Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MH17 Passenger Jet was shot down by Russia - Dutch Officials say (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706405)

Mick 24-05-2018 11:01

MH17 Passenger Jet was shot down by Russia - Dutch Officials say

BREAKING: https://news.sky.com/story/mh17-plan...ssile-11383700

Quote:

The missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over Ukraine in 2014 was from the Russian military, Dutch investigators have said.

Detailed analysis of video images has established that the Buk missile that hit the plane came from a Russian-based military unit.

All 298 passengers and crew died when the plane came down over eastern Ukraine on 17 July, 2014.

Damien 24-05-2018 11:42

Re: MH17 Passenger Jet was shot down by Russia Dutch Officials say

I for one am shocked.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

How long until the useful idiots turn up on RT or Twitter to question this you reakon?

nomadking 24-05-2018 12:05

Let's assume it was the Russians, even though the missile is re-markedly intact. The reason for it being there is attacks by the Ukrainian Air Force. If Syrian rebels are allowed to shoot down aircraft, why not in that situation? One side with an air force attacking the other that doesn't have one.

Carth 24-05-2018 12:07

oh dear, that's not going to go down well :shocked:

One now fully expects Russia to reveal it has completed its own investigation, and the traitorous unit commander (scapegoat), and his final resting place, will be revealed shortly :D

Hugh 24-05-2018 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35947812)
Let's assume it was the Russians, even though the missile is re-markedly intact. The reason for it being there is attacks by the Ukrainian Air Force. If Syrian rebels are allowed to shoot down aircraft, why not in that situation? One side with an air force attacking the other that doesn't have one.

You appear to be justifying Russia shooting down a Malaysian civilian passenger airliner which was overflying a country on it's way to its destination by comparing it to Syrian rebels shooting down a Russian warplane which was involved in attacking the rebels - am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

Civilian aircraft have transponders identifying the fact that they are civilian, and the flight was at 33000 feet, not the normal operating height for ground attack aircraft - the SU25 which was shot down in Syria was undertaking groud support attack activities.

One was a war aircraft participating in war zone, one was a civilian passenger aircraft flying over it - big difference.

Damien 24-05-2018 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35947813)
oh dear, that's not going to go down well :shocked:

One now fully expects Russia to reveal it has completed its own investigation, and the traitorous unit commander (scapegoat), and his final resting place, will be revealed shortly :D

Yes, legitimising shooting down a civilian aircraft isn't going to go down well. Utterly disgusting.

edit: Sorry Carth! I just noticed you were referring to Russia and not nomad's post. :dunce:

Carth 24-05-2018 13:09

I've just been reading this stuff . . interesting when you get down to the 'radar, aircraft recognition' parts

http://www.whathappenedtoflightmh17....hot-down-mh17/

Civilian aircraft do not carry equipment to respond to a IFF interogation. An exception are airliners from Canada and the US. So IFF is primarily for military aircraft.

In case an Ukraine BUK was used by separatists the operator would target military aircraft of Ukraine. However a missile would not lock on a friendly aircraft because of IFF. The missile could only lock on non friendly targets like MH17. This for sure must have been noticed by the operator. The operator can only launch on a friendly aircraft by overruling IFF notice.

In case a Russian BUK would have been used, both for an Ukraine military aircraft and MH17 would appear to the operator as enemy aircraft.

Not that it makes any difference, just wondering how you could mistake a civilian airliner for a legitimate target with all the technology available. How someone decided it was a target is beyond me . . murder most foul

Hugh 24-05-2018 13:59

Re: MH17 Passenger Jet was shot down by Russia - Dutch Officials say

However, most civil aircraft have a transponder which transmits the aircraft height, speed, altitude, registration and flightnumber on a radio frequency - IFF is just part of a targeting system.

As you say, how could they mistake a civilian airliner for a military target - probably didn't care.

1andrew1 24-05-2018 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35947817)
Yes, legitimising shooting down a civilian aircraft isn't going to go down well. Utterly disgusting.

Words fail me.

pip08456 24-05-2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35947830)
Words fail me.

That's a first! :D

Maggy 25-05-2018 08:45

Play nicely.

Uncle Peter 25-05-2018 13:53

The BUK system is designed to operate with a dedicated target acquisition radar array which can be data linked to several launchers. However, an individual launcher vehicle can also operate autonomously and acquire low-mid altitude targets with an integral back-up radar system.

The crew may well have tried to acquire a low altitude target and missed hopelessly, thus MH17 was in the wrong place at the wrong time and in the upward trajectory of the missile in radar homing mode.

The problem here is getting the Russians to admit that they had and have regular air defence forces operating in the area let alone the fact that they appear to have made one monumental screw-up.

alanbjames 25-05-2018 13:57

The Russians making a mistake and killing the innocent? I am shocked!

OLD BOY 25-05-2018 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35947807)
I for one am shocked.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

How long until the useful idiots turn up on RT or Twitter to question this you reakon?

Shocked? I thought we had already guessed!

Ramrod 25-05-2018 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35947807)
I for one am shocked

Is that sarcasm? :confused: