Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : watching catchup on the v6 box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706079)

bobna 22-02-2018 13:39

watching catchup on the v6 box

just a quick one really,
thinking of switching back to virgin as i will be moving soon and currently with sky for their fibre max broadband and t.v,
i've checked with various suppliers and would only get about 3mb at most, but.... the new property hasen't been enabled for fibre yet, half the street is, 2 doors away in fact, and just wondered if the catchup feature was streamed like on the old tivo boxes or can you download it as you can on the sky hd boxes so you can watch at your leisure and easily find it in your planner again if needed.
i need the fast broadband as i have 4 kids who suck the life out of my current pipe and wouldn't be able to manage with such slow speeds :(
many thanks

steve

muppetman11 22-02-2018 15:03

Re: watching catchup on the v6 box

Virgin streams it's On Demand.

BenMcr 22-02-2018 15:06

In the case of iPlayer (and Netflix / YouTube) the connections are fast enough to allow full quality streaming without the need to download it.

For other Virgin On Demand that uses different technology that doesn't currently use the broadband service anyway.

bobna 22-02-2018 17:49

thanks for the info, thought as much :( may have to keep the sky tv and just get bb and phone from virgin

jb66 22-02-2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobna (Post 35938062)
thanks for the info, thought as much :( may have to keep the sky tv and just get bb and phone from virgin

Why not just record what you want?

bobna 22-02-2018 19:39

because i may forget to set a record or not realise a show was on...... i much prefer the sky on demand

oliver1948uk 22-02-2018 19:48

Set a Tivo series link and you don't have to remember when it's on or even if a new series is starting. It will record it for you no hassle

bobna 22-02-2018 19:58

please re-read the #1 post................

spiderplant 22-02-2018 21:16

You can bookmark On Demand programmes to watch later

jb66 23-02-2018 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobna (Post 35938070)

'I've re-read It, what an odd way of doing things... Series link does what you need

OLD BOY 23-02-2018 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobna (Post 35938070)

Why not get Virgin Media broadband?

spiderplant 23-02-2018 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35938100)
Why not get Virgin Media broadband?

I think he's saying he can't get Sky Fibre at the new property, but can get VM.

I still don't understand the concern though. Why would you want to download On Demand, when you can watch it immediately?

ozsat 23-02-2018 08:44

It is streamed but you can watch it at your leisure - TiVo can also add catch-up programmes to your MyShows (planner).
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobna (Post 35938024)
... and just wondered if the catchup feature was streamed like on the old tivo boxes or can you download it as you can on the sky hd boxes so you can watch at your leisure and easily find it in your planner again if needed.

OLD BOY 23-02-2018 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35938104)
I think he's saying he can't get Sky Fibre at the new property, but can get VM.

I still don't understand the concern though. Why would you want to download On Demand, when you can watch it immediately?

I know, but I am still confused. He implies that he can't get a better speed than 3MB, which is why I suggested that he change his broadband to VM.

As for the downloading, I do understand this, because that's what you do with Sky, and then it is shown in your recordings list. The OP doesn't seem to appreciate that VM works differently and there is no need to download it.

If he wants it to appear in 'My Shows', he just needs to bookmark it, and it will appear there.I expect he wants that outcome so that he doesn't forget about the programme if he wants to watch it later.

RobboEdin 23-02-2018 11:33

With the Sky approach, does the downloaded On Demand material stay forever like a real recording or have to comply with On Demand watch windows, say 30 days?