before new software patches are implemented like last time? Any of our resident pirates got any comments?

Fatec 27-11-2008 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremus (Post 34684397)
I said "virtually". Do your home work. Card sharing systems are not generally available at your local car boot sale or from the dodgy bloke at the pub, and it requires a great deal of technical knowledge. Final conclusion: Sky is virtually piracy safe.

Back on topic: I heard the cable pirates took a bit of a hit today. Have VM finally sorted their piracy problems, or will this just be another 2-3 day break, before new software patches are implemented like last time? Any of our resident pirates got any comments?

You heard wrong, just another key change, boxes were up again within 1-2 hours.

XFS03 27-11-2008 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatec (Post 34684400)
You heard wrong, just another key change, boxes were up again within 1-2 hours.

It wasn't just another key change, it was similar to what happened earlier in the year when the dodgy boxes wouldn't autoupdate. It's a minor inconvenience, as the keys have to be entered manually every time they change.

No doubt a patch will bought out within a day to fix it, just like last time.

In the meantime, could you imagine the panic if they started rolling the keys, say, every hour.:D

supremus 27-11-2008 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFS03 (Post 34684694)
In the meantime, could you imagine the panic if they started rolling the keys, say, every hour.:D

Or better yet, implemented a system that wasn't completely and utterly compromised almost a decade ago. Sky doesn't have any of these problems, why can't VM move any aspect of their service into this decade?

Peil 27-11-2008 22:49

Yeah the downtime was minimal on this one - according to the guy sitting opposite me at work this evening.
Same old situation, the boxes go down, he's talking half of the town through how to update them and they are all running by the evening news as he's on his way in here.

If they really want to sort it, they really need to start pushing out a new system

cimt 27-11-2008 23:01

How often do these keys get changed? And long does it take for these boxes to start working again?

XFS03 27-11-2008 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34684738)
How often do these keys get changed? And long does it take for these boxes to start working again?

I'm not sure how often the keys change (once a week, once a fortnight?), but when they do, it is normally taken care of by the autoupdate software in the box. However, a few months ago (around April I think) VM managed to somehow bugger up the autoupdate software in the dodgy boxes so that they received incorrect keys, while legit boxes worked normally.

This meant that until someone produced a patch file, the dodgy boxes had to be updated manually every time the keys changed. I think it only took a couple of days until a fix was available.

It looks like VM have used the same method again today.