Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CF: Clickers Corner (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33653448)

Delta Whiskey 01-08-2009 08:55

CF: Clickers Corner

Given the success of the CF Photo of the month thread, Joglynne and I thought it would be useful to have a general camera related thread. So here it is. :D

Anything do do with cameras is on topic, but please no 'my camera is better than your camera' nonsense.

I'll start it of by asking the question:

What camera do you currently use?

Mine is a Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lens and a 70-300 VR zoom.

Stephen 01-08-2009 09:05

Re: CF: Clickers Corner

I currently use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 with 12x ultra-zoom lens, equivalent to a focal length of 35-420mm, with external hot shoe mounted flash.

Keeping me going till I can afford a proper SLR as it can do many things without having the changeable lenses.

Some of my stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve5424/

Druchii 01-08-2009 09:12

I currently use a SonyEricsson K750i, however, having recently bought someone the gift of a Canon Ixus 100 i was wondering about your digital camera recommendations for around £200-250?

Delta Whiskey 01-08-2009 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii (Post 34844985)
I currently use a SonyEricsson K750i, however, having recently bought someone the gift of a Canon Ixus 100 i was wondering about your digital camera recommendations for around £200-250?

I have a Ricoh R10 compact camera which I always have with me as it's nice and light. It's 10 megapixel, 7x optical zoom. I paid £220 for mine last year from Clifton Cameras, but I see they are selling it for £149 now.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Ricoh_R10_#product

You can see some of my R10 images here:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=R10&w=7944055%40N08

http://www.digicamreview.com/ricoh_r10_review.htm

joglynne 01-08-2009 09:43

My cameras range from my old friend an Olympus Trip that has seen me through thick and thin to my current Nikon L2 both of which I use as work horses to take snapshots to help me in my work.

At the back of my cupboard I also have an Olympus OM10 complete with a passel of lenses, filters and other bits and pieces none of which I never got comfortable using. The thought of using film again isn't very appealing so I doubt I would ever try using it but I wouldn't mind having a digital camera with a bit more oomph.

Paul 01-08-2009 09:58

Moved to Science & Technology.

popper 01-08-2009 12:27

the very first thing you lot need here is a sticky explaining the acronyms in detailed yet simple language etc.

"a Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lens and a 70-300 VR zoom"

"Lumix DMC-FZ50 with 12x ultra-zoom lens, equivalent to a focal length of 35-420mm"

"SLR"

"It's 10 megapixel, 7x optical zoom."

perhaps a "howto" post now and again from joglynne etc, kind of "i set this option and used that setting to produce this output" and put a selection of pictures up to visually illustrate these settings etc for anyone to see, good for anyone wanting to get into this....

joglynne 01-08-2009 13:23

Hey popper, although I admire a good picture I'm just a point and shoot photographer who replaced her sketch book with camera. I couldn't tell an F stop from a bus stop but can see that the technical details will be interesting to the more dedicated clicker with higher end equipment. :D

In the hopes that this new thread will be more diverse than just discussions about camera settings, 'cause quite frankly many of us will probably continue to use cameras where the choice of setting is more on the lines of whether or not to use the built in flash, can I introduce another aspect of Photography. The end product.

A particular irritant to me are those holiday shots we all have to sit and admire. If you want to get a nice composition showing the mountains don't focus your camera on Aunt Flo in the foreground. Concentrate on the Mountain shot then give Auntie an ice cream and do a close up as it drips. 2 photos instead of 1 but a good chance both will be more interesting than the combined shot.

Delta Whiskey 01-08-2009 13:35

It's a nice idea popper, but all of that detail is available via a Google search, I'm not sure it's worth the time it would take to duplicate what is already out there. I'm more than willing to answer specific technical questions (where I can) as I suspect will others.

There are websites like HowStuffWorks where you can find out lots of information on film and digital cameras.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/digital-camera.htm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera.htm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus.htm

Tezcatlipoca 01-08-2009 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34844975)
What camera do you currently use?

I used to have a Canon Powershot A70, 3MP compact. It eventually died though, so now I use my wife's compact (currently some Panny thing, previously an IXUS 800 IS, & before that an IXUS 400) or, for "out & about / spur of the moment" stuff just use my iPhone 3GS (3MP, no flash, no zoom, ROFL).

My wife moved on from using compact digicams a while back, & has now really got into her photography.

She started with a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 "bridge camera", but soon moved to a DSLR as she found the Panny too restrictive (which was funny as she actually got that one as she thought that a DSLR would be too complicated).

She ditched the Panny, & got a Nikon D40, which is what she used when we were travelling around the US in March/April.

She's now upgraded again, & is currently using a Nikon D90. Not sure which lenses she has, but the collection seems to be growing.

Angua 01-08-2009 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 34844983)
I currently use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 with 12x ultra-zoom lens, equivalent to a focal length of 35-420mm, with external hot shoe mounted flash.

Keeping me going till I can afford a proper SLR as it can do many things without having the changeable lenses.

Some of my stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve5424/

Have its baby brother FZ28 which does every thing I need.

