Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Linear is old tech - on demand is the future (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705051)

OLD BOY 04-01-2018 09:36

Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35930927)
Originals drive UKTV to record ratings.

Good to see UKTV doing well, but I think this is at the expense of the main terrestrials. It does not disguise the shift taking place towards the streaming services.

Chad 04-01-2018 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35928152)
Juniper research predicts that Amazon will win a package of Premiership football rights in the next bidding round.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017/...sports-rights/

It's an interesting prediction. The Premier League have made 42 additional games available with the smallest packages being 20 and 24 games. If Amazon win 1 package it looks like SKY and BT will end up with more live games than they currently broadcast. If Amazon win 2 packages SKY and BT will be left with the same amount of games they currently hold.

Interestingly there are a couple of packages for midweek only games that might not be so desirable for SKY or BT due to their existing commitments to show Football League, The League Cup, Champions League and Europa League now those nights.

Joedm45 04-01-2018 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35930956)

Interestingly there are a couple of packages for midweek only games that might not be so desirable for SKY or BT due to their existing commitments to show Football League, The League Cup, Champions League and Europa League now those nights.

These packages has BT written all over it as you're not allowed to play Premier League games on UEFA competition nights.

denphone 04-01-2018 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35930956)
It's an interesting prediction. The Premier League have made 42 additional games available with the smallest packages being 20 and 24 games. If Amazon win 1 package it looks like SKY and BT will end up with more live games than they currently broadcast. If Amazon win 2 packages SKY and BT will be left with the same amount of games they currently hold.

l doubt Amazon will win any Chad as l doubt they will even bid for any of the packages IMO.

muppetman11 04-01-2018 13:58

If there is to be a third rights holder Eurosport would be perfect especially if it was included on the current Eurosport channels.

Raider999 04-01-2018 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35930975)
If there is to be a third rights holder Eurosport would be perfect especially if it was included on the current Eurosport channels.

Have they got the money though?

muppetman11 04-01-2018 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35930979)
Have they got the money though?

Isn't Eurosport either owned or part owned by Discovery Communications ?

Raider999 04-01-2018 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35930980)
Isn't Eurosport owned by Discovery Communications ?

You may be correct, however I would point out that Eurosport channels are currently freely available on sky/virgin

alwaysabear 04-01-2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35930980)
Isn't Eurosport either owned or part owned by Discovery Communications ?

Yes they are http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/di...t-1201545640/]
I have always been a big fan of Eurosport, they cover a lot of the sports I enjoy.

OLD BOY 04-01-2018 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35930961)
l doubt Amazon will win any Chad as l doubt they will even bid for any of the packages IMO.

I am sure that Amazon would win if they put in a serious bid. They have more money to spend than Sky and BT put together, and then some.

However, as discussed elsewhere, given the current state of our broadband infrastructure, it is more likely to be the next bidding round rather than the current one that a serious bid from them would be forthcoming.

However, in the meantime it is certainly worth watching what Discovery/Eurosport do next.

Taf 04-01-2018 16:40

I'm glad I went linear yesterday to watch Rick Stein, as my TIVO lost BBC2 HD so it would not have recorded.

theone2k10 04-01-2018 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35930998)
I am sure that Amazon would win if they put in a serious bid. They have more money to spend than Sky and BT put together, and then some.

However, as discussed elsewhere, given the current state of our broadband infrastructure, it is more likely to be the next bidding round rather than the current one that a serious bid from them would be forthcoming.

However, in the meantime it is certainly worth watching what Discovery/Eurosport do next.

IMO Facebook and Twitter are two to keep an eye on too they have serious funds behind them too.

Raider999 04-01-2018 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35931000)
IMO Facebook and Twitter are two to keep an eye on too they have serious funds behind them too.

If they win the rights to broadcast a package of Premier League games, there are the following questions that need answers:-

1. How will they film the matches?

2. How will the streaming model work - individual match purchase or monthly sub?

theone2k10 04-01-2018 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35931036)
If they win the rights to broadcast a package of Premier League games, there are the following questions that need answers:-

1. How will they film the matches?

2. How will the streaming model work - individual match purchase or monthly sub?

1. same way as others do there is also a international feed i think i think NBCsports use a international link up with their own commentary team.
2. Very good question they may follow NBCsports with their nbcsports gold which is a monthly or annual fee, if i remember right SKY once did a season ticket thing too from premier plus.

Raider999 04-01-2018 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35931070)
1. same way as others do there is also a international feed i think i think NBCsports use a international link up with their own commentary team.
2. Very good question they may follow NBCsports with their nbcsports gold which is a monthly or annual fee, if i remember right SKY once did a season ticket thing too from premier plus.

Ok so not so difficult to get the pictures.

Will need a lot of subscribers to get near to breaking even.

Premier Plus, as I remember was 50 matches for £50. I cannot see many people paying more than £1.50 -£2 a game for a streamed match, especially with more football than ever on BT and Sky