Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Homeless man freezes to death in Birmingham (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704087)

Dude111 05-12-2016 06:50

This just makes me sad......... No one cared enough to try and help this guy??

Its really very sad........

Quote:

"A homeless man ‘froze to death’ on the streets of Birmingham just a day before UK charity Shelter warned more than 250,000 people in England will be homeless this Christmas as high rents, benefit cuts, and a worsening housing crisis create the perfect storm.

The body of the unknown man was found in the West Midlands city at 11.30pm GMT on Wednesday, the coldest night of the year. [more]
http://www.rt.com/uk/368862-homeless...istmas-england

Please try to help the homeless!

weenie 05-12-2016 11:51

Re: Homeless man freezes to death in Birmingham

I know it's not much but when I see a homeless person, I always go to a nearby cafe, Gregs etc and buy them a hot drink and something to eat.

RIP to this poor man, after all he was somebody's son and more importantly a human being. IMO no one deserves to live or die like this, it truly breaks my heart at what a sad and lonely world this is for some.

Osem 05-12-2016 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35873805)
I know it's not much but when I see a homeless person, I always go to a nearby cafe, Gregs etc and buy them a hot drink and something to eat.

RIP to this poor man, after all he was somebody's son and more importantly a human being. IMO no one deserves to live or die like this, it truly breaks my heart at what a sad and lonely world this is for some.

:clap:

denphone 05-12-2016 13:59

Very sad indeed when you hear of these stories as what weenie says rings very true as although sometimes we moan about things sometimes its nowhere near as bad as many who are homeless as there are many many reasons why they became homeless in the first place and l just wish some in society would stop being so judgemental as any of us or our dearest and nearest could be in the same position given the wrong circumstances in their life.

Osem 05-12-2016 14:03

... and the vast majority of homeless people are men who the system generally places at the bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities for housing etc. especially after family breakups.

Taf 05-12-2016 14:12

Many get caught in a Catch 22 situation where bureaucracy beats them senseless and they just give up.

Dude111 05-12-2016 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem
... and the vast majority of homeless people are men who the system generally places at the bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities for housing etc. especially after family breakups.

Ya its sad...... With all the empty houses around,why doesnt the county take some of them over and allow in the homeless??

Like a big family!

Damien 05-12-2016 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35873858)
Ya its sad...... With all the empty houses around,why doesnt the county take some of them over and allow in the homeless??

Like a big family!

I think a lot of homelessness is usually down to other factors. Mental illness, addiction etc rather than simply lack of space.

heero_yuy 05-12-2016 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35873881)
I think a lot of homelessness is usually down to other factors. Mental illness, addiction etc rather than simply lack of space.

Many hostels for the homeless have strict alcohol and drug rules and addicts would rather stay on the street than give those up. Sad but true. I don't know if that's the case here but it's often not so simple. :( RIP.

Hom3r 05-12-2016 18:29

I saw a video on Facebook it was a social experiment on how people deal with homelessness.

A guy sat on the pavement with a banner saying something like "Homeless need money for Alcohol & drugs", people gave him loads of money.

Then later he sat on the pavement with a young barefooted girl (daughter)lying on him. people just ignored them.

Except one, that was a homeless woman who gave them everything she had take that day. As she walked away he called her back explaining what he was doing.

He then gave her money back as well as $100.

Unfortunately homeless people have become invisible, I haven't seen any in my town, but I have seen loads in London.

pip08456 05-12-2016 21:47

Speaking as a person who was homeless for 2 years (admittedly 20 yrs ago) the first thing I would say is do not under any circumstances give money to a "beggar". Most are professionals who make a good living out of preying on your conscience. Believe me, I know beggars that make £300 per day!

If you want to help contribute to one of the many drop-in centres where they can get helped.

I'm thankful for the help I got from a drop-in centre all those years ago, they not only helped me find accommodation but assisted me to have a different outlook on life.

Osem 05-12-2016 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35873882)
Many hostels for the homeless have strict alcohol and drug rules and addicts would rather stay on the street than give those up. Sad but true. I don't know if that's the case here but it's often not so simple. :( RIP.

Yes and many hostels are violent places too so many people would rather take their chances elsewhere.

MalteseFalcon 05-12-2016 22:39

Since August, seen a dramatic increase in the number of homeless people in Stevenage. Many sleep down in the doorways of banks or shops overnight. I know of one who sleeps in the doorway of Lloyds Bank and each morning the person who opens up brings them a cup of coffee or tea and a roll with a warm filling.

RizzyKing 06-12-2016 02:27

Hard to think of the UK as a developed nation when a citizen can freeze to death when there is no shortage of places that for a minimal cost could house them and keep them warm.

tweetiepooh 06-12-2016 09:58

I can remember one beggar asking me for money for chips. I offered to buy him chips but he didn't want that.

Problems with "empty" housing stock is that they may not be safe or may be owned by absentee landlords using it as investment (or other reasons) so are not available to be used. And many homeless do need care as well as shelter.