Dozy me didn't switch on the handy tracking focus at an air-show I went to recently https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2009/08/20.gif

lauzjp 01-08-2009 19:41

hubby & I have a Kodak EasyShare C653, and some other cheapy thing, can't even remember what make it is! :LOL:

joglynne 01-08-2009 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauzjp (Post 34845324)
hubby & I have a Kodak EasyShare C653, and some other cheapy thing, can't even remember what make it is! :LOL:

..and if I remember rightly you take some lovely photos with your cameras and have had some success in our competitions. :)

Which goes to prove that old saying ... It ain't what you've got it's how you use it that counts. :D

lauzjp 01-08-2009 20:56

thanks Jo! :D

I do try, though I'm really quite impatient. I haven't got an automatic eye, or I just can't translate what I think would make a good photo into what ends up through the camera lense! Practice practice practice I guess? :shrug:

dilli-theclaw 01-08-2009 21:02

I've got a samsung 8megapixel thing but I couldn't tell you the make. Most of the time though I use the camera on my phone.

joglynne 01-08-2009 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauzjp (Post 34845353)
thanks Jo! :D

I do try, though I'm really quite impatient. I haven't got an automatic eye, or I just can't translate what I think would make a good photo into what ends up through the camera lense! Practice practice practice I guess? :shrug:

I know what you mean.

When I see something that interests me I sometimes shoot 20+ pictures, just moving slightly to the left and right then at varying heights. Sometimes the first quick shot can't be bettered but usually, for me, it's the last couple of shots that are the best. It's as if I subconsciously get to know the subject better when I have spent more time concentrating on it so that the last few shots I make are almost on auto pilot and capture something I hadn't seen originally.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas T (Post 34845359)
I've got a samsung 8megapixel thing but I couldn't tell you the make. Most of the time though I use the camera on my phone.

:D I hate the phone and fought against the pressure to have a mobile phone bothering me when I was out, but when they started building in cameras I gave in and got one. At least having a built in camera in your phone means you can take photos where ever you are.

Now if someone could teach me how to send a picture I have taken on my phone to a contact I would be really grateful. Tried to do it on several occasions and ended up coming home each time and sending the photos by email. :dunce:

Jon T 01-08-2009 21:36

I've got a Fuji Finepix S6500FD and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS85.

Giving very serious thought to getting an SLR, probably a Canon.

Angua 02-08-2009 08:03

Hubby has a Nikon D80 which I have borrowed in the past to take shots for the competitions he also has a hefty Sigma 50-500 lens which is great for close ups and distance shots but he is now after a macro lens for real close up shots. Daughter now has the use of his old Nikon F40 and she puts us all to shame with her natural eye for a great shot (costs a fortune in film & developing though). :D

Delta Whiskey 02-08-2009 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 34845528)
Hubby has a Nikon D80 which I have borrowed in the past to take shots for the competitions he also has a hefty Sigma 50-500 lens which is great for close ups and distance shots but he is now after a macro lens for real close up shots. Daughter now has the use of his old Nikon F40 and she puts us all to shame with her natural eye for a great shot (costs a fortune in film & developing though). :D

I'm looking at buying a macro lens for my D90, a friend has lent me a Tamron 90mm macro lens to have a play with (guess who spent the first few minutes wondering why he couldn't zoom). Previous to that I was using a set of close up filters I bought off e-bay for £16, they are OK for occasional use but the quality is less than stellar.

lauzjp 02-08-2009 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34845379)
I know what you mean.

When I see something that interests me I sometimes shoot 20+ pictures, just moving slightly to the left and right then at varying heights. Sometimes the first quick shot can't be bettered but usually, for me, it's the last couple of shots that are the best. It's as if I subconsciously get to know the subject better when I have spent more time concentrating on it so that the last few shots I make are almost on auto pilot and capture something I hadn't seen originally.

AAAAAAH! So I should try to take lots of photos and then just see what looks 'good'? Cool. :dunce: I honestly never thought to do that, :LOL: I need to experiment more methinks. Thanks Jo! :tu:

joglynne 02-08-2009 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauzjp (Post 34845751)
AAAAAAH! So I should try to take lots of photos and then just see what looks 'good'? Cool. :dunce: I honestly never thought to do that, :LOL: I need to experiment more methinks. Thanks Jo! :tu:

That's what I love about digital cameras, not having to worry about the cost of developing multiple shots of the same subject.

I used to hate going to pick up my photos from the Chemists. All that money spent and out of 20 shots at least 10 would just be fit for the bin as I could never could get the hang of getting the whole of a persons head with in the frame. I used to have packets and packets of duff photos which I kept on the grounds that I had paid good money for them and maybe, by some miracle, they would get better with the passing of time.

I had quite an extensive collection of thumb shots at one point and as a joke I mounted them in a large frame and attempted to pass them off as a piece of modern art . Funnily enough no one bought it. :D

alferret 02-08-2009 16:37

Currently use a Fuji 5800, pretty limited but great for macro's.
Also use a point n click Fuji A350.

I would like a Sony A350 which is\would be the top end of any DSLR budget I may get (birthday soon)

Used to have a Nikon F40 & a Minolta dynax 5000i in my pre digital days.
I did have albums full of shots I had taken but my stupid dumb ex decided they would look better at the tip so she got rid of them all.

lauzjp 03-08-2009 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34845763)
I used to have packets and packets of duff photos which I kept on the grounds that I had paid good money for them and maybe, by some miracle, they would get better with the passing of time.

