Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The iPhone thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33620888)

Damien 13-09-2007 12:58

The iPhone thread

Apple are holding another event next tuesday. In the Apple store in London. Since it's taking place in the UK it is likely to be UK-Only information. The only thing it could really be is the iPhone.

So it looks like we'll have UK information, including carrier (hopefully O2), and price next week.

xspeedyx 13-09-2007 13:04

Re: iPhone UK Release info

sweet

punky 13-09-2007 13:06

Which links up nicely with the fact the iPhone has been completely unlocked via software, so it isn't tied to a carrier or Apple-approved software :)

handyman 13-09-2007 13:40

Sweet, Was just about to go upgrade my phone as I'd been delaying it waiting for the iphone and got bored. I'll wait and see what this is all about. Hopefully the press call to the bbc offices in London last week to watch the US launch of the new ipods also included them being issued with review units of a UK iphone.

Just spotted this on Gizmodo's US site
Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmodo
Apple UK is holding a press event next tuesday at their Regent St. headquarters. "Mum is no longer the word" they say in the invite, so I guess now we can talk about O2's iPhone deal in the open

bopdude 13-09-2007 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34395349)
Which links up nicely with the fact the iPhone has been completely unlocked via software, so it isn't tied to a carrier or Apple-approved software :)

Unlocked ? Is that by Apple or are you talking about modding it ? Link please :)

handyman 13-09-2007 14:47

Iphone unlock

punky 13-09-2007 14:54

Here's the link I was going off of: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09...ed_w_software/

But looks very similar to HM's. There's going to be a free, GUI app to completely unlock the iPhone soon, or you can unlock it for free, using software now.

Divx on iPhone, also possibly FreeBSD apps, makes the iPhone seem a whole lot more attractive.

TheBlueRaja 13-09-2007 15:04

Hmm, im not so sure about the iPhone, looks like a lot of hype for a unit that is functionally retarded.

Looks cool though, i think that's more its selling point.

Damien 13-09-2007 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34395435)
Here's the link I was going off of: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09...ed_w_software/

But looks very similar to HM's. There's going to be a free, GUI app to completely unlock the iPhone soon, or you can unlock it for free, using software now.

Divx on iPhone, also possibly FreeBSD apps, makes the iPhone seem a whole lot more attractive.

Indeed, Have to wonder why Apple dont go all out and make it more like a PDA while opening up the iPhone for developers.

punky 13-09-2007 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34395457)
Indeed, Have to wonder why Apple dont go all out and make it more like a PDA while opening up the iPhone for developers.

Because it goes against Steve Job's ethos and his vision for IT.

Its not about making it a PDA per se, its about making the device consistent with fair use. You pay a lot of money for it, why shouldn't you be able to watch Divx movies on it, just Apple have produced Quicktime? Why be stuck with just stock quotes and weather forecasts and javascript applications?

And now developers have riled against Jobs on this: http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/0...pers_lock_out/

You can't rely on Apple producing every bit of software that users will need (say like a wifi sniffer) and with Apple keeping rigid control on kernel-mode apps, its extremely anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Put it this way, would Apple produce a wifi sniffer plugin, when that would discourage GPRS use and anger AT&T?

handyman 13-09-2007 15:47

Just had a loose confirmation from O2 that it should be free on £50+ tarrifs. They are not taking pre orders and are unable to confirm exact pricing. (I should not that they are also unable to confirm if O2 actually have it).

They did say that O2 did pander to Apple when they put the bid in (and it was a very strong bid) and they will be splitting the tarrif charge.

punky 13-09-2007 15:49

I hope O2 follow AT&T and offer decent Internet rates than the ones they are offering at the moment.

Having said they, if they do, i'd probably get the Orbit... As its flexible and I won't need to have a running battle with Steve Jobs's ego in a PSP vs homebrew style battle where Apple keep trying to block unlocking/homebrew attempts.

bopdude 13-09-2007 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34395479)
I hope O2 follow AT&T and offer decent Internet rates than the ones they are offering at the moment.

Having said they, if they do, i'd probably get the Orbit... As its flexible and I won't need to have a running battle with Steve Jobs's ego in a PSP vs homebrew style battle where Apple keep trying to block unlocking/homebrew attempts.

The internet access is going to be the deciding factor on whether I upgrade at all. I'll be getting a company phone very soon so might switch from O2 phone to Vodafone's data card................ we'll see :shrug:

Thanks for the links all :tu:

Tezcatlipoca 14-09-2007 00:21

O2's data prices are awful. Doubt they'd change them for the iPhone.

Re. the unlock -

As mentioned by Gavin, beware new firmware...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/beware/th...igh-299224.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/shoptalk/...pps-298989.php

I'm just gonna get an N95 I think...

bopdude 15-09-2007 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34395808)
O2's data prices are awful. Doubt they'd change them for the iPhone.

Re. the unlock -

As mentioned by Gavin, beware new firmware...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/beware/th...igh-299224.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/shoptalk/...pps-298989.php

I'm just gonna get an N95 I think...

I've been looking at the N95, nice looking PDA, thing is, I've been spoilt IMHO, I've had the XDA range through to the EXEC, haven't got that anymore but still have 2 XDA II 's, what do I upgrade too :shrug: It's going to have to be all singing, all dancing, more so than what I have already or what's the point ? I'll just be tying myself to another 12 - 18 month contract phone that does what mine do already :( The 1st of October is now D-Day ( do or don't day :D )

Damien 15-09-2007 17:32

It all depends on the data rates for me. If they do the free data rates on the contract like they do in America it would be cool. I imagine Apple would have pushed for it to make the iPhone actually work...

bopdude 15-09-2007 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34396798)
It all depends on the data rates for me. If they do the free data rates on the contract like they do in America it would be cool. I imagine Apple would have pushed for it to make the iPhone actually work...

I can't see it, as Matt says, O2's data rates are way to expensive, that was one reason, well, the main reason I got rid of the EXEC and went back to the II and IIi, the page size on the EXEC was coming in at about 200 kb per page, compared to about 16 kb per page on the II 's, that was the difference between the QVGA & VGA screens AFAIK. So as you can imagine, the bills soon got sky high :(

Damien 15-09-2007 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopdude (Post 34396806)
I can't see it, as Matt says, O2's data rates are way to expensive, that was one reason, well, the main reason I got rid of the EXEC and went back to the II and IIi, the page size on the EXEC was coming in at about 200 kb per page, compared to about 16 kb per page on the II 's, that was the difference between the QVGA & VGA screens AFAIK. So as you can imagine, the bills soon got sky high :(

Yes but data is what the iPhone is all about, it is completely useless for half more of its features if datas expensive. Apple will want to sell a lot of iPhones as will O2. They need cheap data rates to do that...

bopdude 15-09-2007 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34396813)
Yes but data is what the iPhone is all about, it is completely useless for half more of its features if datas expensive. Apple will want to sell a lot of iPhones as will O2. They need cheap data rates to do that...

If they do lower the rates, or make it a flat Vodafone stylee web 'n' walk type package, then I think it will sway a lot of peoples opinions when it comes to upgrade time :tu:

Damien 15-09-2007 19:25

Indeed, the only way a iPhone will appeal to me is if the data is free/flat rate (obviously with a higher priced contract).

Damien 18-09-2007 10:08

iPhone is on O2. Will be released on November the 9th costing £269 at 8GB

punky 18-09-2007 10:15

Latest article here: http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2973546.ece

Damien 18-09-2007 10:16

"isual Voicemail is enabled! Unlimited data with £35, 45, 55 plans" !!! Unlimited Data!! :D

punky 18-09-2007 10:19

I'd love to think those tariffs are available on other phones, but I can't see it :(

Damien 18-09-2007 10:45

Nope, Apple properly forced it on them. It's also not 3G

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

It will be on over phones!

Q: Unlimited data packages: will those go to other contracts as well?

Matthew: "On 1st October we'll be rolling those out for all out customers."
Steve: "it's the future."

handyman 18-09-2007 10:51

Might head over and try reserve one. :-)

Damien 18-09-2007 11:02

I am on a 12 month 02 contact that ends in March, think they'll let me upgrade in Novermber :S

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398449)
"isual Voicemail is enabled! Unlimited data with £35, 45, 55 plans" !!! Unlimited Data!! :D

Yeah yeah - the great unlimited swindle again....

No doubt there will be a FUP involved...

Chris 18-09-2007 11:16

Well, not that I can afford one right at the moment, but O2's network is useless in and around my house so I won't be getting one. :sulk:

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:18

From the O2 website - * Fair usage policy applies

LOL! Let's have a look at their "unlimited" offering shall we....

Damien 18-09-2007 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398494)
Yeah yeah - the great unlimited swindle again....

No doubt there will be a FUP involved...

Yes there is. But I think you'll be hard pushed to go over it on a iPhone

Chris 18-09-2007 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398499)

Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?

Damien 18-09-2007 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398504)
Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?

Apple say its battery, more likely its like of 3G in America and the added price....

Hugh 18-09-2007 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398504)

According to Tim Cook, Apple COO (back in March 07)
Pocketpicks
"Our thinking was first and foremost that we wanted GSM because GSM was the world standard and that was one of the factors in the selection of Cingular. Secondly, the product as we announced it has wireless capabilities. Many people, like in this room, have access to WiFi, including this room, home, where you have coffee. Between this spots we are going to use 2.5G because it’s widely deployed. We’re confident that it will give the user a great experience.”

Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me - Edge is so much slower than 3G HSDPA.

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398499)

Yeah yeah - a few MP3's, 50 emails and and a few internetweb browses and it'll tip it over ....you just watch this space come December when the first bills arrive on customer doorsteps...

punky 18-09-2007 11:45

I wonder if they will come in boxes like the US iPhones :) Over 300 pages of $0.00 itemised GPRS charges per month :)

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 11:45

Apple launches £269 iPhone in the UK -> IT Pro

Quote:

"All price plans will have unlimited data, on wireless hotspots, GPRS and Edge" said Key, moving quickly to address concerns over high data bills that have emerged during early use in the US. The data service does have a fair usage policy, which Key would not go into specifics on.
That's because they are hiding something...it's the most important piece of info I require when entering into a new contract.

handyman 18-09-2007 13:05

Full tariff information on Carfonewarehouse site

punky 18-09-2007 13:10

Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?

Chris 18-09-2007 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34398572)
Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?

I assume that relates to the 'unlimited' access to O2's own WiFi network, which is part of the bundle.

handyman 18-09-2007 13:47

The are using 'the cloud' for wi-fi.

I would expect a 1gb data with perhaps a 1gb wifi fair use policy.

Damien 18-09-2007 14:11

for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398615)
for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....

Says who? :erm:

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!

Hugh 18-09-2007 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398635)

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!

The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......

LSainsbury 18-09-2007 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34398637)
The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......

LOL!!! I didn't mean that kinda stuff....but what if I wanted to download 30 MP3 albums and a couple of videos...

Damien 18-09-2007 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398635)

iPhone has a web browser and a e-mail client. What do you think you can donwload onto it?

SMHarman 18-09-2007 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398461)
Nope, Apple properly forced it on them. It's also not 3G.

Which if you are used to 3G will be like going back to dial up for your mobile internet.
The frustration of seeing how googlemaps works on my k800i in the UK and over here in the US (where its 3G capabilities will never work as they are on the wrong frequencies)

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34398645)
LOL!!! I didn't mean that kinda stuff....but what if I wanted to download 30 MP3 albums and a couple of videos...

If you have bought them from the iTunes store then I would be pretty sure that will not impact your other data use habits.

Shaun 18-09-2007 15:40

So let me get this right - the phone is £269 and you can't pay cash for it*. You then need to activate it through iTunes so need to create an account with that (via Debit/Credit card) and sign up for an 18 month contract. The contract costs from £35 and gives you 200 min and 200 texts** - a truly crap tariff.

Am I the only one that thing this a ridiculous price to pay for a phone? One that then won't work properly if you decide to take it else where or switch to PAYG.

* http://media.phonehouse.com/mediaser...7&ver=1&RD=YES

**This makes texts and calls cost 8p per min/text.

Chris 18-09-2007 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 34398661)
So let me get this right - the phone is £269 and you can't pay cash for it*. You then need to activate it through iTunes so need to create an account with that (via Debit/Credit card) and sign up for an 18 month contract. The contract costs from £35 and gives you 200 min and 200 texts** - a truly crap tariff.

Am I the only one that thing this a ridiculous price to pay for a phone? One that then won't work properly if you decide to take it else where or switch to PAYG.

* http://media.phonehouse.com/mediaser...7&ver=1&RD=YES

**This makes texts and calls cost 8p per min/text.

Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads. I don't know how you would factor that in as I'm not any kind of expert on mobiles (mine doesn't even have a camera, wap or MMS, and I like it that way!) but if you're going to postulate a nominal cost for calls and texts, you have to spread the subscription charge across everything it buys you, not just bits of it.

As for the functionality not working if you port the number or switch to PAYG - you're signing up for an 18-month tariff so presumably that's not going to be an issue for some time. I will be extremely surprised if O2's exclusive deal with Apple is indefinite. I'd expect within a year or so to see it released to the other networks as well. Once the early adopter flurry is over, it is certainly not in Apple's interests to limit distribution, or the usefulness of the handset, in this way.

Once the handset is released from the initial 18-month contract it may also prove to be illegal under EU law to prevent its use on another network in any case.

Shaun 18-09-2007 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398664)
Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads.

Well if you want to look at it like that then they're charging a lot for data. They do a £35 tariff online that gives you 600 min and 500 tests - you're loosing 700 units (assuming both are weighted equally). That equates to ~£22 a month for data. :erm:

Quote:

I don't know how you would factor that in as I'm not any kind of expert on mobiles (mine doesn't even have a camera, wap or MMS, and I like it that way!) but if you're going to postulate a nominal cost for calls and texts, you have to spread the subscription charge across everything it buys you, not just bits of it.
If you're working backwards from their "normal" £35 tariff you're paying ~3p per min/text but then paying £22 a month for data. Or if you take out the data from the package and assume they're throwing it in for free then the unit cost jumps to ~8p.

Quote:

As for the functionality not working if you port the number or switch to PAYG - you're signing up for an 18-month tariff so presumably that's not going to be an issue for some time.
I like the be able to put another sim in my phone for various reasons. If I'm going abroad, I'm with friend and their battery dies or if I want a free ticket on Orange Wednesdays. I also like the fact that if my provider ups the cost of the package I'm on I can switch with very little hassle. Not possible with the iphone. :(

Quote:

I will be extremely surprised if O2's exclusive deal with Apple is indefinite. I'd expect within a year or so to see it released to the other networks as well. Once the early adopter flurry is over, it is certainly not in Apple's interests to limit distribution, or the usefulness of the handset, in this way.
But you've got to agree the price with drop when this happens, which backs up my point - it's an extortionate price to pay for the latest gadget.

Quote:

Once the handset is released from the initial 18-month contract it may also prove to be illegal under EU law to prevent its use on another network in any case.
But if they don't have the technology on the network many of the features won't work. :)

SMHarman 18-09-2007 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 34398677)
Well if you want to look at it like that then they're charging a lot for data. They do a £35 tariff online that gives you 600 min and 500 tests - you're loosing 700 units (assuming both are weighted equally). That equates to ~£22 a month for data. :erm:

£0.75p / Mb means they budget 1Mb a day of data use.
This is also GPRS data not 3G data which is more bandwith intensive.

zing_deleted 18-09-2007 18:27

I personally think the phone looks naff. I think having to have iTunes is worse than naff. I think the whole thing is bobbins but Bop if you upgrade sell me an xda lol

Cerberus 19-09-2007 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34398489)
I am on a 12 month 02 contact that ends in March, think they'll let me upgrade in Novermber :S

As I work for O2 I can answer this.

Yes they will. Another part of the Apple deal so I am told. It's to be offered to all customers. More so if they upgraded recently, they will have the opportunity to upgrade to the iPhone as soon as it becomes available.

mrmistoffelees 19-09-2007 15:11

A case of style over substance in my (humble) opinion

2mp Camera with no zoom or flash, no 3G connectivity.

There are better devices about for less.

Whats this I hear about O2 being so desperate to get the deal they agreed to give Apple 40% of the profits ??

Cerberus 19-09-2007 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34399257)
Whats this I hear about O2 being so desperate to get the deal they agreed to give Apple 40% of the profits ??

That was a clause included by apple for all the UK networks who wanted to supply the iPod. They did the same to AT&T in the US.

The reason they chose us, was due to the fact that we are number 1 for customer service in the UK, out of all the other mobile networks.

Shaun 19-09-2007 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 34399308)
The reason they chose us, was due to the fact that we are number 1 for customer service in the UK, out of all the other mobile networks.

No much of an acolade after dealing with T-Mobile and Orange :)

As for the price coming down it look slike it's a five year deal!

Quote:

But how much is O2 paying for its five-year exclusive, and can it really make any money out of it?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...phone_at_last/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34398664)
Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads.

But no by much Chris - they look like they make about 60p per month from data charges so by including them they're still making the deal look really bad.

Quote:

Around 30 per cent of O2's ARPU comes from data, but only 2.6 per cent of that is data as we would understand it - the rest is SMS traffic which is unlikely to change significantly for iPhone users (though the inability to send to multiple recipients, or type messages one-handed, might reduce traffic). So O2 stands to lose at least 60 pence in data charges per month, per iPhone user.

The iPhone doesn't support MMS
(Multimedia Messaging Service), but O2 users only send an average of half a message a month, so assuming the iPhone user would also have received half an MMS per month, that's another 45 pence off the ARPU.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Register reader
So that's 279, then [£]35*18 [months], for a total of over 900 quid.

For that you could get yourself a Nokia N95 on a 12 month Flext35 contract, with double the included minutes, and unlimited 1.4mbit 3.5G.

What's more, you'd still have enough left to buy an 8GB iPod Nano. And an entire PC

Does look liek one great big rip off :(

I'd love one but I just can't justify being ripped off like that. Hopefuly the sales will be slow when people realize hoe bad a rip of it is. It's just really bad value for money. :(

Cerberus 19-09-2007 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 34399313)
No much of an acolade after dealing with T-Mobile and Orange :)

Or even 3 & Voda for that matter. It's a fact that we are number 1 with T-Mobile hot on our heels.

I personally think the iPhone is a nice handset. However, my money is on Nokia coming out with something special to give it some really healthy competition.

I am going to leave it a few months before I decide to get one, just to see where the land lies and also because I may get a 50% discount on tariff and handset.:p:

Chris 19-09-2007 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 34399308)
That was a clause included by apple for all the UK networks who wanted to supply the iPod. They did the same to AT&T in the US.

Sounds like you may have swallowed the internal PR line my friend. What was it, a 7am email from the CEO? ;)

Are you absolutely certain that the amount O2 was prepared to pay for the privilege had nothing whatsoever to do with it?

Cerberus 19-09-2007 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34399318)
Sounds like you may have swallowed the internal PR line my friend. What was it, a 7am email from the CEO? ;)

Are you absolutely certain that the amount O2 was prepared to pay for the privilege had nothing whatsoever to do with it?

