Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : The Shannara Chronicles (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702229)

General Maximus 25-01-2016 20:52

The Shannara Chronicles

http://www.mtv.com/shows/shannara

"Thousands of years after the fall of Humankind as we know it the Four Lands is in grave danger. The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of an unlikely trio: an Elvin Princess, a Human Rover & a Half-Elf"

I would describe as a kind of LOTR tv series for anyone who loves their fantasy. It is refreshing to see a fantasy series so well done as this. Very good special effects, a strong pool of acting talent and excellent sets and costumes. I was taken in from episode one and am praying it doesn't get cancelled. If nothing else there are babes in it :)

MetaWraith 27-01-2016 14:47

Re: The Shannara Chronicles

If this is based on Terry Brook's novels then there is certainly scope for several series :¬)

General Maximus 27-01-2016 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetaWraith (Post 35819113)
If this is based on Terry Brook's novels

it is

techguyone 27-01-2016 18:28

It's pretty good, although things like modern footwear & if it's 1,000's of years since the fall of humankind,the amount of man relics showing are implausible and would have long decayed to dust & things like the car rear seat being used as a couch in someones treehouse would not exist...

That said, it's quite enjoyable.

General Maximus 27-01-2016 19:19

that is a testament to how good it is then because all your points are perfectly but I didn't even notice them/think about it until you mentioned it because I was so engrossed with the story and what was going on. In contrast, I watched something a couple of weeks ago (can't even remember what it was) and I was annoyed with myself because I was so bored/unengrossed (I know it isn't a word) that I was picking it to bits in my head as I was watching it and noticed so many things that were wrong it was unreal and I have never done that before.

Tezcatlipoca 01-02-2016 20:52

This *looks* lovely, and it's nice to have a new fantasy series.

Shame about the quality of the writing and the majority of the cast, though...

General Maximus 01-02-2016 21:02

I am loving it. It gets better and better with each episode.

Tezcatlipoca 01-02-2016 21:15

Oh well. To each his own.

I think that the guy playing Wil is terrible, and the rest of the cast aren't much better apart from John Rhys-Davies and the always-awesome Manu Bennett (who try their best with what they're given).

I admit I love Eretria, though.

Last week's was especially poor, IMO.

Spoiler: 
Stuck-up Princess: No, Guard Captain, stop assaulting Dexter's Dad! I know he tried to rape me and everything, but leave him alone.

---

Dexter's Dad: Hey, Stuck-up Princess, I know I tried to rape you and everything, buy how about you untie me?

Stuck-up Princess: OK, no problem. I'm sure you will redeem your evil rapist ways by fighting that really badly realised demon to save your own skin.

General Maximus 01-02-2016 21:43

Manu Bennett is awesome. Have you seen Spartacus?

Tezcatlipoca 01-02-2016 23:38

Of course!

I keep waiting for Allanon to shout "Jupiter's c**k!" at the elves ;)

He was also great as Slade (Deathstroke) in Arrow.

General Maximus 02-02-2016 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca (Post 35819930)
I keep waiting for Allanon to shout "Jupiter's c**k!"

I loved it when he came out with that, it never got old. I watch Arrow as well. I am glad he is getting more mainstream/primetime rolls and I hope he gets a chance at a big movie. I think he could be the next Denzel Washington.

alferret 03-02-2016 18:43

Tried it didn't like it.

General Maximus 03-02-2016 19:44

shame. It might not be the strongest acting performance or storylines you have ever seen but they are definitely good enough to carry it so we can keep watching the babes.

General Maximus 03-03-2016 19:38

I must say I am a bit sad season 1 is already over and done with. I appreciate there are budget constraints but I would have gladly have seen the 10 eps stretched out over a 22 episode season because there is quite a lot of stuff they got through/did way too quickly. There a couple of little niggles with it but I am not going to say anything because it is so good compared to other series Legends of Tomorrow.

General Maximus 26-08-2017 17:17

Season 2 returns on 11th October. I have updated the fall tv schedule thread.