I had quite an extensive collection of thumb shots at one point and as a joke I mounted them in a large frame and attempted to pass them off as a piece of modern art . Funnily enough no one bought it. :D

aw, :LOL: thanks Jo, very reassuring that I can get better with practice! :tu:

Raistlin 03-08-2009 13:30

My collection includes an Olympus OM1, a Minolta Dynax, a Sony Cybershot, and the camera on my iPhone.

The iPhone's fine for what I call 'happy snapper' type shots, but it's not good for serious photography. The Sony takes a great picture, but you really don't get the control that you get with an SLR.

I like the results that I get with the Minolta and the Olympus, I just can't be bothered messing around with film any more - especially as all the places locally that you can get it developed seem to do such a poor job of it.

Ideally I'd like a decent digital SLR, but as usual money is the biggest problem here. I love taking photographs, just can't seem to feel inspired working in film any more :(

Halcyon 03-08-2009 15:34

At the moment it is a Sony W100 compact camera.
I intend on getting a DSLR hopfully around Christmas time as having seen some great airplane closeups I would like to start taking good photos of planes as well asmany other things of course.
The zoom is the main limiter on my small camera and also not being able to change shutter speeds or vary the focussing.
So if anyone can reccomend any models, go ahead.
I take it Nikon and Canon are the main ones to look for.

Delta Whiskey 03-08-2009 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 34846395)
So if anyone can reccomend any models, go ahead.
I take it Nikon and Canon are the main ones to look for.

As you say the main two are Nikon and Canon although Sony and Olympus are options as well. I can speak for Nikon cameras, I have a D90 and I've used a D40, D80, D200 and D300.

The entry level Nikon is the new D3000 which is due out at the end of August with a RRP of £500 (with a 18-55mm VR lens), if you have a bit more to spend then the D90 with 18-105mm zoom lens is around £800.

If you have even more money to spend then you can buy the D300s (£1500 body only), D700 (£1800 body only) and the D3x (£5000 body only).

joglynne 03-08-2009 16:22

I think I am going to dip my toe into the DSLR pool but I am a bit loath to spend a load of money on something so complicated I never end up using it. I have been talking with a friend and he has suggested I have a look at the 2nd hand market. He has recommended Wildings as he has used them in the past. Has anyone else used this firm as a second recommendation would be reassuring.

If I go this route I will be looking for a something that is one step up from my point and click models. If I were to buy new I quite fancy the Olympus E-420 Digital SLR which I have found it at around £200 to £230 from sellers I don't know and at £299 from Jessops who I have at least heard of.

What I would value your input on is...If I was to spend around £250ish on a second hand camera something on the lines of the Olympus is there an alternative camera that you would recommend I look out for?

Add...probably a sill question but would my old lenses from my Olympus OM10 fit one of the new DSLR camers?

Halcyon 03-08-2009 16:44

I can't really go for anything over £800 so the £1000+ range of camera's are untouchable for me.
I'm thinking £500-£800. Depends how much I want to put on credit card or save up lol.

I've read that DSLR's tend to have different sized sensors but I guess at my prce point I shouldnt really worry about that?
From a quick browse the other day I seem to quite like the Nikon range.

Once I buy a DSLR, do I need to buy addional lenses or are the packaged ones not bad?
Also, are all lenses compatible?
A little like motherboards, I don't want a motherboard that won't take the new CPU.

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help.
I was actually looking at the D80 the other day but maybe is it worth waiting for this new D3000?

Delta Whiskey 03-08-2009 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846442)
I think I am going to dip my toe into the DSLR pool but I am a bit loath to spend a load of money on something so complicated I never end up using it. I have been talking with a friend and he has suggested I have a look at the 2nd hand market. He has recommended Wildings as he has used them in the past. Has anyone else used this firm as a second recommendation would be reassuring.

If I go this route I will be looking for a something that is one step up from my point and click models. If I were to buy new I quite fancy the Olympus E-420 Digital SLR which I have found it at around £200 to £230 from sellers I don't know and at £299 from Jessops who I have at least heard of.

What I would value your input on is...If I was to spend around £250ish on a second hand camera something on the lines of the Olympus is there an alternative camera that you would recommend I look out for?

Add...probably a sill question but would my old lenses from my Olympus OM10 fit one of the new DSLR camers?

All modern DSLR's have a Program mode where the camera does everything for you, once you've got the hang of that you can try the other settings:
Aperture - you set the f stop the camera does the rest (useful to get rid of distracting background by limiting the Depth of field - DOF - f5.6 has less DOF than f22 for instance).
Shutter - You set the shutter speed the camera does the rest (useful to capture fast moving objects).
Manual - You set shutter and f stop.

You normally see these called the PASM set. You will also have Scene modes where the camera is set up for landscape, night time etc.

I would rather buy new over second-hand, you never know what sort of use the camera has had, modern cameras are really small computers and expensive to repair.

The Olympus E-420 has had good reviews (What Digital Camera give it 86%).
I don't think it will take the OM10 lenses as it uses the new Four Thirds mount. The Sony A200 might be worth a look (What Digital Camera give it 89%), Amazon have it for £284 - http://bit.ly/3PzqU3

Sir John Luke 03-08-2009 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846442)
I think I am going to dip my toe into the DSLR pool but I am a bit loath to spend a load of money on something so complicated I never end up using it. I have been talking with a friend and he has suggested I have a look at the 2nd hand market.

