Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686312)

Rob King 14-03-2012 01:18

Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

found this tonight

We use traffic management on our cable network to ensure the vast majority of our customers receive the high quality of service they expect. As part of the speed doubling programme, you'll enjoy faster speeds alongside increased peak time allowances enabling you to get even more out of your services. With significant additional investment being put into our network, we will be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible. To that end, we've started a STM trial in Preston and Selly Oak (Birmingham) this week that will last for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...k/td-p/1091963

broadbandking 14-03-2012 09:31

Re: Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

I expected the STM to change with the new speeds, but would like to know what the limits are but I got to wait till July for my upgrade so they should have decided by then what limits they will STM people.

General Maximus 14-03-2012 11:35

tbh, I would expect them to be proportional with the current tiers and one thing I would be looking at is does usage increase with speed. I can't be arsed to look up the current limits so as an example:

If a user is on 10mbit with an stm of 1.5gb and downloads 2gb on average per day. When he gets doubled the stm will be 3gb and assume 4gb per day.

I think it is fair atm to double the stm limits but i would love to know who usage patternc change. I can honestly say I dont download any more now on 100mbit than I did on 50mbit but some people will be stuck on the lower tiers due to financial constraints and if a family with teenagers know their speed is being increased I can see them taking advantage of it.

craigj2k12 14-03-2012 12:04

the STM limits will probably change differently as the latest rumour I heard was that protocol management was going out the window and they were bringing in STM for all packages

BenMcr 14-03-2012 12:14

P2P and Newsgroups management isn't going

craigj2k12 14-03-2012 12:19

oh.... it was ignition who said it and said about "traffic management v2"

I thought there were new ofcom rules about traffic management and that was why they had to change it?

General Maximus 14-03-2012 12:35

long term it will be going but I was thinking of what they were going to do in the short term. I was expecting stm to be introduced to 100mbit if they are banging everyone on 50mbit up as well but I hope it is generous. 30gb is nothing these days but it is less than 1 hour of downloading so I would expect that to be a limit if they were going to introduce one.

Chrysalis 14-03-2012 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35399079)
oh.... it was ignition who said it and said about "traffic management v2"

I thought there were new ofcom rules about traffic management and that was why they had to change it?

they havent banned protocol management they just said it needs to be moderate only.

personally I hope what ignition said is true and VM adopt comcast style management, but I suspect VM have abandoned the idea and plan to just increase STM limits.

pabscars 14-03-2012 12:55

I don't think VM should put limits on anything, traffic management should just be utilisation based imo, therfore if your on a low utilised part of the network then you should never see STM apart from newsgroups and P2P restrictions of course.

I think it's a positive step that VM are maybe taking quality seriously for once, so good on them if that's the case.

Sirius 14-03-2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35399074)

Considering anyone with an ounce of knowledge knows how to circumnavigate it there does not seem a point in it continuing

qasdfdsaq 14-03-2012 13:46

But not everyone has an ounce of knowledge.

Chrysalis 14-03-2012 15:10

I think most people have enough knowledge, even torrent programs have options specifically labeled to evade shaping.

The future is something that isnt protocol sensitive. Protocol management is flawed.

Of course I agree with comments that ideally there should be no management, but VM are not in the business of selling limited use connections for higher prices, so there will always be some form of management at least for the forseeable future.

Ignitionnet 14-03-2012 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35399074)

The Allot kit isn't getting reconfigured with subscriber awareness based around IPDR records along with CMTS polling to allow it to manage based on individual subscriber usage and port load?

keepitretro 14-03-2012 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35399398)
The Allot kit isn't getting reconfigured with subscriber awareness based around IPDR records along with CMTS polling to allow it to manage based on individual subscriber usage and port load?

is or isn't???????

craigj2k12 14-03-2012 19:03

*sarcasm* hint hint