Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

Zing 30-11-2010 19:14

Re: Tivo

irrelevent its still £200 of my money I wont be parting with to view a subscription on a different box. Also with past record of VM and anything that requires software I wouldnt want it till its matured enough and proven efficient or at the least stable

Pster72 30-11-2010 19:32

Re: Media Boy's Insider says

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35130113)
Media Boy's Insider says
(Prices for TiVo):

Existing Customers
VIP= Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee
is this true? I am on the VIP50 PACK

waived on XL
XL TV/Triple = Free - Set-up fee £0 - Install fee £0 - Monthly fee waived for 12 months
Existing XL TV= Discounted - Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

New Customers
(coming from competitor) Set-up fee £149 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm
(new intake) Set-up fee £199 - Install fee £40 - Monthly fee £3/pm

Oh please be true for people on the triple xl package as i want one !!!!! lol

ahardie 30-11-2010 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130157)
irrelevent its still £200 of my money I wont be parting with to view a subscription on a different box. Also with past record of VM and anything that requires software I wouldnt want it till its matured enough and proven efficient or at the least stable

Hopefully as Tivo are doing the software we will be getting the same system that is already up and running in the US. As for the price it is pretty much the same way other tv platforms work. You pay for the latest hardware and it wont work properly unless you stay subscribed. The difference here is that the box will be serviced for as long as it is in your possession. At the end of the day though we have a choice which is to stay with what we have or pay to get something better.

Zing 30-11-2010 19:45

a few weeks ago I called Sky out of contract with a fault. I told them I am not paying £60 for a call out and seeing as I have virgin tv I will cancel. 2 days later I got one of the newer HD boxes ( same size as new V+ boxes) with twice the storage for free. Sky the largest TV platform

clummy_ 30-11-2010 19:52

WTF are you on about?

Zing 30-11-2010 20:02

it was in response to ahardies statement "As for the price it is pretty much the same way other tv platforms work"

Chances are a few months down the line VM will have an upgrade promo which would allow lower packages the upgrade for free anyway

ahardie 30-11-2010 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130167)
a few weeks ago I called Sky out of contract with a fault. I told them I am not paying £60 for a call out and seeing as I have virgin tv I will cancel. 2 days later I got one of the newer HD boxes ( same size as new V+ boxes) with twice the storage for free. Sky the largest TV platform

You are never going to guarantee that will happen. Sky charge something like £8.99 every month for insurance on their boxes so if they always respond to that threat they would drop the charge as being redundant. They are like every company it might work or they might call your bluff. I have read people saying the threat hasn't worked. Anyway if the choice is between knowing I will get a free call out and having to threaten to leave or email Jeromy Darroch as I seen somebody having to do the other day then there isn't much choice really which is best to have. This is getting seriously offtopic anyway. It's upto everybody to decide personally whether the tivo box is worth that much. For some people not owning the box might be an issue but to me that is illogical as it isn't a lot different to how it works on any platform. The box wont work properly if you stop subscribing.

Zing 30-11-2010 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahardie (Post 35130176)
You are never going to guarantee that will happen. Sky charge something like £8.99 every month for insurance on their boxes so if they always respond to that threat they would drop the charge as being redundant. They are like every company it might work or they might call your bluff. I have read people saying the threat hasn't worked. Anyway if the choice is between knowing I will get a free call out and having to threaten to leave or email Jeromy Darroch as I seen somebody having to do the other day then there isn't much choice really which is best to have. This is getting seriously offtopic anyway. It's upto everybody to decide personally whether the tivo box is worth that much.

yeah and I have stated my view that it isnt. At no point have I tried to twist anyones arm and not pay it have I?

ahardie 30-11-2010 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130178)
yeah and I have stated my view that it isnt. At no point have I tried to twist anyones arm and not pay it have I?

No but this is a discussion forum where we are both putting a point of view. I am definitely not going to try and persuade anybody it is worth paying that much because to a lot of people it wont be and it is a personal decision. I'm just saying what will influence my decision.

Stephen 30-11-2010 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooogemaflop (Post 35130157)

But with virgin you don't pay if there is a fault with your service. Unlike Sky.

Zing 30-11-2010 23:43

I never have anyway

Jameseh 30-11-2010 23:58

Now the brilliant question of second boxes. Can't see myself upgrading the other V+ for £150 after just paying £50 for it about 2 to 3 month ago.

richard1960 01-12-2010 08:14

The TiVo does look very good and i would if i recorded lots of HD channels and tv love the bigger hard drive,but my current S/A box has more then enough recording space for my needs i only reocord about 2-3 programmes a week,also the only other thing i would really like is a dynamically uipdating EPG which hopefully might appear on existing boxes,but i see no need to pay maybe £150-200 to upgrade just for that feature.

SOSAGES 01-12-2010 09:07

I'm sure it may sound grumpy but if you dont want to pay that much money then dont :) stick with what you have

Zing 01-12-2010 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES (Post 35130399)
I'm sure it may sound grumpy but if you dont want to pay that much money then dont :) stick with what you have

There seems to be confusion here? I for one expressed my opinion that the costs to get this box were to high. I made it clear I would not pay. This is a discussion board isnt it? typing ones opinions is how this thing ticks over yes? or are only positive opinions of Virgin Media allowed?