How about

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Canon-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

?

Canon-refurbished.

Delta Whiskey 03-08-2009 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 34846449)
I can't really go for anything over £800 so the £1000+ range of camera's are untouchable for me.
I'm thinking £500-£800. Depends how much I want to put on credit card or save up lol.

I've read that DSLR's tend to have different sized sensors but I guess at my prce point I shouldnt really worry about that?
From a quick browse the other day I seem to quite like the Nikon range.

Once I buy a DSLR, do I need to buy addional lenses or are the packaged ones not bad?
Also, are all lenses compatible?
A little like motherboards, I don't want a motherboard that won't take the new CPU.

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help.
I was actually looking at the D80 the other day but maybe is it worth waiting for this new D3000?

The sensor size plays a large part in the quality of the image, full size 35mm (43mmx36mm) sensors are found on the D700 and D3x (25 megapixel approx) which explains their prices. Most of the cameras in your price band are APS-C (30mmx25mm) and 10-12 megapixel.

The 18-105 kit lens that comes with the Nikon D90 is very good as is the other option I've seen the 18-55. All Nikon lenses made over the last fifty years will work to some extent with all modern Nikon cameras. Third party Nikon fit lenses are available from Tamaron, Tokina and Sigma (to name three). You can't put a Canon lens on a Nikon camera or vice versa (that would be to easy on the customer wouldn't it).

The D3000 is the replacement for the D60 and looks like it's going to be an ideal camera for the new DSLR owner. The D90 is the replacement for the D80.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/.../overview.html

If you want video then the D5000 is an option, the D3000 doesn't have it.

joglynne 03-08-2009 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34846451)
All modern DSLR's have a Program mode where the camera does everything for you, once you've got the hang of that you can try the other settings:
Aperture - you set the f stop the camera does the rest (useful to get rid of distracting background by limiting the Depth of field - DOF - f5.6 has less DOF than f22 for instance).
Shutter - You set the shutter speed the camera does the rest (useful to capture fast moving objects).
Manual - You set shutter and f stop.

You normally see these called the PASM set. You will also have Scene modes where the camera is set up for landscape, night time etc.

I wish there was a smilie that illustrated my glazed eyes expression. LOL DW when I get a camera in my hand you can talk me through a few shots, until then you seem to be talking in a foreign language..

Quote:

I would rather buy new over second-hand, you never know what sort of use the camera has had, modern cameras are really small computers and expensive to repair.
I thought that if I picked one with no sign of wear, and from a reputable dealer who gave a few weeks warranty I could be on to a winner there. It worked with my last car. :D

Quote:

The Olympus E-420 has had good reviews (What Digital Camera give it 86%).
I don't think it will take the OM10 lenses as it uses the new Four Thirds mount. The Sony A200 might be worth a look (What Digital Camera give it 89%), Amazon have it for £284 - http://bit.ly/3PzqU3
I will have a look at the Sony. I need to be able to feel the camera in my hand and see how the weight of the lenses alters the balance before I buy anything so I guess I will be visiting a few Camera Shops over the coming weeks. Cue enormous resigned sigh from John. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir John Luke (Post 34846461)

E-bay. Never felt to happy dealing with anyone I couldn't look in the eye, and I think I would also rather see the camera I was buying if it was already described as refurbished. Is there any particular Canon starter model you would recommend if I was to buy from new?

Delta Whiskey 03-08-2009 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846485)
I wish there was a smilie that illustrated my glazed eyes expression. LOL DW when I get a camera in my hand you can talk me through a few shots, until then you seem to be talking in a foreign language..

I know it looks like some arcane gobbledy-gook but it's easy enough once you can take some photo's and see the differences first hand.

With modern metering systems being so good you could leave the camera on automatic and not miss out on too much, It's only when you want to be creative with your photography that you have to concern yourself with setting the aperture and speed yourself.

Take Depth of field (DoF) as an example, it really means how much of the photo is in focus. If you are taking a photo of a flower and the background is a distraction, using a shallow DoF you can keep the flower in focus and make the background out of focus. Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...27354/sizes/l/

The wider the shutter is open the less DoF you have, conversely the smaller the shutter opening the more DoF. So setting the aperture to f8 in the example photo allowed me to get the flower in focus and blur the background. If I'd set the aperture to f5.6 or less some of the flower would be out of focus (as the leaf nearest to you actually is), I should have probably used f12 or f16 but I wanted to lose that background, it's all about compromise.

Angua 03-08-2009 20:06

Very happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ28 which is one step down from an SLR without all the fiddles of changing lenses, and if you like better quality pictures without the fuss it seems to fit the bill.

Delta Whiskey 03-08-2009 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 34846616)
Very happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ28 which is one step down from an SLR without all the fiddles of changing lenses, and if you like better quality pictures without the fuss it seems to fit the bill.

