Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   TECHNETIX meter adaptor (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682689)

paulpaddison 12-11-2011 02:11

TECHNETIX meter adaptor

hi can any installers help me out please? i need to know what voltage and possibly the polarity of a power adaptor is for a TECHNETIX catv meter please

CambsTech 19-11-2011 00:30

Re: TECHNETIX meter adaptor

My mains adapter is a Ktec, 6.0v 2.0a.

I was told that my meter was worth £300 which is why they assign them to us instead of sell them, so much for that:)

Still it might not work after it reaches it's re-calibration date, which would have been back in 06 like the ebay advert says. The advert also says it's not tested, if the meter is not tested against a know signal source then you can’t work out what the real levels it’s showing are.

paulpaddison 19-11-2011 03:22

thanks :) i am just taking a chance to see if it works or not. i had a swires meter and my own tools when i left avonline a year or so back and just buy the bits off ebay to do extensions for local people cheaper than what virgin do. if the meter dont work i will just relist it on ebay just need a adaptor to get it charged up and check it out. might be planning on going back to work for virgin in the new year

LaineY 28-11-2011 19:08

Ain't it against Contract if the cable is not installed / extended by a VM Engineer?

I thought if an engineer turned up at your house and the cable / extension that has been run from the main omni or outside he could then refuse to do the work and let VM know that someone has been tampering with the lines and terminate the contract.

I may be wrong but i always thought it was the case.

CambsTech 29-11-2011 20:08

That might be the official line on things, but most installers would just check to see if the cables held a good signal and use them instead as it would be quicker.

If I had gone to the trouble of chasing cables or putting them under floorboards and the installer insisted on drilling fresh holes and stapling 6mm catv to the walls I'd cancel it myself:)

RB2004 30-11-2011 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaineY (Post 35336709)
Ain't it against Contract if the cable is not installed / extended by a VM Engineer?

I thought if an engineer turned up at your house and the cable / extension that has been run from the main omni or outside he could then refuse to do the work and let VM know that someone has been tampering with the lines and terminate the contract.

I may be wrong but i always thought it was the case.

Yes it is but in some people's cases they do a better job of the install than engineers, I completely rewired my install properly and added a hdu, used cable that exceeds vm spec and vm approved connectors... Was forced to in order to rectify my services due to repeated incompetent engineers refusing to acknowledge a problem now have perfect signals far better than any engineer achieved

Kwak 06-12-2011 11:53

Why not order the power supply form Technetix? They do a van charger and a mains one. (PS The meters are £225 each) It will run on for two months past the recalibration date then it will switch itself off. You would need to load the relevant channel plans for the area you are in.

paulpaddison 22-01-2012 23:16

thanks ;) its back on ebay i seen one go for 50 quid a week back so im going to see what happens. and as i was trained by and worked with avonline for telewest i know what they expect from there installs or extensions. most bits i buy off ebay like the current snap and seal connectors and the cable thanks all for your help with this meter problem :)