It may have had a slight bearing on things. :blush:

Anyway, I don't care. All I can say is "We got the iPhone!"

Get it right round ye! :p::p::p::p::p:

mrmistoffelees 19-09-2007 17:51

I could not even if i wanted to justify one at those prices

LSainsbury 19-09-2007 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 34399322)
Anyway, I don't care. All I can say is "We got the iPhone!"

Get it right round ye! :p::p::p::p::p:

Well you can keep your pansy iPhone Apple fanboy - I'm sticking with my Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone.

Tezcatlipoca 21-09-2007 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34399257)
A case of style over substance in my (humble) opinion

2mp Camera with no zoom or flash, no 3G connectivity.

and no MMS, no custom ringtones (nope, gotta go to iTunes :rolleyes: ), and a really rather crappy looking tariff with a pretty poor no. of minutes & texts for the price you pay [still, you get "unlimited" data over slow ol' GPRS/EDGE].

Plus a pretty big up-front cost.

But, hey, it's got an "i" at the start of the name...

SMHarman 21-09-2007 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34399410)
Well you can keep your pansy iPhone Apple fanboy - I'm sticking with my Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone.

Don't even need to get that shiney and complex. A SE K810i more than keeps up with it and has MMS, 3G, plays AAC files but not protected ones (though you can transcode them back to unprotected), custom ringtones, push email, 3mp camera with flash.
and it has an i in it.

mrmistoffelees 21-09-2007 10:46

I'll stick with my Blackberry :D

Although I have been looking at the LG Prada, anyone got one ? If so, any good ?

handyman 21-09-2007 12:00

Just had a call from our local O2 shop and you can now pre-register for these on the O2 website.

bopdude 21-09-2007 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34398774)
I personally think the phone looks naff. I think having to have iTunes is worse than naff. I think the whole thing is bobbins but Bop if you upgrade sell me an xda lol

Got my XDA II sat in the draw doing nowt atm, it has a slight speaker problem in that on of the stems connecting it to the phones case has come away. A man of your means should be able to sort it out. Let me know if ya want it and I'll post it down. I would drop it in, but I'm flat out busy Monday till Friday...... Still, could make it a weekender :shrug: :D I owe ya a visit, just for another steak baguette, if nothing else ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34400486)
I'll stick with my Blackberry :D

Although I have been looking at the LG Prada, anyone got one ? If so, any good ?

I was looking at this as well, my niece has one, first impressions :shrug: 6 / 10

dragon 21-09-2007 22:45

I think the iphone is a rip off for the following reasons

1) no user changable battery, (I don't like that about modern mp3 players but on a phone?!!?!)

2) No 3g, these days on a phone that sports data features its essential and I don't believe JOB's arugement about battery life, So make the battery changable Simple NO?

3) Closed platform, (yes i know it can be hacked) who wants a smart phone that you cant install 3rd party apps for.

4) Cost its to expensive, Id much rather have a nice WM or Sybmian based phone which would have more features, better expandability and probably cheaper to.

SMHarman 23-09-2007 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34401011)
2) No 3g, these days on a phone that sports data features its essential and I don't believe JOB's arugement about battery life, So make the battery changable Simple NO?

This is more down to design for the US market. 3G is just not well rolled out here 2.75G EDGE has better coverage.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
and lets face it 2G has big holes, though not many people live in those holes
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
3G coverage is where business is that use blackberry etc. Look at New York for example, the only places in the state that have 3G are the City and the Hamptons where the bankers retreat for the weekend.
New Jersey. Well Elisabeth is where the Airport is, Newark is between there and NYC, JC has the Goldman Sachs office building and many companies DR sites. Long Branch, see the Hamptons, AC, see the Hamptons.
There are only 37 states on that list, some states have no 3G coverage at all, not even in their capital city.

Quote:

EDGE is AT&T's national wireless high-speed data network available in over 13,000 cities and towns and along nearly 40,000 miles of highway. All 3G compatible devices are also EDGE compatible providing the best combination of speed and coverage

dragon 23-09-2007 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 34401580)
This is more down to design for the US market. 3G is just not well rolled out here 2.75G EDGE has better coverage.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
and lets face it 2G has big holes, though not many people live in those holes
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
3G coverage is where business is that use blackberry etc. Look at New York for example, the only places in the state that have 3G are the City and the Hamptons where the bankers retreat for the weekend.
New Jersey. Well Elisabeth is where the Airport is, Newark is between there and NYC, JC has the Goldman Sachs office building and many companies DR sites. Long Branch, see the Hamptons, AC, see the Hamptons.
There are only 37 states on that list, some states have no 3G coverage at all, not even in their capital city.

Thats all very well for the american market but this is the UK market where edge coverage is prattically nil and 3G is is most towns/citys now.

Russ 23-09-2007 13:18

Think I'll stick with Maddox on this one.

