Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New EU Rules dictate chips must be cooked paler (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705766)

Paul 30-11-2017 22:14

Re: New EU Rules dictate chips must be cooked paler

I would think most people already do that, if they are actually at home, I dont think thats really the point here.

Gavin78 01-12-2017 00:57

Life is a risk they will always find something that will kill us.

might have to turn into a "BREATHARIAN" in saying that I'm surprised the EU hasn't banned air due to the toxins we release into the atmosphere

Maggy 01-12-2017 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35927037)
I would think most people already do that, if they are actually at home, I dont think thats really the point here.

Can't see what the point is..There is only so much control that H&S can have over us..even they can't follow us around and force us to eat only that which is healthy.

Anyway we are leaving so it won't be any issue for us after 2019.

Damien 01-12-2017 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35927070)
Can't see what the point is..There is only so much control that H&S can have over us..even they can't follow us around and force us to eat only that which is healthy.

In fairness they're not really banning unhealthy foods. You can still smoke, drink, eat pure sugar and fried food.

Instead it's more about removing hidden carcinogens from the food supply. At least with the obviously unhealthy food the customer can make a choice. Processed meats seem to be a carcinogen but because there you would have the ban them entirely and because it's quite obvious what it is then instead the agencies simply go down the route of informing customers they're a risk.

In this case it's harder to identify what acrylamide is and what it is in. It's a decision made before it gets to you and since it doesn't great impact the food itself other than the colour it's easier to ban.

Quote:

Maybe not. This is just a food safety agency that's run at a European level. It's possible we might still use them rather than set up our own or we do set up our own and they largely take the same decisions at those at the EU.

Mr K 01-12-2017 09:34

yes, the evil Eu trying to stop us getting cancer... We're British and we'll get the disease if we want it !

They'll be trying to stop drugs companies vastly overcharging us for cancer drugs next. Is there no end to their evil !
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...hike-7698q36c3
Quote:

The HSE is helping the European Commission with its investigation into whether a drug company broke EU competition rules by hiking the cost of life-saving cancer medicines by up to 600 per cent across Europe

Gavin78 01-12-2017 10:12

Investigating competition rules? How about charging them with mass murder because a drug that is life saving is being used to make mass profit instead.

Mr K 01-12-2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35927079)
Investigating competition rules? How about charging them with mass murder because a drug that is life saving is being used to make mass profit instead.

I'm with in you in spirit there Gavin ! If only life was so simple, however I guess they'd just stop making and researching new drugs altogether.

Mick 01-12-2017 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35927070)

The point is, they are creating stupid rules and laws, as usual.

Regardless that we are leaving, while we are still chained to them, we have to follow some of these new stupid laws, until the leave date.

Osem 01-12-2017 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927086)
The point is, they are creating stupid rules and laws, as usual.

Regardless that we are leaving, while we are still chained to them, we have to follow some of these new stupid laws, until the leave date.

It's a modern curse sadly and the EU might be the worst but isn't alone in this. More rules/regulations/laws all of which add to the weight of bureaucracy and create a wonderful ongoing revenue stream for the various organisations charged with enforcing them, not to mention the lawyers who'll inevitably be handsomely paid for challenging their legality. Nice work if you can get it...

jonbxx 01-12-2017 11:50

What is stupid about a law aiming to limit the amount of a toxic compound that is also a potential carcinogen in food?

Maggy 01-12-2017 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35927099)
What is stupid about a law aiming to limit the amount of a toxic compound that is also a potential carcinogen in food?

The word that concerns me is 'potential'..there is a possibility..means there maybe a chance of getting cancer.

However it's not so hard and fast as long as it's possible,maybe,potential.

At least this article uses the phrase strong evidence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ay_a_21452232/

As we are living longer I suspect cancer will be on the increase whatever we consume.The only advice I will ever give about carcinogens is do not ever,ever smoke tobacco as that is a proven route to lung cancer.

Paul 01-12-2017 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35927099)

The relevant word is highlighted for you.

Any food can potentially harm you, should we just ban all food ?

daveeb 01-12-2017 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35927128)

Water is on the official poisons list so better stick to the hard stuff.

denphone 01-12-2017 15:28

Quote:

If we listened to the experts we would be having grass and water.

jonbxx 01-12-2017 16:02

Quote:

If that food has been shown to be carcinogenic in animals as acrylamide has, then there would be some suspicion that it might be carcinogenic in humans. When it comes to chemical safety, you work on guilty until proven innocent.

I used to use acrylamide in the lab years ago and we were gloved and masked up due to potential carcinogenicity and the fact that it is a cumulative neurotoxin. It's nasty stuff.