Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Some BBC channels dead on Freesat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704917)

Chris 21-05-2017 14:56

Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

Possibly also affecting Sky.

I am missing BBC One Scotland HD, BBC2 HD, BBC Four HD, CBBC HD, CBeebies HD and BBC News HD.

These don't all appear to be on the same Mux so I'm wondering if it's an uplink problem rather than the satellite? I don't know, I'm guessing, not being an expert. Anyone got any info?

nashville 21-05-2017 20:27

Re: Some BBC channels dead on Freesat

Not sure what is happening but my channels on Freesat are all ok in Rutherglen

Chris 21-05-2017 22:45

Thanks Nash that's very helpful. Guess I need to try to factory reset my box.

nashville 22-05-2017 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35899801)
Thanks Nash that's very helpful. Guess I need to try to factory reset my box.

Cheers

Chris 22-05-2017 09:09

One factory reset and all my BBC HD channels are back. Weird.

nashville 22-05-2017 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35899830)
One factory reset and all my BBC HD channels are back. Weird.

Glad to hear you have your channels back ;)

Chris 22-05-2017 21:05

They disappeared again this evening. I think my box is dying. I think it's 6-7 years old so I can't complain I suppose.

nashville 22-05-2017 21:53

I have had my box for quite a while too, I was thinking of upgrading my box to one that has catch up etc, I noticed that Freesat were giving 15% discount but not sure if the offer is still on, Let me know if you get one,

denphone 22-05-2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35899929)
They disappeared again this evening. I think my box is dying. I think it's 6-7 years old so I can't complain I suppose.

6 to 7 years is pretty good as the average is about 5.

Chris 23-05-2017 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35899941)
I have had my box for quite a while too, I was thinking of upgrading my box to one that has catch up etc, I noticed that Freesat were giving 15% discount but not sure if the offer is still on, Let me know if you get one,

I have my eye on a Humax HDR 1100S which has a Terabyte hard drive (lots of storage for recording programmes) and has seven day catch up built in to the EPG, which means you can access iplayer content from the last week by looking at your programme guide. It's selling for £217 in most places at the moment.

To get the most out of a box that can record stuff you need two cables run from your satellite dish to your living room (although the box should perform reasonably well with just one).

I will see if my current box "loses" my BBC HD channels again between now and tomorrow evening, and if it does I will probably buy the Humax. The kids are starting to complain that they're coming in from school and the thing hasn't recorded stuff they wanted off CBBC HD.

nashville 23-05-2017 12:22

I did not realise you might need two cables, I thought it might be a matter of just changing boxes, Hear how you get on if you change,

Chris 23-05-2017 12:33

Yes - a satellite box isn't like terrestrial freeview. You can't just split the cable and share the signal (well not exactly). For a box with two tuners to work correctly, each tuner needs its own cable, and each cable needs its own terminal on the LNB (the box attached to the arm on your satellite dish). It's an easy job for an installer, but unless you have a head for heights and you know what you're doing, you do need an installer to do it.

That said, any half decent Freesat HDR box should function with only one cable. It will however be slightly limited, and if you try to watch and record certain combinations of channels they won't work, because of the way the box needs to control the LNB.

nashville 23-05-2017 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35900044)
Yes - a satellite box isn't like terrestrial freeview. You can't just split the cable and share the signal (well not exactly). For a box with two tuners to work correctly, each tuner needs its own cable, and each cable needs its own terminal on the LNB (the box attached to the arm on your satellite dish). It's an easy job for an installer, but unless you have a head for heights and you know what you're doing, you do need an installer to do it.

That said, any half decent Freesat HDR box should function with only one cable. It will however be slightly limited, and if you try to watch and record certain combinations of channels they won't work, because of the way the box needs to control the LNB.

Think I will stick with my old box for awhile. I would not like to pay for a box that doesn't do what I want it to do. ;)

heero_yuy 23-05-2017 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35900091)
Think I will stick with my old box for awhile. I would not like to pay for a box that doesn't do what I want it to do. ;)

If it aint broke, don't fix it. :D

nashville 23-05-2017 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35900119)
If it aint broke, don't fix it. :D

So True ;)