Tezcatlipoca 23-09-2007 13:25

I've just Googled for Maddox' take on the iPhone. Very funny :rofl:

SMHarman 24-09-2007 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34401732)
I've just Googled for Maddox' take on the iPhone. Very funny :rofl:

ADMIN EDIT - (Russ) LINK REMOVED
For those that cannot be bothered to google, but funny.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34401723)
Thats all very well for the american market but this is the UK market where edge coverage is prattically nil and 3G is is most towns/citys now.

I concur, but Apple have decided to release a product designed for the US market into EMEA and EMEA has decided to bite not turn around and say bite me, send me the one with 3G.
I spent about 20 mins this afternoon showing a group of 10 year olds (don't ask) why a K800i is better than an iPhone.
So they agree, better camera, internet browser, can play music, runs google maps, google earth, plays videos, world clock, has a calculator (to take maddox's viewpoint) but in the end... But yeah that has a keyboard, the iPhone does not.
But the videophone functionality got a 'cool' just it won't work here because there is no network for it to work on... Go figure.

bopdude 24-09-2007 09:30

Mmmmm, all very confusing, on the one hand you have a ( phone ) that looks a million dollars ( no pun intended ) that has limitations abound.... but looks great :D That is gonna be a fortune to get your hands on £260 ish........ but looks great :D and will have limited net capabilities, even with *unlimited use tarrifs :( ....... but looks great :D

See where I'm going with this ? Just wondering how many of us are gonna buy into this just because of what it is, a big, black, shiny, toy ...........................

That looks great :D I'm on O2, due an upgrade on the 1st of November, 8 days before launch, I have all manner of phones and PDA's lying around the place, what do I upgrade to :shrug: there really is nothing else out there :( So, for me at least, it's looking like Iphone here I come :D .................... Did I mention it looks great :D :shrug:

punky 24-09-2007 10:12

Functionality should always come before looks.

There are a lot of decent smartphones out there now or soon to be released, like:

Glofiish (sic) x500
SE w960i
O2 Orbit / HTC P3300
Samsung i600

All of which are similar or better than the iPhone in various ways. All have the advantage of that as it has Windows Media or Symbian, you can freely add to the device with applications useful to you. You can't with the iPhone without a constant cat-and-mouse battle with Steve Job's ego. AJAX is Javascript based which as developers will tell you isn't the most powerful language out there. I wouldn't expect a Apple-approved VNC/SSH client or shell scripts.

There are a lot of good articles out there about the iPhone, this this being one of them.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Sorry missed this bit: Although those phones don't really add to what you've already got (or add little), I think you'll easily become weary of its limited applications.

handyman 24-09-2007 10:17

The flip side of it is whilst my xda can use loads and loads of 3rd party apps, most of the time they mess up the phone. I'm constantly resetting it and flashing it back to factory settings.

I've decided that I'm going to get a sony p1 and move to the iphone tariff, I think that since I'm not getting a subsidised phone (iphone) I should be able to move onto the iphone when the edge coverage is sorted round here. Of course if I sell the large contract I've been working on I might just get one anyway :-)

Tezcatlipoca 24-09-2007 18:17

Why not move to T-Mobile, & get unlimited data, but also get far more minutes & texts?

That's what I've done for my soon-to-arrive N95.

The O2 iPhone tariff is a joke.

Stephen 24-09-2007 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34402570)
Why not move to T-Mobile, & get unlimited data, but also get far more minutes & texts?

I also have the N95 on T-Mobile with their unlimited data. Its really great.

That fact the you need to get an 18month contract and data costs per month have really put me off the iphone.

dragon 24-09-2007 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34402570)

I have the WNW+ tarrif with the usb modem on t-mobile
its not unlimited its 3gb

Although I did just find out i also get unlimited use of their UK hotpots
300mins on the bt openzone Uk hotspots
and 300mins on t-mobile hotspots across europe and the USA :cool:

Looks like i'm sorted for wi-fi hotspots then :p:

Tezcatlipoca 24-09-2007 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthYoda (Post 34402700)
I also have the N95 on T-Mobile with their unlimited data. Its really great.

That fact the you need to get an 18month contract and data costs per month have really put me off the iphone.

Yeah, that & all the missing features ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34402712)
I have the WNW+ tarrif with the usb modem on t-mobile
its not unlimited its 3gb

Although I did just find out i also get unlimited use of their UK hotpots
300mins on the bt openzone Uk hotspots
and 300mins on t-mobile hotspots across europe and the USA :cool:

Looks like i'm sorted for wi-fi hotspots then :p:

OK, "unlimited (subject to FUP)" ;)

Anyone know what the actual usage limit will be for O2's "unlimited" data plan for the iPhone etc.?

Russ 24-09-2007 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34402736)
OK, "unlimited (subject to FUP)" ;)

Sorry to be pedantic but it's not even that ;)

The basic jobbie is £7.50 and has a cap at 1gb per month.

WnW Plus is £12.50 and is set at 3gb but you can use the phone as a modem and can use messenger

WnW Max is £20 (ish) and you get 10gb and allows all the above plus VoIP.