It's a lovely camera with its 18x optical zoom, it got a great review here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ28/p1

Worth a look for anyone wanting something better than a point-and-shoot, but not wanting to go down the interchangeable lens route.

jabtas 03-08-2009 21:44

My kit as it was a few years ago

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2009/08/51.jpg

I have since added a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

I have an extensive online gallery, if you so wish, feel free to have a look

www.pbase.com/jabtas

joglynne 03-08-2009 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabtas (Post 34846699)
<snip>

I have an extensive online gallery, if you so wish, feel free to have a look

www.pbase.com/jabtas

I have enjoyed dipping into your Gallery. :tu:

I like the Virtual Photographer Conversions, very interesting effects and I could almost use your Fireworks Photographs as templates for my canvases, Not that I would of course. :)

jabtas 03-08-2009 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846720)
I have enjoyed dipping into your Gallery. :tu:

I like the Virtual Photographer Conversions, very interesting effects and I could almost use your Fireworks Photographs as templates for my canvases, Not that I would of course. :)

If you let me know which you would like to play with, I can send you a full size copy :D

joglynne 03-08-2009 22:11

Don't I need PhotoShop?

jabtas 03-08-2009 22:15

Depends what you intend to do with it, I would just send a jpg file

I do take all my shots in RAW, but then convert to jpg

joglynne 03-08-2009 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabtas (Post 34846734)
Depends what you intend to do with it, I would just send a jpg file

I do take all my shots in RAW, but then convert to jpg

Please talk slowly and in words of one syllable. I don't do photography technical and don't know what you mean by in RAW. :dunce:

I have rarely bothered manipulating the bulk of my photos as I use them as aide-mémoirs in my work, any other photos I take I just store in my photo files in Picasa. Would I be able to use your application on photos I have already saved or would I have to take new photos and save them in a different way?

I have restored some old B&W photos and done some freehand re-colouring all using Paintshop Pro and am happy with the results so I am not totally inept just partially so.

jabtas 03-08-2009 22:41

Forget RAW, for now
RAW is just a format that cameras use to produce images, in this case its not important

The pics you already have taken (digi camera I assume) and stored in Picasa, will be in jpg format

If I sent you one of mine, you could treat it as you do any of the other phots you currently have stored

joglynne 03-08-2009 22:50

Yes they are stored as jpg images. Can you send the jpg file and I will have a play. :)

OK have googled RAW. I take it that my choices of new camera will probably not be advanced enough to take pictures in the RAW? So maybe I had better stay with Paintshop. :D

jabtas 03-08-2009 23:10

Which pic would you like sending

Really need to go to bed have to be up at 4:30

I will send it over tomorrow aftnoon

joglynne 03-08-2009 23:15

You choose one that you think a rank amateur would have the most fun with. Thanks for humouring me. :tu: Sleep tight. :)

Delta Whiskey 04-08-2009 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846771)
OK have googled RAW. I take it that my choices of new camera will probably not be advanced enough to take pictures in the RAW? So maybe I had better stay with Paintshop. :D

The Olympus E-420 takes RAW images, as does the Sony A200.

The advantage of RAW is the ability to tweak the image in a program like Photoshop or Elements to get the most out of it, or to be able to recover from a mistake you've made when taking the original shot. You can do that with a jpg of course but the RAW image allows for much more manipulation without adding digital artefacts to the final photo.

joglynne 04-08-2009 11:12

That's interesting DW. Looks like I will also have to factor the cost of Photoshop in to my budget.
I see I can get a free trial of Elements 7 so I will have a play with that as well. :D

Druchii 04-08-2009 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34847022)
That's interesting DW. Looks like I will also have to factor the cost of Photoshop in to my budget.
I see I can get a free trial of Elements 7 so I will have a play with that as well. :D

You may want to play with these 2 other Free alternative Image Manipulation programs:
Paint.Net - www.paint.net/
GIMP - www.gimp.org/windows

joglynne 04-08-2009 12:00

:tu: I already have both of those. :) I do use paint.net but started using Paint Shop Pro again a couple of weeks ago (I used to have it years ago and somehow, probably during a computer upgrade, I managed to loose it. :( )

I'm not too happy with Gimp. I have used it after Maggy recommended it months ago, or rather tried to use it, but it doesn't think the way I do and it seems like I'm using a massive sledge hammer to crack a peanut, and most of the time I can't even find the hammer.

It looks like I have plenty to play with whilst my wrist heals. :D

joglynne 04-08-2009 13:18

Just been having a play using Paint.net and it's great for manipulating photos. Don't know why I didn't do it before. Great fun. :D

Really pleased with this one. :) ( photo taken with my Nikon L2 )

Delta Whiskey 04-08-2009 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34847126)
Just been having a play using Paint.net and it's great for manipulating photos. Don't know why I didn't do it before. Great fun. :D

Really pleased with this one. :) ( photo taken with my Nikon L2 )

That's rather beautiful. :)

Unless you're really serious I don't think the huge expense of Photoshop is worth it, you get most of the tools in Elements 7 for a lot less. Amazon have it on offer at the moment for £57 new and £28 used.

Delta Whiskey 04-08-2009 14:32

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example of RAW vs JPG recovery. The original image was underexposed by two stops by mistake. Fortunately the D90 can capture both RAW and JPG at the same time so I was able to recover the image.

joglynne 04-08-2009 14:33

Wahoo I'm on a roll. Why didn't I try this before. I quite fancy the idea of a series of 5 of these blown up and mounted in my sitting room. Why pay good money when Paint.net does so much for free. :D I will try the trial download of Elements though. Doing this with the photos I already have has whetted my appetite to go a step further. :)

Thanks DW for starting me off.

