Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Raspberry Pi - a revolution? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684075)

dilli-theclaw 26-02-2012 16:21

Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

1 Attachment(s)
I am not a very practical person :( - I can see me making one out of lego and just using some glue to hold it all together :)

I aim to make a very portable accessible pc to take about with me so any prospective employer can't bitch about how much hardware will cost for me to be able to to any IT work ;)

Well - this is the case sorted ;)

LSainsbury 26-02-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35388675)
I am not a very practical person :( - I can see me making one out of lego and just using some glue to hold it all together :)

I aim to make a very portable accessible pc to take about with me so any prospective employer can't bitch about how much hardware will cost for me to be able to to any IT work ;)

Well - this is the case sorted ;)

That looks like a.....errrmmm.....errrr.....what's it called again??? Oha yeah - it's an X-Wing from Star Wars isn't it!! :D

Stuart 26-02-2012 18:19

Well, I was going to buy a new NAS as the one I have doesn't have enough space.. I am now thinking I might actually buy one of these and build my own nas. Plug in a USB drive. Could be a lot more interesting than buying a NAS.

Sirius 26-02-2012 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35388549)
Still no availability date yet though. Have you seen the case that they guy made? Awesome!!

Looks good.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35388746)
Well, I was going to buy a new NAS as the one I have doesn't have enough space.. I am now thinking I might actually buy one of these and build my own nas. Plug in a USB drive. Could be a lot more interesting than buying a NAS.

Someone covered that in the Pi forum

Kymmy 26-02-2012 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35388746)

I just got a noontec N5 which does a simplified DLNA/Samba/WebDav/BT Nas last month so a bit late for me to do that with it (was only £40 with no drive).. I'm looking at doing Dual HD webcam recorder for mobile applications on a race vehicle so a raspberry Pi B board is ideal

Stuart 26-02-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35388799)
I just got a noontec N5 which does a simplified DLNA/Samba/WebDav/BT Nas last month so a bit late for me to do that with it (was only £40 with no drive).. I'm looking at doing Dual HD webcam recorder for mobile applications on a race vehicle so a raspberry Pi B board is ideal

It would.. Large enough SD card should give decent recording length as well.

dilli-theclaw 27-02-2012 20:16

Close now I suspect :)

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that*just might interest you*at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.

Sirius 27-02-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35389539)
Close now I suspect :)

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that*just might interest you*at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: Here we go

Kymmy 29-02-2012 06:15

Why are we waiting!!! Why oh are we waiting... (oh it's not 6am yet :D )

---------- Post added at 05:59 ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 ----------

I presume that everyone was intelligent enough to pre-register on the store site in the last few days??

---------- Post added at 06:00 ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 ----------

Hmm, they're not using their own store

https://uk.rs-online.com/

http://uk.farnell.com/

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 ----------

RS site is running like a pig.. At least I have a company account there so get free deivery, it's supposed to be next day but the raspberry site says:

Quote:

Although we are still waiting for units to arrive from China, you can start buying the Raspberry Pi today. We have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 ----------

Here's the direct link on RS to register for interest.. No idea if they'll be taking orders today

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 ----------

Latest news is that the A version will now also include 256Mb ram.. That's good as 128 was a bit useless..

LSainsbury 29-02-2012 06:25

And both Farnell and RS are now down...

Kymmy 29-02-2012 06:25

Confirmed on twitter, that they should be on sale today.. currently though Farnell's site can't cope and RS is pointing to a register interest page :rolleyes:

LSainsbury 29-02-2012 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35390360)

I presume that everyone was intelligent enough to pre-register on the store site in the last few days??

I didn't think they'd use their own store / infrastructure....they would'nt cope with the traffic....nor can the suppliers by the looks of it!

Kymmy 29-02-2012 06:29

RS has now collapsed for me as everyone wakes up

LSainsbury 29-02-2012 06:29

Give it chance - this happens with concert tickets all the time...I guess staff at Farnell and RS are changing the pages as we speak...

Kymmy 29-02-2012 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35390368)
I didn't think they'd use their own store / infrastructure....they would'nt cope with the traffic....nor can the suppliers by the looks of it!

It was always a possibility though :D

---------- Post added at 06:30 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35390371)
Give it chance - this happens with concert tickets all the time...I guess staff at Farnell and RS are changing the pages as we speak...

Or putting out the server fires... I can hear the Halon alarms from here :D

---------- Post added at 06:31 ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 ----------

Quote:

Raspberry Pi ‏ @Raspberry_Pi
We believe Farnell has sold out already. Blimey.
:(

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

Good bit of video here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190334