Tezcatlipoca 24-09-2007 23:19

LOL, I know.

I've gone for the standard WnW.

£7.50 for "unlimited" (1GB cap) is still better than £5 for 4MB or £10 "unlimited"* with O2.

And £37.5 for flext35 + WnW is still better value IMO than £35 O2 iPhone tariff with 200 mins + 200 texts + "unlimited" 2.5G data use.

EDIT: * Hmm, from looking at the O2 site, I'm not so sure about the alleged "£10 unlimited data bolt on"... the website clearly says you only get 20MB for £10/month... unless the "unlimited" bolt-on I was offered was solely a retentions offer.

dragon 24-09-2007 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34402750)
LOL, I know.

I've gone for the standard WnW.

£7.50 for "unlimited" (1GB cap) is still better than £5 for 4MB or £10 "unlimited" with O2.

And £37.5 for flext35 + WnW is still better value IMO than £35 O2 iPhone tariff with 200 mins + 200 texts + "unlimited" 2.5G data use.

do o2 actually have a uk edge network anyway?

Tezcatlipoca 24-09-2007 23:38

They're only just adding EDGE now, apparently:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...moves-to-edge/

jonifen 25-09-2007 01:16

To be honest, the iPhone is no better than many of the phones available already.
I personally would prefer an N95 than an iPhone... Infact, for what I can do on my K800i (with 2Gb M2 card), I'd sooner have that than the iPhone!

People will only buy it because "it has an Apple logo on it... it must be good!"

Like Matt D said... Why not go with a normal network and get a better deal. The iPhone deal on o2 is a complete rip-off. o2 are only doing the iPhone because they know that people will want it just because it has the same apple logo on it as their iPod.

Likewise I'd prefer a Creative Zen or even an MS Zune than an iPod. Why be restricted to Apple's formats (Quicktime etc) when there are alternatives which are fully DivX compatible without needing iTunes (POS software if ever I've seen it) to copy the stuff over.

dragon 25-09-2007 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonifen (Post 34402806)
To be honest, the iPhone is no better than many of the phones available already.
I personally would prefer an N95 than an iPhone... Infact, for what I can do on my K800i (with 2Gb M2 card), I'd sooner have that than the iPhone!

People will only buy it because "it has an Apple logo on it... it must be good!"

Like Matt D said... Why not go with a normal network and get a better deal. The iPhone deal on o2 is a complete rip-off. o2 are only doing the iPhone because they know that people will want it just because it has the same apple logo on it as their iPod.

Likewise I'd prefer a Creative Zen or even an MS Zune than an iPod. Why be restricted to Apple's formats (Quicktime etc) when there are alternatives which are fully DivX compatible without needing iTunes (POS software if ever I've seen it) to copy the stuff over.

I was tempted by an older ipod if i can find one with a decent battery
Probably because the rockbox firmware works on the older ones and then it becomes anything but limited when it comes to formats...
http://www.rockbox.org/

Installing EDGE seems a bit silly when theres HSDPA about which just leaves EDGE standing in terms of thoughput

Chris 25-09-2007 14:22

I have a 1st-gen iPod, bought less than 3 months after UK launch, and it still goes for 6 or 7 hours on a full charge. :D

But it's not for sale. :p:

SMHarman 25-09-2007 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 34403114)
I was tempted by an older ipod if i can find one with a decent battery

You just need to replace them. My 3G 40Gb iPod goes for a good 8+ hours on the new battery. Replacing it was not hard, the most difficult part was popping the case open with the plastic chopstick they supply.

punky 25-09-2007 18:47

Couple of important pieces of news:

iPhone update WILL brick unlocked phones.

and

Apple may break law over failing to honour unlocked phone's warrantees.

Tezcatlipoca 07-10-2007 23:26

And so, the fair usage limit for O2's iPhone tariff is....

200MB per month.

ROFL.

This fits with the new O2 data bolt-ons:

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/t...umerdatabolton

Quote:

O2 Web Bolt On gives you unlimited* browsing through your phone for £7.50 per month

O2 Web Max gives you unlimited* browsing with a data card for £30 per month

* A fair use of 200MB per month applies to the O2 Web Bolt On. A fair use of 3GB per month applies to O2 Web Max.

OK, so it's better than before (4MB for £5, 20MB for £10), but still a joke.

Hah.

£7.50 Web 'n' Walk with T-Mobile... 1GB per month.

£12.50 Web 'n' Walk Plus with T-Mobile... 3GB per month.

£22.50 (?) Web 'n' Walk Max with T-Mobile... 10GB per month.