@ DW add...I see, there seems to be more detail in the RAW adjusted photo. Though I do like the depth of colour in the adjusted jpeg image. :)

Delta Whiskey 04-08-2009 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34847199)
Wahoo I'm on a roll. Why didn't I try this before. I quite fancy the idea of a series of 5 of these blown up and mounted in my sitting room. Why pay good money when Paint.net does so much for free. :D I will try the trial download of Elements though. Doing this with the photos I already have has whetted my appetite to go a step further. :)

Thanks DW for starting me off.

Way to go, jo. Excellent. :)

Delta Whiskey 05-08-2009 16:43

Some new Nikon compact cameras announced, including one with a built in projector! http://press.nikonusa.com/2009/08/in...videos_for.php

lauzjp 06-08-2009 14:16

Jo, you just have a natural talent for creating pretty things. :)

And I got lost on page 2 or was it 3... I give up!

jabtas 07-08-2009 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34846808)
You choose one that you think a rank amateur would have the most fun with. Thanks for humouring me. :tu: Sleep tight. :)

Apologies for taking so long to reply

We been at the caravan for a few days, and I had no web access:mad:

What do you actully intend to do with the pic, It may give me some idea of what to send

Is it just one of the firework shots that you are intrested in ??

EDIT

Just read the above posts, and I now see what you are doing

I will PM a couple of shots over

joglynne 07-08-2009 16:10

Thanks jabtas. Just had a quick dabble and thought I would let you see the result of my first manipulation of one of your photographs just using Paint Shop. The way I have mangled your photo probably isn't your cup of tea but I'm rapidly developing a fascination for the effects that can be achieved. :D

I had to reconstruct part of the eyelid and it could do with some more work but I was starting to go cross eyed cloning between 2 images on my laptop. Would have been better to use my monitor but I couldn't wait while my main computer fired up. :D

jabtas 07-08-2009 16:23

Funky :D:D

If you want to have a look at a free peice of software for adding effects to pics, much more traditonal results than your are working on tho

Check out Virtual Photographer
http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Here are some of the stuff I managed to acheive with it
http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/virtual_...er_conversions

joglynne 07-08-2009 16:42

I will have a look at Virtual Photographer over the weekend and see how it works. It was your conversions photos that started me off on this quest to change reality. :D

Add....Bobbins!!!!! I forgot, I already checked that out and I have to have photoshop to be able to use that program.

Delta Whiskey 08-08-2009 09:59

15 Great And Free Photoshop Alternatives - http://ow.ly/jkNt

I regularly use Photoscape for quick and dirty editing.

joglynne 08-08-2009 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34850104)
15 Great And Free Photoshop Alternatives - http://ow.ly/jkNt

I regularly use Photoscape for quick and dirty editing.

Thanks for that link. So far I have tried out PaintStar which has some interesting options. :tu:

jabtas 09-08-2009 16:39

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34845531)
I'm looking at buying a macro lens for my D90, a friend has lent me a Tamron 90mm macro lens to have a play with (guess who spent the first few minutes wondering why he couldn't zoom). Previous to that I was using a set of close up filters I bought off e-bay for £16, they are OK for occasional use but the quality is less than stellar.

DW, the Tamron Macro lens is supposed to be a beauty

Also check out the Sigma range of macro, I have the 105mm and very good it is too

Got this thirsty wasp with it today

Delta Whiskey 09-08-2009 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabtas (Post 34850746)
DW, the Tamron Macro lens is supposed to be a beauty

Also check out the Sigma range of macro, I have the 105mm and very good it is too

Got this thirsty wasp with it today

The only problem with the Tamron is that it's a non CPU lens which on a Nikon D90 means no autofocus and more importantly no metering either. At least the highlight warning (the blinkies) and the histogram give me some idea of what's correct. I've spent some time digging through old boxes looking for my hand held light meter, of course I can't find it. <sigh>

Love your photo's of the wasp, cracking stuff.

idi banashapan 15-08-2009 16:45

I've always found it better to get good glass by the camera manufacturer for macro and mid-range lenses. I wouldn't rate Sigma as great tbh (nor tameron) even though they have been around a long time. more budget lenses than anything. It's worth spending the majority of you budget on getting the best glass you can with a body that is good enough. it's much cheaper and easier to upgrade the body alone rather than the lens collection imo.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

oh - forgot to add what I use too...

currently use a Canon 50D as my main camera but have multiple cameras around the house for snap-shot stuff where the DSLR is too much. I mainly use the body with a Canon 17-85 Ultrasonic EF-S lens, but also have a Sigma 55-200 which I try to avoid if I can help it, but it can give nice portrait results provided the F stop is low and the light is very good. it's not that great for general use though as details are not too high. I also have a Canon Speedlite 430EX and multiple lens filters. other random bits in the bag include remote shutter release, reflector discs, tripod, etc, etc. it can get quite expensive, especially as I don't really make much money from it. More a hobby that I really enjoy.

Delta Whiskey 21-08-2009 09:31

FastStone Photo Resizer is an image converter / resizer intended to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode. Drag and Drop mouse operation is well supported.

