Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   My job / future. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685805)

dilli-theclaw 22-02-2012 18:52

My job / future.

Well thats the problem isn't it...

What do I do now that I can't do what I used to. Which was security and before that warehouse.

Ideally I'd like to work in IT but the only qualifications I have I got a long time ago (NVQ and a levels).

So - I'm after career suggestions and suggestions / advice on how to get there.

Thank you :)

Dilli.

peanut 22-02-2012 19:19

Re: My job / future.

Shelf stacker - Just sign on...

Seriously, if I had to ask the same question, I think I'd go for IT but now that seems like a hard task as everyone's doing that now. So I'd be lost for ideas myself.

I think I would get as much info from a college and have a look at some courses to see if anything stands out and start from there.

Kymmy 22-02-2012 19:24

Firstly approach your job centre and see if they can offer or know of any free courses. Also go through all job vacancies and consider which jobs you could possibly do and if you need more training or not, if you need training approach the job centre again.

Other than that you could do a degree course and go for a total new career, Open Uni might be a starting point

dilli-theclaw 22-02-2012 19:27

The job centre told me they would help me when I've had my ESA assessment not before :(

Good idea with OU :)

TheDaddy 22-02-2012 19:39

I'd check with blind charities to see what help or grants are available for courses to.

budwieser 22-02-2012 20:36

How about looking into Teaching Mr T?
Maybe Teaching blind people as you`re familiar with braile etc.

Hugh 22-02-2012 20:48

You may know of these already, but just in case.

http://www.actionforblindpeople.org..../work/careers/

http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals..._training.aspx

dilli-theclaw 22-02-2012 21:00

Cheers all :tu:

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35386569)

Action for blind are coming out in a couple of weeks :tu:

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by budwieser (Post 35386560)
How about looking into Teaching Mr T?
Maybe Teaching blind people as you`re familiar with braile etc.

HHHmmm - never thought of being a teacher.

v0id 22-02-2012 21:14

Unless you've _at least_ 10 years experience and/or a Degree in an IT field, don't even bother trying for a [well paid] job in the IT industry.
Maybe look into going to university, you say you've got A levels and I'm sure you qualify for some sort of disabled student benefits

Hom3r 22-02-2012 21:54

I wanted a job in IT but so does everybody else so I looked elsewhere, and now waiting to see if I get my current temp job fulltime

Tim Deegan 22-02-2012 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35386468)
Well thats the problem isn't it...

What do I do now that I can't do what I used to. Which was security and before that warehouse.

Ideally I'd like to work in IT but the only qualifications I have I got a long time ago (NVQ and a levels).

So - I'm after career suggestions and suggestions / advice on how to get there.

Thank you :)

Dilli.

Do you need to start a career now, or could you get some qualifications first?

It's a shame you don't live another 10 miles south, because I actually know the person in Hertfordshire who is responsible for helping people with disabilities get qualifications and jobs.

There must be an equivalent in Bedfordshire.

dilli-theclaw 23-02-2012 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35386620)
Do you need to start a career now, or could you get some qualifications first?

It's a shame you don't live another 10 miles south, because I actually know the person in Hertfordshire who is responsible for helping people with disabilities get qualifications and jobs.

There must be an equivalent in Bedfordshire.

I suspect that anything I do will require re-trainig / qualifications. Except perhaps something involving M$ office as I can now use my PC without problems with the right software.

There are people (Non job centre) here that can help but the problem is nailing down exactly what it is I want to do. I still build / repair PC's but as I do it by touch I guess it's a problem for some people. Not people I know who don't care about that as long as it's all working when I'm done.

Thus far when I go for interviews you can see they have a problem with my cane.

So I need a 'hook' / something really good to offer them so they can move past what they see as the problem.

Ramrod 23-02-2012 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35386679)
So I need a 'hook' / something really good to offer them so they can move past what they see as the problem.

Get a formal qualification. Preferably a degree in IT. That would make an interviewer sit up and take notice of you.

Hugh 23-02-2012 10:06

As an employer, I would be more interested (especially in the Desktop / Server side) in hands-on experience (which dilli can refer to) and appropriate trade qualifications, rather than a degree.

Most public bodies will guarantee an interview to those who tick the "disability" box in the application form if they meet the other requirements.

dilli-theclaw 09-03-2012 17:16

Thank you all I now have a few more irons in the fire now :)