I think even "3" have good data rates too.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Oh, & once your 18 month contract is up with O2, you have to *stay* with O2 on a month by month rolling contract if you want to continue using the iPhone as a phone.

bopdude 07-10-2007 23:30

Mmmmmm, all bad news, even before that, I had / have almost decided to go for the N95, not 100% sure yet, but sure enough that it won't be an Iphone, too many negatives and not enough possitives :(

Chris 08-10-2007 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34410148)
Oh, & once your 18 month contract is up with O2, you have to *stay* with O2 on a month by month rolling contract if you want to continue using the iPhone as a phone.

Do you have a link for that? I will not be remotely surprised if that clause turns out to be illegal. How can they justify selling you a phone and then locking you into an indefinite contract with a single operator in order for you to use it for its intended purpose?

Damien 08-10-2007 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34410529)
Do you have a link for that? I will not be remotely surprised if that clause turns out to be illegal. How can they justify selling you a phone and then locking you into an indefinite contract with a single operator in order for you to use it for its intended purpose?

O2 is the only network with the correct tech to run the services?

SMHarman 08-10-2007 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34410549)
O2 is the only network with the correct tech to run the services?

So you would lose visual voice mail, maybe using another network would be slower on the data as there would be no EDGE coverage but it is still just a GSM phone. As Chris T said in 18m time that phone is yours and you have the right to use it on any network you choose. You just need to pay o2 the twenty quid for the unlock code just like any other handset. Otherwise it is illegal.

Tezcatlipoca 08-10-2007 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34410529)

Ah... I really should've given a source... & also added "allegedly".

Info comes from someone at the DS forum, they've been in contact with O2 & been told that:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...&postcount=253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sananda Maitreya @ DS
i have also been told the following by 02:

1. No, the iPhone will not be available on Pay&Go

2. No, the device and Sim are sold together and activated together as
one package. The device won't work if another SIM card is inserted.

3. After the end of the initial 18 month period, customers can give
notice if they wish to terminate their contracts with O2, or they can
continue with the contract on a month-by-month basis. However, as this
is an exclusive partnership between O2 and Apple, the iPhone will only
work as a mobile phone on O2's network in the UK. Several systems which
support the iPhone, including visual voicemail, are only available on O2
in the UK.

4.I do not believe you can use a pay as you go SIM card after the 18
months but will need to double check this.

And also...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...&postcount=234

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sananda Maitreya @ DS
i am assuming that it will be the same here. i called ofcom to find out if there is any requirement for a network here in the uk to unlock a phone at the expiration of the contract. i was told that there was no such requirement at all. ofcom only suggest what a reasonable fee might be for unlocking.

Does anyone know what the actual legality is?

SMHarman 08-10-2007 20:30

Certainly it has a good legality challenge about it. Imagine if you bought a car and you could only continue to drive it if the manufacturer serviced it at the appropriate schedule. If you did not it would stop working and become a pile of steel, plastic and rubber.

jonifen 23-10-2007 21:33

There is an extreme bending of the rules going on with this whole deal in my opinion.
From what I've read online (which may/may not be believed, I'm unsure), France and another country have already banned the iPhone from being sold in their country due to Apple's demands of limiting them to certain networks.

Apple are getting a huge slice of the proceeds from o2 and Carphone Warehouse for the whole thing, I'd love nothing more than to see the whole iPhone thing crash and burn... but as I said in my previous post, there are too many Apple fanboys for that to happen.

This is the best use for the iPhone - linkage (apologies if this has been seen before)

My current contract with o2 ends in January... my next phone? It looks like the k850i... I can send MMS on that... unlike the iPhone...

Damien 23-10-2007 22:53

French law requires a unlocked version to be out there. English law only requires the handset be ready after the contract ends.

Cerberus 07-11-2007 01:31

Ok Ok settle down!

As a member of staff I got an iPhone today to strictly help with customer queries.

There are going to be a few problems from what I can see and that is mostly from activating the iPhone.

From playing about with the iPhone, I can honestly say (No I am Am Not An Apple Fan Boy) it is a decent phone. The touch screen will take a while to suss out (ish) and mainly the other problem would be from syncing with iTunes. Other than this I don't see any other major problems at all.

IF any users of this forum are buying one or any other O2 users here are a bit on the errrr side then PM me and when I have time I will answer your queries. It is a nice bit of kit, but it could have a few things added for us Brits.

The Wi-Fi is amazing (forget EDGE and you will soon see why [OK it's not 3G]).

The touch screen is a fantastic user interface, but I could see that causing a slight few probs. Once you got a slight hang of it you will suss it.

It looks good, it's interface is good, the idea is good and Apple or any other manufacturer can only improve/learn from this.

Again I am not an apple fan boy.

Anymore questions then ask me.

handyman 07-11-2007 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 34428878)
Anymore questions then ask me.

Can I have it off you ?

SMHarman 07-11-2007 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 34428878)
The Wi-Fi is amazing (forget EDGE and you will soon see why [OK it's not 3G]).

EDGE is light years away from 3G. I have google maps on my k800i the difference between using it in the US on 2G vs the 3G in the UK is amazing, you scroll the map in the UK and it just keeps filling the screen. In the US, you wait.