Free for Home Users - http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

joglynne 21-08-2009 09:48

Useful looking program DW. :tu:

Delta Whiskey 21-08-2009 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34858276)
Useful looking program DW. :tu:

You can never have too many photo manipulation programs. :D

joglynne 21-08-2009 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34858318)
You can never have too many photo manipulation programs. :D

As long as they don't take any money out of my contingency shoe fund. These days you never know when you will spot a shoe sale. :D

Delta Whiskey 21-08-2009 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34858325)
As long as they don't take any money out of my contingency shoe fund. These days you never know when you will spot a shoe sale. :D

I've read about your emergency shoe fund in other threads. :D

I'm a size 12, I have to take what I can get.

Delta Whiskey 22-08-2009 16:59

http://www.earthalbum.com/

"earth album is a simpler, slicker Flickr mash-up that allows you to explore some of the most stunning photos in the world courtesy of Google maps and Flickr. To begin your journey, just click somewhere on the map, e.g. "India". Note-- since the top Flickr images are used, the images change every few weeks; bookmark this site and check back for a different experience in a month!"

Delta Whiskey 25-08-2009 17:58

1 Attachment(s)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/...ee5f2110_b.jpg

joglynne 25-08-2009 18:26

I like that photo DW you can almost see the divisions on the little chaps wings. Have you ever tried to do any, the name escapes me, freeze? photography?

I've still not had a chance to get out with my camera, having to catch up on all the time I lost due to my duff wrist has kept me inside. Still, I am starting to make inroads into my backlog of work and as I am determined not to work over the coming weekend, with luck I may have some new photos to play with soon.

On a moan note. I keep all my reference shots on an sd card and I have managed to loose it. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/4.png

I took the card to a friends house to download some photos he had that I wanted to use and realised it was missing from it's case. Can't find it anywhere. No great problem as I'm not using the photos on it for any current works but it contained the photos that I have based a lot of my work on so I feel as though I have lost something important. I can't believe I hadn't made a back up copy. I have copies of everything else salted away in various locations, so why didn't I copy these photos!

Learn from my mistake folks, keep taking backup copies.

Stephen 25-08-2009 19:25

I won a brand new camera today :)

http://www.facebook.com/tapandtake

Samsungs new touch screen compact camera. So surprised I won! its not a cheap camera either. £299

Delta Whiskey 25-08-2009 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34860835)
I like that photo DW you can almost see the divisions on the little chaps wings. Have you ever tried to do any, the name escapes me, freeze? photography?

I've still not had a chance to get out with my camera, having to catch up on all the time I lost due to my duff wrist has kept me inside. Still, I am starting to make inroads into my backlog of work and as I am determined not to work over the coming weekend, with luck I may have some new photos to play with soon.

On a moan note. I keep all my reference shots on an sd card and I have managed to loose it. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/4.png

I took the card to a friends house to download some photos he had that I wanted to use and realised it was missing from it's case. Can't find it anywhere. No great problem as I'm not using the photos on it for any current works but it contained the photos that I have based a lot of my work on so I feel as though I have lost something important. I can't believe I hadn't made a back up copy. I have copies of everything else salted away in various locations, so why didn't I copy these photos!

Learn from my mistake folks, keep taking backup copies.

I think you mean high speed flash photography. I'm saving my pennies to buy the dedicated flash gun for my Nikon D90, unfortunately it's over £300.

Hopefully you'll have some nice weather this weekend to get out there with your camera.

I learned the backup lesson a long time ago, I lost all my data when the computer hard drive was formatted instead of a floppy disk (DH0 instead of DF0), "Please insert volume Workbench" is seared on my soul. :(

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 34860861)
I won a brand new camera today :)

http://www.facebook.com/tapandtake

Samsungs new touch screen compact camera. So surprised I won! its not a cheap camera either. £299

Congratulations, you'll have to post a review of it for us.

Stephen 25-08-2009 21:14

I'll do my best, lol.

It looks a pretty cool looking piece of kit :)

AntiSilence 26-08-2009 15:44

Currently saving up to get a Canon EOS 450D. Gonna take some time lol (although I *really* want an EOS 5D MK II but they're about £3000!)

Delta Whiskey 26-08-2009 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34861461)
Currently saving up to get a Canon EOS 450D. Gonna take some time lol (although I *really* want an EOS 5D MK II but they're about £3000!)

I'd love the Nikon D3x, but at £5000+ it's well outside my pocket. I keep my fingers crossed that one day my lottery numbers will come up. :D

AntiSilence 26-08-2009 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34861575)
I'd love the Nikon D3x, but at £5000+ it's well outside my pocket. I keep my fingers crossed that one day my lottery numbers will come up. :D

Maybe one day, eh? lol

Delta Whiskey 28-08-2009 08:51

Depth of field and your digital camera:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/tech/dof.html

Delta Whiskey 28-08-2009 19:03

New version of Photoscape released today: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/history.php

Ben B 28-08-2009 19:11

I currently have a Konica KD-20M 2 Megapixel camera that I've had for several years :erm: Maybe it's time to upgrade.

KD-20M: http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-Konica_KD20M

AntiSilence 28-08-2009 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 34863035)
I currently have a Konica KD-20M 2 Megapixel camera that I've had for several years :erm: Maybe it's time to upgrade.

KD-20M: http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-Konica_KD20M

LOL. The camera on my phone is 3.2MP with a Carl Zeiss lens lol. Most phones now have around 5MP too lol.

Delta Whiskey 31-08-2009 20:56

1 Attachment(s)
Something strange about the Nikon Through The Lens Flash. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...56480/sizes/l/

Delta Whiskey 02-09-2009 14:57

Monitor Calibration Tool:
http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

Angua 02-09-2009 16:16

Hubby's flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/41534804@N06/

AntiSilence 02-09-2009 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 34865712)

Nice stuff on there.

Mine's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15201811@N03/

idi banashapan 02-09-2009 16:54

and mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesmillerdigital

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34863036)
LOL. The camera on my phone is 3.2MP with a Carl Zeiss lens lol. Most phones now have around 5MP too lol.

it's not all about the number of megapixels... a lot of the quality is down to the size and spacing of the pixels on the CMOS. the glass is also massively important, and although carl zeiss do very good glass, the size of the lens will not aid the quality in a phone camera.

AntiSilence 02-09-2009 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 34865730)
it's not all about the number of megapixels... a lot of the quality is down to the size and spacing of the pixels on the CMOS. the glass is also massively important, and although carl zeiss do very good glass, the size of the lens will not aid the quality in a phone camera.

The older cameras will have a CCD sensor and not CMOS and thus will also use more power too. My only point was that my phone can take descent snap-shots as it's got focusing too.

idi banashapan 02-09-2009 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34861461)

a 5D mkII is about £2000, so there's a saving of £1000 straight away for you! second to that, canon are releasing the 7D (see here) soon, which will be around the £1600 mark. those prices are body only.

AntiSilence 02-09-2009 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 34865776)
a 5D mkII is about £2000, so there's a saving of £1000 straight away for you! second to that, canon are releasing the 7D (see here) soon, which will be around the £1600 mark. those prices are body only.

Nice, but all still out of my price range for the near future :( Maybe one day though :)

Delta Whiskey 04-09-2009 16:58

I happened upon this piece of software yesterday, I was so impressed by the demo that I paid for the full version within the hour. I bought the extended Nikon version which cost approx £45 for a three computer licence, cheaper option are available.

"The 123 of digital imaging Interactive Learning Suite" http://www.123di.com/

joglynne 04-09-2009 17:35

Reading the contents list that seems to be a very comprehensive package DW. I will be interested in seeing what effect it will have on your photography.

On a far more mundane level my son has treated me to Photoshop Elements, not had a chance to play yet but looking forward to doing so once everything settles down with my work.

Delta Whiskey 04-09-2009 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34866933)
Reading the contents list that seems to be a very comprehensive package DW. I will be interested in seeing what effect it will have on your photography.

On a far more mundane level my son has treated me to Photoshop Elements, not had a chance to play yet but looking forward to doing so once everything settles down with my work.

I've learned a few things already and had a couple of misconceptions straightened out, I'm very impressed by it. The three computer licence means I have it on my main computer as well as my little NC10 netbook (which makes it ideal for bedtime reading).

I use Elements 7 for most of my post processing, I found this to be the best book on the subject "Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskowski http://bit.ly/13rAq1

joglynne 04-09-2009 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34866951)
I've learned a few things already and had a couple of misconceptions straightened out, I'm very impressed by it. The three computer licence means I have it on my main computer as well as my little NC10 netbook (which makes it ideal for bedtime reading).

Now that's an idea. That sounds just the thing for curing my life long insomnia. :D

Quote:

I use Elements 7 for most of my post processing, I found this to be the best book on the subject "Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskowski http://bit.ly/13rAq1
I have problems reading instruction tomes, I find myself halfway through such books with no recollection of what I have read. I just about cope with Idiot Guides :( but I am at my happiest experimenting to see what effects I can stumble upon.

Rather than try to achieve the perfect picture, which you know I can enjoy and admire as someone else's work :), I am more interested in the design elements, with my photos being a launch pad for my canvases.

Delta Whiskey 04-09-2009 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34866982)
Now that's an idea. That sounds just the thing for curing my life long insomnia. :D

What's a camera geek to do. I'm concurrently reading three books at bedtime, 'Digital Photography vol 2' by Scott Kelby, 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre
and David Busch's 'Guide to the Nikon D90' as well as the aforementioned '123di' computer software. ;)

joglynne 04-09-2009 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey (Post 34867014)
What's a camera geek to do. I'm concurrently reading three books at bedtime, 'Digital Photography vol 2' by Scott Kelby, 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre
and David Busch's 'Guide to the Nikon D90' as well as the aforementioned '123di' computer software. ;)

You are sooooooooo sad. :D

Delta Whiskey 04-09-2009 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 34867019)
You are sooooooooo sad. :D

Guilty as charged. :D

Angua 05-09-2009 10:21

Hubby is planning a trip to "The Loop" to get shots of low flying aircraft.

All trips out seem to be planned round the photo opportunities these days. :rolleyes:

Delta Whiskey 05-09-2009 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 34867288)
Hubby is planning a trip to "The Loop" to get shots of low flying aircraft.

All trips out seem to be planned round the photo opportunities these days. :rolleyes:

Get your own camera and look for images that interest you at the same event, there's plenty of 'human interest' (to take one example) photos to be made when people are watching an event. You never